Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

ShadowCatboy posted:

modernized cooking methods make better food.

Young people just don't get it ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Random Hero posted:

Well, to be fair, I've never tried it without the apple, but I do it with granny smith apples and feel like the tartness adds something to it. I don't like the sauce to be overly sweet so I usually do 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup grated apple which I feel like adds enough of the sweet taste while not being too much.

I would guess the pectin probably adds a little bit of body to it as well.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I don't know why but 6 minutes is always too short when I do it; ends up with some loose watery white around the center. I usually do 6:20 these days.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Sounds like you just cooked it down too far.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

They keep cooking after you've pulled them unless you immediately ice-bath them. When par-cooking sausages I usually pull them at more of a medium doneness and then when I brown them and heat them back up it finishes them off.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Good for you for branching out with the sauce, how'd it turn out? And hey, I cook in a really nice restaurant and I'm still happy to get down on some garlic bread from the store. That cobbler looks dope too, nothing's quite as summery to me as a good fruit cobbler or crisp, especially with some ice cream :3:.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

If your pan sauce breaks you can usually bring it back with a splash of water or other liquid and stirring in a bit more butter.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Also, yeah pan-fried salmon is super common. It's even one of Gordon Ramsay's signature dishes and I would not call most of his food adventurous at all. Also, most of the time I've seen meuniere it's not an emulsified sauce. You just stir lemon juice and parsley into freshly browned butter, let the foaming calm down and baste the fish with it. I would call the sauce in that video a beurre blanc.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, maybe I'm confused. What's the difference between a separated butter sauce and brown butter?

A butter sauce is just a sauce with butter as a main component. They can be emulsified sauces, such as beurre blanc, hollandaise, or béarnaise, in which case if the emulsion breaks (the sauce separates) it's a flaw. But not all butter sauces are emulsified, for instance meuniere sauce or brown butter.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Catfishenfuego posted:

Soy, coconut, chili and ginger salmon with a crust of croissant breadcrumbs on an okonomiyaki style zucchini pancake.

That is so weird, lol. Bet it was real tasty though.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Kimchi fried rice is the poo poo! Great for breakfast.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Some of them are definitely pretty briney, so I'll disagree with you on them not being salty. Personally, I can take them or leave them. They're fine and I'll eat one if offered but it's nothing I'd seek out the majority of the time.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I live in Seattle and have had very fresh high quality oysters. They just don't make any fireworks go off in my brain. :shrug:

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Looks good! Sausage making is a real art, lots of ways to screw it up.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Jinh posted:

Sorry I didn't wanna post too many pics like last time

Goddamn, dude. That looks righteous.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Nice layers!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Vadouvan is so good.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Love a good Stromboli.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

I made a chickencheese. Go to the chickencheese thread. Make a chickencheese. You've still got like 5 days!

Goddamn. That is a good looking sausage.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

atothesquiz posted:

I'm working through the freezer and what's soon to expire in our fridge. I ended up making a pork wellington because I had an extra tenderloin and puff pastry in the freezer. I needed 4 or 5 slices of prosciutto but only had 3 so I had to make that work. The good eats recipe also called for dried apples; I used pitted dates that I hand chopped.

Turned out great!

drat, that looks so good. You said it's a good eats recipe? Gonna have to make that.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I made Cassoulet, turned out pretty good.

8 Chicken Thighs
1lb Great Northern Beans
1/2 lb of Pork Belly
1 lb of Andouille sausage
1 cup Carrots
1 Cup Onion
Pepper
Thyme
Bay Leaf

Oh my god...

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm not one to kink-shame, but uh

It's a thing.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I think it's worth it to just buy a bottle of Koon Chun Lye Water. It'll last you pretty much forever.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

I would have absolutely done that had, you know, I had easy access and wasn’t locked down.

Haha, yeah sorry. It was more of a "if you want to keep making ramen, this will make your life easier" kind of thing but that wasn't really clear.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

large hands posted:

xpost from the pizza thread:

couple of pepperonis last night:

Oh my gawd.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

ogarza posted:

I have leftovers for a year...

Ground some garlic and salt into a paste on the molcajete before adding avocado.

So far three days eating the same thing and it doesn't look like I will get bored of it soon.

I know someone you can send your leftovers to :swoon:

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I read that wrong and had a major wtf moment.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Love a nice bavette.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Dizamn :burger:

Thoht fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 21, 2020

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Alright, thread. You broke me down. Time to hop on that gochujang chicken bandwagon.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Torquemada posted:

Salmon and a stew made from chickpeas and green beans in a fresh cherry tomato sauce perked up with smoked paprika, tarragon and chilli.

Oh man, that stew looks so good!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Random Hero posted:

Sous vide hanger steak with Italian salsa verde on top of white beans cooked with garlic, Calabrian chiles, broth and vinegar with some thin red onions on top.

Sounds dope!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Hot drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Great looking crust!