Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I still agree with Hbomberguy's video, but a movie based on a Liefeld character was the most successful comic book movie of 2016.

Liefeld did create him but the character we got was more like Nicieza's or Kelly's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mercedes? C'mon, he should obviously be driving an Italian car.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RBA Starblade posted:

I still get a laugh out of how the internet horror monster is a tall, fit, well-dressed white guy.

He can start a club with Dracula and the Phantom of the Opera.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Barudak posted:

Neither of these are inherintly white skinned.

Foiled by Blacula yet again!

Not sure how we're defining white skin but I'll give you Phantom if we're being purists. Didn't know he was so jaundiced and zombie-ish in the original novel. I think of Phantom and I imagine Lon Cheney or the Andrew Lloyd Weber version.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Barudak posted:

Actually funny you say that, I just went to a performance of Phantom of the Opera a few weeks ago with a Black Phantom since, well, there is nothing about the character mandating his whiteness.

I will also say, the play takes on a very different subtext in that context where an escaped black slave runs around killing people by lynching them during operas about African conquerors and cuckoldry.

Assuming Christine was white, it also gives a bit of a different flavour to the Angel of Music teaching and him stealing her away.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shoulda called the eighth one "The Fate of the Ocean's" like all the best movies are doing these days.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is that Carl Sagan, and is his name something appropriate to Flintstone's?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Casimir Radon posted:

Why in the gently caress did everyone get to watch The Name of the Rose in high school.

Sean Connery's one handsome motherfucker.

Edit: Speaking of Connery, we got to watch You Only Live Twice in high school chemistry once, but only because I had it on me. Something went wrong with the teacher's lesson plan or the supplies were missing, and he was wondering what we could do. I was just like, "uhh, I have a James Bond movie in my bag" so he wheeled in the TV and we watched it.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 11, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

God that movie is a piece of poo poo, some people who though it was really deep showed it to a group of us and got pissed when I exclaimed "oh, it's that deaf actress" when Marlee Matlin showed up. I guess they thought it was a spoiler because the framing story is shot in such a way that you can't tell she's deaf until the end, which is an okay concept, but don't hire the worlds most famous deaf actress if you want that to be a twist. She has an Academy Award and was a regular guest star on The West Wing for gently caress's sake.

And Seinfeld.

"What are you, deaf?!"
"Bingo!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did he write Split? Or just direct it?

Also, he made his name doing suspense and thrillers so this should be in his wheelhouse.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Simplex posted:

I tend to think Mark Wahlberg is a a younger William H. Macy who doesn't know he's William H. Macy.

This makes Boogie Nights one hell of a weird time travel movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of demons, Tonya Harding as portrayed by Margot Robbie:

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/821008892989575168

Harley Quinn can now bench press Batman.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Groovelord Neato posted:

still got no booty lmao

She's playing a white woman in the early 90s so that's accurate.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sleep paralysis is easy to interpret as some supernatural force if you're not at all aware of the science of sleep. Anything that's at all scary can easily feel like malevolence.

Hell, it's easy to feel like there's something out to get you just from the dark. I take my dog out to pee every night before bed and lately the light over the back door of our building has been out. It's the same door I've gone in thousands of times and at different times of the night but only because of the light being out have I started to get the heebie-jeebies using that door.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Someone described the latest xXx as Vin Diesel making his own Threat Level Midnight and now I'm psyched to see it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Calaveron posted:

I still maintain that the megazord's face is a screen because they're going to project Zordon's face on it during the climax

Aw hell yeah. Learn from the best.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm watching the new xx x movie and wow, this is such an aged dude Bro show. The target audience seems to be people nursing either five sexually transmitted diseases or paying support for illegitimate twins after a few full moon parties.

Are you not also in the audience...?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Doesn't look like the director has much in his resume that would point to him being a good action movie director. And according to IMDB he is rumoured to be doing the next GI Joe.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ammanas posted:

What the hell is oriental orange

More politically correct than oriental yellow.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Slugworth posted:

My Suicide Squad complaint is pretty minor, but I think it'd have been much more effective to switch around the bomb and the Diablo reveal. Bomb fails, then Diablo saves the day with his crazy also-a-god powers.

Diabolus ex machina?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

Something like 90% of people vote the opposite of what their parents did though.

Yeah, saying that you were raised as something doesn't mean you're still that something. Can depend on your own socioeconomic status or simply your relationship with your parents. Lots of people raised religious turn into gently caress You Dad atheists.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ammanas posted:

I really, really wish they'd take all the money they're sinking into OC and spent it on acquiring a decent, stable streaming catalogue of movies and TV shows. The US Netflix selection is total garbage with a few good movies that you and everyone else has seen a half dozen times already

If other companies weren't intent on freezing them out or outbidding them for all that content they might have stuck with that but they've clearly decided it's not a reliable, long-term business model to keep vying for the same content everyone else is when they can instead produce exclusive content they can own forever.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phylodox posted:

What it means in the short term, though, is that everyone and their brother wants their own streaming service with exclusive rights. So here in Canada, for example, you end up with cable-company owned poo poo like Crave and Shomi buying up the exclusive streaming rights to stuff so Netflix can't.

They tried to copy what Netflix was and now you're seeing them try to copy what Netflix has become. Amazon got into creating exclusive content for itself and not content with being a rental service, Apple/iTunes is producing its own content now as well. The landscape for "television" (whatever that will mean in a decade) is really changing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Ejaculation Proclamation

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

21 Muns posted:

[movie] will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if [sequel to movie] makes x billion dollars, or more than ten times what any movie in the franchise has made.

[movie] will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if [sequel to movie] makes x billion dollars, or more than ten times what any movie in the franchise has made.

All [movie] and no [sequel to movie] make Jack a dull boy

I really hope you used a script to generate that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brother Entropy posted:

would play the snes-era jrpg these designs are from

And you would only find out decades later from unearthed dev art that the Baron's outfit was supposed to be multi-coloured and made of scales and not just "yellow".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edit: Beaten like anyone who kidnaps Col. Trautman

The MSJ posted:

The most recent game was released a year ago and it was pretty good.

The second reboot game had more tomb raiding, but I must say the most fun part to me was stalking and stealth-killing all the bad guys with arrows.

Caves, stalking, and silently killing dudes with arrows?

Alicia VIkander IS Lara Croft in...

Rambo III

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'd say the 80s had good action movies because of consumerism, the Cold War, and the fear of nuclear weapons before I'd attribute them to Reagan.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the German dub of the Simpsons the German Exchange Student is Swiss.

He does love chocolate so that works.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They haven't even announced a release date for it here in Australia yet:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/where-is-john-wick-2-australia-demands-answers/

What the actual christ. :argh:

Maybe I shouldn't be running a movie theatre but if there was a sick new action film out and I could put it up on my marquee and website as unrated I would do so in a heartbeat. "Check out the action flick that censors are too scaaaared to watch!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Genuine question: who the gently caress is Frank Grillo?

That's him there, on the floor.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Even if Evans based The Raid on a Dredd script, who cares. It means we got two very different and very awesome films out of the same idea. And I truly believe that The Raid had nothing to do with Dredd's poor performance.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Keanu's been associated with action almost since the beginning. Before Wick it was the Matrix. Before the Matrix it was Speed. Before that, Point Break. And other action movies sprinkled in between.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LucyWanabe posted:

Re: Timeline (the book, anyway. Haven't seen the movie in ages)--

It wasn't a "fax", they used fax as a way to explain some nasty errors that cropped up later. The time machine tapped into a wormhole that led only to that specific time and place in the past, so I don't know where this whole time travel theme park thing is coming from because they can only send people to medieval France and nowhere else (and not a parallell France, either. It's our France). So the Marek that left a message was their Marek.

I agree that a lot of it was pretty bad, though, but they weren't faxing people bad. :v:

I think it was something about how some of the earlier travellers racked up enough trips that they started to get photocopy of a photocopy errors. Like imagine slicing a picture of someone in two and then trying to line up the two slices perfectly again but being just slightly off. People had their bones and cellular walls and blood vessels not quite lining up or connecting properly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PJOmega posted:

Improbable Lobster's stupidity aside I want a new version of Jurassic Park with the T-Rex replaced by this thing. It might even be more terrifying.

You could probably raise the money real quick through crowdfunding but the donors would claim false advertising once they see what you meant by Jurassic Park: Furry Edition.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

and yet...

Loving that Canada doesn't get separated out but Bolivia gets its own line.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sbaldrick posted:

Canada and the US have been counted as the same for box office purposes since the 1930s

Oh I know but I've always figured that was mostly because our box office didn't add much relative to the States' total so it's funny seeing Bolivia adding a cool $100 G's.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I mean, "what if Maid Marian was Robin Hood" is pretty good but what about "what if Little John was Maid Marian"?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This was an okay joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's time for this maid

to TAKE OUT THE TRASH

*let the bodies hit the floor.mp3*