Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Totally Reasonable posted:

I did the sodium citrate + beer trick with some feta and sun dried tomatoes on wheat sourdough. No pics because too good. It's basically a vanishing grilled cheese sandwich.

Feta needs about 10% more citrate than something more naturally melty, but the funk covers the added acidity well, and the sourdough + tomato hides the remainder.

Someone please make this with a respirator on so you can take pics before it magically disappears.

Oh wow neat, never thought of doing citrate and feta. Will give it a go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Random Hero posted:

Sous vide "Slayer" pork chop with apple puree and brussel sprout slaw:
Dang that looks great.

I got a tortilla press a couple weeks ago, but I'm getting sick of half assing mexican recipes with the ingredients available in Tokyo so I decided to do Korean tacos. Beef bulkogi and kimchi, works great.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

emotive posted:

Chorizo spiced tempeh & sweet potato tacos with salsa verde.

You're hurting me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Doom Rooster posted:

Cross-posting from the Pizza making thread.

Incoming photo dump!

Butterflied a leg of lamb, filled with finely chopped lemon zest, rosemary, salt and pepper. Trussed it back up and popped it into the sous vide at 130 for a few hours.

Took it out, skewered it and seared it over the fire to get it browned.

Ended up with a super smokey hit, which was awesome. By itself one of the best things that I have ever made.

Chilled and then sliced thin.

Ended up on a pizza with : Havarti, green olives, frisee dressed with a lemon and cured egg yolk vinaigrette, and sliced parm. Was loving awesome. Smokey, herbacious, rich, bright from the lemon, salty from the olives, nutty from the parm. Highly recommend.

Just a standard but delicious pizza with Calabrese, tomato, dry mozz and fermented chili oil.

Experimental Bananas Foster pizza. Made the sauce by itself, let it cool, used it to sauce the pie, brushed on the bananas then into the oven. Was good, but too soupy. Will use less sauce next time, and instead of just melted ice cream, will make a thicker creme anglaise. Will also precook the bananas a little and then fire in a hotter oven. I cooked it at around 650 so the bananas could cook through, but by that time, the crust had gotten too chewy. It has promise, but needs work.

The crumb on that crust has gotten pretty good huh.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Last I heard millionaires are more likely to go for well done steaks smothered in ketchup.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

kumba posted:

sticking with "poultry leg with sides" theme, i have a pair of chicken drumsticks marinated in soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, and rice vinegar browned then simmered in a pan, alongside kale w/ garlic, shallot, and lemon and buttery white rice

Chicken, greens and rice was my go to dinner when I was younger. It's a drat fine meal, imo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Since pineapples are cheap right now I made some sweet and sour pork belly and served it in the husk for the kids. They got a p good kick out of it. There's fried rice underneath the pork so they could just eat out of them as bowls.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ah man, good Cherokee Purples are the best tomatoes.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Here's my BLT except with spinach and lovely, lovely tomatoes. Homemade bacon and sourdough though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Totally Reasonable posted:

I did the sodium citrate + beer trick with some feta and sun dried tomatoes on wheat sourdough. No pics because too good. It's basically a vanishing grilled cheese sandwich.

Feta needs about 10% more citrate than something more naturally melty, but the funk covers the added acidity well, and the sourdough + tomato hides the remainder.

Someone please make this with a respirator on so you can take pics before it magically disappears.

Finally got around to doing this last night, although I used white wine instead of beer. Dunno if it's because of the extra acidity from the wine or what, but I didn't need much citrate at all to get it to emulsify.

I'm making a loaf of sourdough now and am gonna go grab some tomatoes, will post pics.

Pic of the sauce, the dark bits are oregano:

Stringent fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 6, 2017

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nice.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Lol nice. Sous vide?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

THE MACHO MAN posted:

late but first chili of the season

That's a proper chili.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
First run from my new cookbook Taste and Technique from Naomi Pomeroy. This is milk braised pork shoulder, mushrooms with parmesan and carmelized kabocha. Good recipes, pretty simple with really good explanations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oil it, salt it, put it in a hot oven, take it out and sprinkle some cheese on it?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jinh posted:

Hi, I learned how to cook about a month ago, I didn't even know how to cook a burger until like the middle of March. I'm almost 30 and the last time I really cooked was back in 7th grade, discounting easy breakfast stuff like scrambled eggs and bacon, or those packages of PF Changs.

I've been using Binging with Babish, Food Wishes, and whatever I can find to replicate food I love from restaurants, movies, and games, with more successes than failures so far. I've saved hundreds of dollars already, too. I'm new to taking photos, and that will probably be really obvious.

Cacio e pepe, I learned how to make basic pasta from scratch, and the trick of using leftover pasta water as a sauce/thickener.

Meatball subs with provolone. I learned meatballs because they seem like a cheap easy food for weekdays. I also learned how to use a broiler. The bread was martin's hoagie rolls, i think they had some sugar baked in because they browned really nicely. One day I'll work up the courage to do the food wishes rolls from scratch.

Cheddar and broccoli soup. I've never made soup, I wanted to start using more veggies in my diet, and I wanted to learn to bake basic bread. I followed the soup recipe to the letter and made ENTIRELY too much, I ate soup for a week and still threw half of the initial batch out. Could have taken a bath in the stuff.

This was kind of an important dish for me because I really wanted to learn to tolerate onions. I've always been a big loving baby about them. so I halved the amount used in the recipe and sauteed them down to basically mush. But I liked them so much I could have snacked on them by themselves!

The bread was really tasty but also super dense and chewy. I think that was on purpose due to it's intended use, but it made me want to learn how to do a nice crusty sandwich loaf. So my plan is to do a deconstructed croque madame after i get breadmaking stuff. I want to replicate the one from the game FFXV:

sorry for longpost, just found this thread and ive been saving these up for a while to share somewhere.

People learning to cook and getting over being picky eaters are two of my favorite things to hear about, so thanks for the post.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So this is what I cooked last night (and tonight, and probably tomorrow as well).

Got 10lbs of beef bones, and am having a go a making demi glace.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Inlaws brought us some katsuo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
As a child haver I empathize completely.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I made a salad, it looks like poo poo but it was quite good. Roasted kale and beets. Avacado, red onion, chicken breast and goat cheese.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Casu Marzu posted:

hazelnut macarons like what

Good poo poo op

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Casu Marzu posted:

Holla challah

V nice, mine don't look nearly that good.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

BrianBoitano posted:

Meatball sub. Half beef half pork, arugula pesto, provolone on a homemade baguette

Finally a good unwrapping video.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Random Hero posted:

Goat cheese, a little garlic powder, fresh thyme, lemon zest + juice and a little greek yogurt. It was really good and went well with the sweet potatoes that I seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, turmeric and paprika.

That's a great idea, did you come up with it yourself?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Liquid Communism posted:

My butcher had 1" thick pork chops for $1.88 per lb.

I have dinner.

Props on the green bean casserole, I need to make some of that.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

iajanus posted:

Exactly.

Also gently caress off pineapple, that's a trash burger item

Need it to cover the flavor of the marsupial meat they cut the beef with.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

That Works posted:

I made a gorgonzola bechamel with some carmelized onions and garlic over gnocchi. Topped it with some italian sausage and a bit more gorgonzola that I ran through the smoker a few days ago. It came out great.

I love this.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Breaking in my new ramekins with some lopsided souffles.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Not much to look at, but I made some pimento cheese and it's good.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I had a go at Chris Onstad’s fried chicken recipe, it’s good I like it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

toplitzin posted:

No pictures, but tonight was pork chops with an apple cider pan sauce w/ thyme and sage.

wadup pork chop crew (mines just old bay tho)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

tokyo reject posted:

Awww cool, I’m glad there’s interest! With the reality that cooking for a living is about to be really weird for the next year or so, I’m actually finding it really therapeutic and fun to go through all these old pics :gbsmith: Shoulda kept cooking for 1%’ers instead of going back to run kitchens :chef:

It’s poke time!

When Bourdain passed I was pretty upset. I figured if he can’t make it, how in the hell are the rest of us in this industry who haven’t made it that far? The kids loved Bourdain (parents were obviously very into food) so we watched the episode where he’s in Italy and makes the raviolis with the yolk in the middle, and I made some for the kids.

Was bored so I split the dough and added some spinach juice and sundried tomato purée respectively, then cut pasta dough stripes and ran it all together on the final setting through the machine to make stripes on the ravi’s.

Some chicken over orzo and squash with a simple little asparagus/parm purée

Some borscht with crab meat tossed in some meyer, creme fraiche, roasted pine nuts and beet chip garnish. This actually came out pretty good

What do you do when you want to have “Asian takeout night” but adhere to nazi-esque nutritional guidelines? How about “orange chicken squab” and “white soy and liquid shio koji marinated hangar steak broccolini beef!” :v:

Your cooking is really beautiful and this isn't the thread for this question, but you having been in the belly of the beast I feel like I have to ask. Feel free to PM me your answer or just ignore the question of course. But, having worked directly for the 1%, what are your thoughts on them? Are they in some ways decent people or are they the inhuman monsters I just kind of assume they are?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Between this and the bread thread it's kinda depressing to me how much people's jobs have been interfering with posting badass food pics.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Barbecue night.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

toplitzin posted:

"Burnt Ends" (chuck), greens, mac and cheese.

This is extremely my poo poo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

large hands posted:

kimchi fried rice with hot dog and shrimp

Need to swap the hotdog with spam next time for authenticity.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

large hands posted:

Lots more good material here

I would eat the hell out of this.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Sister in law sent me this recipe for tomato bacon jam and it's fully sick, highly recommend: https://thecompletesavorist.com/tomato-bacon-jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Eat This Glob posted:

How sweet is it with a cup of brown sugar? 56 oz of tomatoes and a pound of bacon seems like it should be balanced, but I'm a weirdo in that regard. Obviously taste is subjective; I'm just curious about your take

Yeah, I guess I should've mentioned that. I actually ended up doing the sugar by taste instead of measuring, but for me the full amount would be too sweet. I'd probably suggest a third of what's indicated and adjust according to taste.