Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, they're more lenient with IP stuff than the west that's how you can get Super Robot Wars when everything is owned by 50 different companies easy enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

IP stuff will be much easier in a couple years once Disney owns everything.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's hilarious because IP licensing in Japan is like eh :shrug: but then they go insane about music and streaming stuff. It's the only thing that's made me consider getting a dedicated capture card, because eventually I think it would be fun to do some Yakuza LPs.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

beep by grandpa posted:

Ratchet & Clank 2016 did it during cutscenes but part of me wonders if they did that so people wouldn't upload it to youtube and get popped for copyright infringement on the movie, which had the same scenes.

yeah it was entirely because of the movie which ok, I guess it had a separate copyright and licensing issues but it also bombed super hard

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Xander Cage?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

hell yeah I love jumping to the defense of smart tvs they're just the bes-

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/839351918799519744
So don't plug a strange USB into your TV? Or buy something other than Samsung? Problem solved.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't really care if the CIA watches me whackin it and more power to me if they reckon it's worth tuning in for.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

I don't really care if the CIA watches me whackin it and more power to me if they reckon it's worth tuning in for.

More likely it wouldn't be the CIA, but that's not the point. The point is gently caress THEM

(as with all things involving personal code)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amazon Fire whatever is by far my favourite device that does all the things a smart TV does except that when you watch stuff on Prime they SERIOUSLY show you ads for other Prime stuff before the episode/film begins

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Amazon Fire whatever is by far my favourite device that does all the things a smart TV does except that when you watch stuff on Prime they SERIOUSLY show you ads for other Prime stuff before the episode/film begins

Haha owned.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Apple TV/PS4/Switch the ultimate squad

Apple Pisswitch

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

"He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved REDACTED"

"But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she’s going to adopt me and sivilize me and I can’t stand it. I been REDACTED"

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger REDACTED"

“It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better place that I REDACTED

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine REDACTED"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The PS4 has been out so long now and no one seems to know the specs for the controller’s headphone output or how it works as well as it does at all, given that the Bluetooth standard the controllers use is ancient. All I can find on the internet is the worst kind of baseless yet completely confident speculation.

The only thing I know for sure is that it’s fairly low power output, but with high efficiency earphones it sounds drat good to me but I don’t know how or why or if my ears are playing tricks on me.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 9, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm pretty sure I have the model of samsung TV that the CIA can spy on. 2013 model I think it was. If they want to break into my house and bug my TV so they can listen to me yell at video games and fart so be it.

Smart TVs are useless though. I guess old people that don't have 5 devices that do the same thing more efficiently hooked up to them might find some use in them. I've never even connected mine to the internet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

The PS4 has been out so long now and no one seems to know the specs for the controller’s headphone output or how it works as well as it does at all, given that the Bluetooth standard the controllers use is ancient. All I can find on the internet is the worst kind of baseless yet completely confident speculation.

The only thing I know for sure is that it’s fairly low power output, but with high efficiency earphones it sounds drat good to me but I don’t know how or why or if my ears are playing tricks on me.

The Xbone controller will really make you appreciate how good the DS4's headphone compatibility is.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
4k is nice but it doesn't feel anywhere as much of a jump as 1080 did

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm pretty sure I have the model of samsung TV that the CIA can spy on. 2013 model I think it was. If they want to break into my house and bug my TV so they can listen to me yell at video games and fart so be it.

Smart TVs are useless though. I guess old people that don't have 5 devices that do the same thing more efficiently hooked up to them might find some use in them. I've never even connected mine to the internet.

Whenever there's talk about smart TVs I always feel like I'm not using its full potential.

I don't use the Internet features, nor do I have a HDD plugged in. I don't use the 3D gimmick or any of the screen colour adjustment whatevers.

I hooked it up to a PC 4 years ago and then never found a use for any of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CrRoMa posted:

4k is nice but it doesn't feel anywhere as much of a jump as 1080 did

Tbh I can't really see the difference unless I'm sitting way closer to the TV than I'd ever want to. I have zero desire to upgrade. It seems like it's becoming the norm, so cool I guess I'll grab one when my TV craps out but I couldn't find it less exciting.

Tube TVs to 720 was like night and day. Then 720 to 1080 felt like a huge jump. I already can't see the individual pixels from 8 feet away with 1080 so I don't get what is supposed to be exciting about 4k

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 9, 2018

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

It's not about vision, though. I can see fine. If I moved my couch closer I would still lean in. Been doing it since I was a kid, even when I was sitting on the floor and could put my face up against the TV (if I wanted to). It's just about being in the zone and I can't do it sitting back all comfortable.

You need a beanbag chair. I love my fatboy. I really recommend that brand because the others I have tried are less comfy and unstable but the fatboys - while true to their name in terms of size when you need to store them - are rather stable once you found your lounging position, even when you get up to grab a drink and come back.

I haven't done gaming on the couch in years ever since I bought mine. Check ebay as they are pretty pricey but a lot of people sell them after a while because you really need room for them

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

And just like that I have the sudden urge to own a bean bag chair even though I have a comfy recliner to game in.

I used to have a papasan chair and it was perfect for lounging gaming sessions.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

And just like that I have the sudden urge to own a bean bag chair even though I have a comfy recliner to game in.

I used to have a papasan chair and it was perfect for lounging gaming sessions.

Around here some time in the 90s papasan chairs went from "one or two in every living room" to can't-pay-people-to-take-them-away. They're a bitch to saw down into pieces so they fit in the garbage bin I tell you what.

e: Oh sorry this was the PS4 thread. Well I played some more Fallout 4 this morning and it's still very pretty but also everyone carries around a lot of garbage and Codsworth keeps getting in my way I guess I might have to kill him.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Having a whole computer inside our TV's could be a cool thing, It means we could start watching a youtube video on the phone then think "gently caress this, I want to watch it on the big screen" and use the button in youtube that do that.

The only problem is hardware companies have no respect for software. They think hardware adds value and software is some poo poo they hate they are forced to put inside. So most hardware companies software is crap and full of security holes.

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 9, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tei posted:

Having a whole computer inside our TV's could be a cool thing, It means we could start watching a youtube video on the phone then think "gently caress this, I want to watch it on the big screen" and use the button in youtube that do that.

The only problem is hardware companies have no respect for software. They think hardware adds value and software is some poo poo they hate they are forced to put inside. So most hardware companies software is crap and full of security holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCfW6HFP5cI

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I can't really see the difference unless I'm sitting way closer to the TV than I'd ever want to. I have zero desire to upgrade. It seems like it's becoming the norm, so cool I guess I'll grab one when my TV craps out but I couldn't find it less exciting.

Tube TVs to 720 was like night and day. Then 720 to 1080 felt like a huge jump. I already can't see the individual pixels from 8 feet away with 1080 so I don't get what is supposed to be exciting about 4k

all it really does is clear up stuff in the distance that would a bit blurry in 1080 and applies some natural AA. i run my slim ps4 and pc (and switch/ps3/360/ps2/vhs/everything) through a 1080p projector at like 110 inches on the wall and i sit something dumb like 4-5 feet away from it and god of war in 1080p is pin perfect and i still could barely see any difference when i did a comparison with screenshots. i'd take a 1080p projector over a 4k tv any day and they are cheaper than all 4k sets of decent size i've seen.

i think most people are confusing 4k with automatically getting 4k textures and assets or some poo poo when they check out those pc screenshot threads on those weirder forums where people are running skyrim with 32k texture packs.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 9, 2018

revolther
May 27, 2008

Tei posted:

If you are saying that as of right now in 2018, you can't do that with any digital media and tv in your house, to me you are living in the dark ages like life on the prairie or some poo poo. I don't even have smart home poo poo, but just the basic ability to play your things on your things, that's like a sub 100 dollar investment for most households at this point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean most smart TVs have a YouTube app that you can cast to from your phone so that’s already very possible

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I love how you post this every few months, I'm always hoping you'll have found the answer because the audio on the DS4 is magical!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

To avoid causing more chair and appliance chat, I’ll update you all on my Horizon TFW experience. I don’t know what happened in between me not digging the dlc and now but I’m so sucked into this. I’m loving everything about it and it’s reminding me of all the reasons why the base game is so special to me. The story and world they crafted is incredible. The backstories are brutal. Tragic and relentless but there’s always a very, very hopeful and human link through all of it. There is so much heart in this game. The gameplay alone would be fun even without everything around it but the way they ground you in the world as a real living character is so well done.

Infinite respect for GG developing a robot dinosaur game that somehow resonates with me this deeply.

I don’t expect it but if we get sequel news at E3, oh man oh god oh man oh god oh man

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

beep by grandpa posted:

What's the point of blocked scenes anyway. Yakuza 0 does this during sidestory bits where you have to play an arcade game. Ratchet & Clank 2016 did it during cutscenes but part of me wonders if they did that so people wouldn't upload it to youtube and get popped for copyright infringement on the movie, which had the same scenes. Other than that idgi. Doesn't Persona 5 do it for the entire game?

For some reason the last bits of Arkham Knight are blocked because a reveal literally everyone saw coming was too good to not be shared

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Samuringa posted:

For some reason the last bits of Arkham Knight are blocked because a reveal literally everyone saw coming was too good to not be shared

I always loved that the Arkham Knight marketing campaign hyped up the appearance of a BRAND NEW CHARACTER CREATED JUST FOR ARKHAM KNIGHT, and any Batman fan with half a brain saw the reveal coming from a mile away.

"Who could this character, that knows EVERYTHING about Batman, possibly beeeee?!?!?!!"
It's Jason Todd!
"Oh. Well why didn't you just do a different take on Under The Red Hood? That would have been a lot more interesting, and you could have played with expectations a lot more."

Still a pretty drat good Batman game, and one I made sure to pickup when I grabbed my PS4 earlier this year.
All 3 Rocksteady developed Batman games are exceptional. Couldn't get into Arkham Origins for some reason.

I'd love to see Rocksteady do a wildcard reveal of a new Batman game at E3 this year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think they're doing a Superman game

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/aerialseat/status/1004764538879655937

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 9, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The idea that the block flag will prevent streaming is even dumber because anyone who would stream to a significant number of people is using an external capture device.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

These are amazing :D

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had issues with the WC-40382-7 error code when buying items digitally despite all the card information being perfectly fine? My dad caved and bought his own console but he’s not able to actually purchase anything with any of his cards or via PayPal. Googled around and it seems like it’s an error which has been happening for years and Sony haven’t done anything to try and fix it besides telling people “just try again in a few days I guess???” which seems like pretty terrible customer service to me

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

Has anyone had issues with the WC-40382-7 error code when buying items digitally despite all the card information being perfectly fine? My dad caved and bought his own console but he’s not able to actually purchase anything with any of his cards or via PayPal. Googled around and it seems like it’s an error which has been happening for years and Sony haven’t done anything to try and fix it besides telling people “just try again in a few days I guess???” which seems like pretty terrible customer service to me

Yeah, I had to link my paypal account because it stopped taking my card directly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Escobarbarian posted:

It happens and the only thing you can do is buy digital money cards and try every couple of weeks to see if it randomly starts letting you use your credit card/PayPal again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

veni veni veni posted:

The Xbone controller will really make you appreciate how good the DS4's headphone compatibility is.

I've heard this before. What's the issue with how the xbone controller handles it? Audio quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rinkles posted:

I've heard this before. What's the issue with how the xbone controller handles it? Audio quality?

A lot of headphones just straight up don't work. I've yet to find one that's reliably compatible.