Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Well, I just heard a Howard Stern segment from probably 7-8 years ago where Uncle Luke recalls how much he loved pissing on girls and would take players (unspecified pro or college) and they would have "sacrifice days" where they would basically take a girl and defile her up to and including pissing on her. He also mentioned taking the Fab 5 to a strip club where they all got blown on stage.

Mondays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Nutt is offering to settle with Ole Miss for an official apology and 500k to start a state commission on sports ethics.

It seems to be a no-brainer choice because nobody but fans of those teams will even remember this happened in a few years but Ole Miss likely isn't smart enough to see it that way and will drag this out and probably lose.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Or they could just corrupt that commission early on in the process, defund it, and make it have zero power.

I automatically assumed that was what would happen. Mississippi, ethics, and a lot of cash, it just kind of spells it out for you.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

He's also not entirely wrong. Jackson has huge flaws in his game that he currently overcomes at this level with phenomenal athleticism. He won't pull the same act in the NFL, he'll have to actually sit back and pick apart defenses and read coverages. I think he'll do something in the NFL but I'm not sure how long he'll last.

As neat as those anonymous coach hot takes are, that's one Clawson probably should have either kept to himself or filtered it a bit better.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 8, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Hatin'
rear end
Spurrier

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Man, this is all sorts of embarrassing for Ole Miss. Next time, just kill the guy you mean to fire so he doesn't come back and drag his sack over your face for the world to see.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I'd totally believe someone poisoned the well for Nutt on interviews. He wasn't so objectively bad he'd be forced into other work, he was more than capable of coaching at G5 or lower P5 schools until retirement.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

What was his Arkansas scandal? The Ole Miss one was just recruiting, right? He just bent the poo poo out of the rules until they fixed them, that wasn't particularly scandalous to me, it was actually textbook SEC.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

He was loving a reporter and giving favors for that I believe? Well he never admitted it, but dude was bestest friends ever with this woman at the least, they texted constantly. Which kinda makes the whole way he's going about bringing down Freeze hilarious.

There was also something about his friends undermining Mitch Mustain I think with letters to newspapers talking poo poo on him.

Ah, I at least remember the Mitch Mustain madness. Been a long time since Nutt was at Arkansas.

My favorite part about all this is Hugh Freeze raised expectations so high at Ole Miss (because he cheated) that they're going to be massacring the next 4-5 head coaches they get for not meeting up to what Freeze did (when he was cheating). The next like 20 years for Ole Miss is going to suck hard unless they manage to find a prodigy hire which they can enjoy for like two years until LSU hires him.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

For clarification, it seems they will miss the opener against Michigan.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

:sigh:

In years past I might be more dismayed but a) UF hasn't been super exciting lately so it'll just be more of the same and b) Calloway doing something stupid off the field is nearly as reliable as the sunrise.

And whatever, this affects the kids more than it does me so maybe I'm getting old and soft or something.

Maybe the suspension will prevent the punt reception turnover that would've doomed us.

You only need like 10 points to beat Michigan anyway.

You won't score 10 points

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

VT names Josh Jackson starter. Former Cornhusker AJ Bush made a tremendous push for the job and by all accounts will still probably see some decent PT but JJ was pushing Jerod Evans last year so he's no slouch. Fuente's shown to be an awesome QB coach so whatever he says is good with me anyway.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Vaccines lose efficacy over time but because of herd immunity you rarely see breakouts because between the young and the old it can't establish a foothold and spread. However, if someone that never got vaccinated for whatever reason got it and then was all in and around people who got the vaccine 20 years ago then yea, something might happen.

Vaccinated adults don't get something like chickenpox out of the blue essentially. Vaccinated adults in constant close contact with someone who has chickenpox might, though.

The notion of that seemingly permanent immunity is kind of false. Everyone typically needs a booster or two for this as they age. Usually, though, provided you don't work with the sick, young, or elderly on a consistent basis you can typically avoid these boosters but people like teachers, nurses, etc. should be getting boosters and staying on top of their schedule.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 15, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Get your pertussis boosters folks, whooping cough is super not fun

Hopefully everyone in here either has a child or a niece/nephew and by being a good parent or uncle they got their Td booster.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Eh, it's a grad transfer, nothing wrong with getting that extra year if you can.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

99% of coaches don't know poo poo about technology or FOIA. At best some are capable of posting emojis and tweets but very few would understand a burner phone concept or the necessity for them since they don't know about public colleges and FOIA.

What you should be shocked about is Ole Miss didn't have this stuff included when/if they had an NCAA compliance-type meeting for the staff. I would think at the bare minimum each school should have these each year to explain such things and oh hey if you're going to do anything illegal which we're sure you wouldn't for the love of god don't use a phone the school owns.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Demon Of The Fall posted:

If Butch gets canned you can say goodbye to what is turning out to be a very very good 2018 recruiting class. We were up there in the top 5 weeks ago but I haven't checked lately. Those kids probably go elsewhere if we struggle to a 7-5 year with a few bad losses.

*whispers* Jon Gruden

A school like UT should never sacrifice a recruiting class for a coach that needs to go. If this was VT I'd say yea, sign that class then move on but UT recruits good regardless of the coach.

That said, there's no way Butch is there in 2020.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

GT just pulls that old bullshit VT used to do ages ago where if they were at all favored or ranked they'll inevitably poo poo the bed but they're a goddamn unholy terror to play if they're the underdog and not talked about much. Expectations make GT crumble, I think every time they came out of the blue to win the Coastal and/or the ACC the next year they do awful when they're picked to win stuff. They're a pretty popular dark horse candidate this year so I'm not really sure how to take that.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Manoueverable posted:

My parents always used to tell me weddings were horrible wastes of time but every one I've been to in my adult life has been really loving fun. They've been right about a lot of things but I don't think they can be more wrong about weddings.

I don't have anything to contribute on the subject of weddings/kids beyond that tbh

Weddings aren't wastes of time but they are wastes of money. You can 100% spend that money in better ways that will benefit you more as a couple. Blowing that kind of money in a 24 hour period is loving retarded.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

GT's awesome sophomore RB Dedrick Mills just got kicked out of school and uh, yea, GT is super hosed.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

3rd strike. He spent time on the bench last season and apparently before the season began he got in trouble as well.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Pakled posted:

Stingtalk is melting down right now.

That place is by leaps and bounds my favorite fanboard to read.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

You guys will now win your division btw

This isn't like 2014 haha you don't know about Justin Thomas we'll win the ACC this is 2015 holy poo poo we have literally no experience whatsoever at TB we're going 3-9.

Mills was probably a future 3x 1st-team All-ACC RB, this is a huge loss for GT.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

Schiano got them to a relatively consistent 6-8 wins and Flood coasted on that for a couple years, otherwise they have sucked rear end since they started regularly playing major conference opponents instead of Princeton and Bucknell

And one could argue, quite successfully, that those win numbers under Schiano were greatly increased with VT, Miami, and BC no longer in the ACC.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

alpha_destroy posted:

This semester I am taking a graduate seminar on the university (both critical theory about universities and university novels). Our first reading is The Higher Learning in America by Thorstein Veblen. It was published in 1918, but I believe he started working on in the 00's. Anyway, I want to share this footnote with you all. The sentence that triggers the footnote (it actually has two) reads: "Little need be said of the threadbare subterfuges by which (ostensibly surreptitious) pecuniary inducements are extended to students and prospective students who promise well as college athletes; or of the equally threadbare expedients by which these members of the guild of sportsmen are enabled to meet formal requirements f scholarship imposed by shamefaced intercollegiate bargaining. The first footnote tells of a university paying a player $40 a month as a bookkeeper for the janitor of one of the dorms. The second footnote reads:

Was there a third footnote that argued the validity of Piggly Wiggly national title claims?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Indiana hosed up severely in some kind of eligibility snafu and cost a DB there his freshman year. Very lovely situation, feel like someone should probably be disciplined pretty severely for it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Rutgers would probably have beaten Miami more from 2004-2011 than they would BC. Don't know how you could look at BC during those years and go "what a lovely program glad they're gone".

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Like just for the sake of argument, these are the teams from 2004-2011 (when they chose to leave for the ACC and when Schiano finished at Rutgers).

How does Rutgers not benefit massively from those schools no longer playing them?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Gosh, is this the most people have cared about Rutgers ever?

I had to check your regdate before I responded: no. Not by a long shot.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

DJExile posted:

Oh yeah if Louisville goes unbeaten and smokes whoever stumbles out of the Coastal they're gonna have an iron-clad case.

UL won't be anywhere close to unbeaten. This whole situation reeks of aTm a few years ago with JFF post-Heisman. They don't have a line, they lack skill position players, and they crumbled down the stretch last year once people learned how to attack Jackson best.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

That's my point. Clemson needed a miracle to beat NC State.

They had the game of their lives against Alabama after a warm up game against a trash OSU team.

Louisville will be fine.

VT was 20 yards from tying Clemson, NCSU almost beat them, Pitt did. Seriously, go look at their post-FSU schedule. No quality win whatsoever and they struggled massively with a lot of teams they shouldn't including finishing the season by losing 3 straight and getting manhandled in two of the games.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 22, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

That's my point. Clemson needed a miracle to beat NC State.

They had the game of their lives against Alabama after a warm up game against a trash OSU team.

Louisville will be fine.

And Louisville needed a miracle to beat an abysmal UVA. UL's not better this year than they were last year. They won't go 4-8 but they're not pushing Clemson and FSU to the side en route to the ACCCG either.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Frank Beamer and Don Nehlen are the honorary captains for the VT/WVU game :thumbsup:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The thread for that tweet is full of every bit of SEC white trash you can imagine.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Dilber posted:

I mean, yeah. You have a bunch of ACC titles, and have done better than us recently.

Don't make this about VT, motherfucking Duke has more ACC success than Miami.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Well thank god for small miracles.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Always root against Cuse.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Neil Armbong posted:

Conference solidarity is the stupidest thing. I want every other member of the big 12, especially OU, to get housed as often as possible, especially in bowl games.

It's an underrated aspect to how college sports can work. Recruits buy into that poo poo hard. Bad SEC football programs recruit because they can tell kids "come play against Bama in front of 100,000". It works similarly in basketball for ACC teams, you just sell kids on playing against the best of the best in front of packed houses.

In both major revenue sports the more successful your conference is the better it is for your school. More bowls/NCAAT means more cash for your school. If your conference looks really good you can even swing a network deal which is serious money. I don't like a lot of ACC schools but if them winning doesn't affect VT I'm all for it because in the end it's usually to VT's benefit. I usually view those situations as win-win because either they win and the ACC looks better or they lose and I can revel in their misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Art Briles to the CFL as an OC.

• Locked thread