Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Time for the hottest of takes.

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/818821544533069825

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, so question. Who does the CFB media like to give handsies to more, Ohio State (as evidenced by that final AP poll) or Alabama?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Penn State lost one more game than Ohio State. Not sure why that is so hard for you to understand.

If we're going by losses, it should be Clemson, Alabama, then Western Michigan :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kittenmittons posted:

I'm cool with this.

This is why I hate "strength of schedule" when it comes to CFB (college sports in general, really). It's 100% arbitrary and people use it to smug when it comes to their team.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MyStereoHasMono posted:

You can't just discount the actual games played because of gut feelings and eyeball tests. In 06 everyone 'knew' the two best teams in the country were OSU and Michigan - you really going to tell me Florida should be playing OSU in the NCG? Earlier in this season many people thought Louisville was the only team that had a chance of beating Bama.

Aside from all that, its tricky to penalize a team for losing in a playoff game. AND one of USC's losses was Alabama's second biggest margin of victory of their entire season, second only to Kent State, by two whole points. So yeah I don't think its outrageous to rank UW above USC.

So why is FSU ranked above UWisc, despite Wisc having one more win and equal losses?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Going by losses and wins.

Ohio State beat three teams in the final top 10, including scheduling a marquee OOC opponent. Losses to #1 and #7.
Penn State beat two teams in the final top 10. Did not schedule a tough OOC opponent. Losses to #3, #10, unranked Pitt.

I get the idea of Penn State's head to head counting for a lot but so should everything else, its at the very least close enough to where I dont understand any indignation.

iospace posted:

This is why I hate "strength of schedule" when it comes to CFB (college sports in general, really). It's 100% arbitrary and people use it to smug when it comes to their team.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

single-mode fiber posted:

My schedule can beat up your schedule. Also my schedule works at Nintendo.

More or less. At least when the NFL says "Strength of Schedule", it's a clearly defined statistical measure (combined win-loss for all opponents, with ties being half of each).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:laffo:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Actually, what was the final bowl game standings by conference?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crotch Bat posted:

The ACC's been getting better for a few years now, it's just everyone else kinda refusing to buy in to the idea even though the evidence is clear as day, especially with how this year went. That bowl record alone is ridiculous at 9-3 but in general almost every program is in an improved state from 5 years ago and has become the most difficult out of all conferences in OOC games.

See, the ACC is the black sheep of the power 5. No one takes them seriously outside of FSU for football, though now Clemson and Louisville have been putting people on notice. Though it feels like the Big 12 is now headed to the "irrelevant conference of the power 5" as of late (which loops into how narrative plays such a big factor in determining who a "strong" team/conference is).

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 11, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

whiteyfats posted:

I've been talking up ACC chaos/ACC meatgrinder for years. :colbert:

I've only been active here in SAS only recently, to be fair. Though if you've talked to me outside of here (read: real life), I've been very vocal about how narrative determines how "good" a team/conference is or isn't in terms of public perception. Right now the spotlight is on the Big 10 and SEC. Soon enough it'll change.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

whiteyfats posted:

I was mostly joking, riffing off the tendency of even good ACC teams to have one wtf loss to a mediocre conference opponent.

Ah, ok.

I'm curious to see how FBS school fared when you actually did an NFL style Strength of Schedule instead of the whole narrative based one.

... gently caress it give me a bit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, presenting the first ever* "gently caress the Narrative" strength of schedule rankings. I'm going to do this percentage wise down to thousandths (round half to even) here because some teams ended up playing a game less than others (Florida and LSU had a game canceled, for example). Also, bowl games, conf championship, and CFP games do not count.
*maybe

Let's start with the media's favorite to fawn over and suck the dick of and say "THEY HAVE SUCH TOUGH SCHEDULES", the SEC. I'm doing the ranked (AP final ranking because that's how I started doing it) teams only unless for some odd reason someone wants the unranked, in which case I may do it.

code:
LSU      : .638 (83-47)
Tennessee: .627 (89-53)
Alabama  : .599 (85-57)
Auburn   : .579 (81-59)
Florida  : .519 (68-63)
By comparison, Big Ten ranked:
code:
Ohio State: .590 (85-59)
Michigan  : .559 (81-64)
Penn State: .534 (77-67)
Wisconsin : .531 (76-67)
So of the two media darling conferences, LSU had a tough schedule just by opponent's records, whereas Florida had a pretty soft one and cruised easily to a division championship. Rutgers did the Big 10 no favors by going 2-10, because none of the SEC schools faced a 10 loss team (neither did Wisconsin, surprisingly). Of those schools, SEC averaged out to .592, and B1G to .554.

However, it's hard to get a 1-1 comparison unless I do the rest of the conferences, which I'll probably do later. Given those are the two conferences with the largest narrative power right now, it'll be interesting to see the averages once that's all done.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

this is an extremely common component of all statistically oriented ranking systems

most go to second order opponent's opponents too

Yeah, but no one really talks about it and it always feels like they're trying to use narrative based SoS instead of stat based.

Though I've never heard of going to 2nd order.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

drunk leprechaun posted:

There are plenty of places on the internet and whatever that do good analysis like this. Football Studyhall, Football Outsiders, etc. I think you need to upgrade your choice of football media.

Probably! I really only have ESPN on at work, and it's usually the 3pm ET shows till the end of Sportscenter in the early evening (and then whatever live sports that are good go on after that, usually Wisconsin ones). I'm really only starting to get deep into it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is there one showing through Week 14?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Glumslinger posted:

Don't forget about Andrew Luck at safety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5STc2_bM7k

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Henchman of Santa posted:

By D3 standards that's totally fine. gently caress you, Heidelberg University The 'Berg!

UW-Eau Claire (also D3) is the "Blugolds" :newlol:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

UW-Platteville for the longest time didn't have a "mascot" (they were called the Pioneers though). They picked one up recently.

Also they have the World's Largest M, for what it's worth.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dilber posted:

Gettysburg College Bullets.

Our mascot was even worse.

:stonklol:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Emron posted:

I will never apologize for hating Harbaugh, Meyer, and Bielema, you hear me? Never.

Every time something bad happened to Bielema in their bowl, I laughed. I hate coaches that use Wisconsin as a launch pad up to other places.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bert was at Wisconsin forever before he moved to Arkansas. Both Bert and Anderson made lateral-at-best moves to get out of Wisconsin. Considering the stuff about low assistant salaries and defections, its more likely than not that Barry Alavarez is a bad boss to work for.

I've actually heard that about Barry from another source too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

vyst posted:

Runny eggs are gross

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

whiteyfats posted:

Runny eggs are amazing with grits. :colbert:

Runny eggs are loving rear end to clean up.

I say this as a server/busser/dishwasher. Nothing else except maybe cheese really requires any scrubbing to clean off the plates.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Joey Freshwater posted:

Rooooooxaaaaaaaaaaanne

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

look at this entitled pansy probably never played a real sport

I mean, he does play for the browns.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The thing that bites me about the whole Oregon thing is that only a fraction of the players on the team will make it to the NFL, and even of that, not all of them will do anything but be a special teams only player because they're that far down the depth chart (or practice squad).

But paying student athletes and treating them with respect? Nah.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Korranus posted:

Strong visit to Clemson but the kid tweeted he's still a Bama lean

But what does the nephew think?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

got any sevens posted:

Does anything good ever happen in Waco?

The FBI owned some fools there

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bacon Taco posted:

Which I don't mind that much except for the fact that every third homeowner is associated with Baylor football and they play up the Baylor Bears. Chip and Joanna must get a shitton of $$$ to make Baylor Football look like a bunch of regular people instead of the den of iniquity it is.

gently caress Baylor.

gently caress them for hiring Ken Starr and the poo poo he did too

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Warbird posted:

Appears to be a Tennessee troll subreddit. That's pretty good.

reddit/r/olltide

:dadjoke:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

vikingstrike posted:

In no mods Trump America do we get the SEC thread back??

No.

Actually let me-

No.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

vikingstrike posted:

Where you around for the glory of the SEC thread?

No, but I hate the SEC, so my vote is no on that principle.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Emron posted:

It's okay. I like airports, actually

:stare:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Duckaerobics posted:

https://twitter.com/FeralHogg/status/823175140661981184/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I bet print ads are getting pretty cheap. Everyone who dislikes their coach or AD should do this.

:ughh:

I bet that person is part of an HOA too

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Out of sheer curiosity, how rare is it that coaches return to their former programs like that? Bill Snyder's the only one I can think of.

E: referring to the suggestion that Pelini could go back to Nebraska, i mean

Well, given how bloodthirsty alum, boosters, and the board of regents can be at times, very.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So there's some dumb rule saying he can't take the team overseas or something?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Kids are gross and should not be had

As a server, this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, FAU's second game is in Madison.

How badly does it go for Kiffin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Henchman of Santa posted:

MSU has also flipped recruits from Temple, Georgia Southern and Boston College. Let's go!

There goes BC's hopes of finding Flutie 2.0

• Locked thread