Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hackbunny posted:

I wonder if 1password could use a custom keyboard instead of the clipboard, as an interface between password database and applications

apps can also opt in to password manager integration, which 1password supports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

A Pinball Wizard posted:

can you get me a job

they only hire people who read the first sentence of posts

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

i admire him for trying but i agree that he's insane for trying to fix the turd that is php

yeah i'm not sure what to think

accessible security is important, and while php is accessible, that accessibility has made it a complete shitshow for doing things securely

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Malcolm XML posted:

pledge and friends should be a compiler pass tbh

it's usefult o have it not be one, because even p-langers would benefit from it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

the idea of the government controlling your washing machine so that it doesnt use too much electricity is such a perfect combination of computers, government surveillance and communism that I want these things to be active now just to watch republican's heads explode.

we live in the most mundane wizardpunk dystopia ever

in the us it's not the government, it's the utility

i have https://www.fpl.com/save/programs/on-call.html for my a/c

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

i would like to sign up to be the guy at the power company who decides who lives comfortably and who must deal with soggy half-dried clothes

the reason to have a plug on the washer instead of just a box that cuts the power to it is to allow the washer to say "i'm full of wet clothes, cut someone else"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

no device will turn on from a smart grid anything

you say that, but sarnsung is making things so…

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
remember that time you could get control of a car's CANBUS from the cell network? why do you think an appliance company will do a better job separating concerns inside a washing machine than a car stereo engineering firm and a car manufacturer?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fisting by many posted:

krebs released his big expose on the mirai author

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/01/who-is-anna-senpai-the-mirai-worm-author/

it's minecraft and anime all the way down

holy gently caress like i always knew that people into minecraft and anime were emotionally unstable and this just cements it further

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

I would guess a double-digit percentage of americans would install a DARPA-designed official LOIC-type app if the new administration advocated it. Or hell, just straight up pay telecoms to install servers in their networks, it's not like they've turned down free money for doing that in the past

that's insipid

NSA already installs stuff at telecom facilities

and the reason to use residental/small business internet connections for attacks is to make attribution difficult, hard to do when parties are going right out and saying "install this poo poo that lets us run attacks from your connection"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

serious question? does any one government department control enough resources to create a substantial ddos? I don't even know. I know there's a lot of server farms and some have taps everywhere, but what about actual traffic generation?

I'm not saying that it's necessarily smart or subtle, but as a ham-fisted way of putting pressure on someone I could kind of see the incoming administration looking at it as wizard gunboat diplomacy

seeing the goalposts on "substantial ddos" move in the last year or two, probably not, and that's okay, because no one man should have all that power, and the more minecrafters get behind bars i'm okay with that

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
yeah when you look at effective wizardwar stuff it's things like wrecking a whole nuclear enrichment plant while making the operators mistrust their computers and equipment

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/world/middleeast/16stuxnet.html posted:

But as Mr. Langner kept peeling back the layers, he found more — what he calls the “dual warhead.” One part of the program is designed to lie dormant for long periods, then speed up the machines so that the spinning rotors in the centrifuges wobble and then destroy themselves. Another part, called a “man in the middle” in the computer world, sends out those false sensor signals to make the system believe everything is running smoothly. That prevents a safety system from kicking in, which would shut down the plant before it could self-destruct.

“Code analysis makes it clear that Stuxnet is not about sending a message or proving a concept,” Mr. Langner later wrote. “It is about destroying its targets with utmost determination in military style.”

ddos is literally a tool for minecraft children, literally anything else is a better use of resources for wizard attacks

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

stuxnet was so cool.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Salt Fish posted:

ddos attacks are flatly the most cost effective attack you can conduct, no matter who you are, and they have the bonus of being literally unstoppable if the attack is sufficiently large.

yes ddos is cheap, but only really effective against things that need to be on the internet

so minecraft servers, jeez wheat for enterprises, etc. can be ddos'd effectively

something like an nuclear industrial facility can't be effectively ddos'd into making the nation more amenable to a treaty forbidding nuclear capabilities long-term because it shouldn't've been online in the first place

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

crazysim posted:

wasn't there some use of the great firewall by china to perform a ddos on some undesirables or was that just proto-mirai? i'm probably just confusing something. it's not nuclear i guess.

yeah i think it was blasting github and nytimes for having the temerity to let people in china read a particular newspaper?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

Which university?

if it's a proper uni they should have internet via the Dutch NREN and those guys have proper DDoS mitigation.

So he's probably at a poo poo-tier one.

even then DDoS mitigation can be predicated on the backend actually being able to handle things

like if it's a slow rear end J2EE poo poo with lots of remote stuff and talking to something slow like oracle or mysql you don't need to D your DoS between more than like six attackers that send HTTPS requests

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/22/travel/united-grounds-domestic-flights-because-of-it-issue/index.html?adkey=bn

not copying the article because there's literally no other useful info

bets on it being

a) cryptolockered servers

b) someone hosed around with that exploit of the booking system that let you change reservations

c) ddos

d) Russian hacking

e) node.js comedy option

https://twitter.com/pr1ntf/status/823322800194666497

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

a custom handmade implementation designed by 8 different contractors whose only contact with each other is via semaphore flags, you know like all government contracting

you forgot the part where any contractors that finish on time and on budget get rewarded by not getting more time and more budget

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

My guess would be that it would be hosted in Australia with the US zones as backup. they could probably negotiate for aus only hosting if they really wanted.

someone will realize it's a stupid project that funnels lots of taxpayer money to a known incompetent foreign company and try to kill it by adding lots of expensive requirements that will cause the project to blow past its budget

but nobody will ever straight up cancel it before it hits tres comas

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Shellphish did a pretty amazing dump of all the poo poo they did for the darpa wizard grand challenge: http://phrack.org/papers/cyber_grand_shellphish.html

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pollyzoid posted:

just a big pile of buffer overflows (and one integer overflow)

https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg1494526.html

tcpdump/wireshart are just big piles of vulnerable, since their goal is to be able to decrypt all the protocols

attack/defense CTF players like to find new 0-days before games to crash opponents

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ymgve posted:

wow, I thought it would be something like the USB condom except it enables the data pins when a passcode is entered, which would be a somewhat useful thing, but this is so much dumber

yeah really

i have a micro-usb cable from i think google's gift bag at enigma 2016 that you can toggle between power only and data (although i've forgotten which is which)

be kinda slick except no devices of value support micro usb

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

may 2017? just in time for yosmas

not once you add in kicksharter delays

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

six months of saying it's coming
four months of delays
four months of delays with promises that it'll come next month
two months of photos while still delaying with promises of it coming within six weeks
200 units shipped in one month while 15,000 units promised still pending
7,000 units shipped across three months
remaining units never shipped or produced and the founders run off citing that a business partner squandered the money

i'd say a bonus every quarter qirex-style but they probably won't have the foresight to first move ks funds to the caymans and then wait until knockoffs show up on aoliexpress

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
antirez has been dragging his idiot feet on ssl support for redis for two goddamn years, and running that even with self-signed certs would stop this (your browser would freak out)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

Cryptkeeper go p p

all the way $HOME

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

I'm still not sure why people habitually use -f when deleting stuff.

backtracking to this, i'm not sure why they would use `rm` instead of `mv` other than working too many hours or something

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

while researching Star Micronics' receipt printers today for reasons i came across the claim that they can even print reciepts from within web applications. that doesn't seem right, since it doesn't behave like a regular printer at all... let's see how they do it.

http://www.starmicronics.com/printer/technology/webprnt_browser

:stare: oh. you have to install a custom browser that exposes some weird javascript API and use that. great.

anyone wanna place bets on if the --disable-web-security flag will appear in the apk somewhere :v:

on a mobile os without a standard way to print to a bluetooth printer, what else are you supposed to do other than ship a browser that talks to your printer

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

not use a browser-based ~cloud~ point of sale solution in the first place

i kinda think it'd be fun to be able to use a receipt printer from your phone :3

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

you're just as loving dumb as the grey poster, shaggar. did you even read what my response was?

shut the gently caress up and stop posting

shut the gently caress up and don't reply to shaggar

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wheany posted:

and by favorite, i mean "the first one i tried"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powaqoatse posted:

ugh some dumbass kid keeps setting up game accounts with my email

im changing their passwords

lol i've had the same bozo trying to sign up a 2k sports account with one of my gmails for weeks now

i already killed someone's hollister club cali account for the same crime

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powaqoatse posted:

its weird how many people apparently dont know their own email address

it's more hosed up that services don't do double opt-in

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
did intel ever ship that actual rng instruction in chips you can buy

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
(all my work for the last year has had reproducibility as a primary goal)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i hear a lot of people saying AD is real bad wrt cyber security

can someone give me the rundown on why it's bad and how the heck are you supposed to replace it's functionality?

AD active directory? except for having to use Microsoft products having centralized accounts and poo poo it's good

also your second "it's" shouldn't have an apostrophe

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

the most gartner slide

Munkeymon posted:

what the poo poo has augmented reality got to do even a little bit with security?

I guess a hacker could gently caress with your headset and make you puke?

they're both concepts from William Gibson books

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
cabrón black

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah but basically every public project that uses some public CI service is gonna have sane defaults for that, right? 🤔

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

i only need an account to do online grocery orders

that said the rumour is that they're unsure how they got breached even though it seems to be based on previous breach data (ie: from Ashley Madison or whatever) being used to get access

i hope that means "president's choice plus"

• Locked thread