Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

Sharing YouTube clips from Godzilla movies to keep my two-year-old cousin occupied and I'd forgotten A) how many of these fights are just monsters taking turns blasting each other with lasers and B) 80s era Godzilla probably isn't the best stuff for two-year-olds

The Heisei series was particularly bad for this, yeah. Koichi Kawakita, the SFX director, didn't like the way the monsters in old movies fought like pro wrestlers, and the suits tended to be bulkier and less mobile than the ones in the older films, so it pretty much degenerated into "beam wars".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Hellbunny posted:

Because it represent his own failure to actually help the poor and helpless, instead being a mix between "feel good" moment generator and an ersatz rescue service.

I would say the people he actually rescues in those movies would not consider their rescues ersatz.

Like he arguably isn't doing as much good as he could but I don't think the film ever makes a case that he's bad. It's more a test of just how much he's willing to really sacrifice- to Batman and others, an invulnerable godlike alien swooping in and rescuing people is not proof of said alien being unimpeachably good, because it's not like he's really risking it all. And throughout the film Superman has that doubt as well- is he doing all that he can.

(I didn't think it was a terribly good movie either, though. Once again the script is too busy and gets in the way of the major emotional/thematic thrusts- though in fairness this is based on the theatrical cut since that's the one Netflix delivered.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Fox and Disney clearly already have an arrangement, we've gotten several reissues of the BRs/DVDs with new SKUs and such (the steelbooks, for example) since the buyout.

So with any release of the unaltered OT the question presumably becomes one of who pays what.

Anyway, KC Goons, Love Witch hits the Drafthouse on Friday.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
First movie of 2017: La La Land and holy poo poo that was awesome. First movie in a LONG time I've come out really just loving absolutely.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
eXistenZ is so far the closest to outright comedy Cronenberg has let himself get and it's great for it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Love Witch did not disappoint. I like how it does camp, not in a "Haha look how bad this is" kinda way but more "yeah this is kinda cheesy and absurd but just go along with it so we can tell the story." There are definitely some sloppy parts but overall it's fun. And the camera freakin' loves Samantha Robinson.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Gorman Thomas posted:

did you see it at cinefamily? I feel dumb for not seeing it last month before all the showings started getting sold out

Just started at the KC Drafthouse.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Bloodline is at least interesting because A) it's clearly the poorly stitched together remains of the movie the director actually made and B) Adam Scott has a role as a foppish cultist.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Yo I got a food-for-thought question for y'all. If you could remake one movie which one and why?

And to be clear, this is you remaking it. Not like "I want John Carpenter to do Jurassic Park" or whatnot.

I've thought about this myself and I get caught between Orca and Exorcist II: The Heretic.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh another good remake candidate, Argento's Inferno. Suspiria's untouchable but Inferno desperately needed a stronger through-line. I'd keep all the Three Mothers stuff since that's sort of an interesting idea that wasn't explored well. Also the giant skeleton thing at the end, and the Keith Emerson theme.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Given the "fifth kind of liberalism" but in the quoted essay, it's odd that White so often goes into "the reason people don't see this the way I do is because they're brain-damaged/corrupted/etc." There's a heavy "why don't you idiots GET IT?!" Vibe to so much of his stuff (and this is even before he became known as a contrarian. In some old issue of Film Comment he was on some rant blaming the Rodney King verdict on the same visual illiteracy that made people think The Color Purple was a good movie... Or something.)

If the purpose of writing is to communicate ideas he's not very good at it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Just applied for a research job that I'm actually qualified for and would pay a living wage and allow me to move to the city, so lend me your fuckin energy everybody.

Gonna be real hard waiting for three+ weeks to hear back while still working full time in a call center+living in a laundry room

Good fortune!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Screenplays are an odd sort of art in that they're written to be read not by a general audience but by very specific people- the other people making the film (including investors.) So there's both a specific jargon and a sort of intimacy, it's shop talk. The rules can often be twisted because something about the project has already been decided- The Artist script says "this is silent, 1.33:1, black and white" because that was the entire conceit of the movie.

Someone on the Arrival thread posted a link to a bunch of free, legal scripts here: https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/movie-script-library-free-legal-598182505ed9#.yh5yahglz

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

The thing with scripts is, they have a very specific function, (as said by therattle) so they can't be completely loose in how they're created. One of my first big scrips, I wrote paragraphs of backstory for the main characters, thinking that was how characters were created on the page. I mistook what Dan O'Bannon said in the making of Alien about him writing every character's back story for the actors, and put it into the actual script rather than something on the side for the actors to chew on.

Which is why I needed people like Hulk to guide me in the technical aspects, and for looking at different ways to create a character besides jamming their backstory in as a footnote. It might be basic stuff, but learning about the character trees, and his examples of how character was shown just through action, and how to write that was very helpful. Heck, so was the dreaded Max Landis. I won't defend him, but his tips are very interesting and helpful, even if you don't really like his work. He knows how to write an effective script, as evident by him getting work. So I would apply those tips for my own work on a technical basis, which I honestly don't think is a terrible thing to do.

I mean, I'd listen to tips by like, Brett Ratner too. While I don't really like his work, he's still a name in Hollywood, so there's at least something he does right.

Really, there's no better instruction than just reading scripts. Scripts to movies that turned out good, bad, indifferent- it's all in seeing how writers use the format and how it can be manipulated and various techniques. Note what signs there are of the overall tone/atmosphere of the finished film (if there is one- there are scripts out there for movies that never got made, or movies that turned out radically different.) Think about alternate ways the same script might have been handled by another filmmaker (I could easily envision Ed Wood being made in a more "naturalistic" way, not that it would necessarily have been better.)

The side note is to avoid shooting scripts because those all have camera angles blocked out and that is NOT what the screenwriter does. Sadly many published scripts go with that because it's closest to the finished film.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm about halfway through Gymkata and why does it have such a bad reputation this owns

I love how it's so much weirder than just its premise suggests.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Hidden Figures is pretty good. Hope Taraji P. Henson gets some awards consideration at the very least, though the rest of the cast is also fun (and Hardison from Leverage is in it!)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I was just gonna post it here, cool if I do that? It's not a script (lol I am too lazy to write anything, ever) or even a page outline just a drawing of my comic's heroine, PUNCH MAIDEN.

PUNCH MAIDEN is a 30 year old magical girl from Newark, NJ. The quickest way I can describe her is if Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Sarah Connor had a baby. She loves heavy metal, beer, the New York Football Giants and hitting things.

Here's a picture of her in costume -

And one that shows the details more clearly -

e: I haven't decided what part of Newark she lives in exactly, but she works and spends a lot of time around wherever pretentious hipsters might congregate (Ironbound?) She frequently encounters such as depicted here -

Full costume seems a little busy but I'd have to see it in action. Looks good otherwise.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Oh, dammit. My Mom loves their Christmas album.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm gonna be in LA next week and probably spend most of my time looking at cool movie-related poo poo. What should I go see? I'm staying at a hotel in Hollywood not far from the Chinese Theater, but I'm willing to hike/uber a bit.

Griffith Park!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Plus old vinyl is cheap unless you're collecting major classics or something. That's a big part of the medium's appeal for me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'd heavily disagree, it's one of the ugliest movies I've ever seen.

See more movies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I don't understand. Are those screens supposed to demonstrate that it's not ugly?

What's ugly? The rich colors? The contrasts between shapes? The composition?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

The only shot I like in the movie is when Anakin and Obi Wan clash their sabers together and the volcano explodes. Everything else is...ehhh. It's just too cartoony. I get why people like it, but it ain't my thang.

If it was like, a comic book movie or something, then I could be down with it.

... it's Star Wars. It is literally Flash Gordon serials with a higher budget.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Star Wars never looked like that before.

Nah the OT at its best had a lot of vivid colors and sharp contrast between forms as well. Rogue One looked kinda muddy by comparison and it was the worse for it (despite being a good film overall.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

No thought were put into any of these in those screencaps, they're all gently caress ugly with Vaseline lighting.

Yes the contrast here is clearly by accident. The gentle purple-gold below, a harsh chunky white-and-red war machine above, the first shot in the movie clearly says nothing about war at the heart of "utopia".

quote:

A seductive light show, cool waters and again gentle purples and blues, but look at who's sitting where. Anakin is at the center, and seated at his right hand is the Devil, telling him sweet, tempting half-truths. There is nobody on the other side.

quote:

Contrast between dingy, grey machinery and the sharp light of the displays behind. Already signs of violence, but the tin soldiers are holding in the background, making way for the main players. Grievous still occupies the position of power (center right), but Obi-Wan's getting up in his personal space.

quote:

Apocalypse in the background, a cool rational light space behind Obi-Wan, but they're both lit by the inferno. Anakin not only occupies the center-right but looms larger thanks to the perspective. This is not, at the moment, a meeting of equals. Anakin's at a high, Obi-Wan's trying to tempt him back to sanity.

Vaseline lighting? All the outlines and the textures are perfectly clear.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Speaking of contrasts, do you see any loving shadows ANYWHERE?

Look at the shot with General Grievous. Look at the background. How is it such an evenly light an boring expansive grey space.

Wrong, the right side of the room is clearly darker and more in shadow.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

My screen must be totally jacked up, because nothing you describe is in this shot. It's completely bland. There is no contrast. No sharp light.

Those orangey triangles in the background? The bright pastel oranges, the blue of the lightsaber, the sparks from the sabered droid?

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 31, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's not like the film goes nuts in motion, though. Lucas' fairly conservative use of camera angles- the "medium shots everywhere" approach for which RLM gives him so much grief- actually has the upside of allowing greater control of the elements within the space, and this in fact WAS the style for much of the OT (Empire has a few more intense close ups though.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

God that's ugly.

Yeah I hate art deco Golden Age pulp stuff too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What is it with Star Wars Prequel screencaps that bring out the exact same writing style in defense of them, no matter where you are? It always sounds like grasping at straws, a conspiracy theory view that you KNOW the truth that no one else does, and you pull together tenuous evidence to support the views.

This isn't a conspiracy theory, it's "here are where things are in the shot and how the colors are put together." This is all on-screen stuff. That's how criticism works.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Toebone posted:

I too love the endless gray seas of Art Deco

Yeah old movies never had scenes where everything was heavily fogged over for effect

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

I'm glad some people like the prequels but the level of passion seems higher than I would expect.

It's the "one of the ugliest films I've ever seen" bit that just baffled me. I don't hate the MCU movies but there are a lot of just bland shots in a lot of 'em, there's a lot of stuff in ROTJ that's pretty flat (though also some good shots so it's inconsistent), you have Jurassic World's "let's make everything kinda blue for no good reason" approach, and that's before we start getting into something like Frankenstein Island or Angry Red Planet.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Clueless holds up so well guys. Like I knew it was good but I had not seen it in some time.

What I like is it pokes a lot of fun at the culture it takes place in but it's never mean. There are lots of great details (all the girls with plastic surgery bandages in various shots, Cher's vocabulary) but it's not trying to tear these people down. They're basically decent folks even if their lifestyle is insane. It's very humane. The closest thing to a bad guy is Jeremy Sisto's character.

Also is Paul Rudd a robot.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

It's based on a Jane Austen book, of course it holds up.

Well yeah, the plot's solid as a rock, but Heckerling gets so many little things right on top of that.

And they really lucked out with the cast. Not a weak link in there.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think it did for the most part, but there's still a few applications where it lives on. The only stuff anyone really torrents anymore is new releases, obscure/OOP stuff (and/or stuff in rights hell), and ultra-iconic stuff like Star Wars and Indiana Jones that isn't consistently on streaming services (and that last gap's been getting filled lately).

Isn't obscure stuff made kinda hard by the way torrenting works? Other people have to be trying to get it too, etc.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
E: wrong place

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I do think it's bullshit that TCM doesn't do Underground in February or August. Nobody will care if you deviate from theme that late at night!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

Maybe a little slow and not really a perfect movie, but they tried to make something that fit into the canon of the original movies (it's still got that John Williams theme). Not much grimdark in there at all. I enjoyed it as much as I'd hoped I would.

It's dark, but in kind of an interesting way- it's about Superman having been gone so long that everyone's moved on and he doesn't really fit anymore. I've always loved it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Popelmon posted:

Oh poo poo Atom guy from Legends of Tomorrow plays Superman? I'm sold!

I like the little nods they've put in to that. At the end of the big crossover he says about Supergirl, "She kinda looks like my cousin."

I'm really glad that despite SR not taking off, Routh has found some good steady work. He's a great comic actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Majora's Mask suffers a bit from a long, involved and elaborate first section that you have to play all in one sitting to finally get to save and to also not be a mutant Deku scrub for a little bit. It's a very bold artistic decision and the actual difficulty is very low- they really really point you where to go at every step- but it's still discomforting. Even after that the way saves work means you really want to plan to play it in sustained bursts.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 25, 2017

• Locked thread