Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Does anyone remember offhand when they got the professional recording studio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

That episode was pretty mindblowing for me.:monocle::monocle::monocle:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

This interview was the first time I became aware of Blumi. I'd be really interested in his take on the 2013 coup in Egypt, since this looks rather central to the Saudi - Qatar rivalry.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

prefect posted:

The idea that the Saudis need money for any reason is so strange.

The idea that Saudi (oil) reserves are running low has been around for more than 10 years. Here is one author that was very invested in peak oil at the time quoting Al Jazeera (original page now down) https://www.eurotrib.com/story/2006/1/26/92729/4616

"Jerome" posted:

Speculation over the actual size of Saudi Arabia's oil reserves is reaching fever pitch as a major bank says the kingdom's - and the world's - biggest field, Gharwar, is in irreversible decline.

The Bank of Montreal's analyst Don Coxe, working from their Chicago office, is the first mainstream number-cruncher to say that Gharwar's days are fated.

(...)

"The combination of the news that there's no new Saudi Light coming on stream for the next seven years plus the 27% projected decline from existing fields means Hubbert's Peak has arrived in Saudi Arabia," says Coxe, referring to data compiled by the International Energy Association's (IEA) August 2004 monthly report.

And without oil there's just 30 million people sitting on dry sand.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Delivered as promised I see.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Interview was good and insightful.

The Aardvark posted:

He thought he paid for the place he stayed at but there was some weird credit card thing, and the lady who's place they were at followed him around trying to get her money even though they couldn't understand each other.

At least that's what I remember without going back to listen to it.

I think the old woman got in the taxi with him and refused to leave until he went back to her house. Then he noticed the bill wasn't paid but it was much too late to go to a bank (maybe even the weekend). All without any means of communication.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sephyr posted:

I wish there was a War Nerd meet or something here in Buenos Aires while Dolan is still around. I did message him (have talked on and off since his Exile days) about it but got no response. Then again, it seems he's been having health issues.

At least we can be sure its not a doppelganger.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The real crime was the editing of his old cast. "We will cut this part out" indeed.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

lol who actually thinks the exile is less problematic than their current stuff

Unfair. You just found the one fan of his undeergrad poetry.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

I'm a bit behind on the news, what was the US evidence other than "please let us kill some more Muslims"

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I would never demand John Dolan watch anything longer than a single season, since he actually has a life.

Attack on Titan is really good though. The newest season is insanely good and completely recontextualizes the entire show in ways that are hilarious and ludicrous, but in a horrifying way.

It's really good but the pacing is very shonen anime. The number of times they freeze the action in midair so they can run through all the internal monologues they had in the comic is probably rather irritating if you're not used to it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DrPop posted:

anime is bad

So was your mother

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

After the last Pentagon episode I wondered if the Soviets also built turkeys like the US. I know they built seas of tanks that would be utterly useless in any possible war with the US, but did those tanks also melt in rainwater?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

If you introduce the fuckers they'll multiply till they'll fill the niche they'd have? Do you think invasive species aren't a thing?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Joementum posted:

Finally got around to listening to the PR episode and I love how committed the show is to making it hard to understand what the guest is saying. Even when they get a native English speaker, the phone line is terrible or there's a storm in the background, or the connection keeps cutting. It's magical.

I feel it makes some kind of meta point that the connection quality to the PR interviewee was worse than the one to northern Nigeria during a thunderstorm.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

snoremac posted:

What are the big ones I should listen to? I've been neglecting since the Hundred Years War episodes.

Figure out when they got the professional sound guy and start from there.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Everything after the first 6 months(?) was perfectly fine. Maybe one or two exceptions for the weirder Dolan travel clusterfucks.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Drexler posted:

Folks I’ve taken the excellent advice of this thread and subscribed, can I listen anywhere besides on the patreon app? It’s terrible; it doesn’t save your place and each episode takes half the screen as you scroll through them.

sorry for the dumb question I’m a big dum dum when it comes to this sort of thing

You can just download the mp3 from the email link.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dikkfor posted:

John Dark

That's how I pronounce it now. Anibale can't be wrong.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm in the position of having more time for sports than I have podcasts. I listened to Carl Zha earlier, but it's kind of a mess and the history content has gone down lately. I switched to Citations Needed, but as they self-consciously admit you'll learn very little that wasn't already on the 2006 tinyrevolution blog. Any good suggestions for a second cast?
Edit: Guess I'll go with Revolutions.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 15:38 on Feb 13, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

THS posted:

RWN puts out a lot of podcasts a year and they are bound to come upon a stinker every so often. i just hope they don't take the facebook too seriously because there's some real fuckin nutsos on there, also james dahl seems nice but has been wrong about every major thing for a year

Dude was kind of clasping his lecture notes the whole interview, which was jarring, but it did explain what it set out to explain.
Who was James Dahl again?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Big brains at work.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The new episode is indeed pretty good and it's a good time to chant death to America anyway. Wasn't there an old episode on the Philippines that also included the elimination of a party that operated on the assumption that they could just register for the elections? If I'm not mixing everything up then that should have happened shortly after 45.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1267948716171956229

That one was also pretty cool.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I just imagined him being in his advanced eighties, but apparently not

""Piero Gleijeses - Wikipedia" posted:

Piero Gleijeses (born 1944 in Venice, Italy) is a professor of United States foreign policy at the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) at Johns Hopkins University.[1]

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Have been humming, inject them with the Wuhan flu all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ryIztqI5g

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1346927712645087233

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wish I'd saved the Integrity Initiative slides. Tells you all you need to know.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zedhe Khoja posted:

a list of Burmese militant groups is kinda like opening a paradox games save file in Microsoft word

I guess the [url =http://www.openburma.org/]map[/url] would have been nice, but

don't go on a popular podcast with your half assed webhosting.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1379089469140316162

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

New episode was great, kissinger is a piece of poo poo and I hope he dies soon.

I'm honestly ambivalent about that. Sure, he's a piece of poo poo, but how will you pick out the worst shitheads in America if "friends with Henry Kissinger" isn't around as a category anymore?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nothus posted:

We need more of Mark narrating conversations between Kissinger and Nixon.

Agreed.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/larouchepac/status/1425221922485415936
Still going strong

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

LMAO. The LaRouche episode is one of my favorites.

Nunchakus! Pro Beam!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well, where is it? Carl Zha would have released the episode already Because he never edits anything

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

i say swears online posted:

oh my god dolan insulted austrians while in salzburg at 56:30

i love him and i wish him well on his permanent visa journey

I'll allow it

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

He's going to do it. He's doing it! HE'S DONE IT WE'RE RICH!!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I wanted to get his take on the Chinese pop culture bans, but after two episodes he only managed to finish introducing his guest.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao at Chiang Kai-Shek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I could listen to Carl Zha all day

You'll have to if you want him to get to the point on his podcast.