Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As an addendum to the G1 Special outside the US question, is the version on New Japan World gonna be with Kelly and Callis calling the show? Or JR and Josh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrBling posted:

uhm no, he is the King of Darkness.

So he's Castlevania Dracula?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Plush biology is hardier than regular felines.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Cameo posted:

Yeah, the whole mixup with ROH announcing a US title match in October and New Japan being like “un-announce that” suggests that it’ll be defended one of the nights of Destruction next month. Probably against Elgin?

More likely against Juice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tana dropping to ZSJ and then Zack defending against Ishii sounds good. Zack and Ishii are 1-1 this year, so a rubber match for a title seems like a solid bet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ishii is like a big angry Mr Potato Head that does clotheslines and brainbusters. He's the best.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

when we were saying that tana needed to go under the knife this isn't what we meant

It was the mystery knife man that they showed on the big screen! HE MUST BE STOPPED!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, and Dave's said that's why Ishii's not going on the ballot yet, because he'd also be based purely on workrate.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Johnny Landmine posted:

It's cool that my first live NJPW experience is gonna be Kenny defending the US belt against Juice and all, but part of me was hoping that Tana/ZSJ would be Kobe's main event just so I could be the one hapless foreigner in a ZSJ shirt surrounded by a sea of GO ACE

Be the only guy in the crowd wearing Juice merch.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I Before E posted:

TM4 and Liger again?

Team Tiny Masked Dads.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Have New Japan ever had women's matches, even as one off attractions? I know the gender divide is even more pronounced in Japan than in western wrestling, but curious as to if it's ever even been tried.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Kenny's coming back for the Juice match.

Dropping the strap maybe if the injury is bad?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually really liked that Rocky Romero was able to translate the promos at the end of the G1. That was the idea when they had someone like Yoshitatsu at the desk, but Yoshi's English isn't strong enough to pull off the colour commentary aspect, while Rocky and Don were able to do the babyface/heel announcer dynamic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But I want Ishii to win... but I also want best pals Naito and Hiromu to win too! :ohdear:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

shiksa posted:

so did nagata just retire from doing the g1 I guess?

Yes? That was always what they were saying.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

that main event was pretty bad.

Crowd didn't sing Suzuki's song, they deserve what they get.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

There's a lot of good poo poo happening in NJPW right now but Taguchi Japan and Funky Future specifically are really working for me.

Taguchi countering the Meltzer driver with a springboard butt tackle is beauty.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Back To The Future is a great name for the move, though?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Sydal: All right Matt, you can do this. Just gotta go a week without actuall-
Goes to jail

I'm picturing it like that sequence from The Lost Weekend that gets homaged all the time. Just Sydal wandering through Tokyo at 2am, seeing pot leaf tees, 'decorative hookahs' and vape shops everywhere he turns...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

here comes the spunk posted:

It's funny to see the huge turn around on Taguichi over the past couple years. No one used to like him at all around here.

PSP has gotten much more funky since then

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Actually the biggest turn around I've had since the start of the year has been on Yano. Used to be meh on him but his run of comedy especially in the G1 has me liking him more (Just never let him get a IWGP title shot unless it's against Okada)

What if Omega's the champ?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's only a matter of time before they give Juice a title run, right? It's just figuring out which belt he gets, really. I suppose the US title makes the most sense, and if Kenny were to drop it so he could get a world title run, Juice wouldn't be a bad call to try and keep it relevant.

Johnny Landmine posted:

Ayumi Nakamura being stoked that "Kaze Ni Nare" got the same sort of pop when Suzuki showed up in the US as it always gets in Japan is delightful.

https://twitter.com/ayumi_nakamura/status/912553082340311040

"This is amazing!! My manager Bambi cried when she watched this!!! It's just too moving!!! Thanks so much to the person who filmed this! What a wonderful gift!"

Suzuki's right there in her mentions with "American fans kept asking, 'who made that great song?' They actually know what 'kaze ni nare' means, too."

How can we not when Kelly basically says it every time Suzuki comes out?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is the theory that Kenny/Ibushi at WK is going to be title-for-title, then?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I could maybe see Tana vs, like, EVIL, ZSJ or Juice for the IC, Ibushi challenges for the US and I dunno, Ishii or BIG MIKE for the NEVER?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Stone Pitbull works hard, Stone Pitbull plays hard. Unlike other, non-stone Pitbulls who only claim to do either.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's going to be a tough sell. Not as much as YOSHI-HASHI, but still, no-one's gonna buy Kenny's losing the title before the Dome, especially not to a guy who's barely had a singles match in the last what, 5 years?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The interesting thing is if Jericho's one-and-done, or if he wins the belt and then drops it back in March in Long Beach. Jericho and Omega both appearing would be a hell of a draw for the March show. (And it could still let him pull a Hardy move and work Wrestlemania if he wants the feather of working both WM and WK in the same year)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 5, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

Still trying to figure how Jericho's WWE obligations are letting him do this.

Jericho doesn't sign long-term these days, does he? If he's off touring with Fozzy, he's not under an active contract, I assume, which means he's technically been free to take other wrestling bookings, he just doesn't normally.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm actually fairly sure his last WWE match wasn't under contract, he just happened to be in town, so they asked him to work the show (and then changed the match because of the hosed-up finish between KO and AJ at the PPV)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I saw the news before I saw the show, and I briefly wondered about his entrance, and then seeing the angle made it pretty obvious, the background music for the video sure sounded like Judas by Fozzy, so I assume he's going to use that as his entrance music, and the countdown was just different enough that I think WWE would have a hard time objecting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Remember when it seemed kinda bleak for NJPW because they lost Nakamura, Devitt and The Good Brothers?

Seems forever ago now.

Well, Devitt did leave 4 years ago. It's also amazing that AJ Styles did nothing for like 3 years after leaving TNA and before WWE...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Amazon pretty much pay you for a Fire Stick at this point, and if the banner ad with Kenny tells me anything, NJPWorld is on that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

Yep, song is called Judas which is their big single right now. Actually got some good momentum on a few international charts when it came out and I think cracked the Billboard 200.

Hopefully goes better than the last time he tried to enter to one of his own songs.

And to everyone assuming he's out of Mania due to the cruise... you know the cruise is in like October next year, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Your Boy Fancy posted:

There are thirteen members of CHAOS that I can think of, including Chuck. I care about like four of them.

There are five members of LIJ, and I love them all.

Ohh, let's see if I can do it without Googling....

Okada
Gedo
Jado?
YTR
Ishii
Goto
YOSHI-HASHI
Ospreay
Rocky?
Roppongi 3K?
Beretta?

poo poo, who did I miss?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

the random adjacent members like the briscoes and sakuraba. chuck will be listed as a member most likely.

Wait, Sakuraba is in CHAOS?

The gently caress? :psyduck:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also couldn't you just say the most successful WK ever? I know the Dome shows predate the WK name, but it would be true, unless New Japan ran the place outside of January in the last decade?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

Wonder if the strong advance will give them incentive to amp up the sizzle a little more. Entrances have been a little more low key the last couple years and especially compared to the batshit 2014 show (Devitt zombie demon, Marty Friedman playing out Tanahashi, the Nakamura poledancer entrance, etc.)

Jericho's almost certainly playing himself out with the rest of Fozzy if he can manage to get Bushiroad to pay for them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Anthem wishes TNA was worth 34 million yen, let alone dollars.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This whole thing with Jericho talking poo poo about Naito reeks of what he and Kenny did before the angle at Power Struggle, so I assume Jericho's already agreed more dates and is going to do something with Naito and/or LIJ in general. The only thing is that I can only see it making sense really if Naito loses and Jericho wins at WK. I suppose if they do the reverse you could have Naito talk smack about Jericho at the post WK press conference or at New Year's Dash and do a brawl or other angle to force Naito to offer a shot at the title to get his hands on Chris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fans: AJ Styles has mom hair!
Tana: Hold my beer

• Locked thread