Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I have also been shanghai'd into a kill team group, and I have chosen VG as my team. Any advice on how to play them for an absolute noob would be muchly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thank you for all that. Having played basically 1 game (sort of), of kill team, are there general tips for the game?

It's good to know that I've got one of the more complex teams to use :commisar:

Although everyone is petty new to the game, so that helps.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Is this the KT thread?

I was excited to play in a KT narrative league at my local. It’s set up nicely, well organized, most of the dudes (and the one lady) playing are cool. However a new guy just uploaded his roster and the squad quirk for his sisters of battle is “The way they love the God Emperor appears to be Tainted(sic) by Slaanesh.”

Cool. Great. I’m sure this won’t get weird at all.

I hope so. I'm playing VG in a narrative league with friends, and I keep getting rolled. To be fair, I've only played two games ever.

At least I finally got my models in, and I can stop borrowing my friend's VG.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Vostroyan Guard?

Veteran Guardsmen, and this time around they are the death korps of krieg, which is neat considering they were previously a forge world only model set (read: very expensive).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Covermeinsunshine posted:

From my limited (2 months of playing) experience veteran guardsmen can be crazy strong but they are probably least "smooth brain" factionin the game so they do require a lot from the pilot

Dang. I'm like smooth as glass. Any tips for a brand new player? I have the "Guardsmen Choke the enemy with the bodies of their dead" down pretty pat.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Hmmmmmmmmm

Harsh but fair lol, sadly I enjoy their company they’re good people and indispensable in my life, I like them lol so im not gonna be a drama queen about it.

The difference between me and them is without exaggeration this video:-

https://youtu.be/nyYexTcyY2A

However I did score a major victory today

I met with them and the biggest nerd of the group who’s the main obstacle to my plan got a new game called ‘Agricola’:-

https://youtu.be/eTY-_WJ60a0

and wouldn’t you know it it’s a loving euro rear end farming game, they then proceeded to READ THE RULES AND LEARN THE GAME FROM ZERO for a full hour and a half as I was sitting there screaming and shrieking internally, and wouldn’t you know it they got so lost in the rulebook after all that time we gave up and moved on to an actually exciting board game about Viking killing each other and going to Valhalla and stuff called ‘Blood rage’.

https://youtu.be/hqcBTYxaAow

Blood Rage rules, I highly recommend it!

If you notice, Blood rage comes with cool miniature armies of Vikings and big monster ones.

And wouldn’t you know it, a shining opportunity came, one of them, THE GUY WHO OWNS THE DEN murmurs:-

“Hey these minis seem like they would be fun to play, reminds me of that space game I tried in England years ago”

I couldn’t believe my luck, like Slaanesh seeing a nice juicy honey glazed eldar soul, I struck fast.

“Funny you should mention it, I have a cool version of that game that’s only an hour long”

I then gauged his openness to the setting by showing him the incredible ASTARTES video:-

https://youtu.be/O7hgjuFfn3A

He loving loved it.

Gentlemen, call Abbadon, we got an opening. :nurgle:

Now all I gotta do is get him in a room to try the recruit edition of kill team, I will pre-read and learn the poo poo about rules so no time is wasted and see how he likes it.

I'm sure you understand that there's a significant financial barrier, even for kill team, that can he highly discouraging for some people. The only reason I got into kill team is that I had a bunch of store credit ($250) to spend thanks to winning stuff with my other 'set money on fire hobby' mtg. And even then, I still have had to spend another $75 for the hobby side of things, and borrow paint from a bunch of my friends who are already into the hobby.

Whereas when you buy a board game, that's it. No additional spend.

I'm not saying that this isn't a great game, because it is, or that painting miniatures isn't awesome, but some people don't want to make that commitment. Full stop.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

10 different versions of Zombicide get funded within minutes with basic kickstarter sets costing more than a Kill Team starter would disagree with you.

I totally get it, but there's something about buying the game, then buying other stuff, then buying other stuff on top of that (which aren't game pieces per se - like paint) that is somehow different than "everything you need comes in this box! Pay us $400"

I don't know. I don't get it either.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Got my Kill Team starter box! so hyped to start building and playing!

By the time I explore the game and see if I like it they should announce Soulshackle so by then I'll have figured out where to expand from there.

the question is now how to build my Krieg Veteran squad, what weapons are best, etc. any tips or advice?

is the grenade launcher good? does it ignore cover?

You kind of have a problem with Krieg specifically.

If you only have one box:
https://www.reddit.com/r/killteam/comments/swz5hj/recommendation_optimal_build_for_the_death_korps/

Ideally you have two sets worth of guardsmen:
https://www.reddit.com/user/Noeq/comments/suzqt5/guide_assembly_guide_for_the_death_korps_of_krieg/

I bought two boxes of VG so I could field the 14 model option, and also have all of the potential options available (except for bad choices like laspistol + melee for the Sgt Veteran or the Confidant).

Have a look at those guides, and don't be that concerned about the kitbashing the second link requires you do to - I did it with very little issues, and I have never ever touched minis before in my life, and manage to pull it off without the kitbashed model looking like Frankenstein's monster.

As for model choices, the current team I use is:
Sgt Veteran with Plas pistol and Power Sword
Confidant with Bolter
Gunner - Melta
Gunner - Grenadier
Gunner - Plasma
Zealot
Comms
Sniper
Spotter
Medic
Anciliary support Trooper x4

Although I am playing a NARRATIVE campaign, and I am very VERY new to the game. I went with as much shooty as I could muster. I think that the Demo veteran is a fine choice, as is the Flamer gunner, depending on who you are facing. It's pretty universally accepted that the Bruiser Veteran is pretty poop.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

I researched online and looked through that krieg builds on that reddit post, apparently the single-box krieg that comes in the starter set is severely compromised, those ancillary troops are pretty important and so is being able to field 14 troops with the full gunner options, I’ll just get another veteran box so I can have the full uncompromised team, and use what I have now to learn the ropes of the game in the meantime while it’s shipping. Lol GW got me again.

This is why I bought two boxes for my VG.

Having done it myself, make sure that you put the medic backpack on the running medic (if that's what you like), and you should make a 5th trooper veteran (or something) other than a second medic, because you'll never use a second medic.

Lumpy posted:

Go to the supermarket and buy a $2.99 bag of 20 army men in the toy aisle. Prime 4 of them, and you have your ancillary troops. They are also good for testing out painting techniques!

While I was waiting for my VG boxes, I was using my friends 10 model VG + 4 Lego mini figs. It was wonderful.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

:hmmyes: You may have a point there!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I was gonna ask something, before being distracted by the various facts spoken on this page. So, I've been kicking myself over not getting around to painting up my AT stuff yet, so far. Just wondering though, how do people paint the stripes some houses have on their titan armour? I'm not a pro painter like a bunch of you are, so I'm only capable of fairly basic stuff. Are there any tips on doing that, or is it simply a matter of "git gud"?

Is it big enough to use masking tape? If you want straight lines, that's an easy way to do it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

Nu Kill Team has level ups and injuries and stuff but they're extremely optional and I've never seen anyone use them or talk about them like that.

That's a Spec Ops campaign. I'm playing one of those with 5 of my friends right now. It's pretty fun, although from what I understand, the power level gets out of hand pretty quickly.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't like how they're tarot sized as I don't know where to get card sleeves that size

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/fantasy-flight-supply/products/tarot-card-sleeves/#:~:text=50%20sleeves%20per%20package.,(70%20x%20120%20MM).

There are a few but I think ffg makes decent sleeves.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Siivola posted:

It's a $30 season pass and that's horse poo poo.

That's a crazy over reaction considering the text of the cards literally on the review of the item (if you look at glass half dead yt review).

No one is forcing you to pay the money to gets these cards, when cheap as free alternatives exist, or are to exist in literal days after this hits the streets.

Recite the catechism of calming the gently caress down:

Gee-dubs has released another product,
I am not compelled to purchase it,
The Emperor stands beside me,
Holding the pursestrings,
I shall not want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The modern KT has quite a following of Ork Freebooterz fans, if you know where to look.