Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Do not call your friends or co-workers slutty just because they wear a sexy costume.

it was a misunderstanding in that his opinion is bad, but it's bad for many more reasons than were conveyed in his original post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Remind me, PS4 is still a platform where you have to pay a subscription fee to even access the multiplayer features, right? What are they spending that money on if they won't even spring for servers on which to run the multiplayer features that people are paying for?

isn't it developers' choice at this point? Like that was the reason (or one of them) that The Last of Us had an online pass, because they utilised Sony's online stuff instead of separately creating their own (even though Naughty Dog is owned by Sony, so I'm not sure how that works out in the end). I can imagine EA turning that down because of laziness or greed, if they're the ones responsible for the decision.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

strategery posted:

How much is the helldivers on sale with all dlc? I own the base game but it won't let me buy the ultimate edition and the dlc pack is 25 bucks.

at least without PS+, it's $19.99 stateside

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
there's no reason not to give the player the choice of inverting either axis if they have camera controls. I tried to play Beyond Good and Evil last year and I was super into the premise but I had to stop about ten minutes in because you can't change one of the axes (I forget which one) and it made the game unplayable for me

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

credburn posted:

This and Grim Fandango are my favorite adventure games. I was looking forward to the remaster...but the Grim Fandango remaster wasn't all that impressive and the Full Throttle remaster seems to ... it's like they rounded every pixel and really emphasized the border and so it looks more like Dexter's Laboratory. The Out of This World / Another World was another remaster that was...fine, but ruined the aesthetic by adding a bunch of detailed backgrounds to what worked best as a beautiful, minimalist game.

Anyway, I came to this thread because I have a question: my girlfriend and I share a PS4. If she buys DLC for a game we own, but we use two different profiles, will I be able to use the DLC, too? Or will I have to just play on her profile like a sucker?

you should be able to use it, as far as I've heard

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Guillermus posted:

-Until Dawn: I have little idea about this game and didn't spoil myself. But, is it an interactive adventure with different endings or a QTE game with just focus on the plot? Curious about it (don't mind spoilers to be honest at this point). 16.49€ right now.
-Helldivers: Does it have good SP (and even co-op) content? Looks fun but from the little I know, the community has an impact on the game.

Until Dawn is good and does some cool things with the motion sensor as opposed to bad things with the motion sensor. as other people have said, it's a playable teen horror B-movie, so if you'd spend that much on that kind of entertainment, then go for it

If you're not going to play multiplayer for Helldivers, it's honestly not worth getting, imo. you can do the missions solo, but they're generally a slog that way and it's much more fun with a party of four. the multiplayer is all co-op PvE.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am thinking about playing World of Final Fantasy.

honestly, I liked FFXV, but WoFF is the best Final Fantasy game that came out last year.

you can check out the thread for some more info

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 22, 2017

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

:toot:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/834054241379573760

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Imagined posted:

Do any of you use PlayStation Vue? My mom has a PS4 and a Roku and is looking for ways to save $ on cable. Do you like it? Any caveats?

Does your mom play Bloodborne?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just started World of Final Fantasy.

I really forgot what JRPGs were like, didn't I

JRPGs are good and I love that one of the opening exchanges is something like

"Are you God?"
"Hmm.. I guess I am"

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

https://youtu.be/DAhG9D9UO7c

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ammanas posted:

ok I'm going to be in a leg cast for a month so I was thinking of picking up as PS4 to pass the time a bit. But I'm struggling to find value in the game library. It seems like the best games are PS3 remasters or games better on PC.

About the only game I'm genuinely interested in Horizon Zero Dawn.
Uncharted comes with the system, cool.
I have Bloodborne in my cart but I'm pretty sure I won't like it, I didn't play more than 2 hours of Demon Souls (or was it Dark Souls? Dont remember)
Shadow of Mordor, I remember playing it on PC and it was fun and it's cheap so.
Ratchet and Clank is a remake of the first game? Maybe. Did love those games though.
Titanfall 2 for the single player? Not a big fan of console FPS controls but the aesthetic looks good.

What am I missing here? I've gone through Last of Us, MGSV, GTAV, Witcher 3 on PC/PS3.

Ammanas posted:

I like good games, but the aesthetics and themes of jRPGs really lost me around, uh FF8

not sure exactly which part of it you don't like anymore, but if you don't mind a cute game with Pokemon-ish elements and a basic anime plot, World of Final Fantasy is real good. your enjoyment probability certainly increases the more games you've played in the series, but it's by no means necessary to have fun, and you'll still get most of the references if you've played through VIII and have even a vague idea about some of the others.

FFXV is hit/miss with people, but it's definitely a departure in a lot of ways from the previous entries in the series, both in battle system and world exploration.

the problem is both of those games have demos but they're not good demos, so trying the demos might actually put you off them if you're on the fence at all.

The Last Guardian is also missing from your list, and Until Dawn is good to rent for a night, especially if you have someone else to watch/play it with you

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I never played Knack but everything I have seen about its visual design is aggressively unattractive and cheap looking.

it's almost as though it was pieced together with random knick-Knacks that Mark Cerny found around his home

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I just got Horizon and Yooka-Laylee. games are good again, what a time to be alive

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

what is the best car game for ps4?

Sakurazuka posted:

Rocket League

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

While I shouldn't be surprised by it I'm still salty that Xbox has two standard Forza titles plus a Horizon one while we don't have anything Gran Turismo yet.

you can apply for the closed beta

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Well Tess is gone, which I saw coming thanks to her enthusiasm with the mission. It sucks but there was not much relationship with her to mourn . I killed the jerks who got her :argh:

The game is surprisingly visceral in deaths. Clickers are one hit kills, which is dumb, but it really emphasizes the survival horror aspect of the game: don't run and gun arcade style!

Unless I can get my jollies by having this foul mouth chatter box kid eaten I don't see what else is left

you can also get a skill eventually that gives you an extra chance with clickers, if you search around for enough pills for it

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I bought Bloodborne for $15-20 and played through it once and it was cool but that's about all the desire I have to ever play a Souls-like game and I probably wouldn't buy a Bloodborne 2 or any other Souls game

that's my story thanks for reading.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
this guy who earned 1200 plats is really miffed that Sony isn't recognising his achievement/enabling his poor decisions like Microsoft would

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

J-Spot posted:

The draw distance is better although I don't think an open-world game exists that doesn't have some amount of pop-in. I can't remember if the game ever hard froze on me or not but it doesn't have those little freezes whenever the game auto-saves that the PS3 version had.

for an open world game without minor annoyances, Horizon is clear and away the better choice

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Because in typical EA fashion they hosed it up with a less over the top sequel followed by a series of poo poo spinoffs

NBA Street and SSX were both less good than their sequels. :colbert:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Covok posted:

Alright, threw in my order on Amazon for a Pro 1TB. Picked up Bloodborne and Until Dawn while I was at it. Thought I should finally touch those exclusives that piqued my interest before.

Thanks for the help.

make sure you pick up Horizon

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Are Nier or Horizon getting big DLC expansions / GOTY editions? Definitely want to play them at some point but I don't mind waiting.

Guerrilla Managing Director Hermen Hulst posted:

This is only the beginning of Aloy’s story and our exploration of the world of Horizon Zero Dawn, with the team already hard at work on an expansion to the story.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Don't neglect PSN's great indie titles, they have some really great digital exclusives like Journey and Abzu. Transistor and Bastion are spectacular as well.

I don't think any of those are exclusive

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I was thinking PS4 exclusive, but I guess it's not likely he had a PS3.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can you use Tearblast arrows? Because they'll knock them all off with one shot.

you can (and should), though if they just got to the hunting grounds for the first time, they probably wouldn't have access to them

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'm an idiot and confused the Metal Flowers with the Power Cells.

to be fair, you don't really need those either. I don't think I ever even really used what they unlock, except like once just to try it out.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Why not? Its insanely good. I didn't take damage in the game one after that I don't think.

it seemed like something I'd use for a NG+ or something, but I didn't want to trivalise the little bit of the game left. plus taking down two thunderjaws and a bunch of grazers by the skin of my teeth was part of the fun.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
if you're interested and you have PS+, there's no real reason to not just download Tales From the Borderlands and try it out. I don't really find TT games all that engaging, but that's supposed to be one of the better oens

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I find it amazing how young most goon gamers are when they ask what style of game Telltale games are... There was a period of literally 2 decades where adventure games were the bread and butter of gaming, mainly due to technological limitations" telling a good story.

Y'all are too young.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, because Telltale was founded in 2005, and adventure games like King's Quest, Monkey Island, or Day of the Tentacle had much more in the way of gameplay/puzzles than a standard Telltale game, which basically has "Pick Dialogue Option A or Dialogue Option B". I wouldn't even really call Telltale's games adventure games, because, at least for the ones I've played, there's no adventure--you hardly explore anything. granted the one I played most recently was Walking Dead Season 2, but people calling it a glorified CYOA novel aren't really that far off.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

No. My point was that everyone loses their marbles over a game and makes a bunch of ridiculous claims about how its the best game ever and then within weeks there is multiple other best games. And since it's SA it's always some oddball Japanese game.

Nioh is pretty ok I guess and Neir is memorable if nothing else, but people shoot for the loving moon when they talk about them.

how odd that people who have strong opinions about (relatively) niche games are found here, on a forum about video games.

seriously, though, if anyone is going to ask for recommendations, they should probably always ask for qualifications like "if you like __________, then _____________" or "_____________ is good because _______________" so people get an actual context to work off of. otherwise, don't take your gaming recommendations based only on what people say they like. after all, some people like Sonic '06. but also don't complain about people saying they like games they like.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Macarius Wrench posted:

I didn't play Heavy Rain because I know it's not a game I would click with but I did watch a friend play the first few hours and I remember just about wetting myself with laughter over spamming the JASON voice line :laugh:

This is probably my favourite Heavy Rain video (ending spoilers)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Wait, HZD has bad voice acting? What the gently caress do you define as good in a video game, because while it's not bonkers amazing like TLOU, it's still pretty drat great for the main characters and most of the side ones. The jittery animations here and there are creepy and weird, but DXHR had that, too, and it also had pretty respectable VA.

people quote that one video of that one sidequest that popped up a little bit before the game came out and act like that's representative of the whole game. even so, it's not like there's anything that's really, truly jarring.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Not all of them?

Was just playing last night and there's this gay Osseram pilgrim wanting to check out his dead boyfriend's work that was very solid. There was also the lady at Free Heap that makes the new crazy gun that was also really good. Nakoa, the Nora chick that wants revenge was also excellent, as was Ziad.

I think people fail to appreciate just how much dialogue and depth there is in the game... When you have literally almost a thousand hours of spoken dialogue (just a guess, Witcher 3 had over a thousand), you're gonna end up with a few crappy ones where it was some QA dude's cousin or the wife of one of the coders. Of all the things you could complain about for the game, it's seriously a weak one.

it's worth noting at this point that fridge corn is a notable Bad Opinion Haver

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

to vary this theme a little bit, I bought Bloodborne for $15-20 and enjoyed it overall as my first Souls game but currently have absolutely zero desire to ever play it again, nor any of the others, so if a newbie were going to enjoy a Souls game, I feel like it would probably be Bloodborne, but I was also willing to suffer through a lot of dying to get through it and others aren't.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You can't vary the theme, I'm the one varied the theme. The theme was already varied.

well I'm RE-varying it :colbert:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
my only regret is that I did not watch all of Buffy before they took it off streaming on Netflix. I started watching Supergirl though, which seems to hit some of the same kinds of notes, if not as well, but that's a high standard to live up to anyway.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Like I said, the worldbuilding is the only interesting part of the narrative. All the interesting characters are dead ones.

Anyone in the cast who's upright and breathing and everything they're doing is horribly dull stuff, which is a bad thing because the game clearly thinks they're more important for whatever reason.

e: I have encountered three separate villagers voiced by Yuri Lowenthal in the last fifteen seconds. Go away, Yuri! I never liked you! Why must you hound me so

Nil was pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I'm always questionable of hate for any movie (see: Speed Racer) but It seems to be universally hated

Speed Racer was good gently caress the haters