Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
My TL is nothing but people posting scores of beating BGSU badly in football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Love seeing Matt Ryan bring his inability to win on the bigger stages from college to the pros.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I'd be a fan of college OT rules but a start on the 35 that way if you couldn't move the ball at all it would be a 45-50+ yard FG attempt rather than a 35-40 yard attempt, which is a lot more of a gimme in the pros.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

General Dog posted:

There's really not any good way to do overtime in football period, which is why it really should just be a postseason only thing regardless of what rules they arrive at.

Ties are loving dumb. I'd rather have a bad way to end the game than no end at all.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I played MLB so playing those offenses was always a ton of fun. My sophomore year we played a wing T school with two 2,000+ yard rushers in the title game and I think those guys combined for 120 yards or something. Those offenses get demoralized so fast when they get stonewalled because they realize exactly what the rest of the game will be like.

It's fun to watch those offenses go but it's really fun to shut it down on D because there's just no answer from them. They'll eventually call a pass and the QB will throw up a duck that either goes 15 yards over the receiver's head or is horribly underthrown and picked and then they go right back to rushing for no yardage.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 10, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

To ease worries a bit it's being described as "serious but very treatable" and there is currently every expectation he will return to coaching next season.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

What fanbase has the highest amount of sov citizens? Let's keep it to P5.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Pakled posted:

It's probably going to be whatever fanbase is the biggest. So Ohio State, maybe?

I'm not sure the sov citizen movement is as big east of the Mississippi but that may just be personal bias seeping through.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Maxwells Demon posted:

Per Capita? I know it's not P5 but I feel Boise State should have a bunch of them.

Yea, I feel like a G5 or FCS would be the real answer that's why I wanted to remove factors like Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, etc. that tend to breed those people in copious amounts.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Tennessee and Kentucky also seem ripe for it. West Virginia for some reason seems like you'd think there would be a solid contingent but I honestly don't get that vibe from the state. WVU fans will be more qualified to answer.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I learned about that crap long after I knew what KOTH was so re-watching episodes makes Dale even better knowing that stuff was clearly an influence on him.

I've also absolutely seen a video where a man states something very similar in court regarding how a flag looked or some other line of similar bullshit. Sovereign citizen videos are endless entertainment because it always ends with a cop arresting them or a judge humiliating them.

This is my all-time favorite video. The judge turns this all back around on the guy and has him doing mental gymnastics until he basically says the judge is bullying him because he's unable to keep up with the judge's line of questioning. Watch the other prisoners be amazed at the sovcit at first because he spouts some 1L-type bullshit then realize he's getting tooled and start laughing at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7h7uevwxt8

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

I'm relatively sure I never learned anything that Sovcit's say in 1L. It's all nonsensical and is seemingly based on the Articles of Confederation being that the Constitution was an illegal coup of the rightful government.

What I am saying is that the illuminati has taken over all levels of the legal system in this country from the judiciary to the lowest levels of legal education.

It's more like someone took Black's Law Dictionary and the mindset of a 12 year old trying to trip up a cop with some stupid theoretical questioning and mixed them together.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Buzz Williams (VT bball coach) on Beamer:

https://twitter.com/amielesser/status/831213522914799616

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Strobe posted:

News: Bill Snyder diagnosed with throat cancer.

Views: :smith:

News: Still intends to be on the field coaching.

Views: :unsmith:

Beamer had throat or thyroid cancer the offseason before he retired. He looked like poo poo for awhile fighting it but he rebounded wonderfully. Beamer's was never officially stated like Snyder's but he went in for an undisclosed throat surgery and looked as bad as you'd think someone that age recovering from cancer would look so it was kind of a 2+2=4 situation. It could have been something else but it was so hush hush secret I imagine that's definitely what it was, shocked they never disclosed it after he fully recovered but that's his call.

They are, fortunately, some of the easier cancers to battle even for old folks.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 14, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The nice lady from Last Chance U just took a job with Newks', a MS-based restaurant chain, as a marketing director. Weird move, I wonder if the popularity of the show affected her job in some way.

The real answer is she's probably making more money.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/benboulware7/status/832004173373796352

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

They'll never do anything of note. The Venn diagram of football players needed to make up a quality team plus those who want to experience Jerry Falwell's vision of "humans riding dinosaurs and no queers but curfew is at 8 PM" is not what you'd call a good one.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Pakled posted:

BYU manages to be half-decent despite largely the same recruiting disadvantages.

BYU is also attached to a much more unique set of circumstances, especially with how they're able to recruit entire groups of people based off their connection to the religion. There's no "hardcore Southern Baptist" counterpart to that and the restrictions and limitations set in at Liberty aren't naturalized parts of Baptist life as much as connections between rules in Mormon culture and rules at BYU. BYU is a natural moving point for young Mormons, Liberty isn't necessarily so for even Southern Baptists.

Let me be clear: Liberty is moving up because of a fanbase and money not because their team is actually capable of doing so. They are well behind VT, UVA, ODU, JMU, and Richmond in football. ODU only recently moved up for a similar reason but they're also located in the heart of the 757 and ODU is an easy school to get into which makes for an easy football program to build. JMU and Richmond would be similarly competitive in FBS play but both realistically belong in FCS where they truly thrive.

Liberty is going to get eaten alive in the FBS. They were a good not great team in recent years under better coaching than they deserved but are historically average at best and have barely made even the slightest noise in FCS play (one playoff appearance ever). Jerry Falwell had delusions of grandeur and built that ridiculous stadium and then turned into an online haven school and built a fanbase from it, not an actual football program.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 16, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Missouri has like 10 4* prospects for 2018, so that is the year to make a move in the state (7 of them are from St. Louis though). I hope to god Mizzou can pull at least 5 of them.

All moves in Missouri should be to ensure you're leaving the state.

e: going in to KC to get BBQ is OK, though.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

I can't believe we're gonna have a more unlikable FBS independent than Notre Dame, huge news.

Jerry hated Catholics, too. He desperately wanted a game vs ND.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Pakled posted:

Oh God, Liberty's AD is the former Baylor AD who was in charge when all the rape + cover-ups were going on.

Yea, between the creationism and homophobia and general all-around backwards outlook on life that guy was the cherry on top of a "hate us forever" sundae.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Pretty much echoes all I said. This was a move of pure ego and they're going to get embarrassed and have to slink back down to FCS like a beaten dog.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

It really is by the grace of Alabama that everyone isn't mocking the SEC East as badly as they need to be. It happens here but I mean mainstream media because that bullshit SEC miasma they insist on throwing everything through before processing it for air is the only reason that conference doesn't get more ridicule which, by the by, it absolutely deserves. It is a disaster of a division.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

DJExile posted:

Stop watching talking head shows.

Well, but the SEC East is decidedly average. It's not only bad because it's average football it's bad because it has 3 teams with no business whatsoever in being anywhere near as bad as they've been recently. One maybe even two of them being bad at the same time is just due to happen but all three? It won't last forever but while it does it definitely deserves ridicule.

The SEC as a whole last year was amazingly mediocre and not just relative to recent success, it was a shitload of average teams and literally just one quality team. When you look down conference standings and cover up Bama's record it's a bunch of 5-9 win teams. It's amazing how down they were this year.

I certainly don't expect that to be the norm but between that, bowl season, and even the title game that enormous gap that used to exist between them and the rest of the schools is very small these days.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

The Champions of Life (An SEC East also-ran) defeated your Hokies on a neutral field. Georgia did the same to UNC. Kentucky beat Louisville @ Louisville. The SEC East isn't what it used to be, but it's not a disaster. Only Florida's offense is a disaster.

2 of the 3 are early season wins and let's please not act like having a brand new coach and QB didn't massively affect VT or anything. Curious as to why you chose to leave off UGA and UF's late season ACC losses, though.

It's a lovely division in a relative sense made so because as has been said, those teams have no business being that lovely. 8-9 wins gets you fired at those schools so I will deem those types of seasons to be lovely ones. Butch Jones is gone if he doesn't win 10+ and the East next year, Smart will be on a short leash with 8-9 wins and another GT loss (don't look now but that could easily happen), and UF fans already seem sick of Mac and he's been far more serviceable than the other two.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 21, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

It's not so much that we are sick of Mac as we are understandably sick of completely dysfunctional offense.

I mean another year or two of this and you guys are going to want him out eventually. It's like I said, he's going to be a victim of Saban's longevity. I think you guys would be more OK with him if he could win the SEC now and again but it doesn't seem particularly feasible right now and how many SEC runner-ups is your fanbase going to be OK with because the answer is probably not a lot.

Your offensive woes continuing through more than one coach also won't help his bid to stay there long. I kinda see you guys parting ways eventually and people will yell at you because Mac never finished worse than 9-4 or something but then you guys have to point out how you struggled to score points his whole time and that playing second fiddle to Bama isn't the aspiration of Gator fans. Mac is a good coach, clearly above Butch Jones (jury is out on Smart but if GT starts a winning streak against him hoo boy), I'm just not sure he's what will take UF to where they were under Meyer.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 21, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

iospace posted:

How often do you hear of a school's sports programs outside of football, basketball, and occasionally hockey?

Everything is usually a default #2 to football barring a few schools but Iowa and ISU probably like wrestling as much or more than basketball unless basketball is just amazing that year.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

This is a thing people say but it's not even close to true. Iowa likes wrestling way more than anywhere else but it's still a pretty distant 3rd. Especially at Iowa State. It seems bigger than it really is because it's being compared to the interest in wrestling everywhere else (and because the people who do care tend to be extremely passionate)

That was not a serious post, I was trolling Thoguh.

Fair enough but I do hear about you guys having like 20k audiences for Iowa vs ISU.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

We've already had a look at Miami youth football. It was called "Year of the Bull" and it was amazing. Featuring a Florida Gator who later threw a keg off a balcony and hit a guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s23JTmfJOY

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

vyst posted:

Lol at the homer replies to this tweet

The guy who says "busch league" because you know he's had more experience typing the beer than the shrub.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Neil Armbong posted:

nah, busch league refers to lower tier nascar.

Oh boy, I honestly don't know which is worse then, the beer or the racing.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

In case you havent noticed the past few years sports involving children are pretty horrific

The past few years have just confirmed or brought to light what most knew anyway which is that it's always been going on. We're finally in a place in history where we don't just brush it aside, bury it, and ignore it (well, most of us).

I mean for Christ's sake, we were 2 strokes away from having a pedophile as president a decade ago. These people are, sadly, everywhere. All we can do is be vigilant and teach kids how to respond if that stuff happens to them.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That cop owns.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

1 game seems fine for public intox tbh

Yea but being embarrassed by a cop is worth another or two.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Easily one of the more dumber aspects of the sport. From Dabo's "you don't have to be here but good luck not being here" practice baptisms to the dick sucking people did over Tim Tebow's "completely unnecessary surgery tour '08" it's all so dumb and awful.

Hope Freeze is gone, gently caress off back to high school.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 27, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

He basically softballed Gundy a response about Ole Miss' bowl ban.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Lions GM going around crying about unfair it is that Mixon and others like him aren't at Combine which means teams have to do more work to evaluate those guys. Organization is worth countless millions and they're complaining about an extra few thousand spent on a plane trip and hotel room to interview the kid.

e: so we're clear, if Joe Mixon doesn't hit women again and lives a good life then I hope he uses his talent to get as much money as he can before the NFL discards him like they do all RBs at the tender age of 27 but I'm totally OK with the NFL tightening up rules on Combine invites and young adults learning that their actions can affect their future and their earning potential. He's going to get drafted in the 3rd round because he decked someone not because teams didn't get facetime at the stupid Combine. Teams that want to take a chance on him will still visit and someone will select him and (likely) get a steal.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 1, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Personally I think it's a stupid, empty gesture to bar these guys from the combine when they're definitely going to get drafted.

Understand that view point but NFL is damned if they do, damned if they don't. They either do enough to discourage and punish stuff like this or they don't depending on what side you're on and this is another case of that in practice.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

On a scale of 1 to Deliverance how many pairs of chromosomes do you have if you choose to wear denim in anything but long pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Good lord the photos and captions, though. Straight from Tumblr to Vice.

ARE THESE WHITE PEOPLE OK WITH BLACK CHILDREN AMUSING THEM FOR FREE? WE LET YOU DECIDE. JUST KIDDING THEY ARE.

• Locked thread