Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I was about to ask the hottest question in gaming right now -- is there no holiday theme this year like they've done in the past -- and then I couldn't remember, did they kill PS4 themes on the store entirely when they relaunched?

I like the one from a few years ago that's like a PS1-styled Christmas sweater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm drinking a Cyberpunk-branded "Samurai Cola" Rockstar energy drink and it is not very good. No bugs afaik though.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Am I crazy or does the PS Store no longer list prices?
Some bug or something that popped up recently. I've had it like failing to show the price/purchase button more often than not in Chrome since the relaunch, I think I had to use like Edge a few times to buy stuff.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

There's a misleading "Download now" button on the this month's PS+ games page on the web store but that just takes you to the game's page where you find that "Add to library" button. What a dogshit redesign.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Is there a bonafide AAA name big enough to get that license that you'd be unreservedly optimistic about, cause I can't really think of one. (I mean a few years ago if we're being generous on big enough plenty of us might've said CDPR so lol)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Geo Fixer posted:

Being a fan of the office is a core gen-z cultural trait.
I am still amazed at the amount of teens I see walking around in tees that say Dunder-Mifflin or Friends

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

But my next set of games I want to play (Death Stranding, TLOU1/2) don't require it.
Death Stranding -- if I'm correct that its online functionality requires PS+ as I think -- doesn't have traditional multiplayer but does involve indirect online interactions that are both rewarding and completely essential to the game's themes.

e: vvv Awesome!

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 17, 2021

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm back at FF7R tonight, just finished Ch. 15 so I'm not far off but have a habit of picking it up for an hour or two and setting it back down for a week plus. Love it, just on/off again with games by nature. Trying to work through my backlog of finishable games at least over the course of this year to have at least most squared away by the time I want a PS5. Just the name-brand AAA stuff includes RD2 (about halfway), Death Stranding (about halfway), Control (haven't started), Kiwami 1 (beat 0, haven't started this) and in VR: SW Squadrons (finished the tutorial), RE7 (haven't started), Astro-Bot (beaten but really want to play more, if not 100%). Disco Elysium is the only upcoming thing I know for sure I'll be buying on this gen, likely TLOU2 -- I believe everyone that it's great but I just don't feel super compelled toward it yet with all that already on my plate. 2077's probably waiting for a PS5.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Conversation made me think of that Lara Croft and the Guardian? of something from way back before the new series got rebooted. It was kinda isometric IIRC and pretty good, wasn't it?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TheCenturion posted:

How long does Persona 5 take to give you a sense of how the game plays?
The basic rhythm of long doses of story, semi-interactive social life and dungeon crawling are more or less revealed in the first chapter but it continues to introduce new mechanics and characters for pretty much the entire game.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

what is my peeps up to? how is everyone feeling?

sincerely,

- Beanpole "i have not yet been owned today" Peckerwood
Got vaccinated, probably gonna game, good day

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Don't worry -- Playstation Video IS STILL UP

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

drat cloudflare seems hosed right now
Was wondering if that was related but PSN came back maybe an hour ago

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

it's true, yharnam is boss bitch and zelda just a halfwit teenybopper with bad hair
I heard they're making a zelda movie and it's gonna star.... freaking justin beiber!!!! :flame:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It's great DLC and got me super hyped for the sequel, shows a ton of lessons correctly learned.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Don Draper flips to the next poster revealing the new branding, "2001 Home Furniture" and "BBC Video"

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Buy a year of PS+, get $15 credit through March 23, no idea if this is US only or what. e: poo poo, "non-active" subscribers only in the fine print... but it still came to my email like I was eligible so idk? Anyone with an active subscription wanna test?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Finally finished FF7R to clear up time/hard drive space for Disco Elysium and I genuinely did not get the guarding aspect of how Cloud's Punisher mode worked until the vey final fights. I'm bad at games!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Why can’t I buy Disco Elysium on PSN still :(
I went looking into this today and all I saw is that it's not getting a pre-load, it just goes up on the store when it's live.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

hashtag Sekiro trademark Shadows Die Twice

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Didn't know Disco Elysium would be on sale at launch, that was a nice surprise. Is whichever version of the dialog is the default the one people would recommend to a new player?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ooh yeah all the posts about it make it sound super interesting until I remembered I am scared of the ocean

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

When are the crashes happening? I'm a few real hours in (no idea really) starting Day 2 with zero problems. Usually don't go too long actually in a single game without closing to do something else and I guess I've actually been rebooting a lot recently for other reasons so maybe that's my secret or maybe I just haven't gotten far enough in to see the problems.

Load times could be better though.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

After a brief conversation like a week ago when people were talking about the scary stuff in Subnautica I lost it when I saw this
https://twitter.com/metaltxt/status/1384266465486852098
Maybe they're right!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My original model PS4 was damaged by a lightning strike. Still powers on and responds to controller input but no audio or video comes out of the HDMI port. With headphones plugged in to the controller I can hear the menu audio after pressing X to log in, so it's still running. The TV, its HDMI input and the cable are confirmed to be good; safe mode didn't help; feel free to suggest anything else. (Weird thing, it didn't even lose power -- was still in rest mode after the lightning.)

iFixit suggests this is either the PS4's HDMI port (no visible damage) or the HDMI chip, which is not an easy self-repair. Is this something a local shop could do for a reasonable price (<~$100) or do I just have to bite the bullet and join the PS5 hunt? I wasn't planning to do that anytime soon.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

buy a UPS, people! they can be had for under 70 bones!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

After my last power outage I bought two surge supressors
It was on a surge protector and everything else on that one was fine (except I can't confirm the PSVR box yet, for obvious reasons). Got two TVs and a router, also on protectors, as well as a ceiling fan and light fixture. Electrician said not much you can do about this kind of thing -- this wasn't a routine "power got weird during a storm" incident, it actually struck maybe 20 yards from the room with the PS4, exploded a wooden fence and blew a couple of bricks off the building. Just thankful it didn't start a fire like has happened here before.

I got seven years out of the PS4 so nbd for the money really, just wasn't looking to jump in the PS5 market yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My PS4 stopped outputting audio and video over HDMI about six weeks ago after a lightning strike. It boots and responds to input, and outputs sound over the headphone jack in the controller, but it's useless, and yes, I've confirmed it's not the TV or cable, etc.

I wasn't planning to jump on a PS5 anytime soon but got the magic Sony invitation the other day and successfully placed an order. My question is, what do I need to do to decommission the PS4, and then what do I physically do with it? I've successfully logged in via Remote Play but I assume I'm trying to sign out of PSN would either fail or break my Remote Play connection; reading a guide even deactivating as a primary PS4 involves rebooting, so that would also sever the connection. Just going straight to factory reset, idk if that would be allowed and idk how I'd be able to be confident it succeeded since I wouldn't be able to log in to Remote Play again.

Is deactivating via the PSN web site and then pulling the hard drive (might as well anyway, I think I've got an enclosure to at least use it with a PC) the best I'm gonna do and sufficient? And then... is it worth anything to anyone for parts or to try to refurbish? Trash seems wrong. The like periodic city e-recycling thing?