Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Saw some monster shrimp so had to use them for something.

Shrimp and cheese grits. Used some leftover tomatillos in the sauce which gave some nice acidity to the sauce without adding lemon juice.

gently caress yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

lovely cellphone pic that's semi out of focus, but the pizza I made last night was loving delicious.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Had some friends over for pizza and made four kinds last night:

Sopressata

Shaved Brussels sprouts and pancetta

Prosciutto, cherry tomatoes, arugula

Fresh burrata

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

gently caress yes.

I made risotto using a chanterelle mushroom broth and grilled some prawns with garlic and parsley. I think we finished this in two minutes flat, so tasty.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Seriously one of the best things I've ever eaten.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Is that a Cuban I see there? How'd you do that pork?

That is indeed a cuban.

I followed the recipe from Andrew Rea - Binging With Babish - here: https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipe/2017/3/28/cubanos-inspired-by-chef

Edit: and found this authentic-looking bread recipe: https://icuban.com/food/pan_cubano2.html

blixa fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 24, 2017

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Horseshoe theory posted:

Ah, the Dale Cooper special.

As a major Twin Peaks fan, I approve of this message. And the originally posted cherry pie, of course.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I grilled a spatchcocked chicken after rubbing with oil, parsley, and garlic.

Then I served it with oven roasted potatoes and a simple salad.

It was goddamn delicious. And I made chicken stock with the scraps.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nice crust on the roasted potatoes, how did you get them browned like that?

Chicken looks great too.

Thanks! I used the technique, if not the whole actual recipe, from the Food Lab. Essentially, par-boil in water with baking soda and salt, drain and add oil that's been infused with garlic and rosemary, roast at a high temp (450) and flip once. This time I used a glass roasting pan instead of metal, which gave a slightly different surface, not quite as crisp. Still really good.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I made Serious Eats' Spanakopita and it came out great as usual.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Made a caramelized onion, ham, brie, and tomato quiche!

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Not the best picture, but I made chicken katsu with homemade katsu sauce, rice, shredded cabbage. Devoured it, so good.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I made me some Shepherd's Pie! May not look like much but drat it was tasty.

Before oven:

After oven:

Served:

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

iajanus posted:

Ooh that looks delicious! Got a recipe?

I use Alton's recipe with a slight variation (I like to add a little white wine with the chicken stock). I also messed up and forgot to put the egg yolk in the mash, so I just brushed the top with it instead.

The Midniter posted:

Looks good, but broil that poo poo yo! The crispy brown top part is the best.

Didn't even occur to me to do that. Next time!

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Ranter posted:

Where do you source your shepherd from and how much does it cost?

Wales or New Zealand. Generally caught wild, hunting license fee is pretty low.

Edit:

Tonight I made some beef tenderloin (sous vide, finished on grill) with Kenji's roast potatoes, cognac cream sauce, and broccoli. I missed out on the last two weekends due to illness so gently caress it, went posh. Goddamn licked my plate clean.

blixa fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 27, 2018

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Yesterday was lasagna day. Many hours spent in the kitchen, result totally worth it.

Unfortunately forgot to take a picture of a piece on a plate but it was goddamn delicious.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
gently caress yeah tomtegröt!

I made carbonara and it was goddamn delicious.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Picture's a little blurry, but there was pizza on the table last night.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I baked some rye bread with dill seed, caraway seed, and fennel seed:

I put some mustard, roasted turkey, tomato, and dill havarti cheese in there:

I toasted the gently caress out of them sandwiches and added Kenji's roast potatoes:

And it was good.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Veritek83 posted:

drat that's some pretty bread.

And delicious! I used this recipe but added the fennel and dill seed. Baked it in a loaf tin instead of free form.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Tonight was potatoes, sausages, and chicken legs.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Pan pizza last night. So friggin' delicious.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Pizza night. First one was dry salami, basil.

In the oven:

Out of the oven:

Money shot disappeared from my phone or didn't snap right so that's all I got.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Ranter posted:

That looks so good. Do you like crispy salami? Next time you could leave it on top of the cheese and hope it curls up and browns on the edges... now I'm hungry

I usually do when making a pan pizza or similar, but I should probably do the same when I make this kind too!

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Pizza night. Pan pizza, to be exact. 14 inches, to be more exact.

Pre-oven (with a banana for scale not because Imgur but because it was right there):

Post-oven:

Crappy shot of underside and crumb:

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Tendales posted:

What I like to do is parcook the pepperoni to get the grease under control. Just lay out a single layer on a couple paper towels on a plate, and microwave for like 5-10 seconds at a time just until a bunch of the oil gets ejected, then apply to pizza as normal.

Definitely trying this trick next time.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I had a little Italian dinner party last night and made stuff. Excuse the cell phone photos.

Antipasti: two types of crostini. Burrata and prosciutto on one, mashed cannelini beans with roasted garlic and capers topped with an amazing tuna and parmesan on the other.

Pasta: squid ink spaghetti with charred corn and a garlic cream sauce and castelmagno cheese

Carne: brined and grilled pork chops with grilled peaches and sauteed garlicky broccoli rabe (and some of the corn leftover from the pasta)

Dolci: olive oil cake with freshly made meyer lemon ice cream and macerated strawberries.

Not pictured: mascarpone thumbprint and amaretti cookies.

Everything was crazy delicious.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I still have dreams about the food in the post above, thanks for the kind comments.

Tonight was pizza night. Tomato/mozz base with burrata, prosciutto, and basil when out of the oven but still warm.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Made Kenji's Detroit-style pizza. A friend was in the midwest last week and brought some brick cheese, got the pan for Christmas.

It is friggin' delicious. Could have tried to get the pepperoni a little more crisp but I was worried about burning the crust.

In the pan

Out of the pan

A big-rear end slice

Crust shot

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Last night was pizza night.

Classic Margeritha

Prosciutto

Prosciutto with garlic

Burrata with arugula

Margeritha with extra cheese

Fed four people and a toddler and we were insanely full.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

charliebravo77 posted:

Made some ramen for dinner. Started the noodles (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2020/04/easy-ramen-noodles.html) last night, then tonight made a soup base from turkey stock made with thanksgiving's bones, dashi, miso, etc. Cooked some pork belly sous vide then crisped and glazed it in the bag juice, agave and soy sauce. Also started some soy eggs the other day for tonight. Had some mushrooms that needed to be used so sauteed them with some onion and seasoned with togarashi. Not exactly authentic, but tasted great.

Bakedbaking soda is kind of a pain in the dick and it smells weird, but the noodles had that classic ramen bite to them so I guess I can't argue with the results of making your own caustic powders at home.

That looks insanely amazing.

What sort of pasta cutter are you using?

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

charliebravo77 posted:

Marcato Design 8320 Atlas 150 https://amzn.to/35QQ4jP
It comes with the fettucini & spaghetti/tagliolini cutter attachment, but you can get all sorts of shape cutters for it including one for ravioli that looks intriguing.

Nice, thank you. "In stock, delivery July" - oh well, no rush.

To contribute, made some pizza. Only one I took a pic of, so frigging good.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
It was a cacio e pepe sort of night.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

CaptainCrunch posted:

Thanks.
I used this recipe I stumbled on from YouTube.
https://www.ethanchlebowski.com/cooking-techniques-recipes/hoagie-rolls

Did not have the malt powder in that first batch. I ordered some and will try round two with everything else the exact same to see if I can get the proper proof to hoagie diameter.

Heh, I stumbled onto the exact same recipe (having not heard of Chlebowksi before), ordered the malt powder, and baked them a few days ago. Hoagies for lunch three days in a row - I'm not complaining!

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

His Divine Shadow posted:

As someone who doesn't like fish, it's one of the few fish dishes I do like. Those fake anchovies (what they're called here) just melt away into the casserole and leave a nice taste.

I've been making this with the "anchovies" you can find in the US for years, but this last Christmas I managed to get a couple of tins of the real stuff (Grebbestads ansjovis) and while not a HUGE difference, it definitely got "fishier" than what I've been used to recently. I don't really know which one I prefer, I think the US anchovies in a can are saltier and end up tasting less fishy, but I really enjoyed the latest version too.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Braised lamb shanks served over some polenta. Very, very tasty!

gently caress yeah, this looks amazing.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Hell yeah Falukorv, or at least something that looks like it. I think I need to get some of that when I go back to Sweden this xmas.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
We did a non-turkey thanksgiving because nobody wanted it...so Beef Wellington was the centerpiece instead.

Went the sous vide route for the meat and it turned out better than I had expected.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I finally made mapo tofu for the first time.

Is it the best picture of food I ever took? No. Too beige, which I will blame on the phone and lighting. Is it the best food I've made so far this year? Absolutely. Frigging delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Arglebargle III posted:

Dial up the chili oil and it will be pretty too!

gently caress, it was spicier than most things I've eaten in the last decade so I don't think adding more spice will be the route I take next time. But yes, it would look nicer, that's for sure.