Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mordaedil posted:

It is 1923, but WWI as we know it never took place, or at least hasn't yet, but Tanya with her perspective recognizes that the same manner of cultivation is occurring.

You could say that in this timeline the factors that caused our WWI to start were successfully prevented. There were a lot of moving limbs trying to prevent the war, but all attempts just failed. Just the addition of magic delivering a message instantly could have prevented the war. So what we are seeing in Tanya's world here is that things are starting now instead of earlier.

I recommend people check out this channel for more information on WWI, because it provides great context for parallels to this show:

Except apparently the quotation from FMJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

Going back to last Fridays episode, there is something very fundamental that we overlooked in our discussion of Tanya's actions.

Up until this point the empire's war has been a defensive war where they have been defending their borders.

Tanya's actions were not just defending the border, she has actively crossed the border and taken aggressive action in an enemy nation.

Tanya has escalated the war.

Totally the Dakians' fault for entering the Empire without visas.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I already posted the fired dude cameo, he was one of Tanya's rejected candidates

Doomed to forever be fired by Tanya/unnamed salaryman

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hoobajoo posted:

If that's the reason for her crazy-eyes battle frenzies, I like that a lot more, as I've always thought that was a bit at odds with her regular personality and outlook. Cool.

Hasn't the magic all been basically telekinesis-based, though? All I can think of are flight, shields, and magic bullets, which are manipulating kinetic energy, so I don't know if charms are within scope for the magic here.

Don't forget optical spells which appear to range from illusions to laser beams.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hoobajoo posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot the illusion. When were there lasers, though?

Several places, although chapter 11 of the manga has a box that talks about different offensive spells and describes optical spells as being able to generate a heat beam.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Poil posted:

Those people are idiots. What did they expect would happen? Not that I condone killing civilians in any way, but surely they must have at least suspected that the Empire wouldn't just go "welp, I guess we can't do anything" and leave. Hiding behind civilians is extremely cowardly and is deliberately putting them in danger and should be considered a warcrime in itself. Why not put up some signs that say "please murder our plump, juicy and above all unarmed people" while they're at it? Besides it's totally-not world war 1 with pretty much no good guys and sure as hell the republic wouldn't have hesitated any more than the empire did before "justifying" bombarding empire cities who sprung up partisans. Shooting refugees as they flee is pretty drat awful regardless however.

In Tanya's favor it doesn't appear that she's enjoying it at all. Unlike when she sends undesirable subordinates to die in a bunker. :v:

I wonder who the breakdown guy shot at hmmmm.

Also god is totally cheating by saving that guy and it's great. He's going to be mildly upset when he sees that she's carrying the gun his daughter gave him and using it to conquer the place though. :allears:

We don't even know if breakdown guy is the one who shot. If it was supposed to be him trying to shoot at Tanya, that could easily have been her executing him.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Myurton posted:

Hey does anyone know exactly what rifles Tanya and her battalion use? Also what type of rifle did she get from that guy at the end of episode 7?

Mostly just curious if they are based off of real guns from WW1.

Also I don't know if this has been mentioned but if you check the earlier episodes Tanya's shoulder epaulets keep changing every time she goes up in rank and actually correspond to real ranks in the German army during WW1.

To me it looks like a lot of the weaponry (particularly Empire/Totally not Germany) is closer to WW2 era than WW1. For example, it looks like the combat mages are using predominately semiautomatic rifles while the service rifles of WW1 were generally bolt action. Furthermore, the bombers seem to suggest that monoplanes are relatively widespread. The rifles look kind of like the Gewehr 43, but that particular rifle lacks a bayonet mount which is clearly present this universe.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 7, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ranzear posted:

There's some artistic liberty and inconsistency, but I'm fairly certain it's the Gewehr. WW1 starting later would more likely keep arms behind, not develop them further.

I think the defining feature of this parallel universe might be a severe lack of John Browning.
We've seen no machineguns (water- or air-cooled), which Tanya even commented on in episode 5, and no '1911-ish' pistols (FN Model 1903 is more likely, being Belgian).

Of course Hickok has a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ljx5hjtUs

The comment on episode 5 isn't really relevant since that was talking about Dacia with its woefully underdeveloped military and there were clearly machine guns on the bombers in episode 6 and in defensive emplacements in episode 7. Hell, in the manga Dacia was using freaking line infantry with single shot rifles. With respect to the argument of delayed WW1 holding back arms development, I disagree. In this case, the world was effectively in a perpetual Cold War which could trigger an arms race and actually accelerate arms development. Si vis pacem, para bellum and all.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 8, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ranzear posted:

SIngle-shot rifles were prevalent through WW2, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there unless you mean muzzleloading which didn't seem to be the case; volley fire does not automatically entail muzzleloaders, just poor tactics and application. Even still Dacia should have at least carriage mounted hand-cranked guns (poo poo, Japan had those in 1868). So maybe Richard Gatling is out of the picture too. That's what Tanya was commenting on: They aren't just behind, they're hilariously behind.
I meant muzzleloading since the translator for the manga translated it as "single shot musket" and the art is roughly in line with that (hard to tell since it's always just black figures). Obviously there are differences in the two renditions since the end of episode 5 showed better capacity for repeated fire. For some reason Ch4 also shows Tanya holding what appears to be an MG 34

kirtar fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 8, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ranzear posted:

Found it. The Gewehr 98 did have a 'trench magazine' with 20 round capacity available in WW1, but the stamped stiffening pattern in the show is anachronism, they were flat sided.

So if you see that the German rifles have or don't have magazines, that's because it's not detachable, it just lets you cram four strippers in at once.

And then insert general media thing where nobody ever has to reload.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ranzear posted:

Have you seen any of the mages need to shoot more than five times in one scene? :smuggo:

You're right though, we haven't seen a single stripper clip yet alone anyone slapping one in.

Or anyone pulling a bolt for that matter. With regards to the Dacian thing, the LN translation on skythewood did actually have it as bolt-action so it was probably just a different adaptation or odd translation likely due to the context of outdated military doctrine.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 8, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Helter Skelter posted:

It might be the first real war with airborne anything.

As for MG development, there are a bunch of reasons why I think they might become even more important, especially over time. For one, give the mage a machine gun and see what happens. We're just starting to see what that looks like with Tanya.

In the manga adaptation Tanya is totally dual wielding a service rifle and machine gun on the Rhine front. At the least we do have mages with SMGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Meanwhile Solanikov and Choconikov with the biological weapons

• Locked thread