Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs Kenny Omega - G1 Climax Final

Incredible match to top of the best G1 of all time, probably the best wrestling tournament of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Asuka (C) vs Ember Moon for the NXT Women's Title at NXT TakeOver Brooklyn III

The callbacks to prior matches, the false finishes, the selling. This was a hell of a match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

Yep. Any other year it'd be a MOTYC.

Yeah, legitimately the only reason I didn't put it as a MOTYC is because the bar has been set almost impossibly high this year. It was an incredible match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

MOTYC: Asuka vs Ember Moon NXT Takeover Brooklyn III, 8/19/17

Benne posted:

MOTYC: Asuka vs. Ember

I've already put it into the HM list, but if this gets one more vote I'll upgrade it to the MOTYC list.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

WMOTYC: Big Cass vs The Big Show, WWE Summerslam, 8/20/17

Match had pretty much no heat outside of one spot, was slow and plodding, and just generally terrible/boring.

2nd. Also Cass is meant to be the heel in this feud!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll put in an HM nomination for the Fatal Fourway. Would have been a MOTYC if Braun had won.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Kassius Ohno vs Hideo Itami in a No Disqualification match - NXT 9/6

Really fun match with a hot crowd and both guys doing a great job selling each other's offense. It's worth watching just for the low-blow spot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Kenny Omega (C) vs Juice Robinson for the IWGP US Title at DESTRUCTION in Kobe, 9/24

Not just the first defense of Kenny's US Title, but a rematch of his G1 upset loss to Juice. Here's a shocking revelation for you all - Kenny Omega is an amazing loving wrestler.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

HM: Ambrose & Rollins (c) vs Cesaro & Sheamus, WWE No Mercy, 9/24

4thed, that was a really good match though I felt the losing side actually looked like the more effective tag-team of the two.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NJPW: King of Pro-Wrestling 10/9

HM: KUSHIDA vs Will Ospreay for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title
HM: Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii for Naito's shot at the IWGP Title at Wrestle Kingdom
HM: Kazuchika Okada vs EVIL for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship

All three were really drat good matches, any other year at least one of them would have been a MOTYC but this year has just been out-of-this-world amazing for match quality.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love overdue update of the OP - please tell me if I've missed anything from the last couple of months:

Matches of the Year

08/26 | Psycho Clown vs Dr. Wagner Jr. in a Mask vs Mask match - AAA Triplemania 25
08/27 | Shuji Ishikawa (C) vs. Kento Miyahara for the Triple Crown Title - AJPW 45th Anniversary Show
09/01 | Grand Prix Internacional 2017 Torneo Cibernetico - CMLL Super Viernes
09/16 | Princess Sugehit vs Zeuxis in a Mask Vs. Mask Best Two Out Of Three Falls - CMLL 84
10/08 | The New Day (C) vs The Usos for the Smackdown Tag Team Titles in a Hell in a Cell match - WWE Hell in a Cell

Worst Matches of the Year

08/26 | Pagano vs El Mesias in a Street Fight - AAA Triplemania 25
08/26 | Sexy Star vs Lady Shani vs Ayako Hamada vs Rosemary - AAA Triplemania 25
08/28 | Marti Belle vs Rachel Evers - Mae Young Classic Round 1
09/24 | Neville (C) vs Enzo Amore for the WWE Cruiserweight Title - WWE No Mercy
09/24 | Brock Lesnar (C) vs Braun Strowman for the WWE Universal Title - WWE No Mercy

Honorable Mentions

08/28 | TAKA Michinoku & Taichi vs. BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi in a Best of 3 Falls match - TAKA & TAICHI Season 2
08/29 | Espectacular Torneo Cibernetico: Diamante Azul, Euforia, Rush, Ultimo Guerrero, Valiente & Volador Jr. vs Johnny Idol, Juice Robinson, Marco Corleone, Matt Taven, Michael Elgin & Sam Adonis - CMLL Arena Puebla
09/04 | Braun Strowman vs Big Show - Monday Night Raw
09/16 | Funky Future vs. Taichi & Kanemaru for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title - NJPW Destruction in Hiroshima
09/16 | KUSHIDA vs. El Desperado for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title - NJPW Destruction in Hiroshima
09/16 | Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Intercontinental Title Match - NJPW Destruction in Hiroshima
09/24 | Kenny Omega (C) vs Juice Robinson for the IWGP US Title - NJPW DESTRUCTION in Kobe
09/24 | Dean Ambrose & Seth Rollins (C) vs Cesaro & Sheamus for the Raw Tag Team Titles - WWE No Mercy
09/27 | Killshot vs Dante Fox in a Hell of War match - Ultima Lucha Tres Night 1
10/08 | AJ Styles (C) vs. Tye Dillinger vs. Baron Corbin for the WWE US Title - WWE Hell in a Cell
10/09 | KUSHIDA (C) vs Will Ospreay for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title - NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling
10/09 | Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii - NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling
10/09 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs EVIL for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm pretty sure that marks 4, and KUSHIDA vs Ospreay has now been upgraded to a MOTYC :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HMMOTYC: AJ Styles vs Finn Balor at WWE TLC 10/22

Only not a MOTYC because 2017 has been beyond insane for quality matches, but holy gently caress this was good.

gently caress it, the 2 Sweet at the end pushed me over the edge.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 23, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Actually I'm changing mine to a MOTYC nominee too based purely on the Too Sweet at the end :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

HM: The Shield + Kurt Angle vs. The Miz's Band Of Misfits, TLC

It had problems but it was goddamn FUN enough I'll HM it.

Second. Utter clusterfuck akin to HHH vs Sting at Wrestlemania, but I loved that match too. I was grinning ear to ear by the end of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's enough for it to make the list - that's two MOTYCs from a card that a week ago was looking like it was going to be a disaster.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It has enough nominations for both so, unless I'm missing another one, I believe this is the first match this year that has simultaneously been nominated for both Best Match of the Year AND Worst Match of the Year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Price Check posted:

Kawato is super over already and ready to make the next step. I knew he had to be taking the pin yet I still bit on the near falls.

Kawato's anguish when he thought he had the 3 count only for the kickout to happen was so well done.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

HM: Kota Ibushi vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, NJPW Power Struggle

Probably an outside shot at MOTYC in another year

Yeah I'll second that as an HM - excellent final few minutes really brought it up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Jinder Mahal (C) vs AJ Styles for the WWE Championship at Smackdown, 11/7

Probably the best Jinder Mahal match I've ever seen - whether that's because he upped his game all of a sudden or because AJ Styles carried the entire match and made him look great, the end result was a shockingly good match with a hot crowd and an excellent ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

mkay0 posted:

AJ vs Jinder might not be in the top 250 matches this year

To be fair, it's been a loving incredible year for wrestling. Tanahashi vs Ibushi would have been in the reckoning for MOTY most other years.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Okada just went Nah, gonna have an all time year.

Kenny: Me too.
Okada: Doesn't matter :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Aleister Black vs Velveteen Dream at NXT War Games.

Watch this match, holy gently caress it was good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'd say HMs for Almas/Drew and the War Games match, but only because of what an insane year for wrestling quality it has been - goddamn both matches were amazing, and it's a moot point because both have enough MOTY nominations anyway.

Another incredible NXT Show, the streak continues.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WMOTYC: Women's Team Raw (Alicia, Sasha, Bayley, Nia & Asuka) vs Women's Team Smackdown (Becky, Nattie, Tamina, Carmella and Nattie) at Survivor Series.

Just a complete mess of horrible booking that seemed to actively work against the strengths of the wrestlers and the hopes of the crowd. At least they got the ending right but that was basically the only bright spot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fenrir posted:

HM: Usos vs. The Bar, Survivor Series 11/19

It started a bit slow but the spots got really good and the ending sequence was absolutely fantastic.

Yeah, match of the night so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Brock Lesnar vs AJ Styles at Survivor Series

Goddamn that was a ton of fun and it was great seeing a motivated Brock again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WMOTYC: Team Raw (Kurt, HHH, Braun, Finn & Samoa Joe) vs Team Smackdown (Shane, Cena, Orton, Nakamura and Bobby Roode) at Survivor Series.

What the Christing gently caress....?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

Please remember Abyss vs Grado from a few weeks ago.

There are plenty of fallen trees in the forest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WMOTY: Bad Luck Fale vs BUSHI - NJPW World Tag League Finals 12/11

God this was so lame. And short. And with such a terrible ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Roman Reigns (C) vs Cesaro for the Intercontinental Title - WWE Raw 12/11

This was a great match, expertly paced with an drat good ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fenrir posted:

HM: Usos vs. Rusev/English vs. New Day vs. Gable/Shelton, Clash of Champions 12/17.

That was just solid gold fun to watch and while I wish Rusev Day had won, I still enjoyed the poo poo out of it.

Second, real messy but a hell of a lot of fun

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wor.... worst match..... <sob>

Worst Match of the Year Contender: Sami Zayn & Kevin Owens vs Shinsuke Nakamura & Randy Orton - WWE Clash of Champions.

:negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

I dont remember if linking to the realhero archive is allowed or not.

Anything non-live not readily available via subscription services or other online purchase is okay to link.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Updated the match listing for the year to date up to the current day, please tell me if I have missed anything, below are the new additions for November and December:

Matches of the Year

11/18 | Drew McIntyre (C) vs Andrade "Cien" Almas for the NXT Championship - NXT Takeover WarGames
11/18 | WAR GAMES and the Match Beyond: Sanity vs The Undistputed Era vs the Authors of Pain w/ Roderick Strong - NXT TakeOver WarGames
11/27 | Asuka vs Dana Brooke - WWE Raw
12/15 | Great Space War 2017: Donald Trump, Mini Trump, Wonder Woman, Dick Flash, Brahman Brothers vs. Steppenwulf, Doomsday, Dr. Poison, Lex Luthor, Rocket Man - Michinoku Pro

Worst Matches of the Year

11/05 | Abyss vs. Grado - Impact Bound for Glory
11/05 | Stephan Bonnar & Moose vs Lashley & King Mo - Impact Bound for Glory
11/19 | Team Raw (Alicia, Sasha, Bayley, Nia & Asuka) vs Team Smackdown (Becky, Naomi, Tamina, Carmella and Nattie) - WWE Survivor Series
11/19 | Team Raw (Kurt Angle, Braun Strowman, Finn Bálor, Samoa Joe, and Triple H) vs Team Smackdown (Shane McMahon, Randy Orton, Bobby Roode, Shinsuke Nakamura, and John Cena) - WWE Survivor Series
12/17 | Charlotte Flair (C) vs Natalya for the Smackdown Women's Championship - WWE Clash of Champions
12/17 | Sami Zayn & Kevin Owens vs Shinsuke Nakamura & Randy Orton - WWE Clash of Champions

Honorable Mentions

11/05 | Hiroshi Tanahashi (C) vs Kota Ibushi for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - NJPW Power Struggle
11/07 | Jinder Mahal (C) vs AJ Styles for the WWE Championship - WWE Smackdown
11/18 | LIJ (SANADA & Evil) vs. Death Juice (Juice Robinson & Sami Callahan) - NJPW World Tag League
11/18 | Aleister Black vs Velveteen Dream - NXT TakeOVer: War Games
11/19 | The Usos vs The Bar - WWE Survivor Series
11/19 | Brock Lesnar vs AJ Styles - WWE Survivor Series
11/30 | Cobb & Elgin vs. Best Friends - NJPW Tag League
12/17 | Usos (C) vs. Rusev/English vs. New Day vs. Gable/Shelton for the Smackdown Tag Team Championship - WWE Clash of Champions
12/26 | Chad Gable & Shelton Benjamin vs Big E & Xavier Woods vs Rusev & Aiden English - WWE Smackdown

It has been a fantastic year for wrestling quality, even taking the perfection that was the G1 out of the equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll have a new thread for 2018 up before Wrestle Kingdom and the inevitable 4000 nominations for MOTYCs - anything from 2018 in the meantime can be posted in here and I'll count it towards the new thread when it gets posted.

• Locked thread