Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just think of this way. They're easy money in the 2017 death pool.

Last movie of 2016 was James Cagney and George Raft in Each Dawn I Die.

First movie of 2017 was Frank Sinatra in The Man With The Golden Arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sto cazzo!

That's some kind of pasta right?

I've been home for the holidays, but spent most of time chilling with my uncles watching old Warner bros. gangster movies, but yesterday we broke it up a little by throwing on Richard Pryor: Live on the Sunset Strip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3D6Qc6uByo

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 2, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Counterpoint, physical media is great and the last bastion for fringe cinema. Netflix or other streaming services will carry poo poo like Sharknado 4 or whatever Asylum garbage most of the masses eat up, or get locked up in stupid exclusive streaming disputes over film libraries, but people who actually give a poo poo are restoring bonafide lost classics like New York Ripper, Night Train to Terror or more obscure directors lost works. Friedkin's Sorcerer was almost lost to time until people who cared started kicking up dust to get a restoration project going. Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer finally got the restoration that it deserved because people who cared about film wanted to see this movie the way it looked on the silver screen 30 years ago.

It's a sad state of affairs when I can look at my personal collection and get more excited looking at old VHS and restored Blu Ray box art than whatever floating head photoshop bullshit Netflix demands for its thumbnails. The craft has been lost and the mouth breathers cheer.

Don't even get me started on pixelation and bit rates.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Counter-counterpoint, my place isn't big enough for all my DVDs and Bluerays.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What's my posting voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPxhQXoaYgo&t=50s

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shut up and take my money!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I want dailies and isolated dialogue and m&e stems but I also live in the real world.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's pretty insane considering the Universal DVD release of the Thing was actually pretty excellent, and included the full score over the menus.

I mean, if I HAD to make a desert island pick on which version I'd want forever and ever, it would be the 70mm print, but again, I also live in the real world.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

No and it seems like it'll remain a 70mm print exclusive.

There's one 35mm print that's identical to the Roadshow version, but it's in Quentin's personal collection and he only shows it for special occasions at the New Beverly Cinema. :clint:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

blue squares posted:

The fire reportedly broke out when an old-timey car overheated and caught fire. Analysts are doing DNA analysis on a stain left on the seats

Jack got rose gleekin' all over the place.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

porfiria posted:

Which of the editions features a Red CG Devil walking in front of the camera during the climactic exorcism scene?

The goofy CG faces added into the shadows in The Exorcist were a way bigger cinema crime than whatever Lucas did to his movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What the gently caress, when was it revealed that Jonathan Harris was a pedophile?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Because the dinosaur rear end covers the entire frame. It's mind-boggling that Lucas thought that was good blocking.

The beast of burden walking past the screen is no different than all the transition wipes in the movie and acts as such within the context of the scene.

E: also, Jonathan Harris was married and had a kid, this information is not hard to come by. This thread makes me :psyduck: sometimes

And if anything, SMG would have to be Morty, his detractors are the dismissive rear end in a top hat Rick types (or at least they like to fantasize that they are).

"Gee I dunno Rick, the prequels (blah blah blah)"

"Shut up Morty, they're stupid. *burps* They're just dumb."

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 4, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The fan restoration of A New Hope is being restored from a 35mm film scan.

Or is it already done? I don't keep up to date with all these fan projects.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Carrie

Firestarter

Friday the 13th Part VII

Chronicle

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jesus Christ I don't know what's worse, the idea from Apple or the stories about some woman spraying someone with mace when they told her to turn off her phone or the cop murdering someone during the previews before Lone Survivor. :stare:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nightbreed is Clive Barker's worst movie which is to say it's an A-.

God's an astronaut

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Didn't think I'd care this much about the Blair Witch remake getting spoiled, but I kinda do.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

He's always rude to me, so it's nothing new.

quote:

dumb shits like me

Have more respect in your own intelligence and maybe people won't talk down to you.

And holy loving poo poo at name dropping Brett loving Ratner as someone who you'd take advice from for screenwriting. That guy only ever had a job because of nepotism and ease of access to drugs and hot models (he was a still photographer before being handed his first directing gig) and has never written any of his movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

morestuff posted:

Chicago has some of the most openly racist people I've ever met and I grew up in South Carolina

edit: well, the suburbs at least

Everything about Chicago encapsulated on one street. Bonus points for being narrated by Studs Terkel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HGhZDKfM-k

I grew up near 35th and Halsted, right in the heart of Bridgeport. My cousin is one of the kids playing in the hydrant at around the 20:00 mark. This is one of my favorite Chicago docs.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 13, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Snak posted:

Who considers Mulholland DR a horror movie?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dean Norris nooooo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Really, really good. Pairs well with After Hours and is probably even better.

I was just telling one of the impressionable new guys at work how After Hours is my legit favorite Scorsese movie. There's something about a film that take place all in just one night that just gets to me. That Coppola Dracula/Gangs of New York comparison is pretty apt too, seeing as how they're both great movies in all but one aspect (Keanu/Leo).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

i think that the kid who played danny in the shining is good, but the kid who played danny in the shining is bad

For the longest time, I thought the kid who played Danny in the Shining was Corey Feldman.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In The Mouth of Madness is one of my favorite Carpenter movies, they worked together on Memoirs of an Invisible Man too which doesn't get enough credit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well I could link you to the photo of the smashed up limo...

...but why do that when I could link you to the more recent image of the burning limo?

Yeah, gently caress that car rental place for renting out limos.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Light a cop on fire, not an empty car you loving cowards.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gently caress Whitey posted:

a-fuckin-men

they need to be protesting more violently, imo, i haven't seen a single public execution yet

lit yelled WORLDSTAR when he got punched

light yourself on fire

Namedropping Worldstar jesus loving christ.

This poo poo ain't protesting. It's a meme generator. Your righteous anger is about as impotent as those who complain about the prequels on the internet.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

actually i think punching a nazi in the face while someone else holds a sign saying WHITE LIVES MATTER TOO MUCH is almost the platonic ideal of protesting

i say almost because nothing was on fire

But what category does your commentary on the protesting fall into? What are you in all of this?

Answer: You are a meme.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ruddiger, have you ever set a cop on fire?

Yes. I have gonnorhea

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gently caress YEA WHOEVER DID THIS

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can't teach nothing to white people because they like to think they know everything.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Boogey: I got into it with cops during the protests in 2001 when the US illegally invaded Afghanistan. CPD herded the downtown crowds into killzones and started busting heads and arresting everyone starting from the outside of the group working their way in. The only way we could escape arrest was by bullrushing the cop line and making a loving a break for it. I don't have a police record from that night so I was one of the lucky ones who got out, but yes, I have fought with cops, I've been beaten by cops, I had dogs sicced on my by cops and had cops point their guns to my temple asking me if I wanted my brains blown all over a wall. But that's just average Chicago teenager poo poo.

i'm literally asking you what you think

I think you should post more videos of white people assaulting each other and yelling "Worldstar"

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 21, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

So by your own definition you're a coward is what you're saying

I'm here posting with you cowards, aren't I?

I'm just not the one cheerleading internet kids doing dumb internet kid poo poo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

So the protests going on now are dumb internet kid poo poo, but the protests you were part of, those I assume were very cool, right?

Clearly not since W got elected twice in a row, we're now in our 15th year on "the war on terror," we got Obama who did just as much damage placating the right (or just being their scapegoat which they used as an excuse to do worse poo poo) as he did good pushing reform, and now we got this poo poo.

What good did those people in '01 do by getting arrested? What did we accomplish?

gently caress, what good did the North Dakota protests do, since there was a big rear end oil spill the next loving week after the pipeline drilling was haulted? People were arrested, beaten and mangled during the protests, and the pipeline company STILL managed to destroy the environment with a big loving oil spill. What exactly's going to happen to the people responsible for this crime? As someone who believes in the good intention behind protesting but has yet to see its effectiveness in the real world, I'm honestly curious, because it's a question that America's been asking itself since the 60s.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm still mourning Miguel Ferrer so I'm a little on edge too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xVSYrZsnsQ

Now you listen to me. While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I am a naysayer and hatchetman in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another because I choose to live my life in the company of Gandhi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method... is love. I love you Uncle Boogeyman.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Do not reject Miguel Ferrer, for he has not rejected you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww-88rwt4ms

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Peter Berg has never made bad movie, unless Deepwater or The Kingdom are bad I haven't seen them. His pedigree is enough that I'm interested despite a premise I couldn't give a poo poo about.

He didn't direct it, but watching Peter Berg act in Great White Hype is great. I like him in Wes Craven's Shocker too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8UgLWn9LHY

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You want to talk revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd3JrFXLrA0

"And what happens after? The same loving thing starts all over again."

• Locked thread