Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Main Paineframe posted:

As DNC chair, their proposed strategies and their paths forward for the DNC are basically indistinguishable. As marketing entities for the Democratic Party, Perez is noticeably less charismatic and clearly was not ready to be quizzed on issues (which, to be fair, are not usually the concern of a DNC chair).

More or less this. Between this and the Bernie faction thing, I support Ellison but not as much as if he weren't a sitting Congressman.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Perez is the pick of the wing of the party that seems determined to learn no lessons whatsoever from the worst overall defeat in decades, which ought to be a bit disconcerting.

Except Perez is, himself, vocally interested in learning lessons?

Edit: Venomous, do you have a particular objection to either Perez's policies as SecLabor, or any policy differences between him and Ellison as DNC chair?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

Jill Stein is not running for DNC chair, c'mon now.

Ellison has pledged to step down from his House seat if elected.

Better than halfassing both, but he's been good* there. We'd lose him in the House in favor of some newbie. Which isn't terrible, it's just a little tick in the "cons" column.

* - not exceptional, but vocally progressive and with a slightly different take on things

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 4, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Frijolero posted:

How many Democrats are fired up about Perez?

If Ellison weren't running I'd be profoundly delighted to have Perez as the frontrunner. As it stands I'd say I'm reasonably fired up about Perez-or-Ellison-whichever reforming DNC strategy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

You screwed up the link. :mad:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/02/keith-ellison-democratic-national-committee-chair

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

This time last year the left would've been dancing in the streets at the idea of Perez leading the party and now people are crying he's an establishment puppet. Trump has broken people's brains.

I think the people treating a possible Perez victory as a vile betrayal are total morons and it annoys me that that's one of the reasons I have to prefer Ellison. :argh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:saddowns:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 10, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's a proxy war for Establishment Dems to remind lefties that they get absolutely nothing from the party and are held in contempt (see: Kaine, Tim) so no, actually, I don't.

Do you have actual loving objections to Perez, or is it all "Ellison is the Sanders faction candidate and our feelings will be hurt if he doesn't win, which is irritatingly a pretty good argument in favor of Ellison"?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

NNick posted:

The DNC is not a policy position, but one of power.

Since Perez comes from the Clinton wing of the party, people outside of that wing are skeptical he can remain neutral.

Ellison represents a shift to the left in who has organizing power. The democrats need those people to organize.. centrists don't organize. Since the Clinton democrats blew the last election, when it was her turn, now it should be someone who represents the people routinely demonized and delegimized during the primary for being impractical. A claim that became an absurdity when Clinton lost.

"And Perez does not meet these characteristics."

I am totally on board with an Ellison win and hope it happens, but PEREZ IS NOT MEANINGFULLY MORE ESTABLISHMENT IN ANY REASONABLE SENSE THE WORD IS USED YOU... VERY NICE PEOPLE WITH REASONABLE OPINIONS

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Youre suggesting Hillary had Beau Biden killed?

With brain cancer! :tinfoil:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

He's also 60 and a cancer survivor. He's going to retire at some point.

Legislatures do this. (And it's close but not quite this close; several states are nominally Republican-majority but have bicameral legislatures with Dems in control of one house.) In any event, governors don't get a (direct) say in the matter.

Also it takes two-thirds of states to call a convention but three-fourths have to ratify the output. Big difference.

(technically it doesn't take three-fourths of legislatures, just three fourths of states' ratifying bodies, so there's some room for wacky-rear end state ratifying convention shenanigans, but they'd basically have to either be in place (FLORIDA :argh: ) or go through the legislature)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 13, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Typo posted:

Support for free trade rise to new highs!

That's a dumb loving question in terms of phrasing (it's not exports so much as comparative advantage :argh: ) but whatever.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Grognan posted:

I am glad I am actually involved in the democratic party and seriously considering parallel organizations along side. Because if TB, Brainic Five, and stone cold are any indication of the hapless rage-junkie that needs to define anyone besides their specific clique on this forum as being monsters that cannot be reasoned with, actual people will be a breeze to work with.

I have some bad news about actual people. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

It is pretty funny how the three relevant candidates in the DNC race are all people on the left of the party, which sorta contradicts this idea that we're all doomed and the Democrats are solid like a rock on being the Devil Triangulator.

I assume the third is Buttigieg, and he is relevant by virtue of A) going on some shows and B) having a funny name. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

How many manufacturing jobs would you say Americans lost due to NAFTA?

Approximately net zero, since you ask.

Edit: also LK focused on the better issues

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Through a whole lot of factors better left to another thread, unionized manufacturing jobs switched places with service industry jobs that pay about 4/5ths as much. NAFTA (arguably) didn't really cost any jobs overall, but it absolutely devastated an entire class of relatively high wage earners.

Because this was largely seen as Clinton's fault, it also had the effect of driving the rust belt red as a beet

:hf:

I was admittedly engaging in more than a little economics sleight of hand by sneaking the NET zero in there. :v:

Otoh it's really super relevant that free trade is good for everybody if coupled with a robust social safety net (lol good luck).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

That's more Nixon really, but now we get to export it and make everyone else fat too. :getin:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

Perez, as assistant attorney general over civil rights, could have used a statute that rarely results in jail time to blow up the settlement his superior at Justice was negotiating to ensure the victims received restitution. But instead he allowed the settlement and restitution to proceed, robbing the American people of the slim possibility of jailing a banker for less than a year!

Perez, as secretary of labor, did not force unions to find new banks to manage their pension funds, and instead allowed them to continue using banks that did some bad poo poo totally unrelated to their management of pensions!

Sentence: death by guillotine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Great, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Name one [Bernie endorser who was in bed with finance].

Don Riegle

Edit: disingenuous comedy option, Governor Kitzhaber :v:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 22, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

And all of this is done in the service of making a leadership election between two candidates with very, very similar ideas (and who, by the way, both seem to be prepared to work with the other) into a rancorous and damaging factional grudge match simply because one candidate is perceived as coming from Team Bernie and the other Team Obama/Clinton (which is the same team now somehow). It's loving nuts.

The only people I yell at are the ones who think a Perez win is Treason Against The People, I'm actually pretty happy with both options ( and Bootijedge) :3:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

What's the thread's opinion on Greene?

Who? :v:

She'd probably be fine too, she ran Rock The Vote which did a decent job of energizing youngfolks. poo poo-all for party connections compared to Ellison and Perez, which you can take as good or bad.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

Based on hair, who's the best candidate? Like, we all agree that DWS' tragic perm is part of what led the Dems to disaster, right?

I imagine they give their token progressive targets a lot of scrilla.

Greene by default. Perez should probably just cut to the chase and shave his head, and Ellison keeps his hair boring.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

In a sane world this would be a strike against Ellison if it's true and not just Schumer being Schumer.

He is in fact at least nominally anti-BDS and has dramatically toned down his criticism of Israeli policy in Palestine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

Welcome to the republican party internal party political machinations.

I'm lying because I'm a plant of the establishment and want to keep you passionate people out. Real campaigns and party offices, even on the local level, are exactly like The West Wing and your local office is waiting for you to come in and be their Toby Ziegler. Definitely, Maybe is certainly not the most accurate representation of being a local campaign worker that Hollywood has ever produced

Given the makeup of the electorate (party functionaries), even going to Sunday is incredibly unlikely. In this case the progressiveness of each candidate is a virtue, since neither side's actual voters are likely to have a strong enough preference to turn it into a drawn out process. I think Buttigieg's main goal is to raise his profile, but with Dean supporting him he may emerge as a compromise candidate in the Adlai mold if hardliners do dig in and this poo poo gets brokered.

Based on my anecdotal outside-SA experience, it's been hugely good at raising his profile.

Including with me, I've gone from "lol Butt Mayor" to "I'd be as happy with him as with Ellison or Perez".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Unironically paging hardline Sanderistas who would be angry at a Perez win: how would you feel about Unlikely Compromise Buttigieg?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I don't think buttigieg even really wants to win. his whole run smacks of him raising his national profile in preparation for a senate or governorship run

And that would be great, I'm just curious about the bizarro timeline result, because, well, you know.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Confounding Factor posted:

So I'm convinced Perez is another lying corporate Democrat bullshitter but of course the donor class for the Democratic Party will give him the chair. Last night at the debate he was straight up asked if the primary was rigged but couldn't tell the loving truth and in that sleazy mealy mouth way dodged the question. He's like a used car salesman.

Go ahead and pick him I guess, obviously Democrats have done zero self analysis on why they loving lost last year (It's Comey's fault! It's Russia!) and we'll probably get another lovely centrist neoliberal Democrat candidate again.

All this business is why I grudgingly favor Ellison (or Butt Mayor) and that annoys me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Can we at least all agree that howard dean is a pretty cool/good dude?

Best DNC chair in a long time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Really tho i just don't want Perez so butt would be fine.

Why?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Remember when everyone wanted Perez to be Hillary's VP and usher in a golden-era of progressive change and union-friendly advocacy? 5 months ago before he became a corporatist Manchurian candidate.

Mr Trotsky, sometimes it is difficult to discern what side you are on.

I guess that explains Josef's decision.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

gohmak posted:

If Perez is "so much like Ellison" why is he running?

If Ellison is so much like Perez, why is he running?

Because they are both great and ambitious, and neither is a betrayal of Team Progressive

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A good sign

Maybe this Perez guy: not satan?

Alternatively, Ellison sold out to the establishment :argh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Chelb posted:

Congrats Perez! I think he'll do a good job and expect him to work with Ellison and others to help revitalize the Democratic party.

Making his first item of business reaching out to Ellison definitely allayed some of my concerns.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Confounding Factor posted:

So what's the silver lining with Perez as DNC chair?

If I had to pick one, it would be something along the lines of: even if you subscribe to establishment nefariosity, the fact that the establishment pick was a hell of a bulldog as Labor Secretary and running on an overhaul platform similar to that of the Sanders commie is a pretty big sign that they did not, in fact, learn literally nothing from the election.

Anyone open to the idea that Perez is not a worthless establishment tool should instead read Quorum's post.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 25, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

The Bernie wing obsesses about the DNC and their goings on like nobody ever has before. I'm extremely hesitant to brush this off as minor news

Yeah, Perez himself absolutely 100% needs to be seen reaching out to Team Bernie. More than he already has even.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

The deputy chair position is a new position as far as I can tell. Maybe wait a week or so before you call it out as symbolic?

Why? :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

lol WikiLeaks already going hard against Perez

You just know they had something lined up for all 2.5 plausible options.

Heck, maybe now that Ellison is a neoliberal hack at Perez's side they'll run their Ellison hit pieces anyway!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Condiv posted:

they're gonna lose harder in 2018, so then I guess. i mean, after 2018 we have republicans being able to call a constitutional convention on their own and then dems are extinct anyway.

This is sort of a side point, but amendments proposed by a convention still have to be loving ratified by 75% of states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm pretty sure the people unable to handle the loss they were just handed are not hillary supporters.

I was hoping for Ellison or a Butt Mayor Compromise precisely because that would result in fewer temper tantrums while being totally acceptable/good in actual practical terms.

• Locked thread