Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SIX STARS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i set aside a budget of $2500usd for tokyo dome next year will that be enough and should we devote a travel thread after g1 for the dome if enough goons are goin again

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Do what i do buy a roundtrip from seattle to Tokyo for about 700 then fly out of newark to seattle for 120. Roundtrip.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

If i go its gonna be 5 days max. Im def gonna hit new years dash but i dont know what goes on that weekend beyond the two nnpw shows. Next year is on a thursday and friday at least. Whats a rail pass cost like?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tell me about this suica card. And is the tokyo dome hotel affordable

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Solus posted:

Who's everyones favourite New Japan Dad? I really like Satoshi Kojima and have a soft spot for Manabu Nakanishi

yuji nagata

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hmm I wonder if I wanna do g1 instead. I get more shows and can go to an Osaka show as well but then I'm probably there for more than a week depending on the g1 schedule

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I might be headed to Japan before too long, are there any big show coming up in the next few months? I know Dominion is usually a big deal and the G1 obviously, but I was hoping for something before that.

sakura genesis in early april, fantasticamania this month and part of next month with new japan cup and the new beginning in february. march is kind of dead.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

push nakanishi

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Grant DaNasty posted:

I signed up for New Japan World last Wednesday and got charged 999 yen. Now today I got charged another 999 yen.

Do they just charge you at the beginning of every month regardless of when you sign up?

Yes

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i did not know that stardom had a service or was that cheap, putting in a sub now.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this card had two five star matches. great show. great main event. lost my poo poo at omega dodging the rainmaker by passing out.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ibushi omega final

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Baron Corbyn posted:

I cannot wait to see Fale sell ZSJ's offence

This is probably a 6 minute match where zsj gets like 80 moves in, rack bombed, pinned.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i kinda wish john pollock got the gig but kelly and callis are fine. kinda eh on josh and jr.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if okada keeps his belt all the way until wrestle kingdom, he will surpass Shinya Hashimoto's 3rd reign for the longest run with the belt. at the same time, this is probably the single best title run any champion of any promotion has had i think.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NJPW right now currently has more recognized and sanctioned championships aside from CMLL, which has like a billion belts, than any other major company post territory era, at least as a single-conference type promotion. The only thing that I think comes close is WCW in 1991, where they went nuts and just made belts for the sake of having them. I guess you can count WWF in 2001 too if you consider the Invasion, but it was more or less a foregone conclusion those belts were all merging by years end anyway. WWE today has 9 main roster championships, but those titles are also locked up in a brand split, with Raw having 5 and Smackdown having 4, so its easier to parse those championships as being representative of different conferences, wheras NJPW its a free for all for who gets to contend for what championships.

NJPW currently sanctions:
IWGP Heavyweight Championship
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship
IWGP United States Championship
IWGP Intercontinental Championship
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
NEVER Openweight Championship
NEVER Openweight 6-Man Championship

WCW had at peak belt year 1991:

WCW World Heavyweight Championship (1991-2001)
WCW Television Championship (1991-2000)
WCW United States Championship (1991-2001)
WCW Light Heavyweight Championship (1991-1992)
WCW 6-Man Tag Team Championship (1991-1991)
WCW United States Tag Team Championship (1991-1992)
WCW World Tag Team Championship (1991-2001)

As evidenced here, a lot of these titles were created when WCW was finally defined and separated from the NWA during an establishment period, and were dropped pretty quickly. The 6 man and US tag Titles were dropped for good, the Light Heavyweight title would be brought back as the Cruiserweight title years later. 1996 wound up being something of another expansion year with the addition of a women's championship that was hardly defended and dropped not too long after its inception. An August 1996 Observer noted that a WCW Japanese Heavyweight championship was commissioned, but it never came to fruition. My speculation was that this would have been a championship to be loaned out to NJPW since that was their primary partner out there.

WWF in 2001, not counting WCW championships:

WWF World Heavyweight Championship
WWF Intercontinental Championship
WWF European Championship
WWF Hardcore Championship
WWF Light Heavyweight Championship
WWF Womens Championship
WWF World Tag Team Championship

WWF in 2001 had a large number of championships for a single conference promotion, with the Hardcore title as the obvious comedy belt. The only championships that ever got serious focus and push/protection were their Heavyweight championship and for a period the Tag Team championship (e&c/dudleys/hardys period), which was still treated like a burden when main eventers held it.

Contrast this to NJPW, where while the tag championships are overlooked and haven't been seriously protected or treated as main event titles in years, (Only really AJPW and ROH, outside of mexico, in the past 25 years really pushed tag team titles to such a level) NJPW's singles titles today all get strong pushes and are protected to a degree that WWF/E never really did beyond their two main championships. Most of this has more to do with how protected most of NJPWs talent is and how much credibility they give to their wrestlers.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

If NJPW were to make another belt though, we'd be running out of space for these champions.

The IWGP Heavyweight Championship is probably the most protected championship in wrestling today.

The US championship seems like its only going to be defended either stateside or against western opponents.

The NEVER championship seems like its an unspoken hard hitting match style championship, seeing as the last batch of champions have been guys like Suzuki, Shibata, Ishii, Makabe, etc.

The IC championship is the second highest ranking championship mostly only being held by guys at the IWGP HW championship match level, to the point it was basically a second sanctioned top tier belt a couple of years back.

The Jr. Heavyweight championship definitely went on the back burner during Devitt's last run, and since Takahashi won it last year, it's just finally been getting regular action and focus.

The Jr. Tag titles seem to for the longest time have just been the Young Bucks Are In This Match belt and never seem to stay on one team to have an actual reign with.

The HW tag titles have been in a bad place for a long while. I think War Machine have done good with them, and hopefully we get Smith and Archer back in the mix soon with Archer all healed up finally. I think these have the potential to become a hard hitting tag team style championship similar to the Never Openweight title.

The NEVER 6 man titles really come off as pointless other than to signify the "main event" of the Multiman Tag portion of main show undercards and some Road To shows.

this is all just my perception of the championship but I feel its pretty on the mark as an assessment of them.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i have had my eye on konnosuke for a couple years now, he is gonna be A Big Deal if he ever gets out of DDT/raises stock of DDT

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i really like the idea of three really decently packed cards spread out over a month.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it also looks like KES and GOD might each get a 1 week run with the tag belts with how its scheduled, dunno how i like that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if i had to guess it also looks like hiromu/evil v okada/ospreay could have title eliminator applications for the jrs there.

this is gonna be another great month in what i think has to be njpw's best year ever for match quality. i think this is the strongest year for wrestling when it comes to matches since 94-96 AJPW.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Also a way to ensure g1 winner isn't pointlessly losing matches before wk

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

poo poo i didnt even know there was a roh show coming here

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

how do i watch ajpw

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Suplex Liberace posted:

Real Hero drive uploads the shows.

thats still around!?!?!?!?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

free jiwan

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i have decided that hiroshi hase was the best wrestler in the 1990s for njpw.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

This feels like probably the best time for gaijins in japan since early 1990s

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Thauros posted:

I don't have a read on where they're going with the US but I do think they'd want to give Ibushi a signature win heading into WK and Tana doesn't really have a signature singles match being built for the Dome.

suzuki?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Im at a nine inch nails show and have seen at least 9 bullet club shirts

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the iwgp heavyweight championship has not changed hands at wrestlekingdom since 2011 when satoshi kojima dropped it to hiroshi tanahashi. i could see okada straight up retaining but at the same time...who's left to challenge him?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

okada has the 2nd most defenses ever. insane.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i would fukcing fly there

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Thauros posted:

yeah it's never happened since they started doing the briefcase after the BR takeover and it's clearly time to change that. I do think it's impressive that Okada doesn't feel remotely stale despite being champ for almost the entire period of time since Dominion 2015 (Naito's 70 day reign being the only hiccup).

kazuchika okada is the best wrestler in the history of professional wrestling.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Cameo posted:

At which point he'll cross the combined reign total, too.

I think I did the math at one point and he'll hold the record by two days, one if you don't count the 4th itself. There's 74 days until Wrestle Kingdom, he's at 1,286 right now. Tanahashi has 1,358 total days.

He'll still be six defenses short of Tanashi's total of 28 defenses after WK12, though, but in time, he'll beat that, too. He'll have also beaten the combined reign days total by three reigns - Tanahashi's total is spread across all seven reigns, and Okada's only on his fourth. He's gonna stack another couple hundred days on that total days as champ before he's done for good. He's already at a legendary status and he's not even loving 30. Has anyone added up how many ****+ matches he's had from Dave this year? It has to be a record, I'm sure, or close to it.

his ratio for all matches he has had this year being ****+ is 85%. including prelim tags.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i hope kenny omega never beats kazuchika okada.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Reading the HOF stuff in this weeks Observer and Okada pretty much is 100% first ballot Hall of Famer in 2019. Still hard to believe he's only 30

he has the best dropkick in wrestling history too its not fair

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Baron Corbyn posted:

He has unfinished business with Omega, he could wrestle Ibushi or have a match with Big Mike or Juice. He hasn't wrestled Tanahashi in a while so they could do a program to show that Okada has definitely surpassed them (since I think their last match was a draw?) and then throw in some title defences against those guys' buddies, sidekicks or underlings and you have enough material to last you through until WK13.

you forgot toru yano whose match would have the scariest nearfalls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Thauros posted:

Reminder that the jr tag rounament starts tomorrow

Road to POWER STRUGGLE
October 23rd at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Korakuen Hall

Tomoyuki Oka and Syota Umino vs. Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi and Leo Tonga)
Taguchi, Liger, TMIV and ACH vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi, Despy, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
CHAOS (Toru Yano and Hirooki Goto)vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka)
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, and Katsuya Kitamura vs. Kota Ibushi, Juice Robinson, and David Finlay
CHAOS (Okada, Ishii, and YOSHI) vs. L.I.J (Naito, EVIL, and SANADA)
Super Jr Tag Tournament Rd 1:KUSHIDA and Hirai Kawato vs. Roppongi 3k
Super Jr Tag Tournament Rd 1:Dragon Lee and Titan vs. L.I.J (Hiromu and BUSHI)

\

mother fucker update the op

• Locked thread