Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

AnimeIsTrash posted:

3 episodes this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

AnimeIsTrash posted:

3 episodes this week

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

3 episodes this week

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
was it RWN which told the story of president of a eastern/central Europe that met his american wife who worked for USAID or the state department or something? iirc they met on a plane?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Great interview, curious to read the book but lol even this guest had to constantly reaffirm his stance against hamas at every opportunity

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The war nerd community is gonna have to make some sacrifices.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

Great interview, curious to read the book but lol even this guest had to constantly reaffirm his stance against hamas at every opportunity

yeah i enjoyed it but the ending ten minutes was a bit of a nose dive

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the guy's very clearly a western liberal-left type of person, and to that style of politics it really is important to remain respectable. that means that you have to take a firm line against atrocity, and if you really believe that firm line it's better. there are obvious reasons for hamas to launch a big, bloody attack on israel even though it also carries with it enormous, obvious costs. however, since this person's politics have a strong ethical centre, that sort of thinking doesn't gel; and so what is judged for being immoral must be interpreted as irrational.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think mark touched on it a bit in part 1 of this hamas series but why did the US support islamic fundamentalism so much? I can't imagine they were the only right winged factions involved in all the muslim regions. Did the US really not see any chance of blowback?

Was the US just relying on their anti communism, and probably some really racist beliefs about brown people?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think mark touched on it a bit in part 1 of this hamas series but why did the US support islamic fundamentalism so much? I can't imagine they were the only right winged factions involved in all the muslim regions. Did the US really not see any chance of blowback?

Was the US just relying on their anti communism, and probably some really racist beliefs about brown people?

listen to the latest season of blowback

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm making my way through the back catalogue and they've made a few comments about how often britain and usa go for islamic fundamentalists, but I don't think I've heard any attempt at explanation

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i think TrueAnon NATO or maybe gladio episodes talked about how the west always empowers the most radical right-wing guys because who else would be both disenfranchised and motivated enough to be anti-communist to the point of violent political action? for europe that was the leftover nazis but since the middle east didn't have that i guess they had to go for the religious fundamentalists.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

that's right - it's not just about finding people who you share a common grievance with, you need to find the ones that are willing to do hosed up things and die for the cause

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

AnimeIsTrash posted:

yes. when the US first started arming the afghan mujahids, way back before the soviet intervention, they ran glowing writeups in every paper about how they were slaughtering the commie teachers and their slutty bitch daughters because of how much they loved freedom. the more psychotic a fundamentalist you were the better, in basically every country except iran because of weird historical processes making the religious establishment side with the peasants sometimes.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 05:48 on Oct 22, 2023

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

USA loves fundamentalists inside and outside it’s borders, it feels comfortable with them and understands them and their motivations

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I remember readind that Destroying Yemen book which had the Muslim Brothers in Egypt fight a bloody civil war against Nasser, mainly because they opposed land reform. That was also the main complaint of Northern Yemen when they split with the Egyptians. Seems like landlords were into it.
And the Saudis are still one of the core pillars of US hegemony.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the more radical sunni islamists are highly hierarchical, disciplined and reactionary, and they have a fairly well-defined political programme which is compatible with UK/US imperial interests - and they have a genuine mass social base. you can make a deal with the leaders and expect the organisation to fall in line, and their doctrines are foreign enough to any force at home that you can do some awful things to them if they start getting funny ideas without anyone respectable getting seriously upset.

this has worked and continues to work pretty well, because proclaiming genuine support for the programme of hamas is obviously more difficult for domestic oppositionists than it would be if the main palestinian combat organisation were PLFP or something

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

3 episodes this week

War causes death but also causes more episodes, so it's impossible to say whether it's good or bad.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

straight edge dentist is a good bit

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Catching up on my backlog and lmao at the drone guy. UAV endusers. Warfighters. Can't deal with this

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

V. Illych L. posted:

latest ep with vincent bevins is good

finally got around to listening, it was great. has anyone read the new book? he has to mention the NED right?

also curious about his take on hong kong. afaik, the protests worked and they got the extradition bill withdrawn. he's right that that the right-wing took it over (the fact that azov was there blows my mind) and switched to secessionist demands.

does he discuss the circumstances that lead to the protest in the first place? things like apple daily news, NED, and the br*tish deciding to implement "democracy" 5 years before the handover?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
there was a reference to ames’s review of the bible? anyone know what that’s referring to? sounds incredible

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Centrist Committee posted:

there was a reference to ames’s review of the bible? anyone know what that’s referring to? sounds incredible

https://web.archive.org/web/20200819165326/http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail.php?ARTICLE_ID=6791

haven't read it yet, been meaning to find a copy and you spurred me into action. looks right tho

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

pokeyman posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200819165326/http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail.php?ARTICLE_ID=6791

haven't read it yet, been meaning to find a copy and you spurred me into action. looks right tho

quote:

When I told my friends that I was reading the Bible cover-to-cover, an expression of worried nausea inevitably crossed their faces. It was as if I'd said, "Fellas, I'm gay, and damnit I'm not ashamed to tell you!"... only much worse. A homosexual you can beat to death with a baseball bat and the problem's solved. But a Christian is impossible to kill, like George Romero's zombies. The whole point of a Christian's existence is to get martyred, so killing one only makes it grow stronger, sprouts another hundred zombies in its place; on the other hand, if you don't kill a Christian, then they don't shut up about the Book of Revelations and how everything that's happening today has been foretold. Everyone's sat next to a Christian at least once in their lives and had to listen to their drivel. Once, on a flight to Las Vegas, I had a Christian sit next to me and tell me that the European Union was foretold as a sign of the Apocalypse, something about fifteen members as each horn on the devil or stars in some constellation or something... You know that the EU expansion will have been foretold in the Bible too, as was the WTC attack, the war in Iraq, Putin's rise to power, the Slavneft auction, the price of whores at Night Flight and so on. The Book of Revelations is just Nostradamus for wage earners- meaning the majority of idiots, as opposed to the minority.

Secular humanists tend to believe that the Bible has some kind of viral-infection power. That the very act of reading the Bible almost ensures that you'll be infected by Christianity, and you'll never be the same again-or that the act of reading the Bible is the last symptom of decay and mental illness.

Folks, reading the Bible is not in the least bit dangerous to a healthy nihilist, trust me. The Bible is aesthetically primitive, mostly boring with a few great chapters, but compared to the truly sublime culture and literature of that time - the ancient Greeks - the Jews were just hicks with a lot of energy, nothing like the Jews of today.

At times the Bible makes for decent toilet reading - The Iliad is too complex, the Greek gods too interwoven and profound to resonate during a five minute poo poo, whereas the Bible is so simple, its tales so easy to follow, that a Bible-reading-poo poo-a-day is reasonably satisfying. The bummer about the Bible is that it is much more interesting interpreted through others - Dostoevsky, Philip K Dick - than in the original.

In the interests of disclosure, I should note that I am a Jew with Catholic blood. I spent more time as a child in various houses of worship than most people. As a Jew I went first to a Reform synagogue, then forced my parents to move me to an Orthodox synagogue because I hated all the guitar-strumming hippies in the Reform one; I attended an Episcopalian chapel every morning for four years, ages 6-9; I spent at least one Sunday a month at a Catholic church since all of my childhood friends were either Irish, Mexican or Sicilian; and one grandmother who was born half-Catholic later converted to Bahai, a Persian sect, which makes me I guess one-fourth Bahai. Even within my Jewish family I'm part Sephardic and part Ashkenazi, which inspired violent storms of cross-family intra-ethnic anti-Semitism on a scale you mere European anti-Semites couldn't possibly imagine. You're all a bunch of fuckin amateurs.

I first got interested in the Bible when I lived in Kentucky and my friend Allie passed on an expensive Bible as a gift, the type with gold-trim pages and soft-leather covers and all kinds of illustrations. Allie told me that it cost 70 dollars. I've read it now cover-to-cover, and now I'm going to review it just in time for Jesus's birthday. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of space due to the glut of ads this issue, so I'll just keep my review down to a few salient points.

If you were to boil down the Bible to one theme, it would be Jewish self-hatred. All the problems that befall the Jews in the Old Testament are due to the Jews' ingratitude, deceitfulness and unfaithfulness. The New Testament is little more than Jewish self-hatred apotheosized: oh, we've finally done it now! We done gone 'n killed God hi'self! Now we REALLY have a reason to hate ourselves! Yippee!

The main difference between Old and New is that the Old Testament is racism raised to a level unimaginable in our time, whereas the New Testament reserves all its racism for Jews. The Old T's racism is a primitive, tribal racism, a racism common to its time but so dangerous today. Over and over and over, Yahweh tells the Jews to exterminate all the non-Jewish people in the land of Israel. When the Jews don't exterminate every last Chaldean or Moabite or whatever, Yahweh gets pissed off and strikes them down with a massive military defeat, or expulsion, or a venal king or a famine or something horrible. Then the Jews wail and crawl back to Yahweh, who says, "Didn't I tell you to exterminate the [name of neighboring desert tribe]." Jews: [shame-faced] "Yes, sorry Yahweh." Yahweh: "Okay, this time I'll let you off the hook, but promise me you'll exterminate your neighbors!" Jews: "Well, okay, we swear." Naturally the Jews don't exterminate all of them, they even inter-marry some, or turn to worship Baal or some other tribe's god, and then, well, look what happens: another round of misery and misfortune. If you want to understand why the Israeli religious right (and the American religious right for that matter) is so hell-bent on exterminating the Palestinians, look no further than the Old Testament. It's all there, clear as day: all Jewish misfortune and pain comes from not exterminating their neighbors. Yahweh is the first great genocide-cheerleader.

There are really two great sins that the Jews commit over and over and over in the Old Testament: not exterminating their neighbors, and backstabbing Yahweh. In fact, Jews-as-backstabbers is an entirely Jewish invention. The Old Testament is the ultimate expression of Jewish self-hatred as well as Jewish self-love. If you don't understand this about Jews, their obsession with self-hatred and self-love, then you won't understand the Bible, you'll misread it as some kind of metaphysical enigma. As poet Robert Pinsky once said, "Every Jew thinks every other Jew is either too Jewish or not Jewish enough."

Is it a good book? The Old Testament has some interesting moments, especially as it approaches something of a Kafka voice and narrative. Genesis has the spare, creepy nihilism of Kafka, while Job is the closest thing to modern literature. Judges, Samuel and Kings are clearly the height of the book's aesthetic, coinciding with the height of Jewish national power. In those three books there are real, memorable stories there that evoke a strange half-familiar world with a common thread of brutality, frailty, heroism, betrayal and stupidity. The stories of King Saul and David are about as close to a second-rate competitor with ancient Greek literature as you'll find. Ecclesiastes (not to be confused with Ecclesiasticus, which sucksius assius) is the funniest, most eXile-ish book. It starts out like this: "Sheer futility, Qoheleth says. Sheer futility: everything is futile! What profit can we show for all our toil, toiling under the sun?" And from there, it doesn't come to some kind of religious epiphany or happy ending, but rather sticks with the theme that all is useless so you may as well drink, gently caress and give up hope: "One dead fly/can spoil the scent-maker's oil:/a grain of stupidity/outweighs wisdom and glory."

And this is where the Old Testament starts getting crazy. As the Jews' fortunes go from bad to worse in the last couple hundred years before Christ, the volume of loony self-hatred ratchets up to ear-piercing pitch. Pages and pages of horrible verse (Psalms) and incredibly primitive proverbs (Proverbs, Wisdom, etc) finally devolve into sheer torrents of anger and self-hatred, nay, anti-Semitism at its shrillest. Remember Samuel Jackson's line about the shepherd and the valley of darkness and his furious anger before plugging those skate rats? That's Ezekiel, when Yahweh has had enough of Jews and rants and raves and screams about how he's gonna gently caress the Jews up big-time! He's gonna git medieval on the Jews' asses! Yeah! And they's gonna be a savior comin' too to set y'all's straight.

This is when the apotheosis of Jewish self-hatred arrives: The New Testament.

When it comes to a book that makes you really hate Jews, the New Testament has no equal. I cannot understand, reading it now, how anyone can pretend that the Jews don't come off as the greatest villains in the history of mankind, and that the New Testament isn't the source and the end-all in Jew-hatred propaganda. The Koran has nothing of the sort of Jew-hatred that the New Testament has-which might explain why Jews were always much better off under Islamic rule than under Christian rule until recently. Then again, Jews wrote the New Testament, and like I said, there's no anti-Semitism like Jewish self-hatred, which is what lies at the heart of the New Testament.

I want to repeat this: In terms of sheer anti-Semitism-inspiring power, the New Testament makes Mein Kampf look like The Nanny. I've read Mein Kampf, and I gotta tell ya, I was expecting that book to be a lot more evil than it was. Hitler comes off as just a whiny fag; if he were born today, he'd have a Robert Smith hairdo and a stack of Depeche Mode records. The case Hitler makes against the Jews pales in comparison to the case that Jews make against themselves in the New Testament. Hitler would be booed off the stage of a Jewish self-hating convention; he'd get beaned with pomegranates and hooked with a shepherd's crook in the middle of his act. Hitler whines about the Jews being rich, manipulative backstabbers. Well boo-loving-hoo, Adolf! You sound like a loving taxi driver! After a few chapters of Mein Kampf, instead of getting some kind of evil rush, I wanted to say, like Hans and Franz, "Oo, listen to ze little girlie-girl Hitler who cahn't even handle ze juden beekahz zey haff ze mah-nee. Vhat's za matter, afraid aff a few juden, huh, girlie-girl?"

Mein Kampf is Sesame Street anti-Semitism, which is why it didn't last more than a generation. But accuse Jews over and over of killing God's own son, as the Jews do in the New Testament, and then you've got an anti-Semitism that lasts thousands of years - which is really what the Jews of that time dreamed of. You can almost see them leaping in their sandals and giving each other high-fives for finally having found the ultimate expression of Jewish self-hatred. What Christian wouldn't run amok through the Jewish ghetto burning everyone alive after reading the Gospels? Any sane man would kill the murderers of his own son. But the murderers of God's son... you'd do more than just kill them! You'd... you'd... well, just look at history and you know what you'd do: just what the Christians have done.

Given the New Testament's driving force, why is it that we pretend that Christianity isn't dangerous and evil, but Nazism is? It's not as though Christians don't have a comparable Jew-kill record to match Hitler's. Beats me... but all I know is that I'm probably setting myself and millions of other Jews up for a helluva pogrom just by a talking about this. (Which means I'm just dabbling in good ol' Jewish self-hatred of the sort that produced Christianity.)

A few other comments about the New Testament: before reading it I seemed to remember, from all my years in churches, that Jesus was a pretty nice guy and I really felt sorry for him, especially the massive Jesus on the cross that I'd stare at in Sacred Heart Church. Not after reading the Gospels. Jesus is...scary. He makes the world out to be a horrible place and says things like "To him who has much he will have everything; to him who has little he will have nothing." He's pissed off in that quiet, elliptical way that makes you worried and keeps things tense. I'd like to stay out of his way, but according to him, you can't. Each and every one of us is standing in the headlights of Jesus's Peterbilt. And each of us is like Dennis Weaver from that first Spielberg movie - except that Jesus's truck would reappear even after crashing over the cliff. And that scares me. And billions of people before me.

Other observations: the Gospels are kind of an interesting read. There's a point in the first three gospels where Jesus, dying on the cross, suddenly takes back everything he's said about being the son of god and cries: "Eloi, eloi, lama sabachthani?" Which means, "Okay, forget what I said! I got a little carried away! Now someone get a ladder and a pair of pliers and get me offa this loving thing! I don't wanna die!!!"

Then there's Acts, the tale of how the first proselytizers spread Christianity. In fact Acts is mankind's first door-to-door sales handbook. Ever wonder why Middle American Christians are both so devout and such tireless salesmen? It's all here: Peter and Paul going door-to-door hawking their Amway religion to any sucker they can. The more you sell, the more sub-salesmen you get working underneath you in your pyramid scheme, the closer you get to heaven. Acts is also where expressions like "brother" and "the Way" [ie Christianity] get introduced, just in case you're wondering.

All in all you'd be better off reading the ancient Greeks than this lumbering miserable book. Judeo-Christianity is the invention of such a primitive, third-rate imagination compared to what the ancient Greeks had cooked up that it absolutely boggles the mind to think that the Bible won out over Plato and Sophocles. While Paul was running around using logic to "prove" that Jesus was the son of God, the Greeks had already postulated the existence of atoms, the circumference of earth, medicine, Rhetoric, and had already written the greatest books, plays, poems and gross-out humor [Aristophanes as the eXile's first prophet] of all time. The Greeks made you think, stimulated the imagination, gave color to the world and form to what was inchoate; the Bible edits out nearly everything in life and presents a primitive, simple, bitter version of existence that makes you want to murder and die.

If you really want to understand the Bible, see The Life of Brian and buy Sam Kinison's "Louder Than Hell" album. If you read the Bible, you will come no closer to understanding human stupidity, but you'll feel much worse about mankind than ever before. Perhaps an apocalypse wouldn't be such a bad thing.

lol man this makes me sorry I missed the exile back in its day

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Centrist Committee posted:

lol man this makes me sorry I missed the exile back in its day

that owns, never read any of mark's writing before

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Gay whiney Hitler

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
God drat.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Gay whiney Hitler

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Zedhe Khoja posted:

yes. when the US first started arming the afghan mujahids, way back before the soviet intervention, they ran glowing writeups in every paper about how they were slaughtering the commie teachers and their slutty bitch daughters because of how much they loved freedom.

wait what?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Gay whiney Hitler

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

wait what?

it's believable for propaganda at the time. those godless commies are tearing families apart and forcing children into authoritarian engineering programs

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No the mujahideen giving the slutty commie daughters a good shag and glasgow smile to correct them sounds like some sort of hosed up coomer idea.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
Any war nerd podcasts about Israel that I can get for free right now?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

LuxuryLarva posted:

Any war nerd podcasts about Israel that I can get for free right now?

yes but it's finkelstein on trueanon

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

i say swears online posted:

yes but it's finkelstein on trueanon

https://soundcloud.com/trueanonpod/its-not-too-late

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
Does Finkelstein yell at a zionist and make them cry because that's when I like him the most.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

LuxuryLarva posted:

Does Finkelstein yell at a zionist and make them cry because that's when I like him the most.

yeah he yells at Brace and Brace cries like a bitch

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

listening to the Hamas ep and I'm surprised they dismiss the "Israel let 10/7 happen" idea right away, on the basis that it's had negative political consequences for Netanyahu and Likud, and they surely couldn't be that stupid could they?

it's a great episode though and Mark speaking about his Zionist past is quite the listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

There's a big difference between "Israel did Oct. 7th" and "Israelis were warned about Oct. 7th but did nothing thinking they couldn't be beaten."