Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Godzilla, please. Given your other ratings that seems really low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SimonCat posted:

Convoy A 70s trucker moving starring Kris Kristofferson, based on a novelty song about CB radios, and directed by Sam Peckinpah. WTF?
Also has Burt Young as a trucker driving for Paulie's Trucking.

9/9

And it slowly turns into some kind of Kingfisher esque right-left hybrid populist uprising movie. Peck was a hell of a dude

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I Before E posted:

I don't remember anyone in Drive farming in medieval Europe

Also autistic is not a synonym for reserved, or weird. A love story about two average functioning autistic people could be legit cool though, but probably not until it dies down as the psychological fad diagnosis of the day.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Do you just categorically dislike picaresque? I mean it's not strictly picaresque but it's a plotless, horizontally structured film about low class schmos, so similar

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 13, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spatulater bro! posted:

It seemed to me that Nashville did have definite arcs, they just weren't very punctuated. My favorite was the infidelity story with Lily Tomlin's character. I also really loved the one with the girl who had sex appeal but couldn't hold a tune to save her life. Most were definitely low key, but I found each one really compelling.

That actress does a great job, sadly she barely has any other credits cause she died young of anal cancer.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Nicholas Ray is the cinema. :cool:

You should also see In a Lonely Place, Bigger Than Life, Johnny Guitar, and his remake of King of Kings.

Bigger Than Life is basically a body horror/monster movie disguised as a melodrama.

They Live By Night is drastically inferior to Thieves Like Us, peace

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

I loved Tron Legacy but I also saw it in IMAX which seems to be a big difference maker.

Anyway, reviews!

I thought I had seen the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Like when I saw the Rob Zombie version I thought it was all really familiar. I don't know what the gently caress I was thinking, the original is nothing like that at all. The reason to see this is that this film is so good at creating mood and tension and dread, even though you know everything that's going to happen because they tell you in the opening crawl. I do think this should be seen in a theater if you have the chance, preferably small, uncomfortable and stuffy.

Blade Runner 2049 is also a prime example of just creating a mood. It's also wonderful at using color and sound for storytelling. It doesn't quite have the subtlety of the original, but I still think it's worth seeing if you liked the original or are into questions about selfhood and such. If you're big into action films, maybe this is not for you, though.

Seeing a film that has a one star rating on Tivo when I got nothing better to do is a high motivator to watch something, so that's why I decided to see The Shack. It's about as harmless as a denominational film can get, although it pissed a lot of Christians off, and of course atheists as well, so I think it's worth seeing to see why for yourself. The chill af Jesus is also pretty cool

That's funny, you're the second person this week I've heard/read talk about the "rob zombie version of Texas chainsaw massacre". He wasn't involved, the remake was directed by Marcus Nispel

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

This was the most difficult of the "Mondo" (local theater's bad movie night) movies to get through, because a whole lot of nothing happens for a whole lot of the movie, and what does happen barely makes sense, but Satan's Cheerleaders is the rare naked pro-Satan propaganda film, and it was so bold in that stance that I kind of admired the bravado of it, so it's worth watching for that reason, maybe in a media format where you can fast forward through long scenes of running nowhere, or people staring at each other, or staring at the wind.

This is weird, I wonder where I got this idea from.

Maybe it's a common idea. Zombie did Halloween and is a famous name, Nispel did TCM and F13 and isn't well known.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

The Villainess (2017) 4/5 - this was really great. Not my favorite action movie of the year but I did like it more than John Wick 2.

What was your favorite?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Harime Nui posted:

The movie is absolutely brought down by what a thinly-written character The Operative is. I think if you take yourself back to 2005 there was something interesting about the idea of nemesis-as-cipher, but watching it now he's just a collection of cool lines. But honestly the thing that kills it for me is how literally they take the "space western" thing. The dialect Mal, Kaylee and to an extent Zoe speak absolutely couldn't be done outside a time where steampunk was still sort of a novelty. Characters speaking the way confederate generals would write letters was kinda fresh and funny. Looked back at a decade on though, it just kinda kills the setting as this weird hyperaffected theatrical thing.

if the rest of the movie were that stagey and ridiculous it would be a big improvement

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I Before E posted:

Have you seen Punisher War Zone?

Also none of the Spider Mans

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

morestuff posted:

Watched A Cure For Wellness and Apostle within a few weeks of each other and they ended up being basically identical movies. I’ve loved that basic structure before but both felt like they needed to be 45 minutes shorter and 50% more hysterical

Apostle could stand to be less restrained but Cure For Wellness is already loving bonkers

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

morestuff posted:

The ending gets to a nice Dr. Phibes zone I like but before that it's like two hours of eels

Let’s not be coy, they’re butt eels. And blood eels. Also lots of wonderfully weird looking old people, only slightly less gross than the eels

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Sawdust and Tinsel (1953, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
The Rite (1969, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Magic Flute (1975, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
After the Rehearsal (1984, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Nanook of the North (1922, Robert Flaherty) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5

The Touch (1971, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 2/5
The Serpent's Egg (1977, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Some Call It Loving (1973, James B. Harris) [Blu-ray] - 2/5
Come Back, Africa (1959, Lionel Rogosin) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Trigger, Jr. (1950, William Witney) [Blu-ray] - 3/5

Stan & Ollie (2018, Jon S. Baird) [theatrical] - 4.5/5
Persona (1966, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 5/5 (rewatch)
The Seventh Seal (1957, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray - 4K restoration] - 5/5 (rewatch)
Liv & Ingmar (2012, Dheeraj Akolkar) - 4/5
Ingmar Bergman (1972, Stig Bjorkman) - 4/5 (making-of for The Touch, better than the film itself)

Bergman Island (2006, Marie Nyrerod) - 4.5/5
An American in Sophiatown (2007, Earl Lloyd Ross) - 3.5/5 (making-of for Come Back, Africa)
The Big Lebowski (1998, Joel Coen) [UHD] - 4.5/5
Miller's Crossing (1990, Joel Coen) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Thirst (1949, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 3/5

Port of Call (1948, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 2.5/5
Legend (1985, Ridley Scott) [Blu-ray - director's cut] - 2.5/5

Stardust and Tinsel, Thirst, and Legend thoughts if you would

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chewbot posted:

Twilight is a great bad movie series, fun to rip on, silly stupid poo poo that at least attempts to connect to its demographic even if that target audience is not us. By no means the worst thing out there, just an easy target to find internet concensus. Lobster is a special kind of bad made for elitists who are quite proud of their quirky taste in movies and “getting it”, setting you apart from the filthy movie-going proletariat who would like something is ghastly as Twilight. Despite some beautiful cinematography and capable actors, Lobster is as empty as the inflatable tanks of world war two, but not half as clever. It is the equivalent of finding joy and meaning in a Jackson Pollock. It is not actually pretty good, you have been bamboozled. Fight me.

The Lobster and Twilight are both good

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

If you think the movie leans on wacky twists, read the story

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Rocky Balboa B+

Solid outing here. Very melancholy, but not dreary. The central premise strains credibility, but the actual fight is great and the most realistic of the series pre-Creed. The characters feel real and grounded and Paulie in particular is more sympathetic than he's been in any other film.

Creed 2 is not included on Prime. I might rent it.

Watching the others makes Creed feel more "realistic" but I just rewatched the big fight from that and it's also like 1 billion undefended power shots to the head and liver. I want to see a Rocky movie where the opponent is a Rocky style supernaturally good Lomachenko, just teleporting around the ring and gluing his glove to rocky/creed/whoever's face

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Not gonna score it atm but just finished watching and it really hosed me up. What a film!

:cry:

Better come to fucken Pittsburgh

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years (1988, Penelope Spheeris) [Criterion Channel] - 4/5
Anomalisa (2015, Duke Johnson/Charlie Kaufman) [Blu-ray rental] - 3.5/5
Taking Tiger Mountain (1982, Kent Jones/Tom Huckabee) [Blu-ray - original cut] - 3/5
Lost Horizon (1937, Frank Capra) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Police Story (1985, Jackie Chan) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Topkapi (1964, Jules Dassin) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
The Savage Innocents (1960, Nicholas Ray) [Blu-ray] - 4/5

The Wedding Party (1962/69, Brian DePalma) [Blu-ray] - 2.5/5
Murder a la Mod (1967, Brian DePalma) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Greetings (1968, Brian DePalma) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Hi, Mom! (1970, Brian DePalma) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5

Rewatch:
For All Mankind (1989, Al Reinert) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

Decline, Police Story, and Greetings/Hi, Mom! If you have time

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - 82
Alita: Battle Angel - 89
Police Story - 87
Police Story 2 - 80
Midsommar - 83
Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters - 89
A Brighter Summer Day - 90
The Last Black Man In San Francisco - 90
Long Day’s Journey Into Night (w/ 3D) - 91
Murmur of the Heart - 88
Toy Story 4 - 75
Only God Forgives - 89
Life Force - 85
Point Blank - 89
Avengers: Endgame - not good
Amazing Grace - 86
The Beach Bum - 69
High Life - 87
Transit - 78
Her Smell - 81
Climax - 88
Elena - 89
Leviathan - 86
Life Is Sweet - 85
Medium Cool (+ supplements) - 90
Aparijito - 90
Apu Sansar - 90
Baal - 87
Love With The Proper Stranger - 80
Pickpocket - 85
Charulata - 93
Arabian Nights - 73
Never Look Away - 75
The Canterbury Tales - 79
The Decameron - 83
Bicycle Thieves - 89
Summer With Monika - 84
Eyes Without a Face - 86
Transit - 79
Us - 79
Eraserhead (rewatch) - 90
Women In Love (rewatch) - 90
Arrival (rewatch) - 87
Annihilation (rewatch) - 90
When We Were Kings (rewatch) - 93
Altered States (rewatch) - 89
Upstream Color (rewatch) - 90
Before Sunrise (rewatch) - 90
Before Sunset (rewatch) - 92
Before Midnight (rewatch) - 90
A Most Violent Year (rewatch) - 87
Live. Die. Repeat. (live.watch.rewatch.) - 85

I assume that’s the Boorman Point Blank, right?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Point Blank is absolutely one of the best edited action films of all time. It makes San Francisco seem more like a layer of purgatory

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Picnic at Hanging Rock - 91

It fucken rules, doesn’t it?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Dumbo (1941) [Blu-ray - nth rewatch) - 5/5
Juggernaut (1974, Richard Lester) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Finders Keepers (1984, Richard Lester) [Blu-ray] - 2/5
Melvin and Howard (1980, Jonathan Demme) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Foxy Brown (1974, Jack Hill) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Assault on Precinct 13 (1976, John Carpenter) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Bloody Mama (1970, Roger Corman) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Lifeforce (1985, Tobe Hooper) [Blu-ray - director's cut] - 4.5/5
Wolfen (1981, Michael Wadleigh) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Hickey & Boggs (1972, Robert Culp) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Tomboy (2011, Céline Sciamma) [Criterion Channel] - 4.5/5
All About My Mother (1999, Pedro Almodovar) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Uncut Gems (2019, Josh & Benny Safdie) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Ravenous (1999, Antonia Bird) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
The Pawnbroker (1964, Sidney Lumet) [Blu-ray] - 4/5

Interested in your thoughts on ravenous and lifeforce

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Remulak posted:

I think this was the first use of coooool backlit bulletholes. I was gonna write “I wish Kathryn Bigelow directed more movies” then I hit Wikipedia and was reminded that she directed Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, so uh…..

blood simple is 3 or 4 years older

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Perfect Element posted:

Just that classic horror sequel mistake of thinking bigger = better.

What really annoyed me in 28 weeks: in 28 days that gsybe score is just brooding for whole movie, before finally reaching that amazing crescendo at the films climax. In 28 weeks, they do that exact trick like 4 times throughout the film.

There’s only one Godspeed track in 28 Days Later, East Hastings over the scene of Cillian Murphy’s character wandering around deserted London and then being chased ending in the gas station explosion. The rest of the score is by John Murphy with one track by Brian Eno iirc

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ixtlilton posted:

I watched Four Lions and it was funny for an hour and a bit and then made me sad and now an hour later I'm still sad.

3.5/5

Philthy posted:

Occult (2009)

A found footage documentary film. A crew investigates a scene where three people were brutally attacked. Of the three, one survived with a gnarly pattern cut into his body. They begin to interview the survivor and follow him as he's now seeing miracles. The characters are all fantastic, the style, the story. I loved it all. This is definitely one of my top found footage flicks yet. There is even a special appearance by Kiyoshi Kurosawa (Director of Cure, which I really liked not too long ago!). So good.

4.5/5

What are the odds of both of the two funniest movies about suicide bombings in history both coming up on the same page? anyway these are both 5/5 stone cold classics and so is lake mungo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Philthy posted:

Deadly Friend (1985)
Directed by Wes Craven

Yikes. So, this started off well enough, if not a little cheesy. A high school college kid is a leading roboticist who makes a robot that sounds like a gremlin. The neighborhood has some issues, and it all goes downhill from there. A shotgun toting Mama Fratelli makes an appearance, and aside from a pretty hilarious kill scene, there wasn't much that was worthwhile here.

2/5

check out the production history on this one, studio interference basically changed it into an entirely different movie. Craven was originally aiming to do a sci fi romance in the style of Starman