Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

OP you didn't answer my questions in the last thread so I'll repeat them here:

1) If you weren't going to spend any money on advertising why did you go with IndieGoGo and not Kickstarter for funding? You campaign page isn't good by any stretch of the imagination but it looks kind of glossy, and Kickstarter's internal marketing would have got you a lot more pledges based just off that and the anime pictures. Not quarter of a million worth but way more than $800, which should be embarrassing to you if you're running PR.

2) If you were going to go with IGG and you're making this game anyway, why didn't you go for flexible funding? You guys seem like the sorts to do that anyway, may as well go all in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Also you locked a sticked thread which you'd better believe is a paddlin' around these parts

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Crazy Achmed posted:

Just saying, I appreciate your answers to all my questions in the previous thread about the gameplay, and you should really do a writeup on the battle system and a video or series of pictures showing how it works. I can't say I speak for everyone here but I for one am unlikely to even consider pre-ordering a game without first seeing a working prototype.
And I can't remember if you answered, but I recall someone asking what the rest of the game would be like, between the fights. Are you planning on the older style of static backgrounds and menus, walking around in realtime (like Final Fantasy), or something different?

There is a 90s tactical combat game called Shadow Watch that has a vaguely similar interrupt/conterattack system to yours: you can assign unused action points to shooting at enemies that enter your line of sight, during their turn. If the enemy takes a path towards you that avoids your line of sight, they can attack safely without interruption. While it was overall a fun game, it did skew the game balance vastly in favour of the defender because it was easy to ensure a stealthy approach was impossible.

xcom did the same thing. Reaction fire isn't a new mechanic.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Thuryl posted:

They did answer that one; they're based in Japan, and Kickstarter doesn't let you set up an account from there yet.

oh, well fair enough.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

if all of their backers just upped their pledge by $10,000 they'd be almost there!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Golden Goat posted:

Should we take bets on if they hit 1% by the end of the campaign?

they will hit $802 by the end of the campaign at this rate

oh hey OP, two stickied threads! Congrats, I think it means the mo-mos appreciate what you're doing here even if most of us ingrates don't seem to.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

boy are my arms tired posted:

Mods, after some discussion with hyperdevbox via PMs, they want to change the thread title back to "Thermidor - Juicy Screenies" but are too shy to request it themselves, them being new and all. Could one of you please assist? Thank you in advance

the screenies have to be juicier this time. They were dry and mealy before

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

oh my god that sequence and the music are just trash

off with its head

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Golden Goat posted:

Oh my god their new video looks actually fun and cool and good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD_JdVkIoTk

now that's what I call a juicy screenie!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

The devs don't like the G-word, friendo

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

second life still exists ? huh

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

That'd be worth a whole heap of lindens!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

they're up to $1002 now, so they're doing something right

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

on target for nearly 0.5%, gj

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

lalaland posted:

I think they are going to cancel the campaign by the end of this week and re-emerge a couple of months later with the fully fleshed out tavern scene that we've all been waiting for

i would probably play a tavern simulator set during the french revolution but only if it included a guillotine

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

OneTwentySix posted:

Say what you will against The Demon Rush, at least the guy had his game 100% completed and fully playable before he came asking for money. That took an tremendous amount of effort and he spent a lot of money in the process, but he got it done. Of course, the problem was that what he produced was so terrible that people still remember the names of the characters almost nine years later (say it with me - Cherry Venus! Brooks Cracktackle!), but that's another issue altogether.

Also, holy poo poo, the guy has produced several other games since then - have there been any threads about those that I missed?

http://www.dragoon.ca/games.html

Given that their IGG campaign meant putting work on the actual game on hold for four months, I can't imagine the other members are any better at this kind of thing than Ron is.

Brooks Cracktackle is a fantastic name. just say it

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hyperdevbox posted:

1) Who said we weren't spending money on advertising? And as mentioned a few times already, KS doesn't accept Japanese accounts, so we went with Indiegogo.

i assumed because your campaign hasn't attracted any support or word of mouth and when I search google for thermidor all I get is recipes for lobster which a) makes me hungry and b) makes me think you picked a stupid name for your terrible game.

whoever you paid to market this should give you a refund.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Kelp Me! posted:

welcome to the ignore list, friend

i take it back, i don't get hungry when i look up lobster recipes

please don't ignore my valuable input on this exciting project that will definitely get made

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hyperdevbox posted:

We've been working on an animated intro for Thermidor, which shows the events preceding the start of the game.
It is still a draft, but check it out, and let me know your thoughts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgjS532bsJE

do you read your own thread? we've been talking about whatever this is supposed to be since you posted it on your failing IGG campaign.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hyperdevbox posted:

There is a reason it's called a "Private Message", so it is not to be shared publicly.
But you had to go and do that... with a screenshot and all! :doh:
The reason I sent you a link to one of my band's tracks is because you said it was lovely (I'm presuming before even listening to it), so I thought that maybe after you gave it a listen you might change your mind.
But now you've ruined all of that, so never mind.

lol we don't go to the attic you call a games studio and copy/paste the unity assets into your games so don't come to our forums and tell us how we can use our private messaging system, thanks

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

no don't

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hyperdevbox posted:

At the beginning of the game, the police (to be accurate, the king's Swiss guards) show up to investigate the disappearance of Armandine, and ask to search the tavern. But Leandre asks them to wait until his father comes back so they could talk to him instead.
Thus, the first "battle", which is also a kind of tutorial stage for the game, would be Leandre trying to buy time until his father comes back. And since this is a Tactical JRPG, it means there will be some sort of battle.

lol at a tavern boy fighting a squad of swiss guard for a tutorial

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i'm the plague doctor still in costume 70 years after the last plague

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Mister Adequate posted:

So let me get this straight.

1) They go to the tavern in the morning because of some unrelated matter. Something severe enough that eight Swiss Guardsmen are there.
2) Little Shitbag bails and they chase him through the streets of Paris.
3) Then he's seen with this noble chick who has gone missing.
4) Then he is Prime Suspect #1 and the Swiss Guards - who as noted are private mercs for the King and don't give a gently caress - go to the tavern again.

So from this we can tell that;
A) It doesn't make any drat sense that you could stall for Leonce (who literally eats poo poo, incidentally) at all because Leandre is the one they want. He is right there. There is nothing to stall towards. The guards grab him and take him to some dank prison where he is tortured for information then dies in the oubliette. If he tries to resist they just threaten to kill his family.
B) This little fucker is known to the authorities by sight. The fact that he's not already been loving murdered by them presumably means he actually already is nobility or something.
C) Even those being true, the Swiss Guards having to show up to the same loving place for the same loving little poo poo twice in one day kind of suggests their patience will be at an end and any resistance is hugely dangerous, as in, 'murder his dad and his dog, rape his mother in front of him, then make him eat his own eyes' dangerous.

I know you want your cute little Aladdin homage but quite aside from the fact that it makes this well-off kid* look like a prick for stealing an apple from a common street vendor, you're acting like one of the most brutal and important events in modern history was a merry jape where young ruffians could get away with anything and nobody got guillotined. No. The fuckers would be murdered on the spot for giving the SGs grief.

*As has been noted, well off enough that someone can drop a whole meal of food and the family just finds it funny, which is especially damning given that one of the contributing causes of the French Revolution was years of bad harvests leading to food shortages. His family aren't revolutionaries, they're the loving wealthy who are being revolted against! The lot of them would get guillotined! Then again with your grasp of history you probably believe it was all settled peacefully when Mme. Armandine gave a passionate speech about the natural order of nobility over commoners, implored the peasantry in the name of God to return to their homes, and so brought peace and absolute monarchy back to France.

(PS someone who is free of sin please quote this so MegaAssemblerCarton's Ronald can see it)

I think this is what cultural appropriation feels like

e: wrong word

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 11, 2017

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Palpek posted:

approved-for-kids Thermidor 3 set in Ukraine juuuust before Holodomor.

during the holodomor the plucky kulak protagonist swipes the last apple off an apple vendor's stall and runs off laughing while the starving vendor hobbles pitifully after him, collapsing in the street from hunger. somewhere a small child cries, its stomach empty.

the tutorial is a platoon of NKVD smashing in the front door of your dilapidated hut to arrest you for political crimes and you have to delay them by fighting them off with a wooden spoon until your father gets home and single-handedly chases them off

E: the opening soundtrack is something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMJ7Kg6ofK0

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 11, 2017

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

yes i know the holodomor slightly predates the formation of the NKVD but i'm only taking the same kind of license as the creators of jrpg classic, thermidor

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Sdoots posted:

Let's roleplay. I'm a huge piece of poo poo. I love anime and have never heard of Holodomor before. I spend my free time looking at pictures of guillotines and anime babes with dongs.

Sell me on Holodomor, the JRPG.

I don't think you can. I think Thermidor has the market cornered. I don't really have an arguement as to why it does, it just does.

if i can't sell you with a bare explanation of the plot, a description of the opening tavern tutorial and a sample of the OST then I don't even know what to tell you. you've earned a spot on my ignore list.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hyperdevbox posted:

Observing such successful campaigns like Pathologic and Darkest Dungeon, amongst others, is definitely something we can learn from, and to be honest a bit reassuring. Let me tell you why. Very similarly to these game developers, HyperDevbox too has a large following and fans that have stuck with us throughout the years, and are always excited to hear about any new games from our studio, which means that potentially we should've had a good start to the campaign.

oh gently caress off, you don't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Pathologic let alone claim to have anything in common with it. I'm glad your large following could part with $1200 though.

hyperdevbox posted:

Is it wrong that I'm imagining you as the girl in your avatar?

lol :fuckoff:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

crap now i'm jonesing for the pathologic remake, thanks thread

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

nearly busting through that 0.5% mark, go team hyperdevbox

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

this loving sucks, sorry OP

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i still want to eat lobster and play pathologic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Romes128 posted:

is this stickied so we can see it fail in real time?

it's stickied so we don't miss out on those juicy screenies they promised

• Locked thread