Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Casnorf posted:

I can tell you that I literally teared up when I first loaded up Metroid Prime in what like 2001. The menu music still gets me, to this day. That game is truly a masterpiece. Highly recommended.

Metroid Prime really changed what games could be to me. I remember that haunting original e3 teaser, seeing the previews, and actually playing this amazingly well crafted atmospheric game in 3D and it was so immersive. From the raindrops on your helmet, to getting the different visors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It was so good that they made three of them and decided not to bother for another 15 years

It's also a series (talking about just Prime as its own subseries of metroid) that has never been as good as the first and has declined in quality. Seriously 2 and 3 has their own issues that cause it to not live up to as amazing as MP1 was to us.

I'll still get MP4 though because there's virtually no game series that does this fps adventure/exploring/metroidvania style.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Right, mp2 and mp3 aren't bad games. They just don't compare to the first. Very often people go MP1>MP2>MP3. Even if they only like MP1 5% more than MP2.

Here's hoping MP4 can buck that trend.

And we need that MP trilogy remaster (for switch) that keeps getting rumored.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

No kidding. Huh, I think 2020 might actually work out to a six-day average.

6 hours, 6 days, 6 mods.

Ps4 thread is clearly the mark of the beast.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I started persona 5 Royale last night and I'm already like ten hours in and very impressed.
I thought this was basically P5 with an extra 20 hours of content at the end but there is a ton of quality of life improvements like better hints on now to talk to demons, more stuff to do in mementos, the thieves den and more.

Even if you've played P5, if you're up for playing it again, Royal is the way to go. It's basically better in every way possible and the only slight against it that was when it originally came out it was a full $60 game with no upgrades for current P5 owners. It's been like three years since I did P5 and I'm still enjoying it all ovet again.

Well worth the $30 or less price if you get it on sale.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Reminder that the Scott pilgrim game is back on ps4 tomorrow, will be $15.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

And the movement is completely different

If the lack of faux retro graphics is a problem though, the good news is that Inti Creates made two very good Bloodstained games in that style that show a lot of love for CV3 in particular.

Yes bloodstained curse of the moon 1/2 are very awesome and worth playing for anyone that enjoys retro style games.

Curse of the moon 2 is almost on the level of Shovel Knight.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Did you guys forget one of the grand daddy's of the one dev scene?

Cave story.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

haveblue posted:

------8<---------- EXITING DUMB DRAMA ZONE

Just finished The Turing Test, because someone posted favorably about it a few days ago. Really good and creative. The mainline puzzles were a little easy, but some of the optional rooms had me stuck for a while. A cool sci fi setup and execution.

----->8--------- RETURNING TO DUMB DRAMA ZONE

Nothing wrong with the Turing Test. I just think the scifi story is more interesting in The Talos Principle.

And Talos has more puzzles and a lot of them are generally better.

Still Turing isn't too bad, it's a nice small game that'll take part/all of a weekend while Talos may take more like a week or more.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Hey buddies got a good idea, how about you drop all the prior conversations that may or may not have occurred and talk about games.

What's everyone playing this weekend?

I'm finishing up Persona 5 Royal (in the last new palace) and I think I'll start one of these next: DBZ Kakarot, SW Jedi Fallen Order or maybe even Cyber Shadow.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

From the last page, re: collectable items in games for trophies/stats.

Collectibles only work if they're interesting to get. The God of War ravens suck because they don't really offer you anything besides checking off a number. Spider-Man works because they just show you where they all ate and it gives you upgrade materials. But I agree, if they show it to you it's just busy work.

And having trophies tied to collectibles is stupid. They really need to make it where you just have to get a certain amount (like 80%) because it's when you need exactly 100% and not one less that makes it very tedious. Especially if there's no way to narrow it down by area.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

Realizing it's an xbox game, but I appreciated in Forza Horizon 4 that unlocking the achievement for driving on every road in the game was actually unlocked with 5 roads yet to go. The way you'd know if you drove a road is that it would go from grey to white, but if you drove 99% of the road it wouldn't give you the entire one so you'd have to search the map for that one little bit of grey that you had missed.

I remember doing this for forza 2 and yeah this is exactly my problem it makes you drive the entire length of the road so if you went off road you may miss a part.

And I just platinumed Jedi Fallen order a few days ago, and I loving hate that 100% the map trophy.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 5, 2021

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

these you tubers are tearing us apart!!!!!

what's everyone playing this weeknd

Super mario 3d world with the wife, when it's just me, I'm working on Nioh 2, little nightmares 2 and.... Alone in the Dark (PS3)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'll nominate silent hill 4 the room trailer.

It's a very effective creepy trailer for a horror game.

https://youtu.be/GW_is7yL6_U

I mean the quality of the game itself shouldn't affect the trailer.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

univbee posted:

Ubisoft does a transparent cloud saving thing, which is how that works.

The lack of cloud saving is always weird when you consider that indie games have been doing cross save since 2013ish.

Probably a part of this with the ps4 - PS5 games is due to Sony wanting a clean break on PS5 to where they can't share trophy lists or even look at ps4 data (and ps4 data could leave them open to vita/ps3 data as well through that)

I wonder if Sony has to certify the save server transfers.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Even if you have a PS5 it's mostly going through your backlog

Can confirm.

Since I got my ps5, I've played 12 ps5 games and 52 ps4 games

And three vita and one ps3 (Alone in the Dark)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Akuma posted:

The thing that I don't think anybody has mentioned yet is that games in Game Pass are also automatically discounted by 20% for you if you have Game Pass and want to buy them. If you played several games in a month and wanted to buy them it wouldn't take much for the Game Pass fee to pay for itself with those discounts.

Couple of caveats:

This does not stack with sales. You're almost always better of waiting for a sale that takes it 30% off or more.

The discount goes away as soon as the game comes off gamepass. So if you played it a few times, forget about it or drop it only to come back later AFTER it's off gamepass, no gp discount for you. But like I said above you're better off waiting for the actual sale.

Now game pass discount is great for one thing. Dlc and micro transaction items. Those don't get discounts as often.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah Coca-Cola ‘Classic’ isn’t a good strategy and hasn’t proven the test of time. You actually just never recoup lost customers most of the time.

There's an old business rule about 'acquiring new customers is way more expensive than keeping existing customers'

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m asking politely and respectfully, not as a snooty question but a genuine one:
Is the $40 you saved waiting for the game to go on sale worth the 2 years you spent not playing? Is there a breakpoint at which the time spent waiting for a thrifty purchase is offset by the waiting?

Maybe it’s an age thing, I dunno, when I was in my early 20s, working every night and going to class every day, $20-$40 was the difference between paying my light bill or not, so I just pirated everything because it was that or just... not play video games in college (lmao). My Buddy Kevin was like you, he played every major AAA video game... approximately 12 months after release for $20 on steam sale, but he also wasn’t online and games weren’t a social practice for him the way I think they are for me. It’s very likely I’d be more like you and Kevin if I weren’t on SA and didn’t want to experience *the discourse*

But now, in my 30s... $40 is like a couple hours at work, and a video game is potentially weeks of fun and relaxation and getting to talk to you guys about it and playing it together... I dunno, I personally don’t think waiting on a forever sale is worth missing out on all that... ESPECIALLY if the money has just been sitting in the bank the whole time doing nothing.

Again, a respectful question I am posing to a bro!

You can't afford to buy every game (that looks interesting to you) at full price. I know I'd run out of money quickly (my wishlist is at least 40 titles long)

So there's got to be some stuff you compromise on. Like say, Tony Hawk and Crash 4 look interesting to me but I'm waiting for those to hit $20.

And like you said, one game could entertain you for up to weeks. It's not like you can play two games at the same time so buy the one you want the most and grab the other on sale.

Meanwhile I'm playing Yakuza Like a Dragon which I've paid full price for, and I haven't finished the game yet but I've put in enough hours to equal the play time I would expect to get out of Crash 4 and Tony Hawk 1-2.

I do make plenty of money to spend on games, but in order to help pace myself, I aim for $100 spent per month on games.

My category for stuff that I'd buy day 1 is games I am super hyped for (resident evil village, any from software game as examples) or a multiplayer game I think I'd get into (star wars squadrons). For most other stuff I'd play at my own pace and it's still fun talking about Sly Cooper 1 on the vita or Alone in the Dark on ps3 here and in the discord.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

$400-500 every 8 years really isn't that absurd in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah I'm loving lolling here at spending $500 when that can last people a really loving long time

Hell I'm still using my ps3! I played two games on it this year.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

TIL that Ghost of Tsushima is the second most completed PS4 game. It has a 50.2% completion rate. The only PS4 game with a higher completion rate is Spider-Man (50.8%).

This is good news! A superb game that really deserves all the accolades it gets. I think completion rate, as a metric, is a function of Playability x Engagement. A game can have high playability but lack anything to keep you hooked, and a game can have an amazing and engrossing story or progression but be dogshit to play. Sushi Ghost ends perfectly balancing this line that nearly half the gamers (who bother syncing up their consoles to the cloud, I guess) saw Jin’s journey through to the end.

Given how long of a game that is, that's even better. I think God of War is also close to a 50% completion rate.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

FROM plats suck. Bloodborne was the only one I bothered with.

As someone with every FROM plat (including demons souls 4 times, and dark souls 1 and 2 twice): you can go to hell

Yeah no but seriously a good amount of them are tedious and definitely not recommended to do

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

only if the cmos or whatever its called battery dies, which should be replaceable. it should be replaceable on ps3 too but the drive will still work either way so its not too big an issue. you can still play your ps4 (and5) totally offline.

tho i ran into a weird issue with my ps5 being offline, if i boot up the ps5 and its offline, while having the ps4 disc of yakuza 7 while its ps5 upgraded version is installed, it will try and install the ps4 version. it wont do it if it boots online cos i guess its gotta talk to the server about it lol.

Yeah basically the cmos battery issue screws over all owners, either digital or physical. We're talking about a potential future where psn doesn't exist. If you replace the battery you still have to connect online once after to check to use discs. So if the battery dies it sounds like if you replace it and connect online it can verify your digital and disc stuff and you'll be fine.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm literally number 4 in the world on truetrophies for the soulsbourne series so I should probably get one of those gang tags.

https://www.truetrophies.com/series/Souls-Borne/leaderboard

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

the problem is that I'm a manchild and I want the trophies or else my brother will get ahead of me in my PSN Gamer Level

You buy and download it on the other account and switch to your main account and play it. As long as both accounts are primary on the same console it works fine.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

My theory is Sony (and Nintendo) won't start generating codes until the game (r type final 2) was officially released (which it did on Friday)

But now they probably have to wait until offices open again on Monday and then they can get the codes for the main game/dlcs out to backers.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Is there any word if RE8 will have DLC like RE7? If so to wait for the Gold edition or whatever.

The gold version doesn't mention any dlc so don't think so. There could be a free dlc/later paid expansion but it doesn't come with any version of re8 right now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Spring Break My Heart posted:

How does Guilty Gear Strive run on PS4? What am I losing with the PS4 version compared to the PS5?

I've heard the ps4 actually has better latency over the ps5 version but not sure if that got patched yet.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I played episode 1 racer last year and it was great. Graphics are fine as they are it's all about the nostalgia after all.

Is your studio going to be working on more retro projects like this?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Read After Burning posted:

I thought the PS4 port of Moon was out this week, but it's not until next week. :colbert:

I am mad about this! I have a four day weekend this weekend and it woulda been nice! Now I have to play other games like the idiot I am!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Read After Burning posted:

Right? I just wanna time-loop and be babbled at by a strange scarecrow dude! (Wait...there was a scarecrow in Majora's Mask... :tinfoil:)

Whatcha playing instead? This weekend I'll be playing more Darkside Detective, Psychonauts 2, and either Soul Calibur or Mortal Kombat (I've been letting my fighting game "muscles" slack and I feel like picking one of these back up).

Gonna be playing Guardians of the Galaxy mostly with some bayonetta (this is me trying to finish some unfinished ps3 games)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

acksplode posted:

There are reasons besides CPU architecture that could cause Sony to drop PS4 BC, like losing the controller touchpad or not wanting to bother with GPU compatibility. I wouldn't bet on continued PS4 BC only because we're talking about the distant future, but if I did, it would be because MS is running with BC as a competitive differentiator.

There's also the whole fact that digital purchases and having purchases tied to an account was sort of still a new concept for the ps3/360 Era. Now we know those are here to stay and they should be designing new console platforms with the idea of supporting their entire current marketplace and purchases (remember it wasn't too long that Sony wanted to shut down ps3/vita purchases and they actually succeeded in turning off the psp store).

Given the whole complex architecture the ps3 had I don't blame Sony for not supporting it with ps4 (and ps5) but I feel like there's too much 'history' with accounts and transactions and marketplaces that unless a game has the rights expire (see all the car or sports games) they will probably want to keep selling it and supporting it.

And like you said Microsoft pledged to it so as soon as Sony drops one generation, it's a big opening for Microsoft and I don't see them willingly letting MS have that.

I'm sure the (half hearted) support of the ps1 and psp classics with the new ps+ premium is to compete with that Microsoft can go back to the original Xbox games (though they only could get like... Under 50 and they said they won't be able to do any more)

I would say I feel 90% confident that ps4 and ps5 libraries go with us going forward.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm just glad that the ps5 is effectively better than the ps4 in every way.

There's only what, 4 games that won't run on a ps5 (plus technically a handful of demos and such, a good portion are vr ones)

Also the ps2 classics title mostly run badly on a ps5. I hope they solve that one day.

If the ps6 can't play ps4 or ps5 games I'll buy a spare ps5 in 2030 or something. The ps4/ps5 combined gen has so many good games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

dirby posted:

There's a list of games I would like to play that are all on the PS4, and figured it would be cheaper/further than the PS5's price than it is.

One game I'm really interested in is Tearway Unfolded which apparently may not be fully compatible with the PS5 because it uses a screen sharing app that PS5 doesn't have?

Most screen sharing apps are defunct, don't expect them to still be working in 2023.

The ps5 is also effectively future proof until 2030. It's only a few hundred more at worst and your games will be almost all higher fidelity and load faster then playing on a ps4 slim. Ps5 download speeds are far better than ps4 too.

The only reason I still play on a ps4 is because I kept my ps4 pro after getting the ps5 and my ps4 pro is set up in my office.

Pro level move is getting extra gaming time on work breaks

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Skyrim vr is separate so yes it's fresh.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

It's worth mentioning that functionally you can play any ps4 game (there's only a handful that don't or are worse) on a ps5 and if you use an external hard drive they can be swapped between consoles easily.

But the ssd that can go in a ps4 and ps5 are different form factors so it's not very future proof.

Unless you're thinking you'll only have a ps4 going forward with no upgrade to a ps5, think about a smaller ssd, keep your more frequent games on it (anything with lots of loading and play often) and keep indies on an external hdd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

For what it's worth let me share some of my experience.

I put a big ssd in my ps4 pro way back in 2016 and it actually died earlier this year so don't think SSDs are bulletproof and good for nearly a lifetime just because they don't have spinny parts that can be prone to failure.

But my ps4 still sees weekly use so 8 years of ongoing use is pretty good I think.

My ps4 got a new 1tb ssd (smaller than the one I had before) installed into it and still going strong. But yeah I basically download only a few games to it and delete/install as needed. My ps5 currently has roughly 7tb of storage across internal/internal second ssd/external hdd (I'd like to upgrade the external hdd to a 8tb one day, I think that can hold my entire ps4 collection including ps+ stuff)

This is also a far far off plan but if Sony was ever to announce a shutdown of their services, I think I would try to get a brand new in box of whatever console supports the most titles, buy a brand new ssd/whatever future storage medium is plus external storage, download everything I can get and hope I can make it 8+ years with that collection. But maybe that may never happen.