Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoModsNoMasters69
May 17, 2023
sometimes I think the people in this thread are so childish. I'm almost certain none of you knew anything about british guyana, and he did a good job teaching about it. so he's not ideologically perfect, it's something to complain about? it's really pathetic if you're so shallow in your beliefs that you can't even listen to someone tell you about something new if they're not ideologically pure enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

NoModsNoMasters69 posted:

sometimes I think the people in this thread are so childish. I'm almost certain none of you knew anything about british guyana, and he did a good job teaching about it. so he's not ideologically perfect, it's something to complain about? it's really pathetic if you're so shallow in your beliefs that you can't even listen to someone tell you about something new if they're not ideologically pure enough.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Pretty much everyone seemed to be saying good interview but lol at those specific parts?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nodding along to the anti-communist talk about colonial projects so as to not seem shallow

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I really hate how the new guest keeps harping on the invasion of Hungary and Guyana being the "ugliest incidents" of the Cold War. I know what he's getting at but it's impossible for me to not think of Korea & Vietnam, or Afghanistan.

to me the closest comparison is Indonesia, which is pretty indisputably worse than what happened in Guyana, and this guest seemed to have no awareness of it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

This Guyana ep is fantastic fair play. I only got angry about 100 times!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Good newsletter. I do get mad about the patreon tracking links though, sucks a lot.

Mark Ames posted:

As RWN guest Ryan Grim discovered at The Intercept, in 2022, the US engineered a coup in Pakistan in cahoots with the country’s military, overthrowing its democratically elected leader, Imran Khan, over Ukraine. Khan refused to join Biden’s economic war against Russia following the February 2022 invasion, and so Biden collapsed Pakistan’s democracy. After the US helped overthrow Imran Khan, another secret deal was worked out with our friends in the Pakistan military to secretly ship Pakistan weapons to Ukraine, in exchange for the US green-lighting an IMF multi-billion dollar bailout for Pakistan.

Put another way: the US secretly colluded with IS-K’s chief sponsor to stage a coup in a nuclear power, in order to weaken Russia.

Last summer Zelensky’s foreign minister, Dmytro Kubela, visited Pakistan and met privately with Pakistan’s top intelligence officials. According to one upbeat report,
“This is a significant development, as it is rare for a foreign minister of another country to meet with intelligence officials in Pakistan. The fact that Kuleba engaged in such meetings suggests that there may be more at play than just enhancing government-to-government ties.”

So Ukraine and the IS-K's protectors in Pakistan's ISI are working closely together now.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 11:37 on Mar 26, 2024

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Patreon tracking links?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

looks like all the links in the newsletters go to a patreon URL which then redirects you to the intended site. The URL is just a hash so you can't easily scrape out the redirect. Given how long the hash is I presume it's a unique identifier for each recipient, and if you're subscribed to this then patreon has your real name and billing info to match up with the links you click :tinfoil:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

genericnick has issued a correction as of 09:41 on Mar 29, 2024

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

looks like all the links in the newsletters go to a patreon URL which then redirects you to the intended site. The URL is just a hash so you can't easily scrape out the redirect. Given how long the hash is I presume it's a unique identifier for each recipient, and if you're subscribed to this then patreon has your real name and billing info to match up with the links you click :tinfoil:

yeah, it’s so you can compare your metrics all on Patreon, rather than having to build your own. this has both good and bad points from the perspective of the person using the metrics—it’s nice to have it all in one place, but it can also get you into a silo where you can only work off their metrics and hope they’re being accurate and honest

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I am a Jamaican citizen so I'm pretty sure I'm the closest person to a SME on this topic

He was goofy but the US and UK turning Guyana into a racial hellzone is one of the top crimes they did.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I asked my Trinidadian dad what he thought of the guy and he said “oh he was a communist so that’s why the US never really let him do anything”

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this episode on haiti rocks my socks. excellent, excellent episode, and very enlightening about how a lot of the "soft power" sausage is actually made

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
"we have a lot of pedants listening" lol

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

beer gas canister posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

genericnick posted:

Good newsletter. I do get mad about the patreon tracking links though, sucks a lot.

its interesting to see how ames's view of the intercept and its work seems to have shifted over time, considering how much they poo poo on it during the exiled/nsfwcorp days and wrote the whole thing off as a cia cutout.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

post hole digger posted:

its interesting to see how ames's view of the intercept and its work seems to have shifted over time, considering how much they poo poo on it during the exiled/nsfwcorp days and wrote the whole thing off as a cia cutout.

I don't think they shat on it on being CIA as much as it was funded by EBay founder Pierre Omidyar

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I don't think they shat on it on being CIA as much as it was funded by EBay founder Pierre Omidyar

pierre, and his connections to groups like usaid, is why they were calling it a cia cut out

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

post hole digger posted:

pierre, and his connections to groups like usaid, is why they were calling it a cia cut out

It's more like a CIA public private partnership (like a lot of things, really).
Always thought it appeared as a front against the wikileaks phenomenon. The Snowden stuff was certainly a lot more under control, as far as I know the majority of the files he provided are still locked somewhere in a vault, but that doesn't mean the people working there don't believe in what they're doing. At some point management will stomp them though.
Maybe they already are?
https://twitter.com/InterceptUnion/status/1615386914739077121

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What the gently caress lol a HOI4 mod I follow (Cold War: The Iron Curtain) is adding Mark Ames in the future as a General/Advisor for Limonov if he manages to get in power in Russia

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Plutonis posted:

What the gently caress lol a HOI4 mod I follow (Cold War: The Iron Curtain) is adding Mark Ames in the future as a General/Advisor for Limonov if he manages to get in power in Russia

what advisor bonuses / general stats does he have

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Limonov as an alternative to Brezhnev would be pretty funny.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao, Daesh. Also how they clearly had already completely given up on that guy explaining the acronyms.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Plutonis posted:

that's awesome lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Plutonis posted:

lmfao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Radio War Cabinet Nerd

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

they gotta put ames in the red world mod

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The IS-K episode is great and I'm glad that it's saying what we're all thinking.

NoModsNoMasters69
May 17, 2023

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The IS-K episode is great and I'm glad that it's saying what we're all thinking.

Other than "isis k is a cia cut out that attacks America's enemies" (duh) I really struggled to understand most of it. The guy just said so much and assumed so much knowledge from me the viewer

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It was definitely a "gotta listen to this one a second time" for me as well but I thought it was good. Like everything made sense in isolation it was just a lot... and unfortunately on some topics you don't really know much of anything unless you know a lot.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/jtidsfriend/status/1777129422673293733?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the tl;dr that i got from the is-k episode was that IS-K and the occupation regime had a lot of semi-formal contact and some quite open collaboration at times. the impression was that the afghan occupation regime found IS-K a useful wedge group to wield against the emirate, since IS-K could plausibly claim an alternative mantle for the title of "most murderously sectarian". the idea seems to have been to divide and conquer. additionally, the ISI seems to have been pretty close with IS-K and there's at least some circumstantial evidence that the US have been providing them with direct support on some occasions

they're probably not directly controlled by the CIA or anything like that, but the case for there being some fairly meaty links between the occupation regime (and, by extension, the americans/NATO) and IS-K sounded very strong

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

beer gas canister posted:

ladies and gentlemen, we got him

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

lmao, poor bastard is gonna have that line put back at him till his dying days

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's regrettable but he has to run the gauntlet now. Everyone get your canes.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

"The buzzards might gag, but they will always feast." is a banger final line though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
incase anyone wants to lol @ some libs, there's a live one

Consolidated Ed posted:

stop recommended mark ames poo poo you dumbshit, hes a rapist. he and matt taibbi cowrote The Exile while raping their way across eastern europe. hes a huge piece of poo poo and i dont understand why people havent thrown him in a dark hole yet.

he and taibbi wrote a piece about belarus where they describe "white god syndrome", their term for going around to poor newly-ex-commie villages and exploiting the local women who think the wealthy americans will rescue them from destitution (oops they lied and left). super loving gross

go read the exile (they reprinted large portions of the paper in a series of books) and tell me these people shouldnt be in corrective labor camps