Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Grouchio posted:

I finally got a PS4 for my birthday! (And also so dad can watch sports with VUE so it's technically his! :v:)

What sort of games should I buy to start off with (considering budget and all)?

I got mine last month and basically hit the exclusives first (you just missed a massive sale BTW, but you should definitely pick up these over time).

Destiny complete collection
Uncharted remastered collection
Uncharted 4
Infamous first son and second light
Ratchet and Clank HD
The last guardian
Final fantasy 15 (it has its jank, but it's still pretty good)
Until Dawn

That should keep you busy well into summer, though like I said, you just missed a sale where I picked most of those up for less than £20.

If you've not got a PC then there's a whole heap of other AAA games from the year you could pick up too. Like Doom etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

I kind of binged on sidequests last night in FF 15 to get my experience up. After a while, I started hoarding XP to take advantage of the double xp bonus. I gained about 9 levels in one go.

You should be using the nixperience band as well as well as expericast magic to rapidly shoot up in level.

I learned about the magic too late in the game too abuse it, but FYI you need about 60k or more exp per level from 90 upwards and the enemies in the world map don't scale as you progress through the game. You'll have to go into high level dungeons for greater exp per kill.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I just noticed that there are PS3 games on sale at the PS store. If I buy them from the store on my desktop are they tied to my account or do I have to go onto my PS3 to buy them?

It's just that my PS3 is modded and I need to revert it back to the OFW before getting out back online again (which is gonna involve reformatting the HDD at a whopping 56 hours for a terabyte).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I've just started playing The Last Guardian and i remember a lot of complaints from people about it being bad because they coudln't get Trico to do what they wanted. Did they just not play that far into the game or has it been patched or something because so far it's been fairly intuitive and about right if you don't expect your beastly companion to instantly do something the moment you push the button.

Like there's a clear pattern of it looking at what you want it to do, pondering for a few seconds and then doing it.

Also, the game is pretty great so far and really nails the same vibe as Ico.

Killzone can go and suck a dick though. It has to be one of the most unintuitive FPS's i've played in a long loving time. I just started the 3rd mission (where it seems like drama is about to begin), but the waypoints are unclear (so far), the combat is a bit ropey in how easilly you can be minced, your drone helper isn't all that useful and the weapon/ammo indicators aren't easy to follow. Are the setpieces just that good or something?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Guillermus posted:

I know I'm getting Nioh, but I want to beat God of War III remaster, then Uncharted 3, then Doom, then UC4 before impulse buying Nioh. I don't want to end with a backlog as huge as my Steam's where I have close to 600 games still to play...

I know the feeling. I've managed to get through a bunch of games on the PS4 since i got it before Xmas but have the following yet to play/finish (thanks sale):

Disgaea 5
KillZone
The Order
Bloodborne (+DLC)
Dragon Quest Heroes
Beyond Two Souls
Heavy Rain
Street Fighter 5
Mirrors Edge Catalyst
Guitar Hero (though you can't really 'complete' this)

I made a vow to not buy any more PS4 games this year but my work pays out bonuses in the form of Amazon Vouchers, so it's not really hitting my pocket.

As such, despite my vow, i've just bought:
Dragon Quest Builders
The Last of Us Remastered
Kingdom Hearts 2.8

And preordered the kingdome hearts HD re-releases.

I'm not even counting the PS+ games that i might skip over really unless there's something really good. Little Big Planet 3 seems kinda alright but not really worth putting 10+ hours in to finish the campaign.

I think i've crossed off a fair few big games too:

Final Fantasy 15
Destiny
Until Dawn
Uncharted 1-4
Everybody's gone to the rapture
The Last Guardian

But those other ones i've still to play are going to take a btit of time to get through (especially the Kingdom Hearts games at about 40 hours a piece). Can't really complain though as it's all gonna be fun, but i think that it's high time to draw a line on buying any new games until i play through all of these (and pretty much every multiplat that came out last year and is sitting on my Steam backlog).

edit: In all honesty it feels like i'm still stuck in some kind of scarcity trigger where i see soething for £20 and think i gotta get it before it sells out. When in reality, these days every game is still gonna be pretty available and probably cheaper) when i get around to buying it after i finish everything else.

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 12, 2017

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just stop lying to yourself now and accept that you're gonna keep building that backlog. You know you're gonna keep buying more games this year, we know you're gonna keep buying new games this year.

Nope. I'm gonna have willpower (and not buy any more RPGs).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So Dragon Quest builders is pretty loving neat.

I quite like the whole minecraft with a purpose thing it has going on.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Fingers McGee posted:

I'm looking for a chill controller game to play after sweaty PC FPSing. Im burnt on diablo3 and I know, I know, bloodborne, but I've never played a Souls game and every time I watch gameplay I feel like I would get bored. I tried For Honor, it was cool but not chill enough really.

Dragon. Quest. Builders.

I can't think of a chiller game i've played in months.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Haha, I can't believe I missed out on Until Dawn to now. I'm about 4 hours in and I'm loving every schlocky teen slasher minute of it.

It's really loving awesome, though don't read anything about it at all until you finish the game. It's one of those games where the 'choice' and divergent path aspect is pretty overhyped and the main beats of the story play out exactly the same give or take the presence of a character.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I just finished The Order 1866 and i thought it wasn't too bad.

I mean, i picked it up for £10 on sale and i know i'd have been pretty bummed if i dropped £45 on it at launch, but at that price you're getting a fairly well acted, nice looking CGI film that's got interactive shooty parts from time to time.

The stealth section was poo poo and some of the shooty sequences went on a bit long, but if it goes on sale again i'd say it's definitely worth a play.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I typed up a whole post referring to that video just now and then read the rest of your post and realized we were talking about the same thing.

That's a cool video. Some of the points he made were super interesting, and I could see where he was coming from...though my problem with the regular souls games wasn't just the gameplay, but that Bloodborne's setting is 10x more interesting than the fantasy formula of the rest of the games.

Got a link to that video?

I tried DS1 on pc and hated it (I got lost way too easily) , then used cheat engine on DS2 to give me max exp and I loved exploring the world (albeit with a guide) as it felt more structured I guess.

I'm not sure where Bloodborne sits but it's next on my list of games to play and I've heard that the combat is different enough to make it feel like a very different game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I'm playing Dragon Quest Heroes because I craved another Hyrule Warriors, but it's not really clicking for me.

I'm only about 5 hours into it, but it feels more like a tower defence game (with pain in the arse boss fights) so far.

Does that gameplay ever change or is it basically this from beginning to end?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ah, drat. I really loved the underdog slowly taking over a battlefield feel of HW. It's annoying but I might call it quits for DQH here if it's just this.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Dont let your expectations ruin an excellent game

I dunno, i've never played any of the dragon quest games, but the whole thing just feels meh compared to HW.

Combat feels clunky, it's all basically defend x object missions, the music is kinda bland, the story is meh. I don't even feel like there's enough difference between the characters/combat to warrant playing one over another.

I can see it's got a lot of polish but it just feels so average and uninteresting while I play it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

Xbone was more or less over once they announced all of their exclusives would be coming to windows anyway. If that is not basically saying 'gently caress it, lets cut our losses' I don't know what is. Scorpio was probably in the pipeline either way and is just going to tap into the xbone diehards.

I think in the long run Microsoft dropped the ball with games more than anything else this gen. They had a poo poo launch, the worse hardware, but it would have meant less if the library pulled its weight. Like people have said, Halo, Gears, and Forza are kind of stale. Largely because MS just shits too many of them out, the studios need a breather to let the series breathe a little, further give the devs something new to work on. Look at Horizon, and imagine what Gears or Forza team might be able to try if they weren't on a constant treadmill for those IPs alone.

The Pro feels kind of half-assed, but it makes more sense as a mid-gen upgrade. It is by no means a real 4K AAA game machine, but it does offer a lot of other decent perks, more importantly it scales well with the OG PS4. Basically it doesn't make that feel completely left behind. The Scorpio assuming rumor mill is right will almost be like a full generation leap. It is kind of weird position since the original Xbone is going to look horribly dated and makes me wonder if devs are going to really go out optimizing for Scorpio hardware in the short term.

In all honesty, i think this is the begining of the end for the Xbox.

Think of it this way, there's very few console exclusives at this point for it (and arguably none from now on if it's all going to be on the Window 10 store), so instead they seem to be doubling down on the hardware to entice people back. The problem is that the PS4 already has saturation and a great lineup of existing exclusives with more on the way. The Pro even took care of things for those of us who hadn't lept on the system at launch.

Even if the new Xbox is superior in hardware, why should we adopt it? I mean, in ~4 or so years we'll have the new playstation which will be even more powerful than the Scorpion.

It just seems like if you break away from the hardware launch windows of the current market leader, then you're on the road to decline, espeically if you don't offer enough console exlusives. Just look at the Sega and now Nintendo (which is basically only being sustained by its exlcusives at this point).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Sadly, it doesn't. The Wii U inexplicably loads faster, but looks like mush and due to the lower resolution there are less LOD related frame drops... Buyout both versions poo poo their bed in certain areas (Korok Forest, lol) and in general if too much stuff +Gras is on screen

This is the kind of feedback i've been looking for (didn't want to hit the spoiler filled Zelda thread), but i've been thinking the same thing in that Zelda is about the only thing that would make me get a Switch sooner rather than later. If Zelda was just as good on the WiiU (albeit a lower resolution i'd barely notice) though, then i'd have no problems just getting it on that just now and then waiting a few years before picking up a Switch with whatever Nintendo exclusives are out then.

Bascially, everyone's banging on about Zelda and it's making me want to play it when i can more than wait a few years and get everything for (well, it's nintendo) about 30% less. Espeically with the PS4 backlog of fun i'm currently trying to blitz through.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Are there any games currently, or coming out soon, worth looking into that are in the theme of dynasty warriors?
I haven't touched one of those games in.....10+ years but have the itch to take on waves of different enemies, fighting for objectives, unlocking crap

With all the talk of Switches over the last pages, go and buy yourself a WiiU, a copy of Hyrule Warriors and the season pass.

Then prepare to lose a good 4 to 6 months of your free time.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Man for all the complaints about the PS4 download speed, it's nothing compared to the Windows 10 store.

I grabbed a copy of Halo Wars 2 from Amazon and then had to install a 15GB update for it which is still not down after leaving my machine on all night.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is their rear end backwards attempt to maintain an Xbox user base because it won't even let me start the loving game without the update.

The download menu is also laggy and slow to update so you don't know what it's even doing half the time (is it when downloading anything??).

Basically, compared to this the PS4 is phenomenal for users.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I never played the original but I did feel the combat was a little clunky.

Overall it was really great though. Except the way they handle saves.

I chose the wrong option from the start menu after finishing the game and it wiped my new game+ save in favour of a new game from scratch.

There's no way of coming back from that I believe.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

bloodychill posted:

I built my current PC around the GTX1070 and 1440p gaming and including the pricy dumb GSYNC monitor, it all came to around $1300. I think targeting around $800-900 USD for the unit minus peripherals is usually a good bet if you can afford it. That will get you to high performance without spending money on stupid things like a GTX Titan or some gimmicky "xtreme" Intel processor. However, you can build a totally decent mid tier computer with a GTX1060 or equivalent AMD graphics card for just over $500.

Whenever I find someone quoting some £1k+ price for a gaming rig, I find they're talking about some bleeding edge machine that could fart out more power than a ps4 pro as well as a whole set of new input/outputs and they're not including the big rear end £600 4K TV they're planning on plugging their console into.

Kin fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 15, 2017

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Don't forget the general lower average game price on PC.

For every £10 less a game is, you quickly knock up another couple of hundred off your long term costs.

PS4 is a lot better at sales than I expected, but it's still pretty clear that games are cheaper on average on PC.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Except the expansions don't draw that much people towards the older content as much as draw them in for the newer. It's like looking at how many people played the crota raid versus dark below launch and king's fall launch.

A lack of matchmaking for the endgame raids also made it pretty difficult for newer players to get into the endgame content.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

How similar is Horizon to Far cry Primal?

I'm in the middle of playing that just now but am burning out on the bow and arrow/spear throwing, open world resource grinding aspect of it.

Horizon looks cool, but the superficial info I've read about it implies it's got a lot of that kind of stuff in it too?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

to be clear i'm a terrible person but there is no reason break poo poo over video games

I just identified the kinds of things that were pissing me off and stopped playing them. So, like discovering im just not that good at multilayer PvP stuff. So PvE it was from then.

It's worked wonders.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So I just stumbled across a vid on YouTube that indicates you can glitch the store into downloading games for free.

Apparently it involves moving through the menus too quickly for the system to catch up whilst dicking around with language settings or some such.

Any truth to this? Though I don't doubt that Sony will easily disable any games downloaded this way eventually if it does work.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

haveblue posted:

Lost Legacy is exactly more UC4, if that helps. That's what it wants to be and that's what it is.

I just finished it and it's great.

The thing is, what actually sat with me the most is that it's a really great game wrapped up in a tight 8 hour package.

After coming off the back of AC origins and shadow of war, I missed how good it felt to not be playing the same game for loving ages before completing it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok so what’s the appeal of BB for $13 I feel like I should just buy it but I’ve never played a souls game and I don’t get the obsession besides “hard but satisfying.” Like are you just endlessly running around fighting bosses

I have a switch and portable dark souls sounds cool, if it happens

It didn't click with me until someone explained the gameplay style. It's basically like Mario.

You have to get from a to b but if you die all the enemies come back (just like Mario).

The difference is that you gotta kill the enemies in a 3D combat situation and every enemy you kill gives you exp (and weapons) to gradually get stronger.

The catch? You need to use that exp or lose it.

Edit: Also the game is one huge sprawling map. It's fairly linear for the most part but what happens is that you unlock shortcuts that allow you to come back to earlier parts of the world. Or, if you get killed, quickly get back to where you died.

Kin fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 27, 2017

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Of all the wild explanations I've seen of Soulsborne games, this one is a serious contender for the best.

Why? It's pretty spot on. People are frightened to play soulsborn games because they're 'hard'. But they're only really hard in the sense that they look like your typical hack and slash RPG, but the core gameplay death mechanics are much closer to an old school platformer.

One view has people banging their head against a wall and quitting in frustration, the other sets the expectation of 'you're going back to the last checkpoint to try and do it better' instead of 'gently caress, I gotta kill everything again'.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I'm playing through DS3 on the PC just now and, while i've got it on max settings, i don't know quite how to place it but BB just looks a hell of a lot better graphically.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I think you're right, something about the darkness and the contrast for the colours or something. DS3 kind of feels muted compared to the vibrancy of BB.

edit: even the background stuff in the distance is better in BB. There are times in DS3 where i'm looking off in the background for places i've been and i can see how simplified the models/textures are (even on the highest settings). I might be misremembering but i don't think that was something i ever noticed in BB.

Kin fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 28, 2017

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

You know the answer to this.

stop doxxing and just get some self control. only buy during sales or for special games.

The issue is that there's so many games coming out these days that even waiting for things to go on sale means you can end up with loads to play.

I mean, hell there are a bunch of Wii Games i picked up that i'm just getting around to playing because i can't justify getting a switch until i've at least given them a go. After that comes the WiiU games i've still to play.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 came out before people over 30 were able to get through a backlog of sale only PS4 games (especially if you include any of the non exclusive stuff).

I genuinely think the only way to keep on top of things is to 1) ignore any and all RPG/open world games. 2) Never play a HD re-release of anything unless you never played the original.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Liver Disaster posted:

Use your wishlist so you're not tempted to buy things just because they're cheap.

I used to be able to see upcoming new games on steam to add to my wishlist, but for at least the last year i've been showing nothing but old games or shite. Like, i'm pretty bad for keeping on top of that latest games coming out ans steam helped me keep on top of that but due to its 'personalisation' i keep getting shown things like AVP2000 over Wolfenstein 2.

I kinda want to find a giant reset button for whatever behaviour it thinks it's mapped to me because it's loving useless at the minute.

It's kinda ridiculous that there are all of these data touchpoints that Valve have access to that could give me a solid storefront. Even basic things like time to purchase from a game's launch crossed with how much time i've actually spent in a game should help pretty much determine what stuff to show me. But instead it's just using the basic tagging of 'oh he's played a single player RPG? Here's another one!'.

Hell, Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers has just been shown to m in my Discovery Queue because, i poo poo you not, i've played games tagged with single player and mulitplayer. The number of magic the gathering or other card games i've ever bought? 0

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Borrowed Shadow of War and got less than three hours in before deciding I hated everything about what I was doing. Oh well, didn't like the last game much either so it's not too surprising.

Still kind of bewildered at how limp the combat feels, though. I'd might as well be swinging a pool noodle around.

Now imagine those 3 hours times by 10 and you've basically got the whole game.

There's something about too much of a good thing Shadow of War that turns it into a loving chore to play.

In retrospect, the first game nailed it with the amount of time you spent doing the same thing before ending.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

The best use of the nemesis system would be to design the ultimate anti-player character I think.

Whoever it is starts as a nameless templated moon and through both scripted and ad hoc battles it learns your playstyle. Then they pop out at the end as the finial boss of whatever and you've gotta overcome your own limits to win yadda yadda.

It would have to be a game that doesn't lock you down into one specific spec like do many games want to do with rpg like elements.

I'm talking observing little things like how aggressive you fight, do you get up close or attack from range, do you like to use a lot of healing items or dodge loads.

Hell with certain criteria the final battle area could change too. You like to hide? Well no hiding spots. You like to use healing items? Well the final corridor leading up to the last fight has a number of unavoidable damage points that force you to use your items in advance, etc

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

singateco posted:

Monster Hunter Worlds is the best game I have played on Playstation 4.

The world feels alive! Huge dinosaurs come to fight each other randomly during your hunt and it feels like one of those scripted E3 demos.

Also, there are so much toys you can play with. Capcom had the benefit of having a whole series of games to iterate, and it shows. They didn't really gave up on a lot of ideas, they kept adding and tweaking things along the way. It is just filled with mechanics you can learn and improve your hunt. And it just feels so good.

How does it compare to the previous MH games?

I've tried getting into some of them in the past but the controls have been one of a number of things that have put me off of it.

Things like not really knowing how much damage i'm dealing to a monster and having to grind stuff over and over again were also big detractors.

Does MHW have a lot more quality of life things that alleviate some of that?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Is there some kind of limit to how much the PSN network will let you buy in a short space of time?

I bought a few things on sale and then pre-ordered the Yakuza 6/0 pack fine over the weekend but now when i go to pre-order God of War, it's telling me the credit card info is wrong (both for my Paypal and direct CC info).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Kirios posted:

I have somewhat of a controversial opinion but I'm curious if anyone would possibly agree with me:

I loved Batman: Arkham Asylum. It felt like a 3D Metroidvania with a fantastic setting and characters and I've played it to 100% three different times now. It's a wonderful, wonderful game and probably on my top 5 of favorite games of last generation.

I'm not a fan of Batman Arkham City and thought Arkham Knight was kind of bad. I finished City but did minimal optional things (as someone who typically 100%'s games) and basically zoomed through the story to see it. It felt clunky and more sluggish and inferior in a lot of ways while also removing the Metroidvania part of Asylum that I loved. Knight was even further from that spectrum and got even crazier with things like collectables. To me, Asylum stands far above the rest of the games as a vastly superior game. Does anyone else kind of feel that way?

Having just finished replaying Asylum, it's great but the ending is pretty rushed in retrospect. It almost feels like a large chunk was cut out. You go from beating Ivy to whoop it's Joker Boss time and then that whole last boss is well, there's no effort to it really and it's pretty different to the other stuff in the game.

It was refreshingly short though. Like compared to most games these days that feel like a bit of a slog. I think it was one of the last AAA games before sandboxes overwhelmed everyone.

One thing i noticed, the secret Arkham City room isn't in return to Arkham, that or you can't actually discover it until you beat the game/reveal Quincy Sharpe's true identity (i didn't bother finding all of the collectibles).

Kinda makes me a bit sceptical to the stories that it was in the game the 'whole time'.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Is Ni No Kuni 2 worth the full price tag it has on digital at the moment (in the UK)?

I just read it has a city building mechanic and i'm a loving sucker for those.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Policenaut posted:

If Bluepoint is actually doing the remake maybe there'll be some changes involved.

I finished SotC earlier this week and it felt super nostalgic, but as if nothing much had changed.

Then I looked at the comparison images I unlocked and holy poo poo!

If I'm being honest, I booted up dark souls remastered and it just feels subpar in comparison (as a remaster).

Bluepoint basically remade the game from the ground up didn't they? Would it have been that much harder to do it for DS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I'm pretty sure I have the model of samsung TV that the CIA can spy on. 2013 model I think it was. If they want to break into my house and bug my TV so they can listen to me yell at video games and fart so be it.

Smart TVs are useless though. I guess old people that don't have 5 devices that do the same thing more efficiently hooked up to them might find some use in them. I've never even connected mine to the internet.

Whenever there's talk about smart TVs I always feel like I'm not using its full potential.

I don't use the Internet features, nor do I have a HDD plugged in. I don't use the 3D gimmick or any of the screen colour adjustment whatevers.

I hooked it up to a PC 4 years ago and then never found a use for any of it.