Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think mark touched on it a bit in part 1 of this hamas series but why did the US support islamic fundamentalism so much? I can't imagine they were the only right winged factions involved in all the muslim regions. Did the US really not see any chance of blowback?

Was the US just relying on their anti communism, and probably some really racist beliefs about brown people?

I'm making my way through the back catalogue and they've made a few comments about how often britain and usa go for islamic fundamentalists, but I don't think I've heard any attempt at explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

there was a reference to ames’s review of the bible? anyone know what that’s referring to? sounds incredible

https://web.archive.org/web/20200819165326/http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail.php?ARTICLE_ID=6791

haven't read it yet, been meaning to find a copy and you spurred me into action. looks right tho

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

for a minute I wondered if this continues canada's unbeaten streak of only being mentioned via ukranian nazis. but then I remembered the guy who pretended to join isis

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

skooma512 posted:

They gave patrons a free copy of Erdogan Pizza.

I guess this isn't a money making venture per se, but the core customer base are the same people they're giving free copies to. Though if I like the book I may get a print copy anyway.

got a couple literal lols outta me in the first few chapters so thumbs up from me!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

uninterrupted posted:

the latest episode is only up on Patreon and not the public feed yet and goddamn I didn't realize how much overcast's smart speed eats up weird pauses in their dialogue. rawdogging the episode is almost unbearable

neat, I'm not the only one idly refreshing the feed in overcast hoping for the episode to appear

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Confusedslight posted:

I want to listen to episode 100 but at the same time I don't think I could handle it.

you're not missing anything. metalessons were learned

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

got to the first mention of covid as I make my way through the archive. "only a hundred and thirty cases"

one month later comes the first mention of "lockdown"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

oh I wasn't looking down on their response. if I'd been a radio war nerd subscriber at the time, that first mention on the podcast would probably have been the first time I'd heard about covid. I was not paying attention

and yeah I figured the war nerd's familiarity italy and/or annibale would confirm the severity pretty quick. guess I have more annibale to look forward to!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

like 1/3 of the time the subject doesn't sound super interesting but annibale makes it interesting, 1/3 I end up not paying a ton of attention, 1/3 I'm in from the start. pretty good hit rate for such a frequent guest

accent was easy to get used to, git good haters

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

understanding accents is 100% a worthwhile skill