Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Disney going broke after assimilating and ruining every pop culture franchise is just too perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lucas retired sadly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe we shouldn’t let companies who make a bunch of money in one market use that power in other markets

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

In Training posted:

a $3000 dinner?????

mugged by the mouse

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PoundSand posted:

It’s cause more people are going there’s p much never going to be a workaround other than building duplicate parks or raising prices so much people stop going.

Honestly that seems to be the case for everything, like a lot of stuff started getting less fun because everything is always so crowded now I don’t really get it. is there less stuff to do, more people with the means of traveling, or what? Cause it feels like everything is always booked to the gills now, even public parks/campgrounds are slammed.

There's 80 million more people in the US than there were in 1990, 50 million more than in 2000. Just way more people now than when there were when most SA posters were kids but most of the big tourist stuff around the country is still the same size.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Most signs are showing that the Parks (at least in the US) are below their pre-COVID numbers, they have been squeezing the guests in part because they still aren't back to where they were. 2023 data is a little hazy but it may have even been a worse year than 2022.

Their media divisions haven't been doing great either; total net income has been down. Disney+ is costing them a ton and not really generating the revenue they need.

(Also, they split the revenue for their mainland Chinese/Japanese parks.)

Wasn’t the Parks division padding their numbers which how the Parks guy got put in charge of all of Disney for while?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
And the nature of neoliberalism is that you never add capacity, you always maintain or shrink it in order to extract more premium rents

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Justin Tyme posted:

A succulent Disney meal!

democracy manifest!

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch
a relative took me to Disney World once and every bottle of water was $4 it was 80°f+, 100% humidity, middle pf the summer, drinking fountains had warm water

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

the light show is extremely dope in person but i think you can actually see that part from outside the park and the rest was eh
the universal park has better roller coasters but still nothing worth traveling for or paying for

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disney has free water fountains at all bathrooms

or they did idk

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

selec posted:

the greatest piece of documentary cinema about America right now is 44 minutes long. it documents two car chases, one at night, one the following day. the chases are over within about the first five or ten minutes. what remains is the part you weep through. it took place on the 19th-21st of last month in Arkansas.

same deputy both times, passenger in the truck of the first chase is the driver of the car in the second. took six doses of narcan to keep her alive after the second chase ends.

good news! chud sheriffs are lobbying to avoid carrying narcan/avoid needing to revive ODs. just like free meals for kids in chud states, the attitude seems to be a gleeful "gently caress em hahahaha you triggered lib?!?!"

d2a, acab, etc

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

euphronius posted:

or they did idk

just remember to flush before you drink

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

chuds everywhere lobbying stealing my kids food

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

euphronius posted:

or they did idk

they had them but the water was room temp or warmer and a bunch like the majority they didn't have ny water pressure so you'd have to lick the metal and ive always just assumed thats immediately fatal

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

that was in like 2013? i think?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

FirstnameLastname posted:

the light show is extremely dope in person but i think you can actually see that part from outside the park and the rest was eh
the universal park has better roller coasters but still nothing worth traveling for or paying for

When we went to Epcot I took my son to see his first big model train set. Unfortunately he has the family curse cuz we were both hype as poo poo seeing those lol choo-choos go!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VTqznnC3GU

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Beached Whale posted:

At what point does Google go full nuclear and make core features of YouTube and Google unusable on any browser that supports functional adblockers like Firefox or Opera? I think they've kept support alive long enough because they don't want to end up like M$ in court with Internet Explorer but given how slimey their monopoly tactics have been in every other area that can only be so much of a concern.

the US government spending years going after microsoft for IE seems almost quaint now. Edge is the same poo poo but worse, and Google and Apple do whatever they want.

im legit amazed that google doesnt just ban adblockers they dont like from the chrome store on some pretext. whos gonna stop them, the government? lol

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

FirstnameLastname posted:

that was in like 2013? i think?

Can confirm, 2023 no water fountains. Had to drive our rental car for 20 minutes before we got to the first non-disney grocery store.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Ted Wassanasong posted:

Technically a ton of good movies became disney movies after the fact. Raising Arizona is a disney movie.

raising arizona ride where you have to put a panty on your head at the start

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FT/status/1777267712131027048?t=mQPiB_vz2VdtCKP493QRdQ&s=19

I don't think this is a good long term decision for Taiwan

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Bar Crow posted:

Wasn’t the Parks division padding their numbers which how the Parks guy got put in charge of all of Disney for while?

He was, but almost certainly the parks side is still under performing compared that era. That said, Chapek setup the type of hosing that is now commonplace.

Yeah, I would probably be very underwhelmed going to anything Disney as an adult (I mean at a certain point you could get a plane ticket to Italy). I imagine it wouldn't be as fun as a kid just due to the lines, and having your parents pull their hair out at the expense and bureaucracy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh so Arizona is American “home soil” now ?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
they could re-do the cancelled sexist pirates of the caribbean ride

yodeling and banjo music the whole time

animatronic shopkeepers popping up to shoot at you

a pack of dogs chasing the little cart you go around in

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

loquacius posted:

I feel like a social media project run with social good as a goal rather than profit would probably be worth pursuing,

Ahh, effective altruism! pretty great racket unless you steal from rich people

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

It's fine they're not actually gonna do it

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Uber and Lyft are very useful services for the disabled if nothing else and in the absence of a national shutter service are unfortunately quite essential for a lot of people

yeah especially when the driver figures out youre disabled and ditches you, its a very american experience

theres an excellent american remedy if this happens though: simply hire a lawyer, sue, and outlast their army of lawyers

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

FizFashizzle posted:

if only Disney could find a creative writer/director with the ability to take their most valuable IP and reimagine it into a fresh, compelling stories with appropriate callbacks to the original that doesn't rely on special effects and nostalgia.

Ah, well, nevertheless...
They should dig into their catalogue of lesser-known slop

The AI Wore Tennis Shoes
Destroy Witch Mountain
That drat Cat!
Blackbeard's Ghost's Revenge

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

water parks are big now and weren’t around 30 years ago or whatever

try those out

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Knight posted:

They should dig into their catalogue of lesser-known slop

The AI Wore Tennis Shoes
Destroy Witch Mountain
That drat Cat!
Blackbeard's Ghost's Revenge

I was gonna make a joke about them buying Neverending Story but that remake is apparently already happening :emo:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

When I think of manufacturing products that require a ton of water and climate control my first thought is Arizona

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

euphronius posted:

try those out

one time i went to a water park and was floating around in the wave pool and a band aid floated past my mouth

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wow don’t want to think where that has been lol

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

It's pretty much a tacit admission that we are gonna leave them out to dry, completely, when China comes knocking.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

the milk machine posted:

one time i went to a water park and was floating around in the wave pool and a band aid floated past my mouth

Don’t worry I’m sure there was enough pee floating around to keep everything pretty sterile

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Xaris posted:

radio war nerd

stop recommended mark ames poo poo you dumbshit, hes a rapist. he and matt taibbi cowrote The Exile while raping their way across eastern europe. hes a huge piece of poo poo and i dont understand why people havent thrown him in a dark hole yet.

he and taibbi wrote a piece about belarus where they describe "white god syndrome", their term for going around to poor newly-ex-commie villages and exploiting the local women who think the wealthy americans will rescue them from destitution (oops they lied and left). super loving gross

go read the exile (they reprinted large portions of the paper in a series of books) and tell me these people shouldnt be in corrective labor camps

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
all the free piss is the best part tbh

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

genericnick posted:

If you're not listening to radiowarnerd you should be. Also Blowback. Don't know any other history pod I'd recommend without reservation.

dont listen to mark ames, hes a criminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

try those out

yes they were. water parks had their peak heyday in the 80s and 90s but most are gone now. one of the last ones here shut down last year