Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Don't despair guys, at least there's one game being made set in the French Revolution and actually featuring guillotines.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802279&pagenumber=4#post468059497

OP you should come work for me instead. I think my indiegogo will reach at least 850, possibly even 900 dollars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

As the OP seems to be absent again, this is now the Fructidor: Juicy Fruities OFFICIAL RELEASE THREAD!

You can play the game here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tiyod8lil0bm81a/Fructidor.zip?dl=0

The game has 25 waves, after which you will learn a SECRET PASSWORD! The first 3 people to PM me said password will get any game of their choice below €10 on steam.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

Holy poo poo my own video game thread, stickied at the top. It's a dream come true!

Good Dumplings posted:

Geez, this game is hard. The meter seems to go down less if you guillotine the guys jumping on the conveyor belt :stare:
Yeah, the meter decreases as long as there are guys on the belt, I had some mechanics in place that made more sense but had to cut them due to time constraints.

DropsySufferer posted:

Much like Thermidor, Fructidor isn't working for me. I'm getting message failed to open descriptor file .../.../.../Fruidor.upproject' :smith:
Hm, that's weird! Maybe try running the .exe file in Engine\Binaries\Win32 instead?

boy are my arms tired posted:

so uh can i count this

im on wave 25 and this guy wont respond to fruits or bombs, he just stands there

still a better game than thermidor

Oh no :( AI Programming is hard. The game is supposed to end when the last guy disappears, but when he doesn't... yeah.
I'll count this as a win, well played! PM me your e-mail address and what game you want :)
Edit: I bet your arms got tired shoveling all that fruit!

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

Thanks everyone, really appreciating the response ITT. At the start I was mostly doing it for comedy/spite, but then the actual game turned out pretty well!

Reminder that there are still two Fabulous Prizes (Steam game of your choice under €10) up for grabs for anyone who PMs me the SECRET PASSWORD revealed during the ending cutscene, alternately a screenshot of the game stuck with one peasant left.

Also, I'm actually entertaining the thought of further working this into an real game and selling it. My current job involves developing stuff in Unreal Engine so I'm comfortable with that side of things, but I've never done a game before so I'm not super knowledgeable on how I would get to a finished product what with the sales and marketing and kickstarting and all.

So please tell me why this is a horrible idea and how it will make me regret the day I was born. That, or how to improve the game to make it viable.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

nerdz posted:

Which kind of job uses unreal engine and it's not game development?

Lots of jobs! My background is in civil engineering, but I've gradually moved from steel and concrete design to what's pretty much video game development over a few years. I kind of went: Learning 3D CAD modeling while designing -> Learning how to set up CAD software while 3D modeling -> Learning how to program while setting up CAD software -> Developing CAD add-in software -> VIDEO GAEM. We first started using UE4 about 2 years back for visualizing infrastructure projects, right now we're working on a 1000 km² model of a high speed railway which is turning out pretty drat well.

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

The game is already great but this makes it amazing :stare:

Also a++ username min gubbe

Tack kompis! I have been involved in a couple of Awful Jams earlier though but I've only done music, which was the only thing I didn't have time for with Fructidor.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

boy are my arms tired posted:

the ai is programmed to home in on cakes regardless of distance (i think) so spreading them out can buy you some time

Confirming this. The Peasants are really REALLY hungry, and a mere whiff of cake sends them scrambling.

Strategywise the key is to make a lot of cakes! To do this you need to slice a lot of the right kind of fruit quickly. Which you most likely will need powerups for! To beat wave 25 you will need to get most of the stat boost cubes that spawn during the game, especially the blue ones that boost your powerup spawn rate. When you have the Vitesse! and Bonne moission! powerups stacked cakemaking will be very rapid.

Also you are still the only one to have "beaten" the game, so there are still 2 prizes to claim! I've gotten to the end and confirmed that it usually gets stuck before the lovingly crafted ending cutscene.

The response to Fructidor in the actual game jam thread has been lukewarm to say the least. It could be that it's only a good game when compared to Thermidor. I still think the idea has potential though, and will definitely keep working on it a while longer. They played it on the jam stream but didn't quite get that you could throw fruit and cakes out on the map, which is kind of key to success. This is of course entirely my fault as the game should explain this properly in some way.

I think the game is perfect for a single player campaign with a bunch of different maps (Bastille, Versailles...) but I'll do a first round of polishing and fixing what's already there and making it more fun before I add anything major. I'm thinking a general tightening up of the controls and speeding up of the gameplay. So:

Here is v 1.0 of the FRUIT (FRUctidor Improvement Table)

Controls:
-Switch from mouse to gamepad controls (or make it an option). Left stick to move the guillotine, right stick to rotate the blade. Right trigger to slice fruit, Left trigger to throw fruit. Pressing harder/longer on the trigger increases the throwing power.

Camera:
-Remove the wobbly circular track camera
-Instead Two camera modes to switch between. 1: Fixed camera at an isometric angle for slicing fruit. 2: Catapult-style camera for throwing things. Will need to test this out to find something good.

Slicing:
-Speed up the guillotine a bit at the start, right now it feels like you need powerups to control well, which might not be a good design decision.

Throwing:
-Make it easiser to control how hard you throw and to make accurate throws. It's a bit too unpredictable now. You should be able to pinpoint throw a bomb to the head of a peasant half the map away if you're good, which you currently can't.
-Make the throwing mechanism visible and sort of logical. I'm thinking like a big spoon-catapult-like thing that rotates and scoops away fruit
-Throwing gizmo, like the slicer gizmo, to give you some sort of reference to what's going on.

Cake Making:
-More direct feedback on if you slice the right kind of fruit or not. Right now you have to wait until the sliced fruit reaches the end of the belt, which can take a while, before you know you hosed up.
-Fruit should fall directly through the conveyor belt when sliced and into some kind of secondary chute that leads to the cake. This should improve visual clarity greatly.
-Add a button for opening a hole in the cake chute, before the fruit reaches the cake. This will give you the option of clearing a portion of the chute and avoid the wrong kind of fruit getting on your cake.

Fruit:
-Add a few more fruits. Not too many at this point but something green would be nice. The four kinds in the game were all the not-godawful models I could find by googling "FREE APPLE 3D MODEL DOWNLOAD".

Bugs/General:
-Fix wave 25 bug and make the game finishable.
-Game tries to start in VR headset, oops. (Comedy option: add VR support)
-Improve physics and AI performance (I had to cut back on the number of on-screen fruit because of this. I'd ideally like the game to be a clusterfuck of fruit, cake and peasants everywhere)

I hope I can iterate this into something a bit more snappy and easy to pick up. I'll also try to get some help with sound, music and art.

Progress will probably not be super fast since I have a lot of non-Fructidor-related things going on at the moment, but I'll keep you posted and hopefully you can eventually get at least one finished game out of this thread!

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

Ron you should come post here again, I would love to hear your thoughts on Fructidor - A playable game set in the French Revolution.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

:pranke: FRUCTIDOR UPDATE :pranke:

So. I thought me and my band were finally recording the album we've been working on for 2 years. We had the studio booked for next month and all. But, as it turns out, I won't be doing that due to the band going belly up all of a sudden. :smith:

However, this gives me some time to work on the Future in Guillotine Simulation!

For your enjoyment, here is an updated version of Fructidor: Juicy Fruities: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aag12gkxn6gb84b/Fructidor_v001.zip?dl=0

Changelog Version 0.0.1

-Goodbye mouse controls, hello gamepad controls! (Tested with Xbox One controller)
-Left Thumbstick moves guillotine
-Right Thumbstick rotates
-Left Trigger throws stuff, hold down longer to increase throw power (Sort of functional)
-Right Trigger Slices fruit!
-"A" button changes camera

-Goodbye weird floaty camera, hello fixed camera angles x2! One for slicing, and one for throwing. But it's up to you which one you use!

-Moved Kitchen
-Sliced Fruit now goes sideways and down into a separate chute.
-Added Cake Elevator

-Upped effectiveness of bombs
-New blood and gore effects

-Made the recipe widget wider, allowing you to see the hilarious french cake names.
-Maybe fixed wave 25 bug, possibly allowing you to see the ending cutscene and maybe even learn the SECRET PASSWORD :iiam:

Enjoy! Oh, and FYI, there's still one more FABULOUS PRIZE left to claim for anyone that finishes wave 25. The game should be somewhat easier this time around.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

theshim posted:

I got two guys stuck on wave 25 a few days ago, does that qualify?

Well sure! Just PM me your e-mail adress and what Steam game below €10 you want. I hereby declare this competition finished!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

:pranke: FRUCTIDOR UPDATE :pranke:

So. I thought me and my band were finally recording the album we've been working on for 2 years. We had the studio booked for next month and all. But, as it turns out, I won't be doing that due to the band going belly up all of a sudden. :smith:

However, this gives me some time to work on the Future in Guillotine Simulation!

For your enjoyment, here is an updated version of Fructidor: Juicy Fruities: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aag12gkxn6gb84b/Fructidor_v001.zip?dl=0

Changelog Version 0.0.1

-Goodbye mouse controls, hello gamepad controls! (Tested with Xbox One controller)
-Left Thumbstick moves guillotine
-Right Thumbstick rotates
-Left Trigger throws stuff, hold down longer to increase throw power (Sort of functional)
-Right Trigger Slices fruit!
-"A" button changes camera

-Goodbye weird floaty camera, hello fixed camera angles x2! One for slicing, and one for throwing. But it's up to you which one you use!

-Moved Kitchen
-Sliced Fruit now goes sideways and down into a separate chute.
-Added Cake Elevator

-Upped effectiveness of bombs
-New blood and gore effects

-Made the recipe widget wider, allowing you to see the hilarious french cake names.
-Maybe fixed wave 25 bug, possibly allowing you to see the ending cutscene and maybe even learn the SECRET PASSWORD :iiam:

Enjoy! Oh, and FYI, there's still one more FABULOUS PRIZE left to claim for anyone that finishes wave 25. The game should be somewhat easier this time around.

Quotin' this again because i dunno if anyone saw this. IMO the game is much better with these changes. I'd love to finish it, would be hilarious to get it on Steam and gift a copy to Ron as a consolation prize.

Maybe I should have done this right away, but I recorded some gameplay showing the upgraded bombs among other things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwNScvWUlmE
I'm working on fixing the GUI now so it's more clear what you actually need to slice. Should have next weekend free to finish that up.

That said though, I think I will need some advice/feedback/enthusiasm from you guys to not get distracted and to actually go through with it! We could succeed where Zybourne Clock failed!

There are a few different directions the game could go from here and to be honest I'm not really sure where to take it now. I'll do a post on my thoughts a bit later, but I'd like to hear from you first.

So here's one question to start off:

-What is the game missing in order to see yourself paying $5 or whatever for it on Steam? (no purchase required)

• Locked thread