Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Wow the trophies for TLG are pretty hardcore, not much in the way of gimmes just for playing through the game.
ND are absolutely insane like that. Their collectible fetish is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Housh posted:

Would FF15 be a good first FF? Is the battle system easy enough for someone who plays Dragon Quest VIII?
People who've played Final Fantasy don't even understand the combat system, you'll be in the same boat for better or for worse.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The CEO of Sony Entertainment is out.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Horizon is one of those games that don't look bad; it's just that the trailers feel so conspicuously edited that what's not there makes me worried about whether the game's going to be any good.

By rule of thumb, the game's going to be fairly generic and repetitive throughout with only the thinnest of plot. Sometimes, great character dynamics can deal with most of this (Naughty Dog), but there doesn't seem to be any of that either.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Today's the last chance to get Knack for 69% off in the EU sale.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Wonder what it's like to play one of those bullethell games.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Ramagamma posted:

So Amazon.co.uk are doing a special double deal where you can pickup The Last Guardian and the Blu Ray of The Never Ending Story for £32

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MSWWN8T?th=1

What the christ
It probably only works for people old enough to remember Falkor. It's a niche offer, and a pretty funny one at that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Policenaut posted:

You'll be back this Fall for Destiny 2, fam. It'll be fine.

I kind of want to buy a PS4 Pro after seeing Boost Mode and how well PSVR and Nioh work on it, but then Destiny 2 got announced and I'm like hey maybe if I wait there'll be a white Destiny 2 Pro bundle?
I got my PS4 as a Destiny offer, there's no way they won't be bundling the poo poo out of Destiny 2.

PS4 probably won't be able to convince people it's a PS4 exclusive this time around, though, but all the more reason to pull out all the stops.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm about to lose my loving mind trying to PSN preorder Horizon here.

When I try to preorder on my computer, I get a "session expired", after I finish the last payment step.

When I try to preorder on the iOS app, I am thrown in a constant loop of preordering, confirming, entering my password, paying.

When I try to preorder on my PS4, nothing happens after I enter my password, and I'm just back at the password prompt.

Anyone who can help me accomplish the basic loving task of preordering the game on this godforsaken store front, please god?

Edit: Chrome Canary won't even let me log in, and Edge does the loop thing.

Edit Hoooly loving poo poo. I had 80% of the money I needed in my Wallet, so I just moved the remaining amount to my Wallet instead. Of course, I couldn't do that on my PC without an error, so I used my iPad's mobile data to transfer the Wallet amount, so I could finally order from my loving PC in this year of our lord 2017.

What even is your store, PlayStation.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 26, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The story mode of that game was the weirdest goddamn thing, and all of a sudden it was over.

I hope it won't be as weird and short this time around.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Good timing, considering the discussion.

So what are people betting on the next SKU? I'm thinking it'll be more than just a Pro Slim for December 2018... they'll maybe do that but then also have some new fatty called the PS4 Ultra or something that'll specifically have a second GPU to improve VR performance, a better modem to improve streaming and Remote Play stuff (maybe an over the web streaming capability with some heavier duty hardware requirements on the client end), but not much more than that since their whole insistence on even the launch being able to run everything will really limit them, though.
I passed on the PS4 Pro, because they ditched the UHD drive. Unfortunately, some Pro owners might feel miffed if theirs were to suddenly lack one when a future iteration doesn't.

It'd also be a very easy way for Sony to add something to it.

Twitch and streaming are a total mess on the PS4 as it is, and it'd be great if they could ensure that everyone can stream and watch without a miserable experience. It's weird how Sony had the fantastic idea to embrace recording and streaming only to sort of bork it along the way.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What difficulty should I play Horizon Zero Dawn on? I'm hearing it's pretty easy and that the hardest difficulty may be the preferable one.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can someone answer me about something very annoying in Horizon?

The game has this useful feature where it tells you what resources can be used for. Some of them only have "can be sold to merchants", so one thinks that these are just valuables to sell.

BUT, turns out many of these items, especially the glasses, are required for buying things like upgraded armour, so I can't even use that dumb infobox.

As a result, I'm packing six luggage cases of resources, which I'd rather not. I only sell the ancient items I find.

Can someone tell me in plain English which items I can safely sell? And if not, how long can you buy back an item?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 2, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The gear system in Horizon is a bit weird. You can't unsocked your mods without sinking points in a skill, and you don't appear to be able to upgrade from one piece of gear to the other, because you sink so much money into each. Trying to figure out when, if ever, to buy new gear, but I have to use somewhere around half or a third of my metal to do so.

I think that's my only main gripe with the awesome game; it's a little difficult to gauge where you are level-, gear-, enemy-wise.

But at least a lot of enemies have a hidden way of dealing a lot of damage to them.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a weapon tier higher than Shadow/Purple/Very Rare in Horizon ZD?

Well, there's obviously that mysterious armour in the bunker that says level 25 and requires power sources I haven't begun to know where to find, but aside from unique items.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 3, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009

RichterIX posted:

To celebrate this boon of great new exclusives my 18 month old PS4 that's hardly been used has decided to poo poo the bed. No video signal at all or a black screen across multiple TVs and cables, even in safe mode. That $60 I paid for Horizon not knowing I would only get to play it for about 2 hours would have put a decent chunk in the $100 I'm going to have to pay to fix the loving thing.

Makes me want to get a priest to bless my still-working launch PS3 if only the holy water wouldn't break it.
Sounds like it might be this issue.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There's a place in Horizon where you're told you should clear all "errands" and so on before going ahead. What does this mean specifically? I take it I can still do side quests afterwards, and that I just need to make sure I just don't go in without my pants?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ex post facho posted:

where does HZD rank on a scale of FO4 to Nioh?
I think it's loving amazing 10/10. I'm the grumpiest guy in the world, and the story, worldbuilding, and voice acting are all top notch.

The graphics are great, but I feel like I need a Pro/HDR for my excellent 4K Panasonic to see the same thing everyone else does when they call it describe it the way they do.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Horizon's Hard difficulty feels like the way it's supposed to be played. Towards the end, I've got all my stuff upgraded, and major encounters can be beat in three to five attempts at most.

Cauldrons are a little tricky and don't have as good a way of ensuring you're within the right gearing/level to handle it, and once you're by the end, it's too late.

I probably wouldn't have able to beat the second one if I hadn't put explosives everywhere by the end, ACME style.

As long as you remember to shoot tech off bosses/major machines with tearing arrows, you should be good and just do some trial and error. A lot of major machines have a radar on top of them to always detect you as well as some serious gently caress-off weapons.

The game's AI is also super wonky, so you can do well by circling a big unbreakable rock and keep putting arrows into them that way. Most big machines have a level that looks like that.

Using the bunker armour is pretty fun, since you're invincible unless you're an idiot, but it's only there to put on when you're doing small stuff you can't be arsed to spend time on. Probably not for the purists, and only used it to clear errands/side quests before the end.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 4, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't know if Aloy is well-characterized, but she has a great inflection in her scenes, and her voice actress is top notch, except I might have wanted her to be a bit more expressive in some scenes.

You sometimes get three dialogue options: intellectual (brain), compassionate (heart), and aggressive (fist), so it's also up to you to define her to some extent. She usually dismisses any kind of rudeness with sarcasm and the like, so there's a decent amount of blank canvas for you to project your preferred version of her.

She's by far my favourite protagonist for as long as I can remember. Probably the most interesting one since Joel from TLOU. The graphics and facial animation are also really great, and it's also worth mentioning that the other characters in the game are great, so they serve Aloy's development and interactions great.

It's a really fantastic game, I almost wish I had something to bitterly criticize it with.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

a kitten posted:

I just rented Horizon and it seems pretty rad, not that I'm very far into it. I didn't know I'd have to level up...what do i pick? aaaa
Off the top of my head, Concentration, Silent Strike+Lure Call, Dodge Prowess.

Concentration is great for headshots, and you also get a zoom, which they don't mention in the description for some reason.

Silent Strike + Lure Call makes life a lot easier, since you can do stealth takedowns and lure literally anyone to high grass where you can take them out with no one noticing.

Dodge Prowess is pretty much necessary to dodge larger machines.

The third skill tree isn't too important. Tinker is nice to have by the end, since you can maximize the efficiency of all your gear with three slots.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Snak posted:

Here is an example of the movement I was talking about loving.

https://gfycat.com/HomelyViciousCow

Look at that. How cool is that?
I wished they'd done some more animation mannerisms just to put it over the top, but I like that she actually starts reacting to cold weather in her animation, even though it's tipping the lampshade a little bit - given that she should probably have frostbite at that point.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any hints for the last stand tower defence cannoneering part of Horizon?

I don't know how close I've come, but, uh, I may be doing something wrong.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm on the second wave atm. Do I prioritize the Deathbringers first, or do I take out the critters first and go back to pummelling it?

I just keep getting hit a lot, and I'm not entirely sure whether I'm supposed to have functional cover, as nothing seems to protect me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
omg, who thought a boss timer would be a good idea

ufarn
May 30, 2009

fridge corn posted:

i plan to get bloodborne as my next game purchase but I am fairly mediocre to bad at video games so I am scared :(
A lot of games are copying the mechanics, so you'll also get good at a lot of other games like Horizon by playing Souls games and figuring out how invulnerability frames in dodging works. Parrying, too, but that depends a lot on latency and FPS as well.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Xaris posted:

This is probably an oft-asked question but I decided to jump on the PS4 bandwagon despite mostly being a PC gamer (with a DS3/4 controller!). I've played a lot of things on Steam already thus looking into PS4 exclusive games worth owning, or play so radically better on the PS4. Probably getting NieR on Steam as well.

Mostly just in it for Bloodborne and upcoming KH3, but the bundle I got comes with Horizon so I might as well play that.

So what I'm looking up gathering/getting is then:
-Bloodborne GOTY
-Horizon
-Uncharted 4
-Nioh
-Ratchet & Clank
-Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 preorder
-Crash Bandicoot Trilogy preorder [long live nostalgia feels]

Anything else worth getting? What exclusive are worth keeping a eye on this year?
Until Dawn is fantastic, but you'll only want to play it once, so rent it or make sure you don't buy it at full price.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

FishBulb posted:

If I don't have a pro does this update do anything. I'm bad at paying attention.
Nope. Boost is Pro-only. It's got other improvements like simplified notifications and support for external HDDs.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Something's really wonky with my dashboard and capturing. It lags like hell and often doesn't capture video and photos. I didn't even get my Platinum screenshot for Horizon. :smith:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
1.5% of Horizon owners have plat'd it. That seems like a decent share for a trophy that takes at least 10-20 hours more to get.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I got every achievement on the first run with the exception of the grazer dummies, which were kind of a pain to find without consulting a walkthrough. It seems like a pretty easy game to plat if you do everything.
It's fairly straightforward with a trophy guide, but it's still interesting that people didn't just put it down after completing it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Trophies are just another goal/mission mechanic. It's little different than grinding for XP or loot, and it's only worth doing if the trophy criteria are reasonable.

If you play something like a Souls game, it can be hard to tell when you've really *beat* a game and challenged yourself as much as possible.

Given that Horizon doesn't have much of an ending, getting plat is a nice way to wind down to the point where you can finally put it asides and move on.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

would you say I beat dark souls 3 or that it beat me if I told you that I took one look at how obnoxious the spell trophy was, said lol nah and shut the game off
The DS3 ones are kinda stretching it for me; I never even finished one playthrough basically due to the convoluted trigger system for story and NPC stuff.

Some companies clearly hate their audience like Naughty Dog, and there's a good reason I only have like two plats on the PS4 (Bloodborne+Horizon). I'd get the Rocket League one, too, mainly because it's so easy, but I kinda have to grind it out, and I can't really be bothered.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Going back to trophy chat: I just beat the main part of horizon and am thinking I'm going for Plat. I only have one Plat and its from fist of the north star so I'd like to add something else.
It's pretty fun to get. If nothing else, you'll have a lot of opportunities to play photographer.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fix posted:

SNES: garbage console.
The worst thing about it was that the gamepad buttons were very quick to stop working.

A little like the N64 analogue stick after playing the loving boat challenge in Mario Party.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

My original gamepad from like 1992 still works
Is it the purple American one or the more colourful PAL?

I had the European one.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can't recommend re-watching the E3 trailers in 4K on YouTube. The God of War one is loving unreal and reveals so many details you didn't notice the first time around.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Uh, *can*.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for local co-op games. 3 players preferable.
I believe Helldivers has 4p co-op, but be sure to double-check. Twinstick shooters are always good fun for local sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The inventory system is the actual villain in H:ZD.

I wouldn't have minded the crafting system if they had remembered to add raccoons to the game.