Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

FizFashizzle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1CFmuWfwFY

as far as NC - 12, it's actually a good one

But yeah the feds need to come in and set NC straight.

I mean, I guess? But that's also a form of Gerrymandering wherein members of a single party are all grouped together within the same district so as to keep them from affecting the vote in a different district. It's how you can make one ultra-strong blue district and a whole bunch of steady red districts.

It's the district dilemma: do you structure things so that people are voting with those who are similar or do you do it geographically.

Personally, I don't think you do it at all. Superdistricts are the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^ Weber + https://pitmasteriq.com/ = delicious smoked meats. $240 total for something that can't be matched until you get into the $1-$2k range. If you drop cash on a BGE or Kamado, the IQ becomes even more incredible. My next step from the Weber is a thick-metal side-smoker or a built-in brick smoker, though.

Thermos H Christ posted:

John Mueller Meat Company, the only elite-tier BBQ place in Austin that had reasonable wait times, is gone now. Because John is an irresponsible drunkard who didn't pay sales tax for years, so one day the state came and took all his poo poo. God drat he can make a brisket, though.

John was always inconsistent. Some days he'd deliver something that approached Franklin level, some days he could barely deliver a passable Rudy's. Did magic with beef ribs, but so does Micklethwaite and Stiles Switch. It probably has something to do with him being a drunkard. John did a lot for Austin BBQ (mostly training Aaron), but the scene doesn't really miss him. His best role would be to go pitmaster for someone else and have absolutely nothing to do with the ownership or running of the business.

But Micklethwaite, Kerlin, Valentina's and Brown's all have reasonable wait times and fall within elite tier. La BBQ has reasonable wait times 50% of the time. And Slab is pro-tier Tuesday night (rib night) dinner.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 14, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Neil Armbong posted:

Yeah, even my brazos style offset smoker has a shelf i can throw in it to hold coals to turn it into a big rear end grill.

You like Stiles Switch? I tried twice but got awful brisket/ribs both times. I've heard from others it's really inconsistent. This sucks, because it's like, 2 miles from my house.

Nah, it's wicked overpriced and sometimes you get great food there, sometimes it's crap.

North-side, I'm all in on Slab. Love their sandwiches for a good BBQ meat fix.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Neil Armbong posted:

There's a new place that opened on Braker before 35. I haven't tried it yet, but people on nextdoor say it was good. You tried it or heard about it?

Saw that it was open, haven't gotten to go try it yet. I know what you're talking about, though.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

LeeMajors posted:

Just buy this and google the Minion Method.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/smokey-mountain-cooker-series

I've had mine for almost 10 years and its one of the best purchases I've ever made. Fantastic beast.

I used mine once and never again. Couldn't control the heat on that.

Thermos H Christ posted:

I miss him! Every great place I've ever found has some disappointing days. At his very best I liked John's better than the couple of times I've had Aaron's. But I also happen to prefer brisket that retains some legit beef flavor and isn't just insanely smoky. For example, in Lockhart I much prefer Smitty's to Black's, but I know some Black's fanatics accuse Smitty's of being roast beef with some smokiness.

In my book Brown's and Valentina's and Mickelthwaite are good but not elite tier, and I've passed on all of them before just based on the length of the line. Elite tier to me is pretty much John Mueller (RIP), La, and Franklin. That Louie Mueller coaching tree is strong as gently caress. Also to my great disappointment I found Lambert's to be really fantastic the one time I had it, even though BBQ in a sitdown restaurant with plates and waiters and craft cocktails is a loving abomination. You sell that poo poo at the counter by weight, wrapped up in greasy paper. To-go orders go in a sack, dine-in on a plastic tray. There are rules, people.

Ah, I prefer meat candy BBQ. And Smitty's is the bottom of the elite tier. Brown's, Valentina's, and Mickelthwaite are all a notch above them (along with Cooper's Llano, Black's Lockhart), then a gap for the mueller tree BBQs. That's CenTex only, mind.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So... Texas Tech's game against EWU has been moved to Sunday Sept 3rd for TV purposes. Decent chance EWU can beat TTU: Tech's still a mess and I have no idea what they're going to wind up doing this year.

https://twitter.com/TexasTechFB/status/854369925451984901

Except also, it hasn't been moved?

https://twitter.com/EWUeaglesAD/status/854377727952130048

This is interesting...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Aaaaand, no, EWU vs TTU will happen on Saturday the 2nd as originally scheduled. What a strange sequence of events.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Henchman of Santa posted:

What was their explanation for firing Ruffin McNeil again?

He was too well liked and tied in to the Texas Tech offensive tree while his probable ceiling at ECU was 10 wins and a conference championship game appearance. This was unacceptable.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KKKLIP ART posted:

2017 is Georgia's year.

Coincidentally, 2017 is also the year of Linux on the desktop.

I mean... WSL is a thing now, so... technically?

a neat cape posted:

SDSU voted 14-12 yesterday to keep the Aztecs as their mascot.

They voted unanimously to keep it four years ago so it's only a matter of time now

Aztecs is more akin to Trojans and Spartans than the other Native American team names, though...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

a neat cape posted:

The argument presented to remove the name was that it causes psychological damage to native american students. 12 members of the student council resigned after the vote lol

What's the statute of limitations on how long a civilization has to be dead and gone before you can name yourself after them?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

Goddamn, there's still Mayans? I thought they were long gone even by the time of the Aztecs.

They sorta helped take the Aztecs down. Pointed Cortez in that direction and helped him along the path.

Didn't realize anyone actually identified as Aztec. Mexica or Nahua, but Aztec proper? I mean, they were around as an empire for around 100 years. As a concept of a unified culture for about 200. Not to denigrate those who identify as Aztecs, but it's not quite like the Indians or Redskins, ya?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

I have met people who do but even if they are not literally Aztec lots of Mexican Americans consider it a big part of their cultural heritage and are maybe not super stoked about a bunch of white American's appropriating it to sell tshirts for their sports team.

To be fair, SDSU has an almost even split between white (34%) and hispanic (31%)*.

I grew up on the border and tend to be more aware of Mexican issues than most and I had never actually heard of anyone identifying with the Aztecs. Border issues are probably substantially different than University issues.

* http://www.collegeportraits.org/CA/SDSU/characteristics

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

It's fine if they're looooooong gone, Trojans, Spartans.

I mean, that gets back to the statute of limitations thing. What's the timing. Aztec empire was a thing 500 years ago. The Aztec people are a collection of other ethnicities. Vandals were a thing 1500 years ago. Spartans and Trojans were things 2500 years ago. I'm sure there was some Greek somewhere that traces his lineage back to Sparta. Vikings were a think 1000 years ago.

We've got Swedes, Norse, Dutch, Saxons, Celts, Irish, Cajuns, Quakers, Crusaders, Goths, Hill-toppers, Pilgrims, plus all manner of Native American tribes, voluntary or not. Which of those are we too close to?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pakled posted:

I think more important than time is power dynamics. Native Americans and Mexican-Americans are historically marginalized groups that still face discrimination today, so when an institution that's largely not made up of the ethnic group in question profits from peddling their cultural heritage, it feels kinda exploitative.

Trojans, Spartans etc are okay because basically nobody holds any emotional attachment to Troy or Sparta.

Thoughts on Irish as a mascot?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I'm trying find a way to relate...

If someone was to call their team the "Jews" then I might think that a dumb name. But naming a team directly after any religion is dumb, even if that religion is also an ethnic group. It's not really about being insensitive, though.

OTOH, if someone was to name their team the "Hebrews" I would probably think that's a pretty cool team name. The Hebrews as a tribe were mean and would gently caress you up as soon as look at you.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Miami Beach Bowl moving to FC Dallas' stadium in Frisco, Texas.

Dallas Beach Bowl.

For all those lovely days along the banks of the Trinity River.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

pro-click

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Korranus posted:

ESPN laid off a bunch of on-air talent today. This is a good thing because no more Danny Kannell!

And yet, somehow, the Longhorn Network is still a thing.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

a neat cape posted:

I don't know how Fox Sports is paying Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd so much when ESPN is laying off people left and right

Because Fox Sports keeps getting outbid for sport rights which has kept their total commitment low while still raking in significant enough cash on their regional network TV deals.

Basically, ESPN spent all their money buying up TV rights, while Fox Sports is spending all their money on talent.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Cnidario posted:

figured I'd save y'all the Aggie drama.

thank you.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Despite his lack of success at Arkansas so far, I think Bert is pretty good coach, and I don't get why TFF has always hated him so much.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

an adult beverage posted:

Isn't the Yum Center the main downtown arena/venue for the city of Louisville? It's not really an on-campus named stadium. Memphis basketball plays at the FedEx Forum, but it's off-campus and at the city's main arena so I don't think that really counts either.

It actually seems pretty rare for teams to have on-campus corporate stadium and arena naming deals which I think is pretty cool. Although Florida just took a corporate naming sponsor for the basketball arena. :(

Corporate names are definitely uncommon at the college level. Big donor or legendary coach is how it usually is.

Tech's two main facilities both have corporate sponsorship. SBC bought the naming rights to the football field in 2000, which reverted to AT&T when they were bought out.

And United Supermarkets was the principle donor for the basketball stadium, so they got the first stab at the naming rights. For the first 15 or so years of its life, it had the excellent name of "United Spirit Arena" or the USA. They changed it last year to "United Supermarkets Arena" which is not near as cool, but less easily mistaken as not being corporate.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Tuberville was always giving an LS a scholarship but in the latter half of his time as a coach he didn't really give a poo poo about recruiting so he had them to spare.

FTFY

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mr. Nice! posted:

To be fair, i think Techsans wish they could forget it too.

Does the school still call people that? 15 years seems like forever ago.

Yeah, they do.

And poo poo... It's been 11 for me >_<

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Alternative explanation: NYE is on Sunday, so the NFL kicked them off. Plus the Rose Bowl is a playoff host and is always on the 1st (or 2nd).

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spintzel posted:

LSU got Texas Tech WR transfer Jon Giles. He looks to have done pretty good last year but that was with Kliff Air Raid and Mahommes... TTU goons what can be expected of him at an LSU team with no definite QB

He had some big games catching the deep ball from Pat Mahomes, but is transferring because he lost his starting spot at midseason to a faster guy named Keke Coutee and couldn't beat out 5'8" Cameron Batson on the other side in the spring.

Borderline NFL talent, possession-type receiver, still needs someone to throw him the ball.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Maxwells Demon posted:

SBNation has a set of articles on what would fix College Football

The Olympic model of amateurism sounds really interesting at the least.

The Olympic model of amateurism would codify what happens under the table for a lot of the top players. Boosters would pay players to attend certain schools under the guise of endorsements and "autographs". He argues that the top schools get the top players anyway, but I argue that parity has significantly increased since the 50's and 60's when there weren't such things as recruiting limits and benefits oversights, and allowing uncontrolled booster influence would return to that sort of concentration of talents.

OTOH, it would allow random schools to put together a big bit of cash to land a top recruiting class such as Ole Miss a few years back.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

The notion that parity is somehow more important than making sure players are treated fairly is insane to me

College football has 3 things going for it that make it interesting:

1. major programs with no margin of error (because you can be a fan with a t-shirt)
2. upsets, upsets, upsets
3. weird, crazy offenses

The NCAA has more parity now than it ever has before which means more upsets and a tighter margin of error. G5 teams can beat P5 teams and FCS teams can sometimes as well.

Allowing boosters in, officially, would give a non-traditional with some rich boosters an easier path to the Phil Knight effect, but you'll lose out on the "middle" of the conferences. One or two programs would climb to the top while the rest would be forced down to the bottom. Less upsets = less interest = NCAA not as much fun anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "they get a free education" guys. I just feel that his assertion that Olympic amateurism won't change much is not accurate. It would lead to drastic changes.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

iospace posted:

I don't see how this would end the possibility of upsets, considering this is currently the status quo. The only difference would what would attract the students, money, or the potential to be on a winning team.

Take the Big 10 for example. Right now you have Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin as the four teams dominating everyone else. What would change if one of those teams fell off because say Rutgers got lucky with some big booster with deep pockets.

Not much, really. You still have four really dominant teams and 10 teams of varying strength.

It would probably be the end of Michigan State (which had been good). And the Big Ten is a really bad example because everyone else sucks already. The Big Ten has no middle class to lose.

The ACC might be a better example. Virginia Tech was a major beneficiary of the changes that ended the wild west of recruiting. Without Alabama and the other historical programs in the area soaking up all the recruits and with a decent coach, they became a fixture. Would they keep that in a world where money dominated recruiting? How about the middle of that conference? Would NC State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, and Pitt stay middling, able to upset FSU/Clemson any given year?

Someone's going to have to go a lot further to convince me that letting boosters in, officially, wouldn't lead to further concentration of talent among urban schools or those with a few rich boosters.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Don't over estimate the effect of Pitt being in the ACC. That's not a friendly rivalry. From what I understand, that's a would rather see it burned to the ground, don't give a poo poo, would rather not play ever again sort of rivalry.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

FizFashizzle posted:

so drive an hour to lexington and welcome yourself to valhalla

charlotte is generally trash across the board

There's a Lexington in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Texas.

The Lexington in Texas hosts a bbq place called Snows which just retook the top BBQ spot in Texas Monthly's top 50. So, there you go. BBQ Valhalla.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mr. World posted:

The BBQ derail is always the best derail. Every may like clockwork.

13 years in a row that I've witnessed.

Saucer Crab posted:

The original ACC members left WVU behind in the Southern Conference in the 50s and then the rest abandoned us in the Big East in the 2000s, so gently caress them all. We've got West right there in our names, I'm happy with our new conference mates to the west.

Plus, you've even got a natural rival in the form of TTU over who gets to claim John Denver.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Korranus posted:

Been to Snow's, can confirm best brisket status. The chicken is just as good.

I must have gotten it on a bad day... the brisket was good, but not near my favorite.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Things Texas Tech needs to Fix:

Run Defense
Pass Defense
Option Defense
Turnover Defense
2 Minute Defense
15 Minute Defense
Scoring Defense
Total Defense

In other words, Tech's defense sucks.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Grittybeard posted:

I know we've talked about this before but remind me how hot Kingsbury's seat is?

Has to make a bowl game, that's all.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Texas Tech fans should be glad to see any high flying fun football after they turned their back on the Pirate for Tubbs. Just enjoy your wacky million point games even if ya'll lose 85-77. Trust me there are way worse kinds of mediocrity or unsuccess (See UVA).

Kliff just produced a first round QB how hot can his seat really be? Lubbock has never housed anything resembling defense.

I think Tech and the fans are happy with just yearly bowls and exciting games. We've had the exciting games, but he's missed a bowl in 2 of his 4 years.

It upsets me because if we fire him, he's going to go be a very, very highly paid OC for some top 10 school and will win some national championships and probably beat us badly when we wind up playing against him. A steady string of 6-6 or 7-5 seasons would be welcome at this point, though.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

I'm still not clear on why a coach can stop an adult and a different university from entering into an agreement with one another. The guy's leaving K State, so why does Snyder get any say in his life at all anymore?

I mean, it makes some sense to me to block transfers in-conference or even to teams on the next year's schedules. Picking up a player from a conference rival could give the team gaining the player valuable insight into how the other operates.

But that same deal applies to coaches, even moreso, and it happens all the time.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Mediocre is being really generous, and the defense is way worse than it ever used to be there.

That's an interesting statement. Personally, I think it was Tubs's 2nd year, under James Willis, that was the worst ever, but Kliff's 2nd year when Glasgow went on a cocaine fueled rage and quit midseason was also really, really bad.

Anyway, the defense is terrible and I think the fanbase is pretty much unanimous in their desire to see something better. We'd even be thrilled with ~30 PPG given up which is still worse than 100th overall.

If the defense doesn't take a step forward and we don't make a bowl this year, Kliff is probably going to be let go.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pakled posted:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/6/6/15724156/college-football-relegation-promotion-simulation

Bill Connelly ran a 15-year simulation to show what a promotion and relegation system would look like for college football.

My biggest worry would be that a couple of schools would eventually get caught in a cycle of relegation/promotion as the best team in the bottom league and the worst in the top league. The difference between tier 1 and tier 2 not being so great would mitigate that, but it'd be interesting in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

a neat cape posted:

San Diego State is probably going to end up playing at Petco Park in 2019 and then has no where to play in 2020 because the Padres think that's the year where they'll make the playoffs.

Are they tearing down Qualcomm? Is that smaller soccer stadium plan going to happen?

• Locked thread