Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Ended 2016 with the first half of It Follows and started 2017 with Breakfast at Tiffany's, holy poo poo is the latter racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

therattle posted:

Mickey Looney no racist!

I almost tapped out after that. But then Hannibal from A-Team lingered around this woman's place for ten minutes after saying he wanted to make a "phone call" and I thought he might be a cop.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I gifted myself German Netflix for the new year, and the first movie I'm (re-) watching is Wrath of the Titans. It really is so much better than Clash, if only for how tired Sam Worthington is of all these Titans.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Egbert Souse posted:

Not only better, it's a great film on its own. I like how it's basically a western, except with Greek mythology stuff.

Yeah. And then Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes do a combined Dragonball move on a giant fire person.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Oi, this thing has He Never Died! See you in 97 minutes, people.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

He Never Died was great, Henry Rollins is hilarious as curmudgeonly Terminator. I've only joined Netflix last night but I've already seen two movies I would have bought otherwise, suck my dick physical media!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Counterpoint, physical media is great and the last bastion for fringe cinema. Netflix or other streaming services will carry poo poo like Sharknado 4 or whatever Asylum garbage most of the masses eat up, or get locked up in stupid exclusive streaming disputes over film libraries, but people who actually give a poo poo are restoring bonafide lost classics like New York Ripper, Night Train to Terror or more obscure directors lost works. Friedkin's Sorcerer was almost lost to time until people who cared started kicking up dust to get a restoration project going. Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer finally got the restoration that it deserved because people who cared about film wanted to see this movie the way it looked on the silver screen 30 years ago.

It's a sad state of affairs when I can look at my personal collection and get more excited looking at old VHS and restored Blu Ray box art than whatever floating head photoshop bullshit Netflix demands for its thumbnails. The craft has been lost and the mouth breathers cheer.

Don't even get me started on pixelation and bit rates.

Counter-counterpoint, my place isn't big enough for all my DVDs and Bluerays.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

therattle posted:

It is. It might not be big enough for the cases though. Get files with DVD/CD sleeves and file them alphabetically. Put the cases in the attic or equivalent.

If I paint the files to look like VHS covers it might end up looking like what ruddiger posted.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

SMG voice: Fraiser
The rest of you: the Dad

But how do you know how my voice sounds?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I can't see this post because a big PS1-cutscene rear end dinosaur is in front of it.

Also here's the same post again so readers can get dialogue they already heard but with you as a giant slug this time. Also there's a really lovely effect to make me jump in the air.

I don't know why people keep bringing up the dinosaur rear end when there is even worse poo poo happening in that scene. Like, at least the dinosaur moves kinda quickly, there is a robot leisurely crossing in front of the screen and obstructing the view right after dinosaur rear end. It's not even a good effect, it looks like someone filmed their TV showing Star Wars and then made their favorite toy walk past the screen.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Because the dinosaur rear end covers the entire frame. It's mind-boggling that Lucas thought that was good blocking.

Here is the scene in question, starting at 3:00. Yellow robot zooming across the screen obstructing the view happens at 3:14, and I forgot that it makes it look like the robot is as tall as the stormtroopers. Admittedly it's not taking up the entire frame at once, but it's still puzzling how much poo poo happens in front of the people this scene should focus on. maybe it's one of these experiments where five people throw a ball around and you don't even notice there is a gorilla there.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Slugworth posted:

I'm certainly not of the opinion that the change needed to happen, but the entire frame being taken up by a passing object is a pretty common short hand for 'it's crazy and busy here'. The viewer pov being obstructed suggests hustle and bustle. I'm struggling to think of a concrete example, but it's done frequently with cars and busses. I think maybe Fifth Element does it at one point?

I get the intention, but the execution is horrible. The stuff in the foreground doesn't really match the stuff in the background, what with the angle the scene is shot vs. the size of the passing people and objects. Also, Mos Eisley was just introduced to us as a wretched hive of scum and villainy, this looks like a busy day on any given future town square. I guess it could have been put there to undermine what Obi Wan says (Oh my god kid, watch out this place is crazy dangerous! *booping yellow droid slowly drives past*) but I'm pretty tired of stuff like that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

My favorite movie is Conan The Barbarian, I am basically the best person there is.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

CP is everything SMG turns his nose up to without being the random strawman he usually prescribed his assumptions upon so it make sense he tends to talk to CP like an American who thinks shouting will help make someone who doesn't speak English understand them

Now I want to see an 80s comedy where Tom Hanks as CP and Richard Dreyfuss as SMG are stuck together on a train or whatever.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

"reiteration" means "saying again"!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Black Bones posted:

I just watched Highlander for the first time. Was pretty great. Would have seen it sooner if someone had told me that Queen did the music! no one told me

I know they did Flash Gordon too, which I haven't found yet. did they do any others?

I think remake-chat was a few pages back but Highlander would be my pick. I still like the movie a lot but it's mostly on the strength of the actors and the music, otherwise there is some baffling stuff in there like the weird fight choreography in the first duel.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Dude looked almost obscenely German

He even had a monocle and his name was Fritz for crying out loud.

Don't post pictures of my son, thank you.

I watched Green Room. I think :stare: is the agreed-upon emoji?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hot take, the first 35 minutes of Superman IV: Quest for Peace are actually pretty good and a fun precursor to Beavis. But then the mind rape happens and then Superman holds a speech before the UN about how he's had it with mankind's war bullshit and the music is triumphant instead of ominous and everything is just getting progressively worse.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Slugworth posted:

As a man, I dream enviously of the spoils of pregnancy. I mean, can you name one drat thing about pregnancy that doesn't sound incredible? I dare only to dream of the day that an 8 lb creature tears me apart from genital to anus.

As good a moment as any to mention that my girlfriend is pregnant again. She has successfully made it through the "feel sick all day" stage and is now in the "extremely anxious, and are these stretch marks?!" stage.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

As if my love for Henry Cavill wasn't big enough from MoS and Beavis, he's amazingly charming in Man from U.N.C.L.E. That movie is pretty delightful overall but Cavill is just bringing all the suaveness of Bond with none of the rapiness.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

Cause they pull it?

Confirmed.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

In fact, one could say animé is the highest form of art.

Artnime.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

anime is degenerate foreign art and should be heartily suppressed

Badnime.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

holocaust memorial and splash pad

Holocaust Memorial Happy Hour, two drinks for the price of one.

Also, put strippers on the memorial. The people who watch the strippers learn more about the Holocaust than the people who don't visit the memorial for the strippers.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

TALKIN BOUT MY GENERATION!

If we believe there's even a 1% chance that this person learned a valuable lesson at Auschwitz we have to take it as absolute certainty and consequently allow bullshit like this to happen.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I've never been at a crackhouse, so you're mistaken.

What? No, I was just pointing out the inherent insanity in trying to equate letting kids take pictures of themselves in places with turning those same places into strip clubs. Like I said, in the absence of a valid counter-argument, nonsense is proposed (the whole "add strippers to the museums" thing).

I made that suggestion with the strip club in response to your dumb-rear end suggestion that people be lured into places like holocaust memorials with games and pretzels because their physical presence there will somehow make them care.

You dumb motherfucker.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

No, I got that. You had no reasonable counter-argument that selfies/Pokemans are a decent/harmless enticement to get younger people to attend such places, but despite that you still think it's a a dumb-rear end suggestion. So it was either admit that your belief that it was a dumb-rear end suggestion is wrong and admit that I'm right, or go hyberbolic.

Strippers in such museums? Not cool, innapropriate, ill taste. Kids taking pictures of themselves, provided its not jump-on-the-jews style stuff? Utterly harmless, slight benefit because the people are there, as opposed to not there. It ain't exactly rocket science.

"Enticement" suggests that they'll do anything at all at that site besides doing what they came there to do. In my experience, which I have since I too work with kids, they wont. What do you suggest is the thing they are enticed to do? You claim to speak from experience so please do tell, what are these kids getting out of the experience that letting them take selfies at Auschwitz is "a price worth paying"? Because so far a big part of the reason why nobody wants to argue with you is that you make this nebulous assumption that they get something out of it and never ever back it up. They are there instead of not there, and this is good because ???.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Look guys I know you were having fun at first but trust me, MisterBibs is a stubborn individual and you will not convince him he's wrong on this one. I suggest giving up before everyone gets real aggravated.

Sound advice. To cool myself down Imma listen to some music. I gave my brother tickets to Kreator/Sepultura/Soilwork for Christmas and I'm not at all familiar with two of them, gotta brush up on my metal knowledge since I will tag along.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Watched Terminator: Peter Gabriel and rather liked it. Maybe a few too many quibs but the action was good and I didn't even mind Jai Courtney.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Had a dream about a butt-ugly snake devouring some animal and it looked gross and scary and I woke kicking at my blanket because I thought the snake was in the blanket. And it was. I'm inside a snake, help.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Licorice Is OK.

Edit: never tried it on pizza

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

So I brought up Excalibur because Im introducing a friend of mine to it and I gotta say that I liked it before, but now I kinda think it's my favorite fantasy movie period

Arthur winning over Sir Uriens by doing a flying tackle off a castle and then handing Uriens Excalibur and telling him to knight him is extremely my poo poo, and probably one of the best scenes in any fantasy movie ever.

Excalibur is a favorite of mine, it's extremely and almost literally metal. Those armors :allears:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jesus, I just had the best live action jump scare. My son has a tiny wobbly dinosaur toy that sticks at poo poo when you throw it, and I threw it at the ceiling to show my son how Spider-Man does it. And then I forgot about it, until the dinosaur dropped into my lap just now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

porfiria posted:

Holy poo poo Chapo Trap House is pulling in half a million bucks a year? Maybe I should listen.

Maybe you should, Mister Bibs. Maybe you should.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Deep Blue Sea owns.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

We have post-apocalyptic art and lit, but it's not really showing where we go from here. It's showing where we go from some huge, cataclysmic event like a nuclear apocalypse or a mass epidemic or climate change frying the planet, not just society slowly collapsing in on itself. Nobody's ever really entertained the idea of the global status quo falling apart in a whimper, rather than a bang, that I've seen (aside from, say, Robocop or Transmetropolitan).

When I watched Snowtown I got the impression it was exactly that. Put a little "In the not so distant future" card at the beginning and you have your realtime-apocalypse movie.

What is it with Australia and the collapse of civilization?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

That movie is such a baffling series of terrible choices and tragic misfires that the fact that it ends with Gary Oldman turning into a giant hermaphroditic alien spider monster man makes it the single most appropriate ending in film history.

Lost in Space was one of the first movies I watched when I got Netflix and it was the first movie I turned off again, five minutes in. And I remember liking that movie as a kid.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

Eh, they're fine and really the least of everyone in the world's problems right now.

He's got the whole world in his hands.
In his tiny T-Rex hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's just something off about Crystal Skull, Temple of Doom is so gung-ho about its own contrivances but Crystal Skull has this hesitancy. It's not a bad movie but it's lacking the involved spunkiness of the first two that make them so good. It's also hamstrung by some lousy CGI and overall visual incoherence.

I haven't seen Crystal Skull in years but one example I remember is that the movie comes to a screeching halt right after the fridge scene to dump all that poo poo on us to establish that this franchise is now influenced by 50s pulp and not 30s pulp.

• Locked thread