Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If you're just joining us, Minoru Suzuki was a leader/founder of PANCRASE, legit shoot fighter, a Gotch disciple, and loving awesome. Also billed as "The Angriest Man in the World."

And has easily the best theme in NJPW save maybe Liger.

https://youtu.be/A0P-SgpwYnE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

<-suzuki-gun--LIJ--bullet club--CHAOS--GBH--new japan main force->

I could understand BC being on the slide a bit but I didn't realize LIJ are considered bigger heels than they are.

Also NJPW main force is all the faces not in groups (Tanahashi, Liger and Tiger, KUSHIDA, TenKoji, etc).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

Oh, and could harperdc or anyone else with knowledge of Japanese shed light on what the Boat Race thing that prominently sponsored WK and NYD is?

http://boatrace-3days2017.jp/

Obiously Tana/Okada/Makabe are involved but I can't figure out much beyond it.

Looks like a cross-promotion event with BOAT RACE in Japan, better known as Kyotei https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky&#333;tei

It's been around since after the war, and people on these tiny little outboard boats race around small courses for short heats. So what gives?

"It is one of Japan's four "Public Sports" (公営競技 kōei kyōgi?), which are sports events where parimutuel betting is legal." Emphasis mine. The others include horse racing and velodrome cycling. So same as Japan's horse racing obsession, it comes down to gambling.

[edit] forgot to mention, during the Suzuki-gun NOAH run in 2015 I saw one of the singles tournament nights at Shinjuku FACE (which is almost as tiny as the Reseda bingo hall) and got to see MiSu versus Colt Cabana and that was exactly as you'd expect.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 6, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

huh i knew about keirin and obviously parimutuel betting horse racing is commonplace in the west but I had no idea there was an aquatic equivalent

I'd forgotten they also do it with asphalt (!) speedway motorcycle racing, which seems like a real bad idea.

near where I used to live in the boonies there was a Boat Race facility and it was kinda cool because I love all forms of racing but it felt real kinda scuzzy at the same time. Still haven't been to bet on the ponies around Tokyo yet but that might be a fun day too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

five public sports. keijo.

the wikipedia entry for this says zero about gambling but I'm just going to assume it's in there, because of course it would be.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

^^^^

Champion's partner costing him a win is a great way to setup a feud between two friends/former allies. "The champ should never eat a pin in a tag match" ignores lots of context, including in this case. There's a lot of ways they can have the champion get pinned in a tag match and not look like a schlub. New Japan usually does it better than WWE (which is to say, making more sense and much less frequently).

Jerusalem posted:

Like all good fathers, Gedo wants to embarrass his perfect son in public :3:

it's the caption that sells it -- "With a Taiwanese fan" :haw:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think a couple friends from the U.K. want to do WK12/NYD proper so my streak of "show up to Tokyo Dome/Korakuen and wing it" will likely end.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

JR Rail Pass - the price for a one-week Rail Pass is equal to going to go Tokyo-Kyoto or Osaka on the bullet train round trip. If you plan on that, then the pass gives you access to most parts of Tokyo basically for free. If not, put cash on a Suica and use it instead as that is train-line agnostic.

Tokyo has lots of expensive hotels, and also places that are not too expensive at all. Booking Hilton or anything like that is going to be expensive. Capsule hotels are a neat gimmick but it'll be tough if you have a large suitcase.

Last pro-tip for the moment: 7-11 and Japan Post ATMs are the best places to pull money from foreign bank cards, namely Visa and MC.

[Ed] yeah I'm gonna have to put together some kind of "Tokyo/Japan travel for wrestling geeks" post huh.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 12, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Bonus is you'll be there during summer and you can go to Arashiyama :swoon:

Yes, but Japanese summer.

Ok cool. I'll try to throw something together soon.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Solus posted:

Oh so it's the japanese equivalent of 🍆💦💦

Tl;dr basically. Chapu-chapu is "splish-splash" so draw the connections you want. Japanese ain't a great language for swearing or sexting.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSBPSeXaMwE

Pro click right here - Their really great day diary series is back and it's another with Omega. This covers day one of Tokyo Dome leading up to the Okada match. The interviews with fans seem so much more effective than what you usually see.

I wonder how much longer the native English speakers will be allowed to work kinda blue on promos like this. We'll see. Might not hurt them for web stuff like this to be honest.

also the end reminds me that I found that sometime recently the arcade Taiko Drum Master games now have Okada's entrance theme as a playable song. Found that out last weekend.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

When the boss has been speaking at the ceremony for 15 minutes already.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

RIP Young Boys, Suzuki-gun's in town.

Harry Smith is looking a lot better than I remember before he got sent to NOAH.

Edit: Actually is he still going by Harry or did he change to Davey Boy Junior after he left WWE?

He's been DBS Jr as part of KES and in NOAH, so yeah, that. KES have been that kind of hard-hitting tag team forever, I'll have to watch this on demand later.

And you know Suzuki is back when he's punting young boys :swoon:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Iizuka is the drizzling shits, sorry to ruin that for everyone.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Germ Incubator posted:

I wish they had an app for Ps4, I'm too lazy to have to keep connecting my laptop up to the tv...

I think Sony has only sold something like 4 million PS4s in Japan, less than 10% of worldwide to date. Sadly I don't think the "console game fans" and "wrestling nerds" Venn diagrams overlap enough to make that happen, even only for the Japanese store.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/TigerMaskW/status/829998549358108672

Somebody needs YTR as an avatar

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If you're serious, holler in the PMs.

[Edit] still have a Travel Guide drafted, might have to finish that today.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Venomous posted:

that reminds me, I have a friend who's going to Japan in April, and I asked them to buy me an LIJ t-shirt from the New Japan shop b/c gently caress paying the shipping costs. I fit a UK medium, but is a Japanese medium anywhere close to that, or should I get a size up or down or whatever?

Go at least one size up. If you're not super broad-shouldered for your size, or a "tall" medium, then you should be fine with an L.

For example, the sizing information on the NJPW Shop page for this LIJ shirt says that the 'width' is 50 cm, and 'length' is 68 cm. I believe that means "shirt lying flat on a surface" as opposed to circumference sizing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

Is the travel guide for things like easiest way to get tickets, merch, etc. for the travelling fan? Would love something like this and hope you finish and post it.

Yeah, an intro on general things, links to further "how to get around Japan/Tokyo," and then more about wrestling in particular.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sk posted:

is there still the goon who was buying japanese merch and shipping it to the US? i really want the betty boop bullet club shirt but it looks like it's only available in japan :(

Hi send a PM if you're serious.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

So, I'm going to be in Japan when Sakura Genesis happens. I'll be in Hiroshima when it happens so I'm not flying up to Tokyo to see it but are there sports bars or something that'll be showing it like you get with WWE shows in the US/UK?

there miiiiiiiiight be some kind of pro-wrestling bar you can go into, but no, probably not. Culturally it's not the same like in the US or UK.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

This is Kenny Omega's first match back since New Year's Dash, so he got a goddamn hero's welcome on his return.

Semi-main was fun, so was Bucks/WM. Pretty stock Korakuen tag-a-palooza show but still watchable.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

he's basically already been received as a face for a while and now he's getting the face go-home promos at the end of shows

I honestly thought it was coming yesterday, so maybe it'll happen tonight?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Punisher Martinez is such a goofy name

I'm glad Naito decided that dude wasn't tranquilo enough, he really doesn't look like it.

Not sure why the Bucks have the ROH belts tonight too...

[Edit] you can tell that tonight is definitely more the house show. Love having NJPW World matches with no commentary, feels like the old days.

[Edit 2] okay this is DEFINITELY the "goofy house show" night

harperdc fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 27, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

We should see how non smarky crowds treat him because these seemed more like Japanese smarks than the normal crowds they get.

Okada was over as hell on Sunday's show and like Kenny said, "It's Mondaaay. You had to wooork." So it's definitely the smark crowd Monday night.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles Gnarwin posted:

That's exactly how I feel. I don't ever want to see a wrestler injured, especially permanently.

Same. Wasn't a huge Honma fan before that came out, not at all after, and still wouldn't wish this to him at all. Hope he can recover to at least be back to normal even if his career has to end.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

An English update on Honma's status and injury, sounds like it's wait and see still for a full recovery.

quote:

Takeshi Misawa, NJPW Trainer

Honma suffered an injury to his spinal column. There was swelling between the third and fourth cervical vertebrae, which led to some paralysis. The following day, he was gradually able to regain some motion in his hands and feet.
Now he is able to move his feet a fair amount, and he can grip objects and bend his elbow. He is making progress day by day.
The biggest worry with an injury between the third and fourth vertebrae is the effect it can have on circulation and respiration. At this point he is out of the most dangerous period of the first couple of days after the injury. As such he was moved from the ICU this afternoon and we hope he will continue to recover from there.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

like once a year, maybe twice at most

They're to the point of running in Taiwan and Singapore one weekend a year each IIRC, right. If you poke around on their page you can find dates but I think they were in Taiwan in late Jan-Feb, from memory. But much like WWE making a single annual trip to Japan, those international NJPW ones are pretty regularly set.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Kenny Omega may be one of the hottest wrestlers going nowadays but for God's sake why would you wanna piss off Ishii!?! :ohdear:

heat check

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Caught up last night, Kenny vs Ishii was absolutely nuts and I kinda wish the fall had come on the lariat. Still a good finish though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I'm going to assume that Dave just hosed up the dates because the NJPW website still shows 7/1 and 7/2.

Japan is 16 hours ahead of the west coast, this might be the reason?

Also Yano even named his autobiography "I know NOTHING about pro wrestling," so he's pretty grounded about it all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

Wonder if this was always the plan or if a spot opened up when Honma got hurt. Either way, its a great challenge for him and hope he has a good tourney.

I would guess that was always in the cards and not contingent on Honma breaking.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

I feel I should know this, but when Kojima does his rush into the corner and follows up with his call-and-response with the crowd, was it is the crowd saying?

行っちゃうぞ、バカヤロウ!
Icchauzo, bakayarou!

"I'm coming, ya bastard!" is good, another way I'd think of it as is "HERE IT COMES, MOTHERFUCKER!" Generally in that ballpark. Japanese doesn't have too much in the way of direct swearing analogues, but how he says it and the "bakayarou" at the end make it fairly crass. FWIW, the dictionary I have note "bakayarou" as colloquial and derogatory for "idiot."

This talk of tickets and coming G1 season reminds me I owe the thread the Wrestling in Japan guide. I'll finish that this week. Jerusalem, is it cool to link/quote your WK ticketing guide from before?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I also realized that wrestling fans loving Kojima's twitter feed get the same joy that I got from reading my Japanese junior high school students' writing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SLUM KING posted:

Are any of you guys going to Sakura Genesis in the flesh?

I know the Tokyo Dome and Korakuen Hall let you bring in outside food and drink but BuySumoTickets says that ain't the case for Sumo Hall. Anyone know if that's true? Please tell me it isn't. I wanna chug cheap Strong Zeroes.

Same rule as everything in Japan: don't be a dick about it. Get a big backpack and fill it up, and if you get caught, own up to it.

It might be the case, but going the last couple years to WWE at Sumo Hall I've only been drinking beforehand and not able to bring opened drinks. Haven't tried to bring closed cans in.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jack Anderson posted:

How's Shibata? Last I heard he was in the hospital.

Probably sitting cross-legged looking quite furious.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

The most puro thing ever is for him to split from New Japan and form a vanity promotion.

Actually yeah it's this right here.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Do they not use dehydration / exhaustion as an official euphemism for coke binges / alcoholism in Japan, because I don't know how you can be athletic for a living and not avoid that level of health-imperiling dehydration. Unless all sorts of people are out there rolling the dice

I'm not sure how much play Bolivian marching powder gets in contemporary Japan, usually if you hear about people busted for drugs they're just referred to as "stimulants" and I'd imagine they're closer to speed than anything else. "Cutting water weight because muscles" is probably the better thought and closer to the truth to be honest.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles Gnarwin posted:

They (like us at the time) probably just thought he was selling. The footage is horrifying in hindsight.

Yeah it becomes really goddamned horrifying as soon as we know he had a sub-dermal hematoma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

How bad is the Fukuoka crowd? If the crowd is actually hot I can see Okada getting 4 stars out of Fale what with them pushing him cracking under the weight of so many tough matches. If it's like the crowd for this pasty show though...

Fukuoka crowds are weird, you'd think they'd be more amped because it's the one massive show for the year, but they're regularly dead, because...they get one massive show a year and no real tours.

It might be better now that NJPW's profile is higher, and a good shows gonna be a good show, but yeah.

• Locked thread