Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

After New Year's Dash, I have no clue where so many guys will fit in. Suzuki-Gun is obviously going to war with Chaos, so that leaves most of the BC guys like GoD out of title hunts. I wonder if they have Suzuki beat Okada, Kenny win the NJ Cup and take the belt from him, then we spend a good portion of the year building to Okada/Omega II at WK 12.

I hope LIJ gets the trios titles back in brutal fashion so they can reign over the rest of NJPW while Chaos is distracted.

But most of all, I hope that YOSHI-HASHI wins the ROH world title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

shiksa posted:

Is chaos a face faction, or at least a little more so than lij and bullet club? It kinda seemed that way outside of the team they had in the tag title match. Sorry, wk was the first njpw show I've seen in full I'm just trying to get my bearings right going forward.

Chaos are the main face faction in NJPW, though some members can have edge depending on who they feud with (e.g. Will Ospreay and his potty mouth trying to dethrone KUSHIDA). The tag team match featured Toru Yano who is a beloved scamp for his cheating rather than being booed. Sort of like late era Eddie Guerrero.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Nagata is the best New Japan dad, but Kojima is the cool uncle who takes you for ice cream when your dad is being too hard on you.

https://twitter.com/cozy_lariat/status/780605747335790592

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I don't know whether to be more distressed that my favorite NJPW guy will be getting buried or Shibata using so many emojis

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I finally watched the Road To show and can confidently say that Will Ospreay is a foolish child who has signed his own death certificate.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Spuckuk posted:

What did the flippiest man from Essex do now?

He stepped to the baddest mother chapper on Earth and we're finally going to see a seated backflip PK sell.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

OGB posted:

Punisher Martinez is baffling, both in ROH and here.

He's going to be the biggest test of the assumption that Japanese fans like gaijin hosses.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Don't buy an LIJ shirt from PWTees if you want the rad print on the back. gently caress them for making me have to find a Japanese source to get a real Destino shirt.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Jerusalem posted:

I just couldn't get into Honma matches at all after all that domestic abuse stuff came out, but I wouldn't wish something like that on my worst enemy :(

That's exactly how I feel. I don't ever want to see a wrestler injured, especially permanently.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't know I would wish that fate on the entire GOP right now

I believe you'll find that the GOP is anything but an enemy to Jerusalem.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Thauros posted:

He wouldn't have pinned Goto in a match with three CHAOS juniors one night after pinning Shibata if he wasn't going to be a heavyweight. Yes, the NEVER title is technically openweight but they'd never debut a junior that way. Look at Hiromu's reintroduction in November if you want to see how they'd push a junior as a star.

Wouldn't shock me if he adds a fourth soon....

Goto wouldn't have even been in the match if Zack was a junior. NJPW is pretty careful about balancing their tags with respect to the divisions. Plus, without ZSJ in the heavyweight division, Suzuki-Gun would just be an army of juniors (and one big gaijin) led by an already small heavyweight.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

That is a solid rear end bracket. I'm predicting an Omega/Elgin final but I'm not sure yet who I think wins it all.

Shibata/Suzuki is going to be the toughest tough guy poo poo and I can't wait.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I wasn't having a pretty lovely day and then I watched Ishii bust out a frankensteiner so all is well.

Some big surprises in that first round. My prediction of Elgin/Omega in the finals went to poo poo so now I want EVIL and my boy Katsuyori to tear it up. Gedo is clearly a man who fucks, so maybe Shibata's chappin will finally get him that world title push.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Thauros posted:

not getting my hopes up but it would be nice if info = some idea of how these cards will be constructed

I'm going to assume that Dave just hosed up the dates because the NJPW website still shows 7/1 and 7/2.

I'm also hoping for details because I'm seriously considering buying tickets and flying out for the weekend, but I want to know that I will be seeing something worth flying 4 hours for.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

The cheat off section of EVIL/Fale was fun, but man I wanted and EVIL win.

Shibata/Ishii was outstanding. I could watch those two fight in perpetuity.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

gently caress yes, my boy Katsuyori did it!

I was bummed about EVIL not making the finals but it was the right call because LIJ splits the crowd so often these days. Hearing every single person in the building pulling for Shibata made the win that much better. Definitely fills Fale's good match quota for the year early; the last three to five minutes of the match were particularly great. Gotta admit I bit hard on the Grenade nearfall. That PK was straight up chest collapsing. I wonder if Fale negotiated not doing a forearm barrage in exchange for just eating the most thunderous kick in recent memory.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Baron Corbyn posted:

Shibata winning is cool and all, but the real story is that they're clearly building to a Juice Robinson vs. Tetsuya Naito match and that's amazing.

Juice will lose and be rewarded with an IWGP title match at Dominion. Dude knows how to fail upward.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Thrifting Day! posted:

Not really. The multi man tags are actually a great way to generate heat and build feuds. The problem is the ones that have involved Goto, he's not played a central or even supporting act in any of them (from memory).

He's just.... there.

His first big defense was against Juice and the story of the match was "Let's see if Juice can hang on long enough for Goto to gently caress up." And now Juice is higher in the card. It's the most Goto thing possible.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Red Shoes is the biggest heel in the whole company. Terrible ref~!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I couldn't find anyone willing to fly to CA with me for a wrestling show despite having a place to stay and a car secured for free. This is the life of a wrestling fan.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Shibata is taking that belt in front of a huge crowd.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Venomous posted:

Probably best if he misses the G1. And the Tag League. And you know it's probably best if he's out altogether until New Year's Dash.

He'll be at Dontaku with his head wrapped in tape because Shibata

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Shibata returning from injury to beat Okada at the Dome would be the best.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Now I feel bad for owning a shirt tribute to his G1 finals multiman headbutt.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Roman Reigns posted:

Is it a Japanese thing not to help out a performer who could barely go a few steps without collapsing to the back? Jesus

They (like us at the time) probably just thought he was selling. The footage is horrifying in hindsight.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Ricochet is the best junior walking the earth and I can't wait for BOSJ.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Kenny is taking that belt either in Osaka or Long Beach, but I don't think he's carrying it into the Dome. Okada being too worn out to hold onto the belt perfectly sets up him falling short in the G1 and then taking a short rest to come back for his belt before Wrestle Kingdom. The long term storytelling surrounding Okada right now is excellent and his in-ring work is unreal. It's still early but we are probably in the midst of one of the greatest calendar years in history for one wrestler.

As for the rest of Dontaku, War Machine is perfect for New Japan and that match was a great hoss off. The Trios titles continue to be way more fun than they have any right to be. Even the undercard had some good stuff.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Makabe would be a garbage matchup with no build. Kohima would be a great matchup with no build. Neither is the right call for Long Beach. Assuming Kenny is champ, I don't know how they could pass up a Juice title match. I mean, the guy did just lose a closely contested title match at the next belt down in the hierarchy.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Super No Vacancy posted:

let the juniors be juniors!!!!!

cold skull time

Sanada is all the star they need if they'd commit to a huge push.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

The_Rob posted:

If you don't like the name Evil for a wrestler. You can gently caress off. It's the most brilliant name of all time. It's peak wrestling.

It's made even better by his finisher also being named Evil. Because, ya know, everything is evil.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm behind a SANADA push but I'm worried his hair just isn't tall enough.

I'm worried that he's going to get a cease and desist from Bull Nakano soon

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Yoshitatsu managed to do a more hosed up thing to his own head than Shibata did.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Jenkem Delivery posted:

NJPW in Long Beach tix sold out within a couple minutes. Ticketmaster gave me an error when I tried to put my payment through so I lost my pair :(

Let me know if anyone has extra tickets down the road, I'd be interested

I was in at the opening second and couldn't even get it to show me tickets. gently caress Ticketmaster.

Block A is so ungodly stacked that they might as well run Block B exclusively on the single cam shows. I wonder if ACH makes the finals because the only other dude in that block I could see making it is KUSHIDA and he's been thoroughly destroyed by the champ enough lately that it wouldn't be exciting.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Have to think in group B it's either Kushida, ACH or Volador. Group A is wide open and half wonder if they'll have Hiromu win just for the mega push and also cause everyone will wipe each other out

Hiromu is my favorite to win the whole thing actually. They probably don't want Ricochet losing two straight title shots and he's barely around anyways. Ospreay has been on a tear on recent shows but I can't see him going back-to-back (plus CHAOS and LIJ seem to have some separation for the time being). I guess you could have ACH win as a surprise to continue Hiromu just eating up challengers while saving the Ospreay match for down the road. I'm foreseeing a licked trophy and a nice conversation with the belt.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Thauros posted:

make the NEVER serve its originally intended purpose and have juniors regularly compete. Give KUSHIDA a run maybe.

gently caress it, put some weights in KUSHIDA's pockets and have him win the G1.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Skinty McEdger posted:

Just send him on an excursion to Kitamura's gym bag.

FTFY

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

KungFu Grip posted:

https://twitter.com/Jacobs_Bawks/status/864345331542183936

good news, roh war of the worlds minus the TV Title match is up for everyone with NJPW World

I went and watched White/Ospreay and it was a very good match. Jay got beefy as gently caress and tried to murder a man to prove that he is no longer a young boy. Now we just need to fix that hair and he's ready to return.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

harperdc posted:

Don't have to fly in and get visas and hotels for things like Yano Toru's two spots in a multi-man.

If YTR doesn't come, I'll be glad I couldn't get tickets.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Naito bent the gently caress out of the IC belt.

Naito is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

checksin posted:

Taichi sucks so much

I cannot think of a wrestler with higher great entrance to otherwise general shittiness ratio. I commit to watching every tourney match for BOSJ and G1, but Taichi is really going to test my will this year.

• Locked thread