Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

it's okay to be wrong sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was modestly enjoying Horizon for the first few hours but just hit a fight with two Sawtooths that forced me to use every weapon I had and I see why people love this game now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol and immediately afterwards I run into a datalog about people getting arrested by "SWATbots" for anti-corporate online rallies, this game is alright

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey, been wanting to go back to Horizon but I never got all that far in it. When can I get the storage upgrades? Having to decide what to keep was killing me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Duh, didn't even notice that part of the crafting menu :downs:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nier is consistently good, the best stuff's just at the end

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah I'd just stop, I guarantee you will hate Route B even though I enjoyed it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Count me among the people that would love TftBL 2, what an amazing series that was.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The cutscenes are amazing in Yakuza 0

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The still images are amazing also

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think Infinite has an interesting story, it's just not the story it was sold as. Burial at Sea is loving terrible and ruins both the main game and the first game somehow. I legitimately almost quit out of disgust at one point.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Manatee Cannon posted:

the thing with your eye in first person was really uncomfortable in burial at sea

This is the thing that made me want to quit

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I played Dark Souls 3 like it was Bloodborne, ditched the shield and had a great time

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

KingSlime posted:

also gently caress your UFO thing thats not a proper persona

:chloe:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Real hurthling! posted:

Wtf is jak and daxter the precursor legacy and why is it preloading with uncharted?

it's an old naughty dog game you get with the preorder

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Getting back into Horizon and man, this game is kicking my rear end. Don't really love having to hunt and forage constantly for the only two ways to regenerate health, and I really hate fighting human enemies, though I still love the rest of it. The Tripcaster seems kind of worthless in most situations though, should I be more proactively switching it out for the Ropecaster for larger enemies?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't really like the other God of Wars but I'm really excited for this for some reason

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

well this seems aggressively unpleasant

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was honestly not expecting that to be last of us

kind of disappointed considering that felt a little off tonally

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lakbay posted:

Were those characters even in the 1st game?

No.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MrLonghair posted:

I thought it'd be something neeeeeew but still that's cool as hell. Ok Fromsoft at PSX then..

e: that was definitely a grown up Ellie in that clip, which is awesome

I don't think it was, she looked and sounded way different from the announce video.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Manatee Cannon posted:

none of them were but what is a sequel for if not introducing new characters

idk it felt exactly like tlou to me. the only thing that kept me guessing was that it didn't feature ellie or joel

The thing about the brutality in TLoU is that you were the one doing it, and it served a narrative purpose. This just seemed like, gratuitous.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I disagree. Like the spike is honestly probs the worst thing in the game but even that I can justify. I had to look away during the arm breaking, ugh.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Whatever. The first game is one of my all-time favorites but I went in not sure that I wanted another Last of Us and I left even less sure of that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fix posted:

When Joel dies to clickers.

I forgot about that, true

Actually when he dies to a bloater is waaaaaay worse

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like the only place TLOU 2 could go that I'm interested in would be a story about escaping and recovering from abuse. I really like the stories of TLOU and Uncharted 4, so I'm willing to trust Druckmann (and whatever impact Straley had before leaving) but for some reason I have a really bad feeling they're gonna try to rehabilitate Joel, when the entire point of the first game is that he's a terrible, broken, selfish person who sacrifices the world for his only human connection against that person's will. It's totally paranoia, I know, but if they did that I'd just hate it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Leyburn posted:

Joel doesn't need rehabilitating. Peventing a traumatised child's grief and guilt being exploited by a self-serving violent militia was a good thing imo.

oh awesome this conversation again

love to see the fascinating moral complexity boiled down to "no actually joel is 100% right"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol no one understands that loving game at all

there's a reason it ends from ellie's perspective, guys

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

so you have an actual point to make or are you just being an rear end in a top hat for no reason

e: oh wait it's vvv, I know the answer

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was done but whatever, "the Fireflies couldn't do it" has consistently, since the game came out, been some hot tactical realism bullshit meant to absolve Joel. I've gone through all those audiologs multiple times, the game doesn't suggest it strongly at all. The closest it comes is like "we've never seen anything like this!!!" which, duh, that's the point of Ellie's specialness. Also, the Fireflies might not know what Ellie wants, but the point is that Joel does. I think it's muddied a little bit, understandably, by Ellie being fourteen.

I'm not even really saying that Joel shouldn't have taken Ellie. I'm instead saying that he's just not a good person. When I played the ending it resonated with me because I had projected myself onto Joel as the main character, and was shocked when he acted in ways I disagreed with, but that's not the point. The real point of the ending is its ambiguity between trust and distrust, lies and truth, what's justifiable and what isn't just to survive, on both sides. The last shot before the final cutscene is Ellie looking up at Joel, cast in shadow by the sun: she can't recognize him. On some level she probably knows what he's done, but whether she accepts his lie or doesn't is up to the viewer (an ambiguity the sequel kind of ruins just by existing, sadly). It's complex, it's meaningful. And saying there's no grey to Joel's actions, that there was never a chance of success, that Ellie should just thank him, shits all over that.

e: man what a good game

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

actually, yeah, you're probably right about that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

rabidsquid posted:

i think asking the question of "will the cure work" in the last of us is like intensely silly. if you played through the game and strung along with the plot thinking "it's totally realistic and possible to mass produce this theoretical cure and then also distribute it and also that's going to bring order back to society" i really dont know what to say about that

they might as well have been throwing her into a sinkhole to appease god

I think this is a weird assumption that has nothing to do with the plot or themes of the game and everything to do with you bringing a bunch of outside knowledge. That's not even a plot hole it's just a refusal to take the game at its word for no reason. There's no actual reason to think about it in this way, because the game doesn't comment on it at all and if you do there's no game.

e: If your complaint is "why doesn't the game address this" then that's at least a criticism, but I suspect that's not where you're going with this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The game very clearly skips over a lot of the establishment of the Fireflies because once you find them the game's almost over but I think that a story in which there was no chance of success whatsoever is much weaker and less interesting, so I'm willing to extend the benefit of the doubt pretty far in that direction.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Assuming they're 100% wrong and unable to do anything they say, I think that's actually kind of a problem that makes me like the game less, not because I want them to be right but because it makes the situation way simpler and less interesting. They should probably have addressed some of the specifics of their plan in the game, though.

But also Joel doesn't know or care any about any of this so it's not even all that relevant to the choice he makes, so whatever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rinkles posted:

Guessing I'm not alone in feeling that scene (tlou2 trailer) was a bit much? Don't really want to play that game anymore.

I agree for the record

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, I liked Horizon a lot but my main problem with it was mainly that it was kinda too long, I can't imagine playing it four times.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

4 is definitely the best, most cohesive Uncharted.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I played it three times for the platinum, but when I say that I'm talking about poo poo like the story and overall pacing. The gunplay feels best in 4, and while people really like the grenade throwback in 3 it kind of ruins that game, which should be about forcing you into constant motion and run-and-gun tactics. Also 3 has some garbage combat arenas, while 4 has some of the best in the series.

Also 3's pacing is loving dire, there's incredibly long segments with little to no combat that drag on replays.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The serious parts of Uncharted 4 are the good parts of that game. The series finally telling a legitimately compelling story was great.

fruit on the bottom posted:

I used my PSNow trial to try the Uncharted 1 and it was alright but I wasn't really feeling the combat. Does it get better/should I just pick up the remasters instead?

Uncharted 1 sets up the characters but is inessential (and has the worst combat), 2 is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked the game a lot and wanted to play it more.