Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
On a personal note to Ron/not Ron: I can understand a level of anxiety when people are leveling even legitimate criticism over something you've poured many hours into. But, by putting yourself and your company out there and asking the populace for funding (which includes everyone in this thread), you have also opened yourself up to questions, criticism and complaint. This isn't something you can avoid, but the way you handle it says volumes about you, which in turn reflects upon your company as you are their PR person.

In your case, for every question you answered legitimately there were tons more questions you replied to with snark, defensive posturing and outright unprofessional conduct; what that says to me is that you, personally, cannot be trusted to handle investments. As an appointed public relations official by your own company, this in turn means that your company cannot be trusted to handle investments.

Perhaps the most short-sighted thing here is that, seeing as the internet is an archive, no matter where you go to advertise (or in this case pander) your conduct here will be brought up every single time. Let's say you get lucky, and a games media outfit shows interest in putting out an article about your game. The first thing they are going to do is look into you and your company. A quick Google search of "Thermidor Game" will bring up this thread, and with it, many more questions that are far more pointed than anything seen here will be asked. How will you handle that?

tl;dr
Everything about your sales pitch, from your Indegogo webpage (which is busy and screams "amateur art project") to your reactions and conduct on this forum not only make me unwilling to invest, but should I hear others talking about this project at a later date, this thread will be the first thing I'll recall about this game and your company. Make me and everyone else in this thread give one drat about this game of yours, and do it in a manner that isn't pretentious or simply posting a link to a crowdfunding page. Why should you do this? Because, apparently, it's your drat job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

Will there be multiple endings to this game? I imagine the bad end will have the main character dragged to the guillotine by a mob of angry peasants.

My favorite ending is when Ron shows up and saves the day, all mary sue style then puts the evil people who look an awful lot like everyone on his ignore list into the guillotine.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

hyperdevbox posted:

That guy was fired.

Was he?

hyperdevbox posted:

My full name is Ron,

Oh, no, he was not because he's still you. Do your company a favor and remove yourself from being a PR liaison. You are terrible at it. Oh, and good job not addressing anything I brought up about your conduct, your company or the damage that you, personally, have done to its reputation.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I like how game made by one person basically to spite someone else is more functional and better developed than a game with a whole team of designers.

As a demo, Fructidor does a fine job of presenting a concept and showing off potential. Should kukrunkarmaskin want to further develop the game, I have no doubt that they could tweak the gameplay mechanics, squash any programming bugs, develop the graphics and successfully market a finished product. I say that I do not have these doubts because, unlike Thermidor, this game has an actual, playable sample that showcases what the core of the game is about, rather than a bucket of generic anime art and promises.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

It's not your thread anymore PossibleRon.

Schrodinger's Ron
A thought experiment proposed by members of the SomethingAwful community, in which the following theoretical situation is presented: "Let's say you place a Public Relations team inside a HyperDevBox, and that it was sealed away along with a single computer with access to the internet. Is that PR team Ron? Surely, it must be since this has been proven [1]. Alternately, is the PR team Not Ron? Surely, it must be since this has been proven. [2]"

This thought experiment, confusing as it is, puts forth an uncommon idea in that, inside HyperDevBox, Ron both is and is not the PR team. This thought experiment is beloved by game theorists with its relation towards Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, which (in the most simplistic terms) asks the question "was Thermidor a game that would see the light of day?" While leading researchers [3] have pointed towards trending evidence to indicate that it would not be completed, others point to a mysterious, indefinite "time dilation" effect [4] surrounding the game.

So how does this uncertainty apply to Schrodinger's Ron? In essence, the same functions apply; much like the fate of the maligned and historically inaccurate Thermidor, the state of Ron/Not Ron is impossible to prove, thus leading to a philosophical and logical paradox. Popular consensus for those that research Game Theory lean heavily towards the "Ron is a joke" solution, [5] and while no evidence has been put forth to contradict this conclusion--like most modern theories--it has been difficult to verify with 100% accuracy.

[1]:

hyperdevbox posted:

Ron, HDX Japan

[2]:

hyperdevbox posted:

That guy was fired.
Until we hire any PR guy or gal, I will try and do my best.

[3]:

JosephWongKS posted:

Documenting the downfall in real time (thank you for doing this, by the way!)

[4]:

JosephWongKS posted:

It hasn't failed yet - Hyperdevbox still has 12 days 1 month to hit the target.
[Can HDB simply reset the time limit indefinitely, or is there a limit on the number of times they can reset?]

[5]:
Multiple sources, including successful crowdfunder Saint Isaias Boner, successful indie games developer kukrunkarmaskin and noted moron Sole.Sushi. You're a joke, Ron. Sorry you had to find out this way and not due to being fired for gross incompetence.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

This game really does a great job of capturing the desperation of the times. It's always surprising to me that outside of Paradox games, the question "What if France survived into the Modern Age?" is not up there alongside "What if the Confederacy won?" or "What if Byzantium never fell?". Fructidor drives home just how tense and close things were - indeed, one could say matters balanced on a guillotine edge.

The peasants come without end, seeking food, and no matter how hard I work some are not satisfied. We worked hard to make as many cakes as we could for them, guillotining with a ferocity that would make HyperDevBox's own Rob proud, and there were times when we were sincerely too scared to rotate the camera and see how many more rouge-culottes were making their inexorable way toward us.

We did bravely. But on Wave 25, we fell to the forces of the people.

Scholars still debate exactly what the phrase 'bonne moisson' meant. The most common notion, and one other linguistic work supports to an extent, is that it means something like 'good amount' (by extension implying a tree bearing unusually high quantities of fruit), but in the context of the events of 9 Fructidor, 1789, the argument that it means 'good speed' or '[guillotine] with haste' can be made as well. Hopefully future archeological works might find a rosetta stone of sorts, that we can gain insight into the fascinating French language, and gain more insight into the day-to-day lives of the guillotine designers, guillotine manufacturers, and guillotine operators who made up a plurality of France's working classes during the Revolutionary period.

As a work the game is admittedly limited in scope, but it never proclaimed any objective beyond that which it achieves almost flawlessly. And by shining a light on the extraordinary events of the Fructidorian Reaction, perhaps this unjustly overlooked period of French history will gain more interest in modern pop culture. I rate this guillotine as raised to a height of 13 feet out of a possible 14.

I am enjoying how this trainwreck of a video game (Thermidor) is turning into a mock analysis.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I just came in after the title change and thought that good game from the game jam had its own thread.

This is accurate, all things considered.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

raditts posted:

This is just barely 1/2%, rounding up to 1 is awfully generous.

Well Ron, you sure showed us; you've reached 1(ish) percent of your total goal. Truly, we "trolls" and "haters" have been vanquished.

Now that you have the high ground, any chance you'd deign to answer any of the questions I asked you? Or will you continue to lie and deflect like a poor man's Reagan?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Because I think that the talent behind Fructidor deserves to know that some no-talent rear end-hat named Ron has created a shameless rip-off and is trying to cash in on people's ignorance. We can't have honest Goons being tricked into investing in a shameless cash-grab when Fructidor is 100% free.

EDIT: Hey Ron, just thought I'd let you know: the Chinese word for "dragon" is "long" or "lung", not "ron." While Japanese has distinct difficulty in pronouncing "L" as "R" due to the evolution of their language, Chinese doesn't you racist gently caress. While I'm at it, "ron" is one translation of the word "theory" from Japanese, but is more often translated as "argument, debate" or "controversy."

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 20, 2017

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Kelp Me! posted:

what the christ are you even talking about here

hyperdevbox posted:

My full name is Ron, which means "dragon" in chinese, "cheerful song" in Hebrew, and "theory" in Japanese.
Quite happy with that.

Admittedly, my edit did come from out of nowhere.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

On blow and a short length of macrame, I suspect.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Not even rebellious peasants deserve such a fate.

I strongly disagree with your opinions on apples.

On the topic of green fruits: limes, pears and (because France) green grapes are lovely options.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

nerdz posted:

It's just like buskers always drop a few dollars on their hats before starting their performances.

Except buskers can demonstrate that they can provide entertainment. :haw:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

That is an accurate statement. I should have been more clear: buskers can earn money by providing entertainment, whereas HyperDevBox seemingly cannot.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I wonder how many people are referring this game and saying "DO NOT INVEST IN THIS HOT GARBAGE."

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Palpek posted:

I think a mistake was made because apparently the OP closed this thread but I'm sure it was just an accident as the crowdfunding campaign is still going strong. I'm opening it again for further discussion.

Oh, Ron: can't answer legitimate criticisms and questions, close the thread when people realize you're so far up your rear end that you can't hear us anyways. That's two for two now!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Lonos Oboe posted:

And I know that I am the pot calling the kettle #000000 But it does strike me as a little disrespectful to be shilling a game with it's appeal based heavily on it's art style without buying yourself a sexy avatar showing off some of the games character or art.

The problem with that is that the art is "okay." It's not horrible, and just by looking at some of the characters I can instantly identify them as being both French and from the time of the French Revolution. Having said that, it's not good by any stretch: the designs are boring and uninspired. They are technically sufficient, but nothing about any of the characters identifies anything about their personality or their motives.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Though I'm sure, somewhere, Ron is impotently sobbing "I'll show them..!" and shamefully jerking off to the Thermidor smut he's written, odds are they aren't going to follow legal action. They apparently can't even afford a PR representative: the chances of them hiring a lawyer are slim.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

Average amount of new funds per day required to meet target - $12,559.63

Every time this number gets bigger I become more powerful.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

4 February 2017 - $1337 USD raised by 32 backers / 0.56% of $240,000 fixed goal (Yup, the amount raised dropped. Seems like a donor withdraw a donation)

Hahahahaha

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I hope the guy that withdrew their donation works at HyperDevBox.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Wait a moment...
Did... Did I get Ron to admit to account sharing and subsequently get him banned???

If so: GET hosed, RON. :thermidor:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I hope destroying any chance of this game seeing the light of day and (potentially) irreparably damaging your company's credibility was worth the $20 you paid for it, Ron!

EDIT: on a curious note, why the hell did Ron get plat? So he could message mods to bitch? Or did he think this crap was gonna take off so much he needed a PM account to not overload his glorious thread?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I'd rather my doctor refer me to an oncologist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I like that their Twitter account follows two people, one of which is Ron and his lovely band.

• Locked thread