Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I was a bit unsure with the first episode, but sign me up after the second episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
A job with a respectable employer?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That is basically that other character isn't it?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

I do like that firing a guy who obviously sucks and is at least a little psychotic is what is used to illustrate what a horrible person nameless salaryman was prior to getting in a pissing match with Being X and getting sent to World War 1 Not-Germany.

It makes me root for the psychotic little girl, but I worry about where the show will go. I hope she wins, but GodBeing X is a dirty cheater.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

The book has a lot of detail about Tanyas beliefs which I'm going to quote later because we've already seen the salesman scene now.

Also being x is an "old man commonly seen in generic novels" in the book, indicating closer ties to abrahamatic religion than the show.

Nice. I like content that enhances my watching experience.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's super edgy already. Embrace the edge.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Edgy is good until edgelords ruin it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Selling? In preorders?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

hoobajoo posted:

She won't, Japanese doesn't have gendered pronouns. I agree it's not a major thing, though.

lol

Watashi, boku and ore sure aren't gender pronouns, no sirree.

I believe Tanya refers to self as watashi, which is the least helpful. I guess I could re-watch to see if a boku sneaks in there.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

hoobajoo posted:

They aren't explicitly male or female, boku and ore are just less likely to be used by women. Plenty of tomboy characters have used boku and tough lady badasses have used ore without thereby claiming to be men.
Right, that's the point, isn't it? You just said it didn't exist. It doesn't exist in the same manner as in English, but that wasn't what you said.

Futaba Anzu posted:

they're way more related to manners than explicitly gendered
watashi is a catch all for politeness, boku signifies naivety or inferiority, ore means you think you got a big dick, and watakushi is big dick politeness
I just want to link that one page from Pandora Hearts omake.

Ore, ore, ore, ore, ore, ore.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Agreed, languages are fun and interesting.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Trump is Hitler, Tanya is Sisyphus.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It is 1923, but WWI as we know it never took place, or at least hasn't yet, but Tanya with her perspective recognizes that the same manner of cultivation is occurring.

You could say that in this timeline the factors that caused our WWI to start were successfully prevented. There were a lot of moving limbs trying to prevent the war, but all attempts just failed. Just the addition of magic delivering a message instantly could have prevented the war. So what we are seeing in Tanya's world here is that things are starting now instead of earlier.

I recommend people check out this channel for more information on WWI, because it provides great context for parallels to this show:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm missing some pop culture context, but if my osmosis is informing me correctly, that's just an added bonus.

If I missed your intended context, my apologies.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Seeing how detailed every model is in this show, it doesn't actually surprise me too much that they need another week to keep up polish. I think they already work a pretty crazy schedule, so giving them a week every once in a while doesn't bother me that much.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

mpyro posted:

Nothing new in this episode. They even reused the same music

Yeah, that stood out to me and I'm not usually one bothered by bad audio choices. It kinda ruined the choir thing that happens when things ramp up.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, thanks for thinking so highly of our position in the war, Youjo Senki. That was really nice of them.

That was pretty accurate depiction of the Oslo fjord, very well done.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Of Not!Scandinavia generally being a thorn in the Empire's side?

This has got to trigger the Russian Federation entering the war next I'm assuming?

That was pretty much a recreation of a historical battle that took place in 1940, but for some reason, they forgot about the torpedo battery, or it was never made in this reality.

I was actually amazed at how accurate they drew the landscape here, because I live like, with a panorama view of that castle.

I'm just very excited because we (or my town rather) rarely feature in entertainment from outside of Norway and being front and center in a major episode for an anime is pretty cool.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
We Zero had like one good bit with the whole murder mystery scenario, the rest was kind of average and the tension wasn't really all that there.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Tanya "The Evil" is just the first part of the series, where Tanya thinks that the best way to snub god is to reach the point where she has a comfortable life. Tanya "The Good" starts when she has an epiphany where she realizes that the best way to gently caress with god is to advance the whole world to the point where he's not needed anymore.
Hint: both of these are Evil in context of this story.

Biblical GOd tends to be a huge rear end in a top hat to otherwise good people.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Brainiac Five posted:

That's a real thing, in that calcium deficiency when you're younger impairs growth. The Japanese government encouraged milk drinking starting in the Meiji period because traditional diets were low in calcium and milk (as a byproduct of encouraging cattle ranching for beef) was an easy way to add calcium. But the majority of the Japanese populace is lactose intolerant or will develop lactose intolerance later in life, so characters who hate milk but are told to drink it are a minor stock character.

This was a fun thing here too, learning the hard way that I have some manifestation of lactose intolerance.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

It's ok, but I'm going to say that further discussion of Tanya the evil's actions don't require a disclaimer to say that you don't approve of the epic war crimes.

The amount of people on Twitter who are still really angry about Pearl Harbor makes me feel it's not entirely unreasonable to distance oneself occasionally.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sadly certain people have latched on her visa joke and videos of that are annoyingly appearing on my feed.

We truly live in a hosed up time, where people question if Nazi's were so bad after all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CrazySalamander posted:

Make sure you stick around after the credits for this one.

Suddenly I feel a little bad that he was shot down.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That did end up saving her life, so I think she's at least a little grateful.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty well established why she acts like it too, which is amazingly well-done, I mean it's literally the reason why he was killed in the previous life.

She (Viktoriya) might ironically be the biggest contender to prevent Being X's plans from succeeding flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's LeeLee herself.

• Locked thread