Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Everyone is their avatar, thus SMG's voice is that of Richard Attenborough with a wiggly blue dong on his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is there a specific term for that kind of scene transition in the Lawrence of Arabia matchstick shot - that hard cut from a close-up to an extreme long shot?

If not, can anyone think of any other really effective examples of it off the top of their head?

I think that'd be a match cut, another example being the bone -> space station in 2001.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I'm getting on a boat to Mexico in a few hours and will be without TV/internet for a week, can't wait to see what I'm coming back to :)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I just got back to the States after spending the week on a boat with no TV/internet, did I miss anything?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

FishBulb posted:

My giant snorlax bean bag chair

Awesome I will check that out later.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Montreal: if you like beer, Dieu du Ciel is excellent, I go there every time I visit. Fresh Peche Mortel on nitro is one of my favorite beers ever.

Montreal bagels are also great. Different than New York bagels, but almost as good :)

Ooh, and the smoked meat. Schwartz's is the famous place but I've never been, I just know the stuff I've gotten around town has been really good.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Drunken Noodles are my go-to Thai dish

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I hate art deco Golden Age pulp stuff too.

I too love the endless gray seas of Art Deco

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah old movies never had scenes where everything was heavily fogged over for effect

I haven't watched any of the prequels since they were in theaters so maybe that's just bad GIF compression, but there's no contrast in that scene, everything is the same bland gray, or sometimes a slightly darker gray.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

A good steak needs a side, optimally potato-based.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I'm seeing Ty Segall in March, it's been years since I've caught one of his shows so I'm excited for it. Screaming Females is playing here next week too, might snag some tickets.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

The first movie I remember disliking was The Indian in the Cupboard when I was 10, I thought the kid in it was a whiny loser.

First time I remember defending a film was a year later when my grandma took my cousin and I to see The Cable Guy, which I enjoyed and they both hated.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

As someone literally from the town he was mayor of, he's really not that charismatic.

But he helps grandmas shovel their driveways! Surely he will lead us to a new progressive utopia.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Seitan and TVP are pretty legit. There's a vegetarian Chinese place near me that makes their own meat substitutes with them; you can tell they're not real meat, but they taste so good it doesn't really matter.

Packaged stuff like tofu dogs and veggie nuggets etc are pretty terrible though.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I took my wife to the doctors for bronchitis then we got in a fight.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fist, knife, or gun?

Politics

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I think you mean which of you was advocating for a stateless society

How did you know

Edit: we made up

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Justin Timberlake could probably give Will Smith a run for his money

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Dickeye go watch Repo Man right now

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I've never had good McDonalds fries around here. I got them in South Carolina once and they were amazing.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

What do you got against beets

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

There's a dude at my homebrew club that always brings these horrible 12% triple IPAs he makes, the ones I had tried before I learned better tasted like cheap vodka, band-aids, and sugar. He did a blueberry one once that exploded when he opened it, shooting beer-soaked blueberries out of the bottle.

I get wanting to experiment and do fun stuff when brewing, but what the hell happened to this guys palate where he keeps making these things, 5 gallons at a time, for years on end?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

FishBulb posted:

Ballast Point sucks pretty hard to be fair

People are boycotting them now because their parent company's PAC donates big money to Paul Ryan

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

The theater near me is showing Dr. Strangelove, Three Days of the Condor, and Seven Days in May this weekend. I love Strangelove and will be seeing that, but I don't know the other two - any opinions?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I made ribs, greens and cornbread, and ate them all with a four year old barleywine. Might watch Hot Fuzz too.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I live a couple blocks from a thriving Little India with a big restaurant scene and it takes all my strength not to order it or go to the buffets as often as I want to.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Slugworth posted:

My girlfriend decided Verizon was charging us too much, so she switched us to T Mobile. I'm saving 10 dollars a month, and I can no longer make phone calls from inside my house.

The Total Wireless prepaid plan they sell at Walmart uses the Verizon network if you want to switch back.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

Okay so Phenomena was incredible and holy poo poo has the best ending to a film ever...so what's next? Besides Susperia. Not that I'm not gonna watch it, I just know that's a big one. So that'll obviously be next.

What should I watch next besides that? Something with a lot of color.

It took me until now to realize you weren't posting about Phenomenon, the 1996 John Travolta movie

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Warcraft made back triple it's budget, it'll probably get a sequel.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

:lol:

I chopped up my engineered floor joists to lower my bathtub by 2 inches, why is everyone dogpiling on me? :qq:

Don't worry, he's a DIYer, he'll just fix it afterwards

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm good at reading.

Also The Toxic Avenger was literally filmed 15 minutes away from my home? Guess I should watch it now.

Where do you live C&P, Toxic Avenger and a bunch of other Troma stuff was filmed down the street from me.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Coffee And Pie posted:

Near Peekskill? I know it was filmed in a bunch of places in the area though

Ah ok, I'm in Jersey City. Didn't know they filmed stuff that far north of here.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Gorman Thomas posted:

What actor would most convincingly deliver the line, "Well boy, I'd masturbate to that. Hell, I might even cum".

Asking for a friend.

Has anyone said Sam Elliot

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I know all the reasons why The Life Aquatic is not good, but I love that weird movie.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

Here's the thing I'm worried about with Phoenix Forgotten is that it won't have a good pay off.

And honestly any movie with an Alien or UFO's in it, I need it to have a really cool pay off. Alien Abduction was weak. The aliens were real bad.

Area 51 didn't even show them. And I still hate the VHS short. I'm very very particular about this poo poo. Even the short film I shot isn't fully what I want to see in these kinds of films.

I just want to be scared by these grey's again, but no one wants to make them creepy. They want them to be legit RAwrrrr monsters that lunge at you. That's lame. I want slow moving, calculating big eyed skinny mother fuckers doing things you don't understand and never will.

This genre makes me mad sometimes.

I assume you've seen Fire in the Sky?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Keurig coffee is awful. Aeropress erry day

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Yer boys lookin to dab

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Popeye's has the best nuggets, jeez

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wish Twitter would embed in the Awful app.

You have to turn it on in the settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Shikantaza posted:

Regarding coffee I was thinking of getting an aeropress, can I just put in the same grinds I buy for my french press or do I need to grind them myself?

Yeah you can put anything in an aeropress, I vary between expensive locally roasted stuff and $2 bricks of cafe bustelo

• Locked thread