Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Actually, Ubi makes one good game (Assassins Creed 2) all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

PT was good for what it was but you're kidding yourself if you think it would survive being stretched out to 8+ hours.
I'll hazard the guess that they would've added more mechanics and areas for a longer game. PT stretched out to 8 hours might not have looked too dissimilar from RE7, at least in basic FPS mechanics. What blew me away with PT was the audio/visuals and controls working together to give a sense that you were occupying a human body rather than a bobbing camera on wheels -- something that RE7 clearly drew from. Also the horror was legitimately good and scary in a Silent Hill-ish way, relying more on a creeping sense of horror than jump scares and physical threats. I'm glad Resident Evil is back, but it leaves a Silent Hill-shaped hole in my heart. Silent Hills would've been fuckin great and I still hope Kojima makes a horror game at some point.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

I didn't get that impression from RE7, but I was playing it in VR. From what I saw of the prerendered cinematics (where the VR backs out to cinema mode) there are a lot of effects that get silently disabled in the name of comfort.

Yeah, I've been going back and forth and TV mode has a very different look and feel. It's in TV mode that the game echoes PT.

I'm not sure which mode I prefer. TV mode is more comfortable and looks better and has all sorts of nice effects that make it feel like you're playing interactive found footage, which slots in well with the game's analog media motif. But the sense of presence in VR is so loving good.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Kojima said recently that it's not horror so wouldn't start expecting it to be SH with the numbers filed off.

It's gonna be MGS with the numbers filed off.

Kojima is itching to cross over into horror (see MGSV's missions 1 and 43), and Death Stranding has weird zombie soldiers and tentacle tanks, so who knows. He's said that he chose the military setting specifically because he wants it to do well in AAA market, and horror is generally niche, so I can see why he doesn't want to emphasize it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Sure you aren't thinking of "survival horror" which is a distinct subset of horror?

The very first survival horror game ends with you in possession of a flamethrower and grenade launcher, so that doesn't quite fit. IMO "survival horror" is an outdated marketing term useful in the 90's for describing how RE-style games were different from other games at the time, not a genre.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

If horror games are just "what scares you" then it's entirely subjective (which is also fine, I'm not trying to argue about it). In high school I had a friend who quit Halo at The Library because The Flood scared him so badly.

I still make fun of him to this day about it.

The Flood are a fine example of body horror, and the Library is dark and confusing in order to emphasize that horror. Genre elements can be mixed into works that don't generally fit that genre. I wouldn't call Halo a horror game, but you could definitely point to the Library and the introduction of the Flood as examples of horror.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

Those would have been wildly anachronistic in the Derceto Mansion from Alone In the Dark.

Isn't Resident Evil the game whose marketing coined the term? Of course RE has a lineage, but I thought that was the game that introduced the literal phrase "survival horror".

acksplode
May 17, 2004

NNick posted:

Comparing RE1 versus MGS2 is a good example. Those two games share far more in common gameplay wise than RE1 and RE7. They are both action games, fixed camera, tank controls, etc. If we only defined games by their gameplay, then either MGS2 is horror or RE1 is tactical espionage. Clearly, that doesn't work.

RE1 is more adventure game than action game, and MGS2 does not have a fixed camera or tank controls. Buddy what are you smoking

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Calling horror games horror games is like calling other games fun games, it can be accurate but tell you more about the impression they make rather than how they play.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

MGS2 has a rail-camera, like God of War. It's fixed in a way, but is definitely its own thing because of the corner peek. Goddamn, now you're reminding me how awesome the corner peek was as a gameplay mechanic in 1998.

It also has first-person!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

lol this is timely: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hideo-kojima-explains-why-hes-done-making-horror-g/1100-6447604/

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

This is loving hilarious. Now I'm just thinking of him constantly terrified for the last, uh, 15 years of making Silent Hill or whatever.

Kojima was never involved with Silent Hill. Silent Hills was supposed to be Konami reviving the series with a fresh creator and fresh ideas, instead of contracting yet another US developer to produce yet another bad imitation of SH2.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I enjoyed REvelations 2, enough to get to episode 4 at least. Which is when I got into a big scripted fight with several tough enemies and not enough ammo and no way to go back or get more and after 5 futile attempts I dropped that poo poo forever. Raid mode was cool but I didn't play REvelations 1 so I can't compare. 2/5

acksplode
May 17, 2004

There's Terraria, which is basically 2D Minecraft that plays like a platformer. If he's looking for more of the same style then that should fit the bill.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Alder posted:

Why is the PS4 store a huge pain to navigate around other than the front page? I just want to see the other listings and the search is terrible.

Because that way Sony can sell placement on all those stupid screens you have to skip through to game and movie publishers. Same reason you can't reorder video streaming apps in the main menu.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Darksign fire sword guy looks awesome

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

then vr owners would complain about their vr being broken

PSVR overrides your controller light setting and maxes out its brightness anyway. Could just turn it on too.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I blew through MGSV the week it came out and loved it, but the mission structure lends itself pretty well to the occasional 1-2 hour session. No need to play it start to finish. And it's not like there's much of a story to worry about losing track of.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I am by no means saying the new Zelda won't be good, but when people talk about it being so amazing looking I kind of can't help but wonder what specifically looks so amazing about it. Or is the concept of a new Zelda game the amazing part? I haven't seen anything too exciting in the videos they have shown. poo poo, the first video they showed literally nothing happened. Just link running around a totally barren last gen looking landscape for 2 minutes and everyone was like "WOAHHH HOLY poo poo MIND BLOWING!" It looks aight I guess.

It's a new Zelda that's inspired by the design of Zelda 1, which was way more open than even most modern open world games. And Nintendo doesn't jump on genre bandwagons without doing novel things with them (online shooter: Splatoon, RTS: Pikmin, etc.), so this has the prospect of being an open world fantasy RPG where the world and gameplay is actually interesting. Just knowing that Nintendo is making a game in a genre that I feel deserves much better than it usually gets is enough to make me hype.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Also part of my hype is that Zelda has become increasingly didactic and hand-holdy with every game, and BotW seems to move in totally the opposite direction. Skyward Sword is the only Zelda game I've picked up and never finished, I got so loving sick of all the instruction and tutorial poo poo. I don't think I made it much further than the first on-planet dungeon.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

if the master sword has durability i will be very salty

If it had durability, I'd think it would've already broken a few games ago. They'll probably bury you in low-to-medium durability weapons until you get the unbreakable Master Sword like halfway through, and it'll feel all badass and legendary and poo poo.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can't wait to play and buy--again--wiiu smash bros and Mario kart on the switch
This but unironically. Mobile Wii-U games is gonna be awesome. Can't wait til they port Mario Maker.

Idk, if you really like Nintendo games then the Switch release calendar is pretty exciting. Zelda at launch, Mario Kart 8 right after, Splatoon 2 this summer, and a new freakin Mario this winter. Not bad

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Takoluka posted:

People keep requesting this without thinking about how ridiculously unfun it would be to create levels in a Switch version.

Oh man it would suck so bad, being able to create levels anywhere using a nice capacitive touchscreen...?

bloodychill posted:

Mario Maker is on 3DS.

Without online sharing, which is half of what makes the game great.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Snak posted:

It's basically about an MMO.

Or a really really big Hitman map.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The Silent Hill movie really did nail the look of the town and the monsters, I remember looking at production shots and salivating. Also the Pyramid Head redesign was great. Homecoming was smart to steal it. Shame about the screenplay though.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah the movie is mediocre-bordering-on-good up until that exposition dump, which vaults it straight into bad. Doesn't help that the exposition getting dumped on you is the same town-sacrifices-scapegoat-child-who-then-curses-town plot that so many horror movies have. It's this weird curse of the series that its central lore is pretty boring and the games are at their best when they ignore it. It would've been cool if the films became an anthology series that used the supernatural town as a launching point to tell other stories, like SH2.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

DigitalFoundry comparison videos in the OP might give people enough info to know whether it's worth the extra $100 without asking, this one's fine there's plenty of others

acksplode
May 17, 2004

baram. posted:

how loud is the ps4 pro compared to the launch consoles? the fans on my launch at some times get loud enough i can pick them up over my headset. shits louder than the space heater i use in here.

Doesn't seem any different from my launch model: quiet when it's chill and screaming when it's hot, and it's usually chill. The fans spin faster when the console is warmer so make sure there's no dust, plenty of ventilation, etc. My PS4 got much quieter when I took the back off my media cabinet and let it breathe.

Guillermus posted:

I've never played a Yakuza game. I've never seen gameplay of a Yakuza game before 0. Is it normal that I want to buy it just because of its silly humor and beat everything down?

Neither had I and you should buy it. It's great, like a lost classic PS2 game or something.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 17, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Everything is a MMO now, sorry.
All console games are open-world/MMO RPGs, all PC games are base-building survival games. FOrever

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

How is it any better, in layman's terms? :confused: Is its wired connection also better?

Launch PS4s shipped with a wireless antenna made out of aluminum foil and bubble gum. A wired connection is always, always, always better for gaming than wifi, regardless of how good your wifi is. Wifi is generally a poor choice for latency-sensitive applications, such as synchronous multiplayer games.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

That's the same perspective Virtua Tennis used, and I enjoyed plenty of local multiplayer with it. The balance was that you occasionally traded court position with your opponent.

Man I miss Virtua Tennis.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

How are subsistence missions different than the normal version other than you start with no stuff? I mean, you can choose to start any mission with no stuff if you want.

You teeeeechnically can't -- you have to take a pistol of some kind in a normal deployment. But yeah with some restraint you can play any mission like it's a subsistence mission. Just take a water pistol I guess.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

A Platinum licensed game is like a Matthew McConaughey romcom. You don't watch a trailer for the first season of True Detective and worry because that's the Wedding Planner guy.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Does anyone know if I can just pop my 2TB SSD from my normal PS4 into a new Pro without much fuss IE needing to download the games that are on it again?

Nope, PS4 hard drives are encrypted with a key tied to the specific console. To avoid downloading all your stuff again you'll need to do a system transfer or backup and restore. Either way you'll need a few hours and another hard drive.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Or if you have both PS4s on hand you can do it through LAN I believe.

Yeah that's the system transfer. Dude will need to either back up to a big external hard drive, move the internal drive to the new PS4, and then restore to the new PS4 from the external drive; or system transfer to the new PS4 with its own separate big internal hard drive.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

The poo poo goons will do to save 10 bucks is hilarious and stupid.

Doing all sorts of work/research and depriving yourself of joy to save a crisp fiver is the ultimate metagame

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's cool to talk about games when you're playing them along with everyone else. Zelda is about to totally gently caress up my PS4 gaming life, which means I'm not gonna get back to Nioh until anyone still playing it is on their Nth run and the chat is more about advanced strategies than noob stuff. Mild bummer.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

First person shooters are extremely boring.

*drops a Scorch on this post*

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I want to be interested in Persona 5, it looks cool as poo poo for a JRPG, but I think I'm just done with JRPGs as a genre. I'm having to drag myself through Nier:A despite enjoying the combat and story. I just can't put up with fetch quests and grinding and constrained exploration in static worlds anymore. Classic FF-style turn-based battle is not appealing at all (though I did really like how later FF 12 and 13 overhauled battle mechanics). I loved JRPGs as a kid and looking back I'm pretty sure I was putting up with all their trappings because they were the only genre of game that was capable of building a world and telling a sprawling story within it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Unreal_One posted:

My problem with the super open exploration of BotW is it kind of made everything feel... flat. You're never actually in a canyon; you're a gust, endura shroom, or tedious climb away from the top.

Also, the cooking made the difficulty more "How much do you like pressing the same button combo, over and over and over" than actually skill based. I mean, Zelda games are rarely hard, but they do at least limit your healing. I'd much rather they halved the damage the big guys do, and make it so you can't carry 40+ full heals.

It's a great game, but I wish I understood why people feel it's the best game ever.

For me it comes down to how BotW puts player agency front and center and never compromises it for anything. It's astounding that a 40-100 hour game works so well with absolutely no rails after the opening hours. Being able to truly go anywhere and do anything in any order or not at all makes it fundamentally different from other games that are supposedly in the same genre. Your brain is doing completely different things when it's parsing a physical environment on its own and deciding what it wants to explore vs. following checkpoints and collecting icons to push the story forward. The former feels like freedom in an open world and the latter feels like I'm a rat being given pellets in exchange for navigating parts of a maze. There's no other game that comes close to pairing so much freedom with so much fun, which is why a month after beating it I still can't shake the feeling that it's the best game I've ever played in my life.

I finished Nier: Automata a couple days ago and I'm glad I did, but post-Zelda it was hard to find motivation to keep playing. The story is loving cool though, I'd advise anyone with doubts about the gameplay to play it on easy and ignore sidequests and just get through it.

Bought Horizon last night but I'm putting off starting because I still feel spoiled by BotW and I'd like to give it a fair chance to impress me. Gonna keep playing Yakuza 0 until that feeling passes. Nothing could spoil me on enjoying Yakuza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Transformers had better combat than Nier.