Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
HZD is a hard game to get back into when you're out of its rhythm. I'm finally going through the Frozen Wilds but feel totally inept at anything other than slinging bombs around so far. Had to drop the difficulty back down just to re-learn how to be efficient at combat again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

The game gets significantly better when you get a shotgun

This is true of any video game.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Just put this poo poo in the title, it comes up all the time.

PlayStation4: Play all the Uncharteds but play Uncharted 1 on easy. Play Bloodborne too or else you will be shamed. But Titanfall 2 is better than both so play that as well. And The Last of Us both singleplayer and multiplayer and yes the ending can be ambiguous but only if your a dummy but yes, the early look at TLoU2 does suck. gently caress Ted Faro. Kojima! Ueeeedddaaaaaa!!!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Route C owns. It's maybe 6 hours or so? You might want to clear out a good chunk of time before you start it, it opens with a bang and never really lets up until the end.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

TLG is wonderful and ohhhh boy am I not going to be happy when/if my big precious Trico bites it.

e: I wasn't all that interested in the SotC remake but getting into TLG and watching some videos has got me very excited. There's no way it can recreate the experience of playing it for the first time or its mysterious feel (aided much by the limitations of making that game run on the PS2) but it still looks pretty great. I can only remember about 4 of the Colossi at this point so it'll be fun to rediscover them again.

el oso fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 2, 2018

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Can Bluepoint remaster Revengeance next? It's :krad: and the final boss has added significance in today's climate.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I want to say the Silent Hill series games but they were so loving good as they were that the advanced technology probably wouldn't improve them now.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Rest is best.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I got into BB not long after launch, got through CB and FG but put it down for whatever reason and by the time I tried to get back into it I felt intimidated again and sold it. Watched ENB's excellent LP of it, read a ton of extra lore but still felt ashamed for never having actually completed it - so I bought it again last night.

Oh well. Time to beat you - I will not submit again!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

EB has had deals in the past where you could trade in your old PS4 and pay $200-$250 to upgrade to Pro, so if you're patient maybe that'll pop up again.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I finally played What Remains of Edith Finch this week. Really lovely game, very creative, surprising and affecting at times. I'm not sure that I like its ending yet - it feels like it fits the game's theme but it doesn't feel that satisfying right now.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I remember renting SH1 as a little kid not really knowing what to expect. I nope'd out so hard after getting swarmed by the demon kids in the otherworld in the first 5 minutes and returned it immediately.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Tiiirrriiiicccooooooo!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The biggest problem with Rise (outside of the dumb story and blah environments) was that they designed it as a giant collect-a-thon. Literally everywhere you looked were crafting materials or coins or scrolls or crates or animals, etc. etc. Half your time was spent picking up things instead of being immersed in the world.

The first game had some of this too but they went nuts with it in Rise and I'm really hoping they tone it down for Shadow.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The best song from Sleeping Dogs is clearly From Xikou With Love but it's ok if y'all are wrong sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_QvbKCaDxo

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

ACO is pretty great and I'm really enjoying my time with it. It looks fantastic, the combat is better, the voice acting is well done and most of the main quests & side quests are good, and I like that some mundane-seeming ones turn into an interesting series.

Still, there is way too loving much to do and while the map clutter doesn't stress me out, it does make me wish they had reduced the amount of bland content and spent more time on coming up with inventive scenarios & options for the major assassinations.

Syndicate had some elaborate assassination missions but that's pretty much the only game in the series to try that. In nearly every game the most efficient method is to just go to the high ground, jump down on your target, then run away. Sure, you COULD track your target and find a couple of interesting ways to take them down but there's not much incentive in investing the time to do it. Either making more interesting assassination settings or providing significant rewards for being stealthy/creative would help.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Yep. Rely on dodging on any difficult fight and you'll get through them fairly easily. It's an amazing game so don't give up.

You don't want to miss out on the wonderful sounddtrack, do you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWe5SreU8tI

el oso fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 13, 2018

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

drat it, put the boat in spoilers!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

God of War is really good and fun. Only minor gripe is that the combat is too simple at the start but it definitely makes up for it once you start unlocking skills.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'm not sure if there is an effect I've ever liked more than the THHHWAP of pulling the axe back to Kratos. It's so satisfying every time.

The combat can get really fun as you go on as well. It's kind of frustrating for the first couple of hours because it's hard to crowd control. But as you progress you can start off with a big runic attack to soften enemies up then toss your axe into a dude to freeze him while you go ham on another guy with your fists while getting stun damage from Atreus' arrows until you do a finisher and then pull your axe back into a spinning splash into another runic attack and then go RAGE MODE is cool and makes me feel cool in a video game.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

enojy posted:

Playing God of War a whole lot since :420:release:420: and while it was pretty drat good up until today, I just reached Helheim. Anyone else who's made it to Helheim knows wHY HELLLLL YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH

I just got there tonight. gently caress yeah. Game gets better and better. All those 10/10 reviews don't seem so ridiculous now and not even finished yet.

It's definitely a game you can nitpick on and find fault with but if it clicks with you it's really a tremendous experience.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Where the hell is my Mass Effect Trilogy remaster??

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I liked how an innocuous-sounding quest in Route C all of a sudden gets all hosed up and kicks off the end game sequence. You're just all noooo I'm not ready for this and then things get really dark for the next hour and then nothing feels good again until the E ending.

Ah, Route E :allears:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I have been looking forward to VG's post after finishing E for so long and you did not disappoint. Glad you enjoyed it so much - your experience matches mine so well.

I still can't believe one of the most emotional moments in a game I've ever experienced was a drat credits scene. I didn't play the original NieR so didn't know a choice like that might be coming so it was so surprising and effective. And that music. It's all wrapped up in a brilliant way.

e: Treasured Times still kills me when it pops up.

el oso fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 6, 2018

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

fit em all up in there posted:

For those of you who play the Telltale Walking Dead games, if you preorder the final season you’ll also get the Walking Dead collection which comes with:
Season One
Season Two
A New Frontier
400 Days
Michonne Mini Series

The collection goes for $50 otherwise.

Pre-order from where?

Also:
https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/1007483308047888384

I'm so glad that someone like Kojima continues to get a lot of money to turn his thoughts into reality.

el oso fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 15, 2018

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Off the PSN. Check it out on the Store/website.

That's a really great deal if you like the Telltale TWD series. Thanks!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

There's no colon in Horizon Zero Dawn you goddamn goons!!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

No.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

That boss fight with Ellie in the restaurant still freaks me the gently caress out each subsequent playthrough. I don't know why but that section gets to me bad.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

DOOM rules and you can knock it out in like 12-14 hours.

HZD rules as well but will be at least a 30+ hour game.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Hellblade was quite an experience. I can certainly see people having issues with the game and its relatively shallow gameplay but if you can get into it it's an intense ride. Really impressed with the game's visuals for how small the dev team was.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Check out VG's big post when he finished NieR a while ago and all the responses to it. It's good.

My favourite fun fact - the lyrics to the songs are nonsense and not in any real language. NieR owns.

And pretty much any article on the music is worthwhile.

Also, plus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDL3Q86ofY

el oso fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 5, 2018

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I still haven’t dared go back to that second Cyberdemon phase haha. Any advice besides “don’t get hit”? I only have the one BFG shot you get during the fight because I didn’t know there’d be a second part :(

This is pretty much the only time in the game where (if you don't have enough BFG ammo) you need to actually slow down a bit from all the RIP AND TEAR. Pay attention to the attack patterns and avoid them, shooting in between. It just takes a little more patience than any other part of DOOM.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

DOOM owns.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Looking forward to Spider-Man, you guys.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I am going to play RDR2 for a million hours

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

2009: Uncharted 2, Arkham Asylum, CoD:MW2, RE5, SFIV, New SMB, rear end Cred 2, Demon's Souls, DA:O, inFAMOUS, Prototype, Halo ODST, Borderlands, L4D2, Braid, Shadow Complex, Beatles Rock Band, 50 CENT BLOOD ON THE SAND.

Gonna go with UC2 there but Arkham is close.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

2016 y'all: DOOOOOOOOOM, Uncharted 4, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, The Witness, Firewatch, Hitman, BF1, FFXV, DS3, No Man's Sky, Superhot, Last Guardian, Rez Inf, Watch_Dogs 2, SF5, Inside, Witcher 3: Blood & Wine, Oxenfree, Thumper.

Pretty great year, I love a good amount of those games. I might have to go with DOOM though, what a loving blast.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'm gonna miss out on 2017 tomorrow and it's a phenomenal year (HZD, Y0, Persona 5, Prey, Hellblade, AC:O, Cuphead, RE7, PUBG, Breath of the Wild, What Remains of Editch Finch).

Going to go with NieR Automata. Outisde of the MGS series, I've never had a game stick with me as much as this has. I know the gameplay can be lacking but the story is so impactful and the E ending is absolutely transcendent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Spider-Man owns, owns good.