Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Schwarzwald posted:

Having never seen the original film, the impression I get from this is that those helmets are VR, and that the aliens and the attacking human are fake and the bored woman is upset her boyfriend is so hardcore about this alien FPS.

Spoiler for the first movie: the aliens suck out people's brains to use for their alien tech or something, I forgot the details. But I guess they can't suck brains through a motorcycle helmet

E: Oh yeah there's bright lights too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

In like 5 years we can have some guy homebrewing a version of the movie with "good-enough" quality effects to replace the cute squid with its true gigeresque form. I for one look forward to the true de-disneyfied Monster Trucks that will scare kids sleepless for a decade.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1y5Viz2EsA

Nightmares for literally 5 years.

I guess it actually is pretty scary even if it looks kinda bad when you're an adult. I remembered it as the scariest thing in the world.

I was too old to be scared when I got to see ET & those, cause we didn't have money when I was little & so could only watch what was on TV & didn't have a VCR until I was 10. I must have been at least 12 before I saw ET.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 6, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FreudianSlippers posted:

Doesn't the Brother's Lionheart and with the kids throwing themselves of a roof to get back to the fantasy world?

It starts with them throwing themselves out of a window cause their building is on fire & the younger brother has tuberculosis. The older brother dies, but saves the younger brother (cause he lands on him). Then the younger brother dies from the tuberculosis anyway. Then they both show up in Nangijala (no idea how it's spelled in English, this is the Danish, not the original Swedish, spelling). Okay that's fine, but then after the whole Nangijala thing with Katla the dragon and the medieval thing & stuff, I think one of the brothers die, and then the other brother is just like "welp" and kills himself and then he meets the dead brother in Nangilima

The message being: If your life is poo poo or your people are dead? Just kill yourself and hang out with them. It's very hosed up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shageletic posted:

So I'm actually just interested in talking about what movies are greenlighted this year, rather than just hear about people's high school experiences.

New dets on Refn's new movie, sounds interesting: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/01/11/the-avenging-silence-nicolas-winding-refn-plot-details

It kinda sounds like a pastiche of a Refn plot

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The opening of The Happening is really well directed though. Creeping horror done well & you don't yet know that it's a comedy. Do yourself a favor and watch this clip all the way through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2f22rpTm_0

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sleep paralysis is a very specific thing that triggers a panic response because you can't move and your brain thinks there's something near or on you. It's very distinct from dreams.

Sleep paralysis can be weird as hell too. One time I woke up to my dad stepping on my throat with shoes on, I couldn't breathe. I realized what was going on, but even so it doesn't matter what you "know" and what you experience & also I was on so much adrenalin that for a bit I just laid there in my bedroom and cried out. That was worse than all the usual supernatural monster ones put together.

And my dad is chill as hell & he's never hurt me or anyone so far as I know, so I have no idea why my brain thought that that particular paralysis vision was a good idea.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 17, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that dudes face makes me really uncomfortable

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DoctorWhat posted:

Fortunately, if you're intellectually aware of the phenomenon and especially if you've experienced it before, you're lucid enough that you can recognize what's happening and minimize the negative experience, but I've seen devil-dogs impersonating my puppy and other horrors. Not fun!

It can help, but it's not a guarantee. I guess it depends on how woke (lol) you are, cause sometimes it's easy to fight, and other times, it's like a nightmarish prison. You lie there telling yourself "this is just sleep paralysis, no big deal", but also there's a rotten meatgolem lurching toward your immobile body.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Femur posted:

I am not questioning if it's a real distinct thing found by medical science, I am saying, in the old days, it comes and goes, iirc, pretty quickly, why wouldn't people pass it off as a dream? do people feel, this is the line that I have woken up? i mean most days its obvious, but sometimes i remember the residues of something, think something happened, then slowly clear my head.

as for vampires, so all monsters stories are the same.. to scare your kids into conforming, or for adults, explaining seductions and losing fights?

why are vampires/ghosts or whatever attached with this sleep thing? I feel ghosts when I am awake, alone in the dark, despite rationally not believing in them.

You are definitely at least like 90% mentally awake. You're way more aware than if you're lucid dreaming, which is pretty aware.

At least in my experience, lucid dreams just get put in the old dream-box so I have to write them down fast when I wake up if I want to remember them for later. In sleep paralysis, everything works in my brain. Memories & language/spelling (spelling doesn't usually work correctly in my dreams, even if lucid). I'm just trapped in a dead body & there's a goddamned presence nearby.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Femur posted:

I guess the problem for me was that I assume my experience is everyones. like I don't dream like you at all. I don't even believe I dream at all. I just wake up and the day goes on. sometimes I think I experience something, than wake up worried/scared, until it clears and relax that it wasn't real. I assume this is just dreaming. So like if i eeriely can't move, a great pressure coming over me, then suddenly I can, well, to me, the before was a dream. To me all those things before was whatever dream. I thought people in general would just do the same throughout history.

I can't assume this is the same process for everyone.

Gotcha. You do dream; everybody dreams (it's a natural process), but your brain is real quick to flush it out when you wake up. That's natural, too. Dreams aren't supposed to be saved for posterity, it's basically just your brain imagining things & trying things & going nuts while you sleep, and then it gets deleted.

Even as someone who is pretty good about remembering dreams, it takes a lot of effort. My method is keeping my eyes closed as I wake up, then going over the locations in my mind, the persons, etc, working down to the plot (or lack thereof). My brain is 100% gungho on just deleting eveything. Sometimes I can feel it happen, I feel like going "wait but the islands and the weather!" or something, but it's being deleted, so now I only remember those words, and not what they mean or signify.

I'm surprised you've never experienced that. Waking up to a dream that you wish you could remember, but nope?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also: Dream interpretation is bullshit.

You can use whatever in the dream as conversation starters if you're an actual psychologist, but there's no 1:1 symbolism

a danish newspaper had a feature or something about dreams, and i sent in a dream i had & they picked it. so they got 4 diffent professional "dream interpreters" to look at it, and it was increddibly pedestrian

like, at one point in the dream i was taking a chemistry class in italy & a guy from my class stole a chemical, it was kinda viscuous, glowy. anyway in the dream i was then suddenly in a forest near a cave with my younger brothers. for some reason i smeared the radioactive green chemical poo poo on my face to scare them, but then it started to burn a little & i scratched at it & my skin started to flake off & i pulled the skin & muscle off my face, leaving just the skull

Dream Interpreter: "you are afraid to lose face before your brothers"

like a: of course nobody wants that
and b: "lose face" wow you really paid attention good job :bravo:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Skwirl posted:

Nah, it's modern American Evangelical Christianity where God reveals himself to the lost and the fallen constantly, not Old Testament book of Job God. Swap the aliens for literal red devils with horns and Mel Gibson for Kirk Cameron, Kevin Sorbo or that Baldwin who went crazy and it's basically one of a dozen movies that are released direct to video every year.

Yeah the weltanschauung of Signs is 100% weird American protestantism. Everyone is Job, but also everyone kinda deserves it (until they figure out the secret clue).

It's really well put together though, and Joaquin Phoenix in particular is great

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Or you just have to think you're good in order to also think you always know who/what to shoot.

checks out

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Skwirl posted:

It's less about quality control than trying to produce content for as many different demographics as possible. I don't give a poo poo about Fuller House, but the people who were excited about it probably had little interest in say, Master of None.

Though a good chunk of their original poo poo is pretty loving atrocious.

This makes a lot of sense, and tbh I think it's good they're trying even if they gently caress up a lot. There's a lot of demographics that don't get enough tailored media.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUVsDy0sc3k

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mierenneuker posted:

One more reason to watch the adaptation of Orwell's 1984 I guess...

the acting is fantastic, the direction is "old" as in there arent so many fast cuts as we are used to now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sometimes I wish there were two greenlighted threads; one for comic book movies & one for other movies. I really don't give a poo poo about comic book movies, but I guess the other thread would just be dead anyway so I'll probably stay subscribed to this one & just wear out my scroll wheel.

Anyway apparently von Trier is working on a new thing with Matt Dillon & Bruno Ganz:

quote:

USA in the 1970s. We follow the highly intelligent Jack over a span of 12 years and are introduced to the murders that define Jack's development as a serial killer. We experience the story from Jack's point of view, while he postulates each murder is an artwork in itself. As the inevitable police intervention is drawing nearer, he is taking greater and greater risks in his attempt to create the ultimate artwork. Along the way we experience Jack's descriptions of his personal condition, problems and thoughts through a recurring conversation with the unknown Verge - a grotesque mixture of sophistry mixed with an almost childlike self-pity and psychopathic explanations. The House That Jack Built is a dark and sinister story, yet presented through a philosophical and occasional humorous tale.

I kinda have an idea why this was greenlit tho.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I haven't seen Suicide Squad, but Margot Robbie was very good in Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R3c7jM-Wlk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, Obama isn't going to like this at all

Whooo got that joke in just in time

*gives self high five*

*thinks its 2011*
                        /

:(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

shadowvine118 posted:

Why would anyone get upset over watching their country's land and monuments getting destroyed in silly CG riddled movies? I love watching the U.S. get its poo poo wrecked.

It saddens me deeply that there's only one Kaiju movie taking place in my home country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFQqmHQMJBY (that bridge stunt tho!)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The MSJ posted:

I feel obligated to watch Ghost In The Shell because an actor from my country is playing a supporting character in it.

you a dane?

I lolled when I saw it was Pilou Asbæk who's going to play Batou. He's a fantastic actor, but I have a hard time seeing him as a huge buff guy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

They should name her Cortana, tint all scenes blue, and get a huge sum of money from microsoft

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The MSJ posted:

Malaysian. He's playing an original character that apparently shares a lot of scenes with ScarJo.

This Pilou guy does look Chris Pratt-y. Unsurprisingly, he was also in Game of Thrones.

Are his eyes looking in different directions?

Ohh hah. I just naturally assumed that any "foreign" actor would be the one I knew. I don't think I've seen Pete Teo in a movie, is he good in general?

Yea Pilou is kinda walleyed lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The MSJ posted:

I honestly haven't seen him in much, but I did like this election PSA music video he did (that was banned because apparently putting someone in a Jabba The Hutt costume in front of a picture of Prime Minister Najib Razak is 'suggestive' [of him eating up public funds, I guess]).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1hllAhSXLA

that song's catchy as heck though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

undilah~

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lobok posted:

Just have the Architect introduce the premise for each standalone episodic movie like Rod Serling at the beginning of each Twilight Zone.

*steeples fingers*

"Imagine if you will, a matrix" – images of a green-tinted late 90s metropolis – "There one is, minding one's own business" – cut back to architect winking at the camera.

"What if," *dramatic pause* "the matrix was red!!" Images of Neo and Trinity having trouble seeing with their wraparound shades, idk something with a streetlight and a pileup? You get it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's an old shoot, but there's some pretty good ones in between

http://unrealitymag.com/movies/actors-return-to-their-most-legendary-roles-for-empires-20th/

Holy poo poo it's been 7 years?!?!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

TetsuoTW posted:

Hahaha Unforgiven? More like No Fucks Given

Imo the Matt Damon yearbook photos are the worst.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

muscles like this! posted:

Stallone has announced that he's dropping out of the next Expendables movie. Apparently even he realizes that they suck.

He should do an earnest Cobra sequel. I think the market is ready for it.

Just him, Gary Busey (or Jake if Gary is retired), Judge Reinhold maybe? Some kinda LA crime gang is tattooing drugs into hot babes and the only way to stop them is to get Cobra back in the game

It takes place in 1991, no gimmicks, no winking at the camera.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lobok posted:

Might as well just jump on that Netflix money train and do a Cobra series.

Now we're talking! Start out slow, make it possible to do more seasons, à la House of Cards.

Framework is always the same: Marion "Cobra" Cobretti (holy poo poo I remembered his name without checking) is unemployed, eating pizzas with scissors on his weird beachfront property. Angry black police chief needs the case solved stat & they gotta bring him back in. Sunglasses, toothing a matchstick/toothpick, that big old Harley. Cobra fixes it up, with the help of this season's guest starring actor (thinking someone like Gregory Elliniovitch for the first season), then retires. For good. Until the next season.

Also all the criminals use Tek-9s, no exceptions.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ruddiger posted:

It should've also lived up to its name and been a blood bath of a movie. Stallone should've been the only one left alive at the end of the first one.

And maybe Statham.

Then surround them with a whole new team of action movie guys in the sequels. Don the Dragon Wilson ain't doing poo poo man! Call his rear end up!

They wouldn't even need to replace everyone. An onscreen death hasn't been final in movies for a long rear end time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PJOmega posted:

This is the weirdest GI Joe fanfic I've read in the last 23 minutes.

No man Cobra is intense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Bn-_j-4Mw

Check out that apocalypticalism(sp?)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 1, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Snowman_McK posted:

It's a really dull film. God knows how a film with Sam Rockwell as an evil CEO, Mickey Rourke as a crazy Russian inventor, Scarlett Johansson as karate spy lady and an army of robots ended up dull, but here we are.

I completely forgot Sam Rockwell was in that movie. Sam Rockwell is on my personal top 10 & I forgot he was in it. That's how forgettable it is

I remember Rourke being all over the place, but it fits with his drunk bird-owning character so I don't mind

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Disco De Soto posted:

What? Someone post the gif of him doing the dance.

no worries, i googled up sam rockwell + ironman + youtube

actually those scenes are just eh. not my rockwell imo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They should go the other way and play with the idea of aging action stars, by simply having his character suffer from undiagnosed Alzheimer's and forget to show up for the action.

I was going to make a joke about stepping it up a notch, but gently caress there are already multiple baby boomer action franchises

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You know who should direct the Cobra sequel? Panos Cosmatos.

oj da, this is it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

he tweets a lot for having disappeared completely (unless the account is fake i guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah even if it wasnt him, that account owns

• Locked thread