Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am all for football players getting as much free poo poo as possible if we aren't going to fairly compensate them so it's good Michigan is going to Rome. I am less glad that we are going to get a million tedious stories about Harbaugh acting like a weird doofus in a foreign country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

got any sevens posted:

Also it's an advantage in recruiting that not every program can match

don't care

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Desmond King was committed to like Miami (OH) or something like that when Iowa flipped him

E: Ball State apparently but whatever, all red teams in the MAC with bird mascots look alike

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 24, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The line splits are a little wider than most traditional offenses I guess but it's a pretty generous use of "spread."

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Mixon thing was really really really bad and gross but on the whole Brent was a great play by play guy and I am beyond delighted that he's retiring to literally get drunk in Vegas and run a sports book

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Players getting free things is good

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pillsburysoldier posted:

"Well, you see, the kids were just great negotiators. They came in, full of spunk, knowing their car stuff, and talked us down to buying the car for $10. Man, we really have to talk to that sales dude. Welp, gotta make it up somewhere else. A tip of the hat to those kids"

It's def not free. But there's enough coy plausible deniability to get it going without being nailed for it.

Also the NCAA doesn't care to nail Alabama for it.

who cares

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Are we sure Sark and Lane are actually different people?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/cyclonefb/status/826895612889165824

Between this and the graphic where they made Matt Campbell look like Bear Bryant by giving him credit for a bunch of Mount Union's national titles and calling MAC division titles "conference titles", the ISU graphic guy is angling hard for a role in the Trump administration.

(two of the four stars they reference are grad transfers who were already garbage somewhere else, and they have zero 4 stars by Rivals and 247)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think with a few exceptions all midwestern high school football stopped advancing somewhere around 1960. Most Iowa high schools run a Wing-T because, dammit, Forest Evashevski won Rose Bowls with it and who the gently caress are you to question Forest Evashevski?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

the mean lunch lady posted:

I think every high school in Missouri runs the spread

the real Midwest

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Brandon Harris transferring from LSU.

Lol

https://twitter.com/rossdellenger/status/831245362786684933

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/paulmyerberg/status/831989129097392128

This dude is gonna get tedious in a loving hurry. Also even though his resume is a lot better I can't believe Minnesota hired someone who is so Tim Brewstery again

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Academic advisor for a community college probably paid dogshit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

an adult beverage posted:

Newk's is poor man's Panera Bread. :colbert:

This sounds horrifying

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I feel so betrayed

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Dennis Dodd of CBS sports is saying Tommy loving Tuberville is considering a 2018 run for governor of Alabama.

Well then

Excited for 2020 when he abruptly resigns to become the governor of Georgia

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

look at these not ranked #1 clowns :smugdog:

tbh I had assumed ISU dropped wrestling a long time ago

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

Everything is usually a default #2 to football barring a few schools but Iowa and ISU probably like wrestling as much or more than basketball unless basketball is just amazing that year.

This is a thing people say but it's not even close to true. Iowa likes wrestling way more than anywhere else but it's still a pretty distant 3rd. Especially at Iowa State. It seems bigger than it really is because it's being compared to the interest in wrestling everywhere else (and because the people who do care tend to be extremely passionate)

That was not a serious post, I was trolling Thoguh.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 22, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

Fair enough but I do hear about you guys having like 20k audiences for Iowa vs ISU.

That would be impressive in an arena that only holds 15.

They got 42k against Oklahoma State a couple year ago but it was gimmick outdoor meet at Kinnick the afternoon before a sold out football game. It was really cool but probably not exactly repeatable

LeeMajors posted:

College baseball is pretty popular in the south and the west.

There are a million good programs in SoCal but I don't think I've heard a single person bring college baseball up in casual conversation in the 5 years I've been out here.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 22, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I heard Dallas's WR coach was looking for a job

He's been really good in Dallas!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Too low imo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
great at what

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/jake_trotter/status/835537546230784001

By actually tackling Mayfield this cop becomes the instant favorite for Big 12 defensive player of the year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
1 game seems fine for public intox tbh

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
MAC football has been low key awful for the last couple years. Pretty much the moment people noticed that the games were fun and started doing the MACTION thing it went to poo poo. CUSA games on CBS Sports Network are where it's at for fun shootouts now, provided you ignore, like, a third of the league.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Skip Holtz should be legally required to stay at La Tech forever

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's very cool that he immediatley turned his program into a halfway house for people associated with violence against women, super awesome fun guy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The tombstone thing is a cool tradition

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm sure dude is a great athlete but that feels very FloridaWeightRoomWall.jpg

Anyway we only need 14 points either way so it's fine

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Florida one had like 5 guys who would have shattered the combine record, it was hilarious

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Imagine watching people run around with a goddamn broom between their legs and unironically calling it cool

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I have no idea what the rules of the real life one are but book quiddich was a trash sport anyway. Catching that stupid winged ball thingamagig was worth way too many points

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa State's depth is such that Joel Lanning, who has not played defense since high school, is currently their starting middle linebacker. Seems maybe less than ideal.

Iowa's depth chart has some issues right now too. Matt VandeBerg, our only halfway decent wide receiver, reinjured the foot he broke last season and is going to miss spring practice. They say he'll be fine by June but that still really sucks, especially since we're breaking in a new QB. Without him we were a pretty strong contender for having the worst wide receivers in all of FBS last year. If he can't play there's a pretty decent chance we start a walk on JuCo transfer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thermos H Christ posted:

Oh man you just reminded me that in HS I was in like a generic lifting and conditioning class for people who didn't want to do a team sport that semester, and we ended up inventing an incredibly fun game we called Anarchyball. It was sort of like ultimate frisbee played with a squishy foam ball and soccer goals, except it was full-contact and you were free to run around with the ball once you got within a certain distance of the goal. Once you got within scoring range basically the whole defending team would just form a wall in front of the goal, then you'd have to pass it to one of your big players who could lower a shoulder and try to Run The Dang Ball down their throats or just dive over/through them. If the runner got stood up, the attacking team would form up behind them and try to push the whole other team past the plane of the goal.

No pads, coed. Somehow everyone always had a great time and nobody got especially injured.

We did this at recess and it was an extremely satisfying game if you were an offensive lineman who longed to score touchdowns because you were suddently the most valuable player on the team

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Harris was a good example of Les' infuriating habit of recruiting highly ranked dual threat QBs and then jamming them into a pro style offense that was a terrible fit for them. He fits what Fedora does a lot better, I could definitely seeing him rebounding. He had moment at LSU where he looked genuinely promising under the circumstances.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bo is a good gunslinging scrambly QB name

E: also he appears to be rocking a bowl cut in his 24/7 photo which in 2017 is the follicle equivalent of throwing a bomb into triple coverage, big fan of this guy already

E2: regular boring rear end white guy haircut in his other pictures, so less in, but still a good name

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 28, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/redditcfb/status/847881048956522496

Rutgers is ducking Princeton (for good reason, they'd get crushed)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Co-sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Celebrating things is cool.

• Locked thread