Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Yah, competent players on an open board can avoid melee pretty easily, although Goliath have a couple of nasty tricks to guarantee one charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

hooman posted:

Not even the marketing team seems to know the answers to these questions which is.. staggering.

You would be surprised by how little interaction different departments have with each other. Community are at the far end of the pipeline and this is the problem. Either that or they are the problem, I haven't worked out which yet.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

xtothez posted:

Oh they know exactly what's coming, HQ staff get some of the first production sprues. Just look at how many have their own gangs, warbands or armies painted up for preview articles on new releases.

That's not what I'm saying - and besides, by the time Community get their hands on sprues etc., the products have already been in development for 12-18 months or longer.

You just need to look at some of the issues with events and FAQs to see some of the issues with team communication.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Xlorp posted:

Anyone looking to get into Blood Bowl and needs teams? I have an old WHFB box with classic Bloodbowl, plus some Deathzone stuff.
5 metal teams, plus the two base plastic ones. No star players, painting status is mixed from none to three colors neat.
* Norse, metal
* Skaven, metal
* Dark elves, metal
* Dwarves. metal
* Wood Elves, metal
* Orc, plastic
* Human, plastic
Could this go to all one place? Lotta house and storage purging has to move forward.

I'd certainly be interested, depending on location/shipping!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

ineptmule posted:

Love it. These are great.

In other BB news, a guy from my club won:
1st place
Best Stunty
Most casualties
Most touchdowns
Best painted

With Halflings

At a tournament in London today :allears:

They checked his dice after, right!

Seriously though, that’s incredible!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

Pro elves or wood elves. High elves too, but they don't have a new kit yet and they're a little slower with more armor. Dark elves are more of a running team, but could work with some development. Definitely an elf team.

Out of the box:

Pro Elves have the best catchers.
High Elves have the best throwers.
Wood Elves have the best sackers.
Dark Elves have the best blitzers and are better on defence than other Elves.

No idea who Al Davis is, but if you want to score quickly (i.e. 2 turns) then Pro Elves are probably who you're after. If you want to play a more stalling game, where you manoeuvre multiple people into scoring range and count down the clock, probably High Elves.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Floppychop posted:

So I'm looking to kick off a Blood Bowl season at the LGS once COVID blows over (whenever that may be).

I want it to be super casual and a way for people to start off in it. Any ideas for stuff I should do outside the normal rules? I'm thinking of maybe doing a once per season "super apothecary" that lets a coach turn a dead player into they miss next game.

I ask because a few years ago another guy tried running one and a few people that were experienced with the game were also assholes. Like spending turns 13-16 just trying to injure and kill the other players even though they were up like >3 TDs. While within the rules, some of their opponents did not come back after that.

Edit: If there's an actual Blood Bowl thread, please point me to it. I searched and couldn't find one.

The house rules I use for the league I run:

quote:

Highlander
No player on a team can take the same skill set as another player of the same position on the team at the same time (excluding starting skills).

For players with multiple skills, the order in which skills are taken doesn’t matter – it’s the combination that needs to be unique. Stat increases do not count as skills for these purposes. You have to pick a skill when the player levels up – you can’t “save” a potential skill until a later date, if the skill you want would cause a duplication.

Example: if you give a Lineman Block as their frst skill, no other Linemen can take Block as their first skill. However, once this Lineman has acquired a second skill, another Lineman may take Block as their first skill.

This rule is intended to reduce cookie-cutter skill selection, especially for top-tier teams. It affects some team rosters more than others and coaches should take this into account when selecting a race.

Flash Gitz
A team will receive +1 FAME for a match if every player model on the roster is painted and based to a tabletop standard of a minimum of 3 colours. This excludes miniatures used for Journeymen, Mercenaries and Star Players.

If in doubt, coaches should check with their opponent that their team meets this criteria. If there is any disagreement they should ask the Commissioner or other players for a ruling if possible.

Triage
A coach can choose to roll on the Casualty Table at the end of the game rather than when the Casualty takes place. The coach can then decide which result on the Casualty Table to use their Apothecary on, if they have one.

As per the NAF clarifications, Regeneration is rolled after you choose to use the Apothecary or not. You can not choose not to use the Apothecary, fail a Regeneration roll and then use the Apothecary afterwards.

Safe Pair Of Hands
At the end of a match, a coach may “retire” any player from their roster and turn them into an Assistant Coach for free. This does not include temporary players such as Star Players, Mercenaries, or Journeymen. This new Assistant Coach still counts towards Team Value as usual.

The Triage rule does kinda affect teams that get free zombies, unless they can cause multiple deaths in one game.

Highlander screws balance for teams with a low number of positions (Lizards and Vampires, mainly) but it stops top-tier teams dominating and encourages veteran players to try something more interesting than the standard progression route.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That seems like it would completely gently caress over a team like Chaos.

You'd be surprised. One person took Pact through to the finals with this rule in place.

That said, they've also taken Ogres through to the finals with the same rule, so they're a very good and/or lucky coach.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

ineptmule posted:

I like this except for Triage, because that has potentially huge implications on apothecary use in tactical sense. Sometimes using Apo on a Badly Hurt player is absolutely the right thing to do because then it goes into reserves. Much more important in Knock Out matches where winning the fixture is the most important thing.

In case it's not clear, you can still use the apo on a Badly Hurt player in exactly the same way as usual - it just adds "banking" the apo roll to the end of the match and choosing who it applies to.

It's a rule I inherited from the previous commissioner when I took over our local league, and although it still has some issues I want to try and work through, I think it works well for a club that has a spread of player ability.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

The images are usually mashups of some of the different factions. The necklace looks like the new cow-elves; maybe pointed teeth for Undead or Vamps; horns for another beastmen faction; tree-elf stag horns; and maybe the bugs hinted at in Beastgrave?

Still no damned Slaanesh warband then...

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

BRING BACK GORKAMORKA (in 15mm)

As for Necromunda and WYSIWYG - if I was proxying, it'd always be weapon-adjacent. So if a model's got a basic weapon, then it can proxy fine for another basic weapon model. Champions/equivalents should be distinguishable from their loadout anyway, and the models I use for Leaders would rarely change.

It only ever was a problem if I was playing multiple games in a session and swapping loadouts after trading, or if I was playing somebody regularly and the model they'd associated with a nasty profile was swapped over to a different model. But decent pre/in-game communication should sort that out, especially if you're having some friendly trash-talk.

hexa fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 31, 2020

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

I'm optimistic about the rules changes to Blood Bowl, mostly because splitting Agility off into different stats/skills has been something I've discussed with friends in the past. That or moving to D8s or D10s makes such a difference.

My only concern is balance, as it could nerf some of the more fun builds for teams and push them into dull mono-build directions. The game doesn't need more teams that play exactly like Dwarves.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Things like Loner (3+) are an interesting change, especially in light of the Old Word Alliance team. All that Loner doesn't look quite so bad now...

One reason I'm glad this leak has come out and forced GW's hand for announcing it is that I can bin off my league that's been ruined by COVID, and start properly at the beginning of next year. Maybe.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

What were the 4 other teams? I'm assuming there'll be another Teams of Legend PDF like before, otherwise this is going to be really unpopular.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Am I gonna regret asking what they’ve done to my beloved Dark Elves

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

War Cry is... eh, I really wanted to like it.

If you want a low model count game, with some of the best sculpts GW has released outside of Underworlds, and happy to rinse through multiple games in one night, it's great. It's really imbalanced though, so you ought to keep the War Cry-only warbands away from the AoS ones.

The draw one card each for mission, scenery, twist could have been a good system but all-too-often can make a really weird setup or a configuration that is so stacked against one warband. As long as you're playing against somebody who's happy to redraw until you have something more balanced, or happy to suck it up, get it done, and start a new one as soon as possible, then it can still be enjoyable.

At one point GW were pushing the idea of competitive play, which wouldn't work. I played three games trying it as a competitive game, one was ruined by the card system, the other two came down to who won initiative for the third turn.

It didn't really last very long at my club, as it pretty much needed one person to bring the bespoke terrain/board/tokens etc. in a way that you don't have to with other skirmish games.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Slaapaav posted:

it will be very interesting to see how the amazon and norse throwers end up.

necromatic are the undisputed best team now with nerfs to all the elf teams?

Uh what. The Necromantic roster is downright awful at TV1000 and they lost 1/3 of their viable ball carriers in the changes. The changes to passing have pretty much ruined their status as "best league flex team".

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Is anybody else a bit surprised by the Catacombs box - it seems reeeaaal similar to the Kill Team Arena box, which I didn't think was all that popular?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Has anyone tried out the Underworlds Arena Mortalis expansion yet? Considering picking it up as I want an extra board anyways.

It's... not great. It's the kind of thing that's fun as a break between hectic league or tournament practice games, but there's really not much to it. Slightly more fun than standard multiplayer games, especially as it's made some of the lesser-used warbands fun again because they have one or two great fighters (looking at you Skellies and Skaven).

But it does have some good cards...

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess its not the worst idea, although it initially feels like anathema to the whole point of the vampries team.

Now you're more likely to trigger it, but it only knocks down and they get armor to resist injury. But removing the chance to "feed on a spectator" is huge, and also not feeding after you move changes everything.

Its much less fiddly than the old vampires rules, so I guess I can almost understand it in the name of streamlining, but its also the whole vampires shtick so I just don't know how I feel about that. The whole point of vampires was to be a gimmick team.

I think the rules change is bad but it might also be a placeholder until they get the Spike! treatment. I think a lot of the Teams of Legend will be like this, as the rosters are unchanged from CRP except for price changes and tweaking skills to match the new format (like on the High Elf thrower).

I have a spreadsheet of some ideas for TV1000 builds, if people are interested. I'm tempted to do a blog of all the changes and the implications that come from the new rules, as I can't actually play BB or run my league right now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fTeEL-Eh_XGBhCkvY6Aa7tabbUOa0if7BfwnJUyhHQ4/edit?usp=sharing

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Crackbone posted:

So my COVID hobby is building out a set of Space Hulk 1st edition with current gen minis. Not even sure if I’ll even play it once I'm done, but I'm actually old enough to have bought 1st edition with all the expansions when I was a teenager. I have such fond memories of it I figured what the hell. It’s been almost 15 years since I painted a mini, so I sprung for some models and paints. It's amazing how much better paints and painting resources are now.

Here’s a few of the Deathwing I’ve done so far. Bases aren't done but I'm chewing through my ~20 odd Terminators. Then I'll move onto the genestealers and hybrids.

Those look great! I have a similar project I've started, making Space Crusade with modern minis. Not all that far with it yet though...

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

For Blood Bowl, are there any like quick-start rosters for the Season 2 box set teams to jump in and play an exhibition game? Or am I going to actually have to sit down and draft them both out?

I have a spreadsheet, which has my first take on setting up all the teams. Needs another revision applying Dedicated Fans.

I should hopefully be playing my first game of the new edition this week, which might change how important I think the DF mechanic is.

Slaapaav posted:

the two teams in the box have a pretty strange matchup. all of the black orcs have grab but the other team has players with stand firm. fend is also pretty good vs slow players with brawler.

Yeah, Grab/Stand Firm/Fend/Wrestle are some technical skills which make a really weird match-up and not one I'd put in a starter set. They've messed about with the other teams so much (directly through costs or indirectly through rules changes) that I'm not really sure who I'd put in a starter set now.

TheLawinator posted:

How well do ogres play in new blood bowl? I loved playing them in the pc game and might be getting into tabletop.

If you can make them work in the PC game, you can probably make them work in the newer edition. Aside from the buff they got mentioned above, they also have access to a bunch of Star Players (and lost access to ones removed from the game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

Do I need to have enough models to fill out a maxed out team roster to play through a league in Blood Bowl or should I be ok with a single team box?

Depends what you mean by full roster. A full 16? Probably not. But if you've picked Humans or Orcs, you probably want two boxes to get the right amount of Blitzers/Black Orcs unless you proxy or convert.

The more recent releases have got a lot better at actually providing the team you want in one box. The Lizards team was a turning point for that.

Genghis Cohen posted:

As was said, no one is going to say anything about 3rd party or printed stuff in any normal club or store. Even in a GW store, I can only imagine it ever being an issue if you walk in shouting about how your models aren't GW stuff.

I got into a friendly chat with a member of staff who liked a Chaos Undivided warband I'd thrown together, which had some pretty big chunks of third party bits on models spanning a 20-year gap.

What makes this notable was that it was Phil Kelly at Warhammer World :keke: