Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The graphics in TLoU2 are pretty unbelievable in motion - I just stopped playing when you get to the forest about 2 hours in and the environment & lighting looked absolutely phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

TLOU2 is very, very good. I didn't read the leaks but had some concerns about the need to continue the story and some of the previews shown but so far (about 15 hours in) it has been a hell of an experience.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

They certainly took parts from LL that they liked and put them into TLoU2 - the first open area in the game is just like the way they did LL, especially the map.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

DKR was great in the theatre if only for Hans Zimmer

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Free Ghost of Tsushima dynamic theme:
5NEC F9N4 75M8

It's probably going to be a fun game and I look forward to playing it when it's $30

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Odyssey has Kassandra and she is by far the best AC protagonist

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The next game I'll play after TLOU2 is TLOU2 again but I need like a month break between

snipe
https://i.imgur.com/cheMXU7.mp4

el oso fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 14, 2020

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

Where do people get these last of us gifs? Are they made 3rd party in some rendering engine?

Please tell me Naughty Dog made like a Last of Us bloopers reel.

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1273827860755537921

https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/1273832364246884352

https://twitter.com/evan_wells/status/1273828558801010688

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Days Gone does rule, not afraid to say it. Deke and the Boozeman are basically Oskar and Itzhak from Schindler's List

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

That Gotham Knights gameplay video made it look pretty terrible

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Fall Guys is fun and cool to play

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

ShineDog posted:

Days gone is entiredly saved by Sam witwers performance as the hero.

It has an enormous focus on the hero having dialogue for everything. Everything! Baffling amounts of comments on things you drive by and how fights are going and all kinds of stuff, to the point of it being almost farcical how he never, ever shuts up.

And its not a very good script. It's the kind of script that old comic writers do where the line looks fine on a page but could never be delivered by a sane human. Too many words, too verbose about simple things, wierd missing contractions that sound unnatural.

Witwer saves it by delivering it like he's about on the verge of a breakdown, just absolutely losing his poo poo when he hears a bad conspiracy theory or has to craft a bandage.

I don't believe that was the intention with the script at all as written but it's good fun.

Yeah he flips his poo poo and goes from 0 to 100 on so many of his lines, it's pretty entertaining.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

FF7R was such a feelgood game. It was a nice escape in this POS year

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Playing through the Arkham series again and it's help up pretty well. The first game is a really tight experience and I don't any of the sequels quite match it its quality. The Riddler trophies went from a fun way to extend Asylum to just overwhelming you in City (440!) The "remasters" make the environments look pretty great but the character models look pretty shabby.

And boy in general the character designs...real bunch of thicc bois hanging out in Gotham back then. BEEFY

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

If I had my druthers in order I would wait until holiday 2021 to get a PS5 because that's around when Horizon/RE8 will be available and it really doesn't look like any other exclusive is worth owning a PS5 until then (I'm not a FROM guy). And there's zero chance Ragnarok is actually coming out in 2021.

But I don't have my druthers in order so my pre-order is already in.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

This is a bummer. There's so much inconsistency with the PS5 upgrades, it's all over the map

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

hey what's going on in h

https://i.imgur.com/zY4nMWU.mp4

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I've noticed that too. Have a ton of indies in my wishlist and they don't seem to go on sale much recently and when they do the discounts are fairly weak

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Mostly wrapped up replaying the Arkham series tonight with the main story in Arkham Knight. I remember being not super impressed with the game the first time through but I like it a lot more now. It still looks fantastic, the voice cast is great, the story is nice and focused, the fully-upgraded traversal options make moving around feel amazing, the dual team fights are fun, and you just have a huge amount of options in combat/predator sequences that helps keep it fresh through the whole game. The major side quests are fun and varied enough, and the Riddler trophies are not as absolutely egregious as they were in Arkham City. The way Joker is incorporated works well too and Mark Hamill is such a treasure, although he could probably be at least 20% or so less present.

The negatives are still there though, for sure. #1 being the way they use the Batmobile. The Batmobile is actually a ton of fun to drive around, it controls really well, I liked using it in the puzzles, it sounds cool and both calling it in and ejecting from it feels awesome in a Batman-y way - but there's just way too much combat with it, the stealth tank sections suck rear end, and the Riddler races are lame and frustrating. The reveal of who the Arkham Knight is is both really obvious (if you're at all familiar with Batman stuff) and relatively out of nowhere (in the game). The controls can still be pretty finicky at times and although I like all the combat options there can just be too much going on sometimes in the fights.

The whole package has a ton of content now with all of the DLC added - I think I have at least another 5 hours to go to take on all the extra mission and looking forward to finishing that. Unfortunately Gotham Knights doesn't quite excite me - logically it makes sense to focus on the non-Batmens characters if you want to drive this story forward but seeing enemies with levels and damage hit points makes me wary, especially when you show a battle against Mr Freeze (who had one of the most memorable boss battles in the series) and there doesn't seem to be any uniqueness to it. But I know I'll be playing it eventually anyway! All in all it is a pretty great series and it help up well replaying it all in the last few months.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'll be shocked if Far Zenith doesn't play a significant part in Horizon 2 or 3, it's a cool hook that they can be really creative with

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

They're going to spend more money in Uncharted on making it look like 5 foot Tom Holland can beat people up than they did making him actual Spider-Man

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Divided Man Dink

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I forgot how bad the Prey loading times were. For whatever reason towards the end of the game the areas took so long to load and you had to do a ton of moving around the map right near the end

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

So on the cusp of the PS5 I am thinking that the PS4 is probably my favourite console - either that or the SNES. There has just been a ton of high quality games and lots of interesting indie experiences too. I tried making a list and not all of these are PS4-only obviously but my breakdown goes something like this, in close to a descending order:

Absolutely Loved
NieR:Automata (despite all its flaws, probably the game I just love the most and think about most often)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (again, there are flaws but I love its deliberate, slow nature, the world it built, how you interacted and spent time with the gang, and didn't really have any issues with the controls)
The Last of Us 2 (technical masterpiece with great storytelling and I was totally fine with the decision for the 2nd half of the game and the long ending(s))
FF7R (just a delight after so many years of speculation and expectation, the combat system was super fun and the characters and especially the VA was excellent)
Spider-Man (a total joy to play)
Uncharted 4 (was a technical marvel when it came out, I enjoyed the story and the enhanced stealth leading into run 'n gun gameplay - Lost Legacy was great too)  
Witcher 3 (enough has been said about my man Geralt)  
God of War (there might not be a more satisfying game mechanic/sound than the axe THWOMPING back into your hand - other stuff was pretty pretty good as well)
Journey (a minimalist delight, incredible visual design and soundtrack)  
Titanfall 2 (superb SP campaign with one of the most memorable levels of all time)
Firewatch (I don't get tired of playing through this game, I do it at least once a year - it's gorgeous and has a unique setting, wonderful VA)
Life is Strange (all of'em - they're clunky and the dialogue can miss pretty hard sometimes but they're so drat earnest and endearing)
DOOM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9GaIbECisQ)

Loved
Control (I love the environment and setting so much, but it can also be a pretty frustrating game at times)
Horizon Zero Dawn (really excellent combat and main story, cookie cutter open world and side missions didn't add much to the game) (there also isn't a : in the game name)  
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (mostly for Kassandra, one my of favourite lead characters, too much Ubisoft open world stuff going on)
Hellblade (simplistic but powerful experience)
Night in the Woods (stuff outside the game colours my thoughts about this but it was otherwise a charming and compelling experience)
What Remains of Edith Finch (fun and surprising game, short but memorable)
Inside (bleak but engaging, great visuals and atmosphere)
Metal Gear Solid V (phenomenal gameplay, a mess everywhere else)
Until Dawn (really fun to play through an 80's slasher/monster flick)
Alien: Isolation (too long, but really intense and a great homage to the movie)
Prey (amazing amount of ways to explore the game, cool story and setting, some frustrating game decisions and glitching)
Final Fantasy XV (total mess of a game but had enough charming parts and a surprisingly affecting ending)

Special Mentions
Game I Respect As The Best PS4 Game That I Love Watching Other People Play But Don't Really Enjoy Playing Myself: Bloodborne
Games I Love But Haven't Finished: Celeste, Death Stranding, Undertale
Games I Think I Will Love But Haven't Played Yet: Divinity 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Obra Dinn, Outer Wilds, Persona 5, RE7
Games I Do Not Care For Despite This Thread: Yakuza
Games I Haven't Played That Likely Show Up On Best-Of Lists But I Still Won't Like: Monster Hunter, Overwatch
Games That Are GTA5: GTA5

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

PS4 thread v good, PS5 thread vv bad

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'm thinkin bout those bugsnax quite a lot

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Finished up the plat for Miles Morales tonight, game owns. Started thinking about the proper Spider-Man sequel and how that would work - a Peter/Miles story seems awesome but how would they deal with the skills progression? Then thinking about sequels in general - skill progression is a staple in games but how will they explain Peter/Miles needing to level up so much in their next game? What about Kratos and Aloy? Unlocking skills/moves is a huge driver in most games so how will they get around that?

e: snipe

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'm waiting a while to get CP2077 but I am greatly enjoying posts about the glitches

https://twitter.com/BioDomeWithPS/status/1338232726877515778

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Has anyone ever found out what made those souls dark or...??

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

THERE THEY ARE, ALBERT - FACES OF GROAN

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

SOMA rules and doesn't really have many jump scares - it's more an oppressive feeling of dread at all times and a few times where you need to avoid a monster guy. I actually enjoyed it more with the Safe Mode on so I could explore at my leisure but still knowing scary things were out there

You can also kick off a 3 page argument about SOMA's story if you post once you finish it, so there's that to consider

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The Firestorm Revolver in Rage 2 was a really fun gun to use

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

With the number of crazy twists in that game I legit expected there to be a reveal why she had such comically large breasts. Like she was hiding robots in there or something

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Finally picked up DOOM Eternal. It's good to get back into ripping and tearing and while it does seem the main criticisms are true - ridiculous story/lore, frustrating platforming and constant juggling in combat between resources - it's still drat fun and intense.

There were really only a few times in the last game where I thought a fight was really tough but practically every arena in this one leaves you desperate for health/ammo/armor at various times but that's obviously the experience id wants you to have. They clearly spell out that you need to be moving at all times in these games but it feels like you are a lot weaker in Eternal and that you're running away vs moving around strategically.

I like it a lot but feeling like a fragile Doomguy is kind of lame

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

There's a few indie-ish games in the sale that I've got on my psprices list. Would anyone recommend picking these games up?

Haven
Journey to the Savage Planet
The Occupation
The Pedestrian
Streets of Rage 4 just kiddin, I just bought it :getin:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Yeah, if you have at least 2 characters with sentry guns in every fight in 13 Sentinels it's pretty difficult to lose any of the battles. The only relatively challenging part of the combat is juggling the characters so you can get the S rank and bonus objectives without interrupting your win streak but since you can replay any battle even that's easy to get around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I used to get real excited when any games got a 5.0 rating