Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Played 2 games of Necromunda just now. We didn't bother making gang rosters or using skills, we just picked out 10 appropriately armed models each, including a leader and 2 champions, and went for it. Such a fun game. We really need to get everything set up properly and embark on a campaign using proper missions etc. I'm a bit gutted that the club I go to during the week (which is starting a Necro campaign) is apparently very down on new-style Necromunda and will definitely be using the archaic rules. I think alternating activations makes a big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Yeah, it seems like a low effort set of rules for using the DV cultist models in games. What we all wanted was a properly fleshed out gang with a workable set of equipment and appropriate unique bonuses for chaos stuff, with a corresponding cost or drawback.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

This. We're going to just use the standard list in our group in order to allow Legacy models to be used without wracking our brains trying to find analogous weapons.

Yeah, Spawn doesn't necessarily mean the new kit. The max Strength a Spawn gets is 5, and that's the equivalent of a GS Aberrant, which is also on a 32mm base. Just use an equivalent model and maybe slap some tentacles or poo poo on it.

Stop freaking the gently caress out, people.

I'd say that the dude from DV with the star carved into his chest would be good, but he's more of a leader type. Maybe the Cawdor-guy with the upraised axe?

I think that would be a pretty ideal model, especially if you clipped the head off the axe and put on some sort of more magic-staffy bit. Alternatively, I'm sure there must be some OOP GW chaos sorcerer types (or the FW renegade psyker models) which lack any power armour or heavy plate armour.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I played an intro game of Necromunda tonight against a mate, showing him the new rules. This is the kind of guy who generally prefers to win than lose - he's a sporting player, but highly competitive at most games. For context, he brought his old rules necromunda gang, and it was Van Saar, with a leader with plasma gun, 2 heavy stubbers, and everyone else having a lasgun. As it happens luck went against me toward the end and he won, which is probably a good thing as he walked away very happy with the new rules. That sounds negative but he is actually a good guy to play against. Some highlights:

- we both used 6 models, including a leader and a heavy stubber. We also both spread out more than is probably wise, with little use of group activations.
- we were not as impressed with heavy stubbers, inability to move on top of poor range modifiers makes you more likely to just miss all game than anything else, plus being pinned means losing your chance to shoot next round.
- that said, toward the end game his heavy stubber fired into combat, nailing my leader for the maximum 6 hits! Put him down in one go.
- plasma guns are terrific, for some reason they have a +2 modifier at 12" or less, which is better than any other weapon. Paired with rapid fire and (in his leaders case) the fast shot skill, he was hitting models in cover on a 2+, potentially for multiple hits.
- while his leader gunned down several models, mine charged into combat and failed completely, either not wounding or flesh wounding until he was put down (see above). This was still my best tactical option, since his bolt gun ran dry on the first shot!

A++, my friend very impressed with the new rules, would play again.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Has anyone found a blank NM tactics card template? I'd like to make a set of cards for my group.

Out of interest, do you mean to print off all the cards you want to use (rather than buying from multiple sources) or are you considering devising your own tactics related to your group's background?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Agree on heavy stubbers in ZM. In this case we were playing on a big 3d board, so not bad for them really. But I think in a lot of cases I would rather have a decent range basic weapon, which offers the possibility to gain +1 to hit with close range and is actually more accurate at 20-24"! Overwatch is a good skill but not even available to van saar or orlocks.

Agree its always much better when luck goes to a new player during an intro. Seems so many times teaching infinity I've explained the best course of action, why the odds are favourable etc, then rolled a critical against the new player anyway, meaning none of the lessons are internalised and people can get salty. Even the best of us see winning rolls as 'works as intended' and losing rolls as 'bad luck' in most cases.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

More the former. My group is not going to spend money on new gangs or cards. At least with the Reddit rules compilation I can get them to play the new version, but I'd like to have cards for the full experience. I'm sure I could do a list and roll off for tactics, but I'd prefer to just do it the easy way.

Seems like a good idea. While I like the production values and feel of the official books for learning the game, the reddit made all-in-one document is massively easier for referencing during a game. Same for cards, it's quite irritating that there isn't a central resource with every option.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

What's weird is that Escher and Goliath can both do this, but Orlock can't. Maybe it'll get changed once they get their weapon pack and full house list, but it's still somewhat odd. The kit only comes with harpoon launchers and heavy stubbers though; there aren't any special weapons in the current Orlock list or kit.

Yes, I think that's the consensus on why it is. I personally am really looking forward to FWs weapon options and corresponding rules for Orlocks and Goliaths. It will give a lot more options in starting a gang (I think Goliaths are pretty disadvantaged in 3d terrain play as it currently stands, just by having no good ranged options) and legitimise the old conversions I've got.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JcDent posted:

You managed to fit 10 dudes into 1000pts?

Not a problem when I've tried orlocks - 10 has been my benchmark for good enough numbers to sustain a few people in recovery at any one time. Long as you don't take more than 1 really expensive heavy or special weapon you should be fine. My rationale is that you quickly acquire currency and can up-gun your gang. But you want enough people from the start, because they will start gaining experience and several will often be in recovery.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sulecrist posted:

I agree with most of this but just wanted to respond to the boldest bit. In my experience, money is really hard to get. Unless you’ve got some houserules, you’ll likely earn 40-50 credits for your first game each round, and 30-40 for each subsequent game. That assumes your characters aren’t knocked out or busy taking their friends to the Doc.

For context, first game, my Gang Rating dropped by more than 300 because my two most expensive characters permadied. It was bad luck (the most expensive character was captured and subsequently sold to the Guilders, and my Leader died to lucky Autogun fire) but bad luck is just something that happens in this game.

I agree that loads of cheap guys is a good idea.

Interesting, I haven't been able to take part in a proper campaign yet, thought it was more than that. Perhaps my perspective is warped as I was planning on Orlocks and using starting skills such as Fixer and Savvy Trader which make more money and cheaper items. There are also I think some missions where you can gain credits by accomplishing the loot objectives? You're right though, it's a luck game and if you go into a downward spiral then it's hard to pull it back.

This leads us on to a big issue though, beyond the advantage of being more likely to pick the mission, and a reputation boost, there isn't a real underdog mechanic. In old Necromunda I remember playing much stronger gangs and being quite happy to do so - you still had a puncher's chance and just for showing up your gang would rocket upward in experience. Really made it practical to keep gangs a bit closer together. Now, if one gang starts to slip and another has runaway success, I don't see how they're ever going to close up in a campaign. Maybe that's the point of the limits on bringing gangs back after a Turf War has finished?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Personally, I'd drop the combat shotgun and respirators and get a couple of Juves. I'd rather have more guys.

EDIT: This is the 12 strong gang I ran at Adepticon, and I did pretty well. Gang limit was 1200 (1120 is what I have in the list) so adjust accordingly.

FYI, this was made before I saw the FAQ entry on Bulging Biceps/Unwieldy. Coupled with the Rivet Cannon being so short range, I'd probably swap it out for something else.

I definite agree, also can’t think why anyone would take a stub cannon and bulging biceps on a champion!

Read a comment on th new gw3 stuff that said the rivet cannon was losing the unwieldy trait - not sure if true, but a welcome change if it is.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JcDent posted:

I want a heavy stubber on a champ to happen eventually, and this is just a stopgap.

Having a champion with cheap kit as a stopgap for an eventual heavy weapon is a fine idea. But bulging biceps has been faq’d, it now removes the two handed use from unwieldy weapons but will not allow you to move and fire a heavy stubber. Additionally, a Goliath champion is a beast in close combat but no better at shooting than a ganger. You can give him an axe and stub gun for a mere 10 points, I’d go that way instead.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JcDent posted:

Rats, now I have a useless champ I have to downgrade.

This is one of the reasons why I'm holding out on Van Saars and Orlocks until their weapon kits come out.

But if you start with 5 bare minimum gangers (to allow for 2 champs and 2 juves), aren't you left with those fuckers for the rest of the game? What if you want to give a ganger a bolter or smth?

Huh? What do you mean left with them? You can give gangers more kit, just the RAW is you can't remove weapons from them. And frankly I'd imagine 80%+ of gaming groups house rule that away in any case. I see no downside to having loads of gangers (if anything, I'd say juves are the models I'd skip taking).

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sulecrist posted:

For what it’s worth, I really like the general rule that you can’t remove items once assigned. The incentivized upgrade treadmill was one of the things that deterred me from playing old Necromunda.

I mean, I am generally in favour of giving people more options at the start, the no-swap-weapons rule seems like something which has to be worked around.

Interesting point about gear in Necromunda. My personal regret is that there's all this cool stuff in the armoury, grapnel launchers and drop harnesses and so forth. But they are rarely taken (if ever) because it's so much better to take bodies and guns. I think it's partly an insuperable divide between play the game from a role-playing type mindset vs playing to make your gang as strong as possible.

I do think all non-weapon upgrades which are situational (not stuff like armoured undersuits which are pretty good already) should have their cost reduced to really trivial amounts. You'd have to be careful with, for example, respirators, because if they were too cheap you could nullify an opposing gangs much more expensive gas weapons. But now they're 15 points and who the hell would take one? I'd rather see experienced gangs over-equipped with gunsights, special gear and cool tricks than have all that good stuff be completely neglected.

Another way to introduce it while avoiding potential spam of too-cheap options is for the arbitrator to dish some upgrades out randomly, as post mission rewards or from loot crate objectives.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Very interesting solutions to the whole Necromunda kit issue thing! I do see the point of sights etc being a key piece of kit. I do think there should be a hard limit on the total number of people in your gang to be honest. Not saying many people would/could actually do this, but quite a lot of the time it would be better to buy another ganger than take more kit, and it could get silly.

I do wonder how many people have managed to build up really fearsome, multiple advance fighters without them dying or being crippled. While the serious injury table seemed forgiving at first glance, a lot of games I've seen have mass numbers of 'in recovery' results causing a death spiral as defeat follows defeat because of low numbers. Critical injuries often might as well mean 'dead' in the early game, few people would give up their champion's action and pay (2d6)x10 credits to save a ganger, probably with some decreased stat, instead of just starting over.

I also wonder what their long term plan is for Necromunda. A compilation rulebook after GW5 seems obvious. But will it feature revisions for FAQ? Whole new rules based on feedback and testing? Minor balance changes? Will they release a new boxed set? No idea and I don't think anyone knows, but I like to think the designers have planned it out!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So, comment popped up on Facebook just now ref new Necromunda rules in Gang War 3.

Apparently Van Saar gangers are bs3+; leaders and champions 2+. What the everlasting gently caress!? Fast shot plasma gun van Saar champion can shoot twice with rapid fire, hitting anyone in 12" on a 2+ regardless of cover. Jesus.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

glitchkrieg posted:

So are Van Saar recruits more expensive? Because that’s a HUGE advantage on top of their access to the Savant skill set.

I guess the designers really didn’t want to make them any less cheesy than before.

Yeah, picking from shooting and savant is pretty great. Word is they are 65 base, so more expensive. They have access to mesh armour and a +1 save stackable thing (similar to armoured undershirt, but can even add to that). Not clear what exactly is included and what is bought extra, this is all Facebook whispers. But word is for 80pts you get a ganger with the stats mentioned and a 4+ save. It seems balanced in terms of starting cost, but actually I think it's a very very strong basis for adding guns and upgrades on top.

Stand by for a rant when I get my hands on GW3 around Monday!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

glitchkrieg posted:

That's a stupidly good starting platform, and means that Toughness as a first advance is a complete no-brainer.

I'd love to know what's going on in the designer's heads sometimes, there are so many weird decisions being made with no thought to balance.

I'd also like to know what Escher's "thing" is supposed to be - the 2+ Initiative only really makes sense in the 3D game, and even then, Flak armour and the rest of their starting stats let them down. 5 credits lasguns will only get you so far...

Completely agree. I think escher are supposed to be versatilely aggressive - their champions have 3+ws and bs, they get cheap lasguns combined with good cc kit via toxins. Not sure it really works, as you say. But it does appear van Saar will be the dedicated campaign-ruiners. As it was, so shall it ever be.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Got my Gang War 3 and have been reading through it - just wanted to echo the consensus that it's packed with content and miles superior to the anemic GW2. I do think Van Saar are pretty drat good, the cost issues are a big factor in the starting game, but once gangs start to accumulate shooting kit and skills, the increased armour and BS become well worth the price. I didn't see anyone comment on their Move value of 4" - not as important a handicap as it is for Goliaths, since Van Saar are likely to want to be static and shooting, but it is something to consider, it will hold them back in objective games. On the other hand, Van Saar have much better access to advanced gun upgrades on their starting list than other gangs - this magnifies their ability to get that sweet gear, since they can send their lads out to gather money instead of rolling to obtain the gear at rarity via the trading post.

Great options for a campaign here though. Balance is always talked about, but most campaigns should be more about the flow of luck than theoretical meta match ups. I'd agree that strong ability to house rule (probably led by an Arbitrator the other players agree to trust) would improve things.

Got a bit of interest from my local, old-Necromunda-committed wargames club. I'm going to try and convert them to the new stuff.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

One day I’ll get enough terrain completed to be ready for posters.... one day.

Amen.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I believe this is from the faq - but Bulging Biceps now allows you to use a second weapon in close combat at the same time. It does not give the effect of making a double shoot action into a basic one, that is suspensor only.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Team_q posted:

They set up right next door to each other. There is a bunch of sight-line intervening cover.

Can I just say that this is my major doubt about kill team as well. Nothing wrong with the rules at first glance, probably some of the same issues 8th ed 40k has but workable in general. But the scenarios seem basic at best, and the board is tiny. I’m used to games with at least a bit of jockeying for position, the deployment zones in kill team seem to encourage everyone to line up and just smash into each other.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just bought the new Necromunda off eBay for $100, hopefully a new system and minis will break me out of my painting slump. :dance:

It's a great game! Wish I had more opportunities to play it. Haven't bought any of the new models yet but definitely will at some point. Looking forward to reading Gang War 4 later this week. They just keep adding more and more cool stuff to the game.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

KT is self contained. NM has been out for a year and still doesn't have all of the factions or rules out. The slow dribble has pissed a lot of people off, and interest in the game is floundering. GW really dropped the ball on both NM and BB, and pretty much ensured people lost interest really quickly.

Hmm, I'm the opposite, the slow burn of releases has kept me consistently enthused. OTOH, I don't have anyone to play Necromunda with on a regular basis, so this enthusiasm is most theoretical . . .

But hey, I've got Gang War 4 and it's awesome! I really would like to convert up some House Brutes (a weapon servitor for Orlocks would be easy enough from AdMech 40k Breachers and a spare heavy bolter model; or an AoS Slaughterpriest for a Goliath Berserker)

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Yeast posted:

Now to just find some people to actually play with.

Where do you live? Not a serial killer, just asking.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Yeast posted:

To answer your question, Melbourne Australia

for a city of 5 million people, there's a depressing lack of Necromunda players :(

edit: my fiancee saw the Escher and got excited, so we played the intro game last night and she rolled me twice. It was pretty great.

Well at least you've got one opponent you (presumably) also consider cool enough to hang out with! May you prosper in your search for more. Surely Australia is full of post-apocalyptic gangs anyway, you should be set?

Yeast posted:

x-postin'

This is loving great dude. Perfect mix of dirty, mixed drab colours and a splash of something really vivid to catch the eye.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Whenever I meet Australians in Bangkok, I ask them if that documentary series about the gas shortage is accurate. My goal is to see how long I can drag out the vague descriptions of Australia's unique fashion sense and violent crime waves before they realize I'm just talking about Mad Max.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I ran into a random Australian a few weeks ago that I was able to keep going for like 10 minutes as they got more and more flustered since they had no idea what I was talking about. His Kiwi friend was wiping tears from his eyes he was laughing so hard.

You are a beautiful, terrible human being.

Asphyxious posted:

Anyone got any suggestions about a good basic loadout for Cawdor gangers and Juves? I’m very new to Necromunda and want to avoid cruddy choices.

Like Polearms look cool but how do they compare to just taking Autoguns etc.

I amn't too clear on the relative benefits of polearms vs autoguns, but I did think that Juves can only be given pistols & cc weapons? Can't remember if that was replaced by the limit of 20 creds on any of their starting gear, or whether both restrictions apply.

In any case, the standard thing for Juves I have seen is a stub pistol or autopistol, either with a second one or a cheap cc weapon. (so an axe or club for Cawdor) This looks pretty good visually, they look subordinate to your proper Gangers, and it works alright tactically - they run up and have a swing at non-cc-equipped Gangers, and even more coup-de-grace charge at downed fighters, forcing your opponent to deal with them. Using them as firepower troops would be unwise even in they have the weapon options, their BS means you can spend rounds and rounds just getting nowhere.

So basically I'd advise the polearms, conventional rifles, maybe some cc/pistols on your Gangers. Try to avoid making any one model too valuable, so for example if you take grenades (bomb rats!) do so on one with cheaper kit. Then have all your Juves as cheap as possible.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

glitchkrieg posted:

Supposedly this rule has been changed to - starting weapons can not cost more than 20 credits. According to the FB group, anyway.

I believe that's right, yes. Partly because Juves should (in the designers' vision) start to become rising stars, overtaking your Gangers, as they gain Advances, well before they actually promote to Champions. And partly because they loving love selling hand flamers in the FW weapon packs, and someone has to carry them!

BTW, I really think the Juve-Champ thing needs rethinking. I don't have any practical experience playing new-Necro campaigns, but it seems like getting a Juve anywhere near the starting profile of a Champion (great stats, pick one primary skill) is a vanishingly small possibility. So in practice, you'd be more likely to seek to hire in new Champs once your Rep level allows.

Maybe that's not the case? Perhaps if you foster your Juves well you can end up with 4-6 Champs well before your Rep would allow it, so even if their stats have some weaknesses your gang is collecting loads of income and doing post-game actions? Do Juves gain XP faster than I imagine?

Also, I seem to see a change in the 'Dominion Campaign' rules in GW4. It appears the cumulative 2XP charge for Advances is for each statistic, not overall. Am I reading this wrong? Was it already like that?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

You are not wrong. And there’s another reason why Juves>Champions doesn’t work: their 5 advances inflate their ganger value way above the odds of a champion, AND once they ‘graduate’ they instantly lose their XP tax relief and go straight in with the +10XP cost on their future upgrades. RAI, my group is fairly certain that it’s not supposed to work this way, but RAW it’s absolutely clear.

Ha ha, I didn't even think about the sudden imposition of tax on any future Advances! That's bizarre. Again, another obvious house-rule candidate. With the newer model Advance rules, that wouldn't be quite as bad, but you'd still be potentially paying the higher cost for Advances just to finish catching up to Champion stats (most champs are 2 notches higher WS/BS than Juves).

Enentol posted:

Yeah, I've played a few campaigns since release, and since the first one, no one in my gaming group has taken or bought Juves.

I'm really not sure how GW/FW think they're supposed to work, but they don't make sense currently.

I'd also argue that even with their 5 advances, they won't even really equal Ganger stats, let alone a Champion - and like inept says, their value will be bonkers.

Orlock Juve plus mesh armour = 45 creds
Orlock Ganger that includes mesh armour = 55 creds

For 10 extra creds I get:
-1 movement and initiative, but
+1 WS, +1 BS, +1 Ld, +1 Cl, +1 Wil, +1 Int

The only difference is that Juves get to choose their advances.

I'll still take a Ganger every time.

Fully agree. Juves aren't just outclassed by Champs, they're outclassed by Gangers. Hell, with Goliaths they give up S & T!

glitchkrieg posted:

That and Escher Juves are hilariously cheap speed-bumps for multi-wound models. Keep out of 7" or fear 2 attacks with a Stiletto Knife hitting on 3+.

To be fair, the combo of very fast movement and Toxin definitely helps. I thought Escher Juves were WS 5+ though? And surely a Ganger would be a touch slower but a far better value.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

glitchkrieg posted:

They start with WS4+ and Stiletto Knives have a +1 to hit...

That is pretty great! All the same, an Escher Ganger can still do the same thing when the opportunity arises, and also carry a 5pt lasgun to pin down enemy fighters.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
As with the other gangs, they really exaggerated the look of Delaque from older sources. I think I like it, but not so sure about the paintscheme. Maybe its the very closed poses, but they look quite inhuman.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Enentol posted:

The art at the end of the reveal trailer is a much nicer scheme - darker, more muted/subdued, and with more of a human-looking skin tone.

I do think the artwork is better than the models, but I don't think it's just the paintjob. The poses are a bit odd - hunched backs and feet close together, which makes the models look a bit less heroic or action-y. No firing stances, models have their weapons held low or sticking up in the air. The floor-length coats also contribute to a rather un-martial air. I think they'd look harder if they had shorter coats and more aggressive poses.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Excellent points, I agree that the styles differ quite a lot. Got to say that if I buy into new Necromunda models (already prefer the new rules with my old conversions) I'd be all in on Orlocks. That non-ganginess that you point out for some of the gangs is a turn-off for me.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JcDent posted:

Probably a silly question, but when you hire Hive Scum in Necro, do you need to buy their equipment with your credits, or is the "up to 60 credits" is something of an allowance that comes with buying a Scum?

Bit late, but my recollection is you do need to buy their equipment with your credits and you don't get to keep it? Which is partly why the (fully equipped) preset scum/bounty hunter characters are so much more expensive.

It's part of why hiring in outside help is widely held to be a poor decision in new-Necromunda, I think. Interesting to see if they will change that in the revised rulebook? Not sure how sweeping any changes will be.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JcDent posted:

Since I got a Cawdor gang for Xmas, how is this for a 1k pts starting lineup?

https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/cawdor_trial.36396/

I am no expert, but I understand the most important thing is to start with approx 10 models, including the leader + 2 champions, which you have done. I think there might be a change where champions are not limited by Rep now, under the more recent Dominion campaign rules? But that would be something you should discuss with your group, I suppose otherwise you could make a starting gang with about 4 champions and just farm credits to make an elite killing team after a few games, not really in the spirit of things. I might be wrong anyway, I don't have my rulebook here. In summary, I think your numbers are fine.

Skills - what were you planning to choose? Your leader only has a stub gun, which makes me think you want him to be an overseer? I think the issue with that is when the cool guys he's hanging out with go down or anything else unexpected happens, you're left looking a bit silly as he lacks the personal punch to make use of his skills, attacks etc. I like the fact you've given smoke grenades and incendiaries (are those discounted for Cawdor?) to some people, but you might want to save a few of those credits and give the leader something.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I am starting a Necromunda campaign with some randoms from a local geek cafe tomorrow. (this is in Birmingham, UK)

Very excited to finally get a chance for a proper ongoing series of games using the new-cromunda rules. Pics of my Orlocks gang, which I actually converted a few years ago for a campaign under the old rules.

I picked a starting line up of 10 blokes, didn't take much expensive gear or anything. Remains to be seen if that's a good idea.

My gang leader. 'Mad Dog'.

One of my champions, 'Blindside'.

Definitely my coolest ganger. 'Shades'. Got an autopistol and blasting charges.

I have plenty of other special weapons converted for future upgrades.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

Liking your Orlocks mate, very cool! Good luck in the Campaign :)

Thanks mate! I've got work commitments keeping me away from the South-East for the next couple months, so I'm afraid not much chance of a game with you in London, but I'm glad to finally get some quality underhiving in. Hope your group is still going strong?

The first round of games couldn't really have gone any better for me! I played and won 3 games, one against each other campaign player. That gave me a lovely spread of territories and more than 400 credits, so my gang has grown from 10 to 13 models and gotten rather more tooled up. I didn't even take major injuries, I just had one ganger lose -1Wip & -1Int whilst sitting out the middle game.

First game was against Orlocks, Zone Mortalis and pretty drat even, since it was the first round. Essentially his gang ended up taking the centre tile en masse while my gangers were split in 2 assault groups firing and charging at him from both sides. I thought I'd get creamed when my first attacking activation (Leader and 2 shotgun gangers) rolled 3 1s to hit, but luck soon returned to me. My opponent probably focussed a bit too much on setting up positions for the next turn rather than taking the shots he had available. Between that and just better luck, I put down 4 men to his 1 and he eventually bottled to stop me from coup-de-gracing about 3 more. Real hero was my own leader - he took 2 wounds off the opposing leader with his boltgun, ran out of ammo, then charged at him with his chainsword in the next round and absolutely tore him apart (I rolled well and caused a total of 5 injury rolls on him).

Second against Van Saar, Sector Mechanicus. I have to say they are my least favourite gang to play against since it can just be a shooting gallery, and I was not optimistic. My opponent deployed in a firing line behind barricades in his deployment zone. Hmm. However, it turned out great! Maybe because he had more pistols and shotgun-equivalent than pure lasguns. I had a fairly even time with the beginning shots while my key players snuck up under his gantry. Really started to win the firefight in round 3, then my blasting charges ganger (Shades Mackenna, see above) ran up the stairs behind his firing squad, chucked a stick of dynamite, took 3 blokes out of action immediately, including his leader!

Third against Escher, Sector Mechanicus. I had the advantage so my opponent had more tactics cards. She really scared me most with a needle rifle and pistol. Those things are absolutely brutal. I had 1 champion seriously injured and his sidekick running off the board broken in the first round. Fortunately I think her close combat group was a bit cocky in getting close to my lines early (she used a tactics card to sprint them forward when the game started). I was lucky in getting priority in the second round and established the advantage. Some back and forth with casualties on both sides, but I managed to charge more of her downed fighters and keep them down, whereas mine recovered.

Overall thoughts, the game is great. One thing I didn't appreciate was how much easier it is to put people Out of Action using close combat. It's harder to get there, yes, you expose yourself, yes, and they can react and attack back, yes. But taking people out for the count really can punish the opposing gang's next game. Whereas when you seriously injure fighters with shooting, most common result is they will sooner or later stand back up with a flesh wound. I think this gives a nice balance to the game and prevents easy-answer shooting forces. What can get a little irksome, though, is the XP system doesn't reward success in shooting that much unless you are very lucky. My blasting-charging hero won a battle single-handed but has no extra XP for it, while another ganger charges and coup-de-graces an unconscious Juve and seems to learn something.

Looking forward to more of this great game!

JcDent posted:

I think those bandanas could use sharper contrast, tho, between shading and highlights.

You're not wrong mate, the same could be said of the skin (I kind of overdid the washes on these guys) and most of the metal is just one rough drybrush. Fact is I painted these maybe a year after building them and starting the basecoat, I kind of lost the mojo and was just getting them moved off the painting tray. I did a few details to the right standard but it's a pretty rough job. Having gone back to them cold and seen all the little ways my conversions weren't as good as I had thought, I don't have too much enthusiasm. Will get it together at some point with a new gang of those sweet sweet plastic sculpts.

I do have to find a powersword for old Blindside Bill though, so they will get some details touched up!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Played 2 more games of Necromunda today, won both! However my opponent in the first, our Van Saar player, did better than I did in credits earned so is closing the gap gang rating wise. Especially because he then thrashed our Escher player (she stubbornly refused to bottle, which let him pick up loads of xp from killing her guys), collecting another hefty sum and securing the 2nd VS special territory. Taken together, those are super powerful and I expect him to be the most threatening opponent in the campaign. Especially as he has bought 3 cyber arachnids and given his whole gang mesh armour - pretty bloody powerful! drat Van Saar.

Our game was Ghast Harvest, but it went a little odd. I used Tunnels to get some of my Orlocks forward, and was lucky in taking out his leader and a champ with shooting. Basically I only had time to get one bag of ghast before he bottled, leaving me without much winnings, and he didn’t take any permanent harm from injuries.

My new juve took a spinal injury. I generated a new one from a Settlement Territory, so retired and replaced him. Larkin became Other Larkin.

Played a standard game against Escher, took one person out but my opponent used the tactic card ‘Scrag’ to make nerve tests 9” radius instead of 3”. So when the first guy went down to a chem thrower, half my gang fled! They all recovered and gained xp, but it was embarassing! My opponent bottled soon after due to serious injuries, but only had one taken out. So again, she didn’t suffer much.

Other Larkin was the guy who went down to the chem thrower. An Escher juve coup de graced him. He died. RIP.

In summary, I am still undefeated but other players are threatening my position and I don’t feel my gang is advancing too fast in xp. OTOH, I am still top of the table and increased in gang rating again, buying more guns.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

What kind of campaign are you playing? We started our first ‘real’ campaign since Newmunda was released a couple of weeks ago. (Real campaign for us means one that is not considered a practice, or a familiarisation to learn the rules, and where everybody in our group takes part - Oldamunda was the game that brought us together so we place a high degree of importance on the ‘club campaign’.)

We are playing the Old Kingdoms variant of Dominion, and we are already running into serious problems. Because Newmunda games can be very quick, and due to the way territory income is generated, we have got some extreme gang rating differences. My Van Saar have had the fortune of getting two income generating territories and also of winning 4/5 games they’ve played, and are sitting at the top of the GR pile at about 1850. We have gangs still hovering around the 1000 mark.

I think Dominion RAW is pretty broken, or at least very abusable. I have posted a thread on Yaktribe about this should you wish to get involved.

I definitely agree with you there. Firstly, if you keep winning you simply accumulate piles of territories and get the benefits every game. If I play someone who has been losing, even if they win, I will generate as much or more income than them, and I have things like a rogue doc to defray the expenses of casualties.

Our arbitrator has been keen to use the House Favours table to help people catch up, but frankly it’s too random and not so very weighted towards helping the weaker gangs. I fortunately rolled ‘no benefit’ or it would have been embarassing, but the 1500 gr Van Saar got as much out of that as the 1000 gr Escher did.

The campaign also adds another layer to the game one needs to be savvy about, and this widens the player skill gap. I mean, I’m no expert, but I can look at our territories list and see which are clearly better. The Van Saar special options are miles and miles better than the goliaths’ for example. We have an incoming Goliath player (not everyone being available to start playing games was also a problem for us) and he challenged for a really pointless territory first off. I sort of nudged him and advised him to go for one that generated income. OTOH our VS player/arbitrator is very savvy on this sort of thing, has a plan, can see what’s good, and is 600 gr ahead of that guy. So I would be very surprised if he loses, he will generate far more from the game than the Goliath, and he will get another territory to exacerbate the problem for their next game. Ridiculous.

Part of Necromunda is dealing with that power difference, it’s where the competition of the game comes from. But I agree I want to see a lot of territory rules re-written, and more control, probably based on a physical map, of what can be challenged for. Stopping people from easily nabbing the best territories. You could also look at greater rewards for gangs fighting and overcoming higher gr opponents, as in old Necromunda. The current equaliser of ‘more tactics cards’ partly deals with the games but can’t handle the campaign issues.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

The utter lack of an underdog-balancing mechanism makes it really egregious in this edition. It used to be that the weaker gang had a much higher chance of picking the scenario (thereby allowing them to choose ones where they got the jump on a smaller group from the other gang for example, or scenarios where there were big credit rewards for winning).

In addition it used to be that even a modest difference in gang rating would return a boosted XP rate to the underdog, and big income boosts if they won the battle.

There is none of this in Newmunda / Dominion and I think it’s really problematic.

Easy enough to integrate the old systems into the new game IMO, and I know the Yaktribe community has some real issues with the campaign system, so I think we’ll have some good fan-written campaign tweaks or hacks before too long.

I agree about the lack of a reward for Underdogs facing and beating bigger/better gangs. OTOH I may be underestimating tactics cards - our Goliath player, partly by using his tactics cards cunningly, absolutely thrashed the Van Saar overdog today. The problem lies more in the territories, the VS player was able to repair his losses and advance slightly in gang rating nonetheless, and of course he will gain xp etc.

I saw the subject on Yaktribe and had a look. While everyone seems to agree that the XP, territories and underdog system need work, I get rather sceptical of people producing huge list of exceptions, additions and improvements to standard rules. I would think an arbitrator could think about all the issues beforehand and solve most of them by modifying the territory effects to be more even where they relate to income. Everything else is just controlling who challenges whom for what, and the missions that are selected. A heavily arbitrated campaign can do that. I admit it's probably not feasible with your 10 regular players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

I think that tactics cards are an important component (and most importantly - they are a hell of a lot of fun) but by themselves they don’t do enough.

If it was tactics cards + higher chance of underdog choosing the scenario, I think that would be a relatively small tweak that would make a good difference.

My group decided before the campaign began that Sneak Attack and Sabotage are both fundamentally broken scenarios, so we replaced that result on the scenario table with ‘random scenario’ - we have now replaced it with ‘underdog picks the scenario’. It’s a recent change and we’ll see how it goes.

As for arbitrator, we’ve played heavily arbitrated campaigns before and they’ve gone well (primarily in Oldamunda though), having been played on maps and required game limits in each campaign round. We wanted something more relaxed this time and :laffo: boy have we got into trouble as a result.

As with territories, I think the scenarios are full fo great ideas but need a lot of balance and stress testing. As you say scenarios can be absolutely broken with victory conditions. The designers haven't really interfaced with bottling and its effect on conventional ending the game conditions which most wargames use.

Territories, I think heavy arbitration with use of a map, or house rules/rewrites are needed, or we just accept inabalnce. I mean, there are Goliaths territories with give d6x5 credits. Tech Bazaar for Van Saar gives d6x10, rising to 2d6 with another territory, and lets you buy items at half price - ie you can save about 60-80 credits on any big ticket purchase. Unreal.

This all sound negative, but actually, I'm just having so much FUN! All the missions have character, the kit and ideas are really cool, our gangers are developing their own stories and rivalries.