Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I guess time to move into this thread as currently I pretty much only paint / play Blood Bowl.

Finished a bunch of beastmen for my Slaanesh themed Chaos Blood Bowl team. Just the warriors left to do now, and can move to the next project.

Edit: Holy poo poo I need some better way to take photos because mobile phone pics with window light sure come out different.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Mr. Squishy posted:

Sure, claw's a great skill on a mino, but extra arms??

Minos are really good ball carriers, but have to get them the ball somehow! (No I wouldnt actually take that mutation, unless the guy is somehow really maxed out.)

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

glitchkrieg posted:

That's looking really, really nice. I swear I asked you about this before but can't seem to find the post - what's the recipe for the skin? I want to do something similar with a Chaos Champion I'm hopefully going to finish assemble on over the weekend. Warpfiend Grey -> Wash -> Slaanesh Grey?

One of the people at my club swears by Minos as ball carriers, but he's somebody that also rolls an annoying amount of 6s...

Yep the colours are grey basecoat, Warpfiend -> Druchii violet wash -> Warpfiend cleanup -> Slaanesh grey -> tiny amount of thin Dheneb stone to finish it off.
They look nice in person (my humble oppinion), somehow on photos they look like rear end, but I guess thats zoom and stuff...

Last year's league I played in, had a guy with a mino ball carrier. He did everything in his power to get him the ball (and well he gave him all touchbacks) and the thing became a real beast(sic) thanks to the extra SPPs.
Of course it also became a prized target that could not escape the wrath of 5-6 pairs of steel caped boots whenever it went down. Persistence and some lucky rolls made sure he would only play for undead teams in the future.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Marmaduke! posted:

After standing in the same square for three turns due to its roar roll.

Also, £38 Deathloler

Plus new troll, much more reasonable. GW getting worse and worse at taking photos of their models for their store, what is it doing with its left arm..?

That troll is not a bad model, but as with most of GWs latest stuff it feels too busy. I bet thats why you can check out poo poo in 360 view on GWs webpage, because from the simple images you cant make out what the gently caress is going on with that model.

I like the colour scheme.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 25, 2017

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Leperflesh posted:

But on the pitch, the neutral pose doesn't imply a specific action, which makes it better to me as a game piece. He could block, or he could just move, or he could try a TTM action, and you won't see anything incongruous about that mini being the piece doing that action.

In fact, being a troll, most likely it will just stand there anyway without tackle zones doing jackshit so the model is accurate. Hurr hurr...

I agreed about the ball argument, being a bit of an oldschool player someone with the ball signifies a thrower for me. Same as weird leaning forward /running poses mean blitzers, standing ones mean blockers, and dudes trying to catch something are... catchers.

Altho I admit when I convert a non BB figure to use with BB I sometimes toss a ball in their hand to make them look more like Blood Bowl players.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Holy shite GW

https://www.facebook.com/219720111727104/photos/rpp.219720111727104/423909734641473/

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Edit: Really interested if they are only going to release full teams, or boosters as well. Say Skaven mutants, which are still missing from my collection.
Also need some extra catcher for my 3rd edition human team. Which makes me wonder what are considered classic teams? 3rd eidition? 4th? Will 5th be included?

Edit2: Quote is not Edit...

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

MrFlibble posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/18/blood-bowl-made-to-order-2/

Wood elves, Halflings, Ogres and Vampires coming for made to order. I called two of these before going to warhammerfest but i've got to say I did not see ogres coming - and vampires were only slightly more likely than them.

Whelp, I completed my vampire team last week. Might grab a treeman, as its missing from my collection.
Ogres? Wonder what they will cost, if 42 euros like full teams, might be even interesting.

Vampires, Ogres, Necro all 5th edition teams. How about made to order for Nurgle and Khemri?

By the way, nice match report glitchkrieg. I'm also playing a necro team in a league right now, and I'm getting absolutely smashed to bits.
My dice just don't cooperate in this league, my last match was vs Skaven and I couldn't break armor, or well not from blocks, he got 3 BHs but all 3 from failed dodges.
I caused 0 casualties the whole match. Meanwhile in the last turn he killed my lvl 2 flesh golem, failed regen. No money to buy a new one.

THATS BLOOD BOWL! (need to make a gif)

Edit:

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 20, 2017

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

nesbit37 posted:

When are those made to order teams going up for sale? Do they always put them up on the same day after the announcement or something?

Announcement says "If you’re interested, make sure to get these models while you can next week – they’ll be available for one week only!"
All previous made to orders went up on a weekend I think? So I would assume that means 24th-25th.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Well I played my next game in the league vs Lizards and I got absolutely fuckin demolished again.
All the bloody die rolls are against me all the time.
I broke armor TWICE the whole game. Meanwhile my opponent killed (for good) my lvl 2 Wight, and BHed my remaining flesh golem. Failed every regen roll as well. He rolled Blitz! every kick off when I was on offense.
At one point I had 3 players on the field, and only 1 came back from KO after his TD. But even then he rolled Blitz! again.

He had two level ups, he rolled a 10 and an 11 on his skinks. I rolled a 3 on my WW.

I love this game!

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Shadin posted:

My friends and I just finished a mini league and I needed to beat the Lizard team to win with my orcs. I'm going to really have to work on my strategy with them, because between his huge dinosaurs and those drat skinks running all over the place I got pretty trounced. This was my first foray into Blood Bowl though so I'm sure I'm n00bing all over the field.

Ours is a long league, which is now an issue for me. I killed at least 1 player on each of my my first 3 matches, which quickly inflated my TV, and had to let go a bunch of zombies when I got money for my second golem. And of course next match golem got killed, and in the one after my wight. I'm out of gold, players and basically no SPP apart from a single WW.
The league is 2 Chaos Dwarf, 2 Dwarf, 2 Lizard, Norse, Skaven, Dark Elf and me.
Was seeking a break from the league and agreed to a friendly match today playing Pro Elves and my opponent graciously bringing Chaos fuckin dwarves against me. Yaaaay!
Will let ya know how that went.

Edit: Pro Elves vs Chaos Dwarves 3-1 (enjoyed the game but did get 4 BHs)

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 24, 2017

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I finished painting my Necromantic BB team for now (still missing 2 ghouls tho) so decided its time to show them off in all their rotten glory.
I present the Drakenhof Dead meat

The Positionals:

The Zombies:

The Support Staff:

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I had a short wargame burnout after finishing this years local Blood Bowl league, but today's black friday sales got me to buy some stuff from my local store.
First of all Shadespire seems to be the new shite around me and I have friends grabbing copies who didn't touch any figures for 10 years. So went for an undead box for something like $17, even if we play the thing twice, thats basically 2 movie tickets here without popcorn and coke. Sculpts are great, and mechanics sound simple like a wooden wedge, and game length also said to be under 30 mins, first game expected tomorrow.

I also bought Necromunda, mainly because I possess 3 original gangs and got hit by an awful sense of nostalgia, secondly I'm hoping the "2D" version can be quicker and simpler to get some games done with friends.

If nothing else I got new stuff to paint which is always great (or more reason to paint my old gangs, you know how it is...)

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Looks like I should feel lucky that the nearest brick and mortar GW store is 240 km away in a different country.
Here retailers also sell all GW stuff about 20% cheaper than the online store, and that price is whats gets discounted with special promotions (black friday 20% off and now xmas sale 15% off on everything until Dec 31st)

Finally I feel sort of privileged, after suffering through the 90s where we had only 1 store in the whole country selling pewter drug in the shape of miniatures. Then early 2000s my country was somehow blacklisted on the GW online store, which meant that every order had to be done over the phone. You had to write down all 10-12 digit product codes one by one from the webstore and recite them to the friendly GW employee while every minute of the call to the UK cost us about a quid and wait while they try to charge your bankcard holding the line. Its a miracle this hobby somehow survived here.

Edit: Oh yeah I'm really pissed about the Blood Bowl Almanac, normally I wouldn't mind it, sure let people buy DZ 1-2 in a single book, but because of the exclusive content added to it I feel like I have to buy a book for 40 euros while I already posses 90% of its content.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 2, 2017

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

If you get an Escher sprue where the flame coming from the chem thrower has broken off, as seems to be common, contact GW. A friend just received two replacements. It's the first time I've heard of them breaking up a sprue for a replacement part.

I've received mine with one of the whips broken. I wonder if its worth the effort to complain.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Mugaaz posted:

Those Lumineth are some of the biggest duds in recent memory.

Not only they look bored and boring, but they look like their designer was also bored with them, and hated every moment working on them.

Slaaneshi ones own tho, except the archer one, that's the weakest link there (Yet still beats all Lumineth).

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Has anyone tried out the Underworlds Arena Mortalis expansion yet? Considering picking it up as I want an extra board anyways.

Did not play the actual game mode, but there are some decent cards in it, if that matters to you!

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

food court bailiff posted:

What are considered "good" warbands? I have Ironsoul's Condemnors and the wraiths from the Dreadfane box, as well as Mollog's Mob and Thundrikk's Profiteers (who are the biggest freaking PITA to paint with all their overhangs and stuff, they look drat cool though). I haven't really played much with the latter two but the wraiths so far seem like a pretty great crew.

The game is much easier now that I've 3d printed little nameplates for everyone. It's hard to remember who can use which cards when everyone is an identical ghost or armored behemoth that only varies by their pose.

Wraith's were competitive for sure for a while, not sure about now. I've been playing Zarbag's Gitz on a lot of competitions, and placed in top 4 all the time (out of 16+), and yeah they look fun and are fun to play, they are strong at control-objective play, scoring 10+ Glory in a single end phase is always hilarious. Beat Condemnor's with them multiple times last weekend. I didn't play as much in Beastgrave as I wanted, but top teams used to be Rippa's, Briar Queen, Hrothgorn, Saekth's and Grymwatch before the planet and events went to hell. It all depends on your local meta tho. (Thundrik's and Cursebreakers used to be top in Nightvault.)

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

So any of your MESBG goons managed to grab any of the limited availability minis yesterday? I hear NZ and US stores sold out in minutes.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

It took almost a year (of not painting it) to finish the "crown jewel" of my Isengard army.

Building an army worthy of Mordor!

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Roadmap for Direchasm is up. If I'm reading it right, it looks like

Jan: Slaves to Darkness
Feb: Lizardmen
March: Vampires?
April: Savage orcs?
May: Ossiarch Bonereapers
June: Idoneth

April: Forest goblins?

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

E. Nesbit posted:

Blood Bowl is good and fun, but sometimes I get mad at it.

Thanks, hope you enjoyed reading!

I play Blood Bowl basically on and off since 1996, and I have all but 2 teams 3-4-5 edition, so I might be a bit biased.
Blood Bowl is fun especially in a league, even if you get your teeth kicked in, but you will sometimes beg for a match to just end already.
BB can be punishing, heartbreaking, awesome, just sheer fun.

Also I made a gif in 2017 just for this thread:

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

chin up everything sucks posted:

Next league I want to play vampires.

Vampires no longer have Blood Lust, instead they get (the new version of) Wild Animal now. Which changes the whole team significantly.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Yep, they updated the Teams of Legend. Download from the Warhammer Community website here and despair.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Zaphod42 posted:

But removing the chance to "feed on a spectator" is huge, and also not feeding after you move changes everything.

Not killing your own thralls is awesome. Except that the vampires move (and pass) on a 4+ now, which is hosed up.

(I believe this change made them worse.)

Also staying on topic, I never posted my vamps here from the Oath thread so:

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Jolo posted:

I'm new to Blood Bowl and have only been playing the video game version so far. I've noticed that sometimes a game will end early if I'm ahead but not always. The last game I played I was up 2-0 and had the final turn but still had a chance to play out that final turn even though there was no changing the outcome of the game. Is that just there to possibly injure the other team's players for spp?

Yep! We call it "the bonus round" where you can try to bash some skulls in ,and I always attempt a pass usually on my player who only needs 1 SPP for a level up. (And then you get a Blitz! event)

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Are Warbands retired between "seasons" of Underworld? I have a starter with the Briarqueen but don't see any of the warbands released around the same time anymore
Grabbed the Online game and figured I'd mess with the physical game as well while I wait for my Epic models to get to me

Only the Universal cards and old boards rotate out (of competitive play). Old warbands and warband specific cards stay playable. Briar is one of the most competitive warbands to this date, Varclav the Cruel's ability has been changed so he can only use it once a Round, and its still an amazing warband.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Crackbone posted:

Delays happen, that's fine.

I just want to note here that due to Brexit the distributor of my country (Hungary) did not receive any shipments from GW from December till mid March, just when we went into full lockdown and all shops had to close.
This means that even tho I ordered all WHU warbands (and a few other things) released this year, I got non of them yet. Distributor says the packages were all stuck in a warehouse in Germany and both them and GW called them daily to move things along. Then everything seemed to SORT OF normalize in April, I happily ordered Cursed City hoping I will be able to pick it up with all the warbands and poo poo that must have came in since December, just to be called the other day and told that the shipment containing the Cursed City boxes did not arrive yet, so we have to wait a bit more. :suicide:

I just pre-ordered the Vamp warband an hour ago, fingers crossed I get my hands on these goodies before S5. I will have to rent a fuckin truck to haul everything home by that time.

P.S.: I ordered a blister of Barrow-wights straight from GW during all the above and it arrived in 5 (3 working) days...

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Schadenboner posted:

E: Underhive Informant confirms Klovis t. Redeemer to be included in House of Faith. :neckbeard:

Oh hell yeah, been waiting for this...

Also unless the sealed envelope in Cursed City that you are supposed to open after completing the last mission has a note that says "GET hosed", there will be expansions.

I highly doubt that after Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress which was a huge success, they announce "The Next Warhammer Quest", make it a limited run that sells out in seconds, and discontinue BSF at the same time.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

This makes no sense...

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Schadenboner posted:

@GamesWerkshop is a GW parody Twitter account that commonly gets posted as if it were actual GW?

I meant that the official Warhammer Community team says Cursed City will no longer be available online... it makes no sense! Why are they limiting this WHQ? Is there like any reason to do this? When it sold out in seconds? Will they make like a non limited version with different art? The hell is going on. Even Indomitus got an MtO so...

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Strobe posted:

"We are not expecting it to return online" means that it hasn't been announced and they aren't going to be the ones to announce it.

Everyone seriously needs to chill the gently caress out about Cursed City, you'd think the world was ending because the community team hasn't stuck their necks out to promise a product that they don't know will be available any time soon.

Oh I'm more about the communication clusterfuck and people running up and down about this. People have been panicking that GW "dropped support" for this game because there is no Cursed City article in the new WD... it's weird poo poo.
I got my copy so I'm not effected in any way, but the community team going ""We are not expecting it to return" instead of remaining silent or saying "We don't know" or "We have no information" is really weird communication for me. I'm not a native speaker tho so :shrug:

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

The FLGS where I got my copy just posted that they got official confirmation that Cursed City was a limited product, and they will get no more copies, even tho they have multiple pending orders. So now they are refunding everyone left hanging.

Now I consider myself really fuckin lucky that I was at the shop the moment they got the boxes delivered. This is sad.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

As someone who owns (and plays!) Silver Tower (ST) and Blackstone Fortress (BSF), and played their first Cursed City (CC) games this weekend. I can say that CC is a weird mix of the two.

CC is less narrative than Silver Tower, which was more of a Fighting Fantasy book in board game form, which sort of hindered replayability. But they did include some aspect of this into CC, as there are random events called "Crises" which are the similar "turn to page 23 and read section 42" which is nice! Combat is basically BSF without range counting. Enemy movement is similar to both, but it's more of condensed form of the BSF version. Hero advancement is the amalgam of the two systems, you have gear and inspiration like in BSF (so certain conditions make your hero card flip and you get better abilities and stats) but you also have hero levels and gain new abilities/traits based on your hero's keywords as you level up just like in ST. Activation dice, Destiny dice, etc are same as in BSF or ST, with the initiative system taken straight from BSF.

Now CC has basically 4 game modes/types or journeys as the game calls them:
Hunt - This is a kill X amount of monsters and evacuate on a pre built layout (randomized from a pool of 8)
Scavenge - This is a search X amount of objects and evacuate on a pre built layout (randomized from a pool of 8)
Deliverance - This is more like the adventures of ST. You build a deck with random cards of rooms, and you have to go and explore through them and save X amount of civilians to win, while a "Suffocating gravetide" is on your heels eating up the boards behind you.
Decapitation - These are boss missions, technically the Strongholds from BSF. You have to be a certain level for each to attempt, and you cant grow above certain levels without completing them.

The game also has a "Fear" and "Influence" mechanic. These are numbers that change based on what missions you do, if any of them hits 10, you lose. As I understand these are only there to make sure you don't waste too much time gearing up before attempting bosses.

TL;DR Now about boring, easy and repetitive... it all depends how much you like dungeon crawls like this. Wasn't boring so far, but if you didn't like BSF you wont like this. Repetitive? Not as much as the Dark Souls boardgame!

If you find it easy... can be fixed easily with simple house rules. They did rework the damage system slightly, so it doesn't go from "NOONE CAN HURT ME" to "WE ARE hosed" in 2 good enemy rolls because everyone is out of dice as in the previous games.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

jadebullet posted:

Customer support has been oddly worthless, as they are refusing to send me the replacement bases, instead telling me that the LGS I bought it from needs to provide me with the replacement bases. (Which they, of course, don't have and could only provide what they had in their spare base box)

I wonder if their famous customer support started to be the problem. Before, if anything was broken on a sprue, you wrote to them and they replaced the whole sprue of course. So people started to complain for small poo poo they could easily fix with glue anyway, just to get extras.
I saw multiple posts that in the case of Cursed City they just tell you to speak to your LGS.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Big Willy Style posted:

One disappointing thing was a first edition aos mechanic that cropped up during one of the crises - you had to stack 6 dice in top of each other in 15 seconds to succeed (I forget what this was actually meant to represent) . I haven't thoroughly checked but hopefully there aren't too many of these. it's just not inclusive for anyone that might not have fine motor skills or whatever.

I have to say that this and similar challenges were in all WHQ editions I played.
Dice stacking to represent crawling over a rickety bridge, pulling an item card out from between two stacked dice without making them fall to represent traps, for me were a breath of fresh air. they made the game more fun with a group.
Instead of a "roll 4+ to cross the bridge or to avoid trap" thing.

Silver Tower had riddles, and that was fuckin amazing. I want some silly poo poo in my dungeon crawl.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

lilljonas posted:

It's like including colour separation as the only way to distinguish two things, it fucks over colour blind for no reason. Such as having a red or a green circle, instead of a red diamond or a green square.

Yeah I understand what you mean. I am, coincidentally red-green colour blind ...

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hah, so I guess like at most places, Cursed City sold out in almost all LGSs (its a really short list) in my country rather quickly. But one of them only got their shipment yesterday, they started selling them today.
With a 50% markup compared to the other stores. :capitalism:

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

DLC Inc posted:

I guess it's my own fault for not seeing how this box is technically a "beginner set" and not like the actual "base sets" since the instructions state at the end of the booklet "now buy Direchasm!" Either way I managed to get the entire Direchasm contents (sans miniatures) for very cheap on ebay so it's fine. Just weird how they couldn't bother to do something as simple as including the spell dice, scatter token, and rules for hazard hexes/spells in the instructions. Seems like it'd be a very easy thing to throw in.

That "beginner set" seems to be a box of leftover stuff. Uses Shadespire dice, boards from Shadespire/Nightvault, and two warbands that are both previously released "Easy to Build" miniatures available separately, or in old AoS starter boxes and even the AoS magazine.
They did print cards for the two warbands so there is that. Dreadfane at least had its on separate board as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

One thing I don't understand with regards to BSF and now probably Cursed City, is they never released a Bestiary deck. Most people buying the games have other models, if line to include some other AoS models into the city and go full Castlevania.

Even more interesting that they did this for Silver Tower and that card pack is as rare as hens teeth. Part of me want to say that its because selling just card packs for the figures does not increase figure sales (I mean why are Warcry card packs so limited run?!), but people are buying the bloody 100 euro sky ship thing to represent the Adamant in Cursed City and everyone is buying Suffocating Gravetide markers from the 65 euro Malign Sorcery box. (Hell even I looked at these because I'm an addict.)