Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

I legit had this on my main Youtube playlist of favourite songs for years. It's so catchy :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

I think the GWS ruck is the biggest woman I've ever seen in person, but she's big like Liz Cambage, low jump and not hugely mobile. Metcalfe has nearly 30cm on her after jumping, and she's got some quality palming skills, certainly the most impressive of the four rucks I've seen so far.

The Marinator is boss though, and Phillips seems to have a huge fitness advantage. She is an Olympian coming off a WNBA season, so it's expected.

Looks like at least 8k here.

I was at the game too :3: Had a great time despite the rain. Great to finally see the team play, you can really tell the difference between athletes from other sports and the rest. Phillips was brilliant in the second half and Randall is a machine. Marinof was brilliant.

I am also officially in love with Sarah Perkins :allears: :swoon:

NTRabbit - you're not wrong about Metcalfe. She literally won every ruck contest except one in the first half, and after half time they were using other rucks a bit. Most of her taps looked to go to advantage too, though it's hard to say for sure since it was pretty fumbly out there.

Hope I can get free enough to go to the Norwood game in a few weeks :)

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

The first tap of the game was a nice bit of wrist work that went straight into the bread basket of a sprinting Marinator, which set the tone, though she made a bit of a nervy fumble if memory serves and didn't get a clean kick away.

Also, neither ruck girl was as tall as I thought they were, a trick of perspective and standing next to a lot of really short team mates - the GWS ruck is the tallest in the comp, but still shorter than me. Given that most, if not all, of the GSs and GKs in the ANZ championship, and quite a few of the GDs and GAs, are taller than I am, I was expecting the same.

Bit different playing GS and GK in netball though, you don't have to do much movement in those positions and height is a gigantic advantage in netball where the passes are so much more accurate and it's so much more difficult to legally spoil the ball.

Still, 189cm is around 6'3" which is drat tall for a woman. I'm 190cm and I'm pretty sure that puts me at around the 95 percentile for men of my generation in Australia, for women it must be in the top fraction of a percent already.

Metcalfe for the Crows is 185cm I think.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Kearney dominating the stats there.

What is a "possession gain"?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I love the Crows women's team :swoon:

Erin Phillips' bomb from 60m was directly in front of me, I think I scared a few poor kids in front of me when I let out a yell as it went through, hahahaha.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Nutsngum posted:

Unless you break a criminal law the government should have zero say in who you associate with.

I am not educated on this topic at all, but isn't simply associating with those gangs in a public place against the law now? I thought that was the point of the "bikie laws" or whatever they're called.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

realbez posted:

The commentators in the Hawks cats game last week said they've changed it slightly. Something to do with the impeding player having to have the potential to influence play for it to be 50. So more interpretation for the umpires.

I guess that's better than nothing. Anything that gives the umpire the ability to say "actually a 50 would be loving ridiculous in this instance" and not blow the whistle is an improvement to that abortion of a rule.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Was that number 6? I haven't had much chance to watch Brisbane this year but drat, she stuck out tonight! Just kept getting the ball and getting clear.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I'm so happy that the Crows girls won the AFLW premiership :3:

I love you Bec Goddard, and Randall and Phillips are amazing, and I still have the world's biggest crush on Sarah Perkins :swoon:

Now I just need the Crows to win tomorrow (I'll be there!) and it'll be a perfect footy weekend!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

Huh, I was sure I'd seen somewhere that if you rock up to the game early you get to welcome the AFLW premiers.

Here it is https://twitter.com/Adelaide_FC/status/845561630544936960

I had heard so too, I was hoping to get there early to see them but it will depend a bit because I'm meeting up with my parents to go so I'll be on their schedule.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Largepotato posted:

Actually it just further highlights how stupid the new rule is. Second ruckman gets there slightly late and suddenly he's not allowed to compete.

It's an idiotic rule. Pretty much any rule that requires players to specify what they're going to do in advance and then not react to what actually happens is a stupid rule.

It'd be like having forwards nominate who is going to fly for the mark.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Hooray for the Crows :unsmith: Women's premiership on Saturday and knocking off the premiership fancies on Sunday! Good weekend of footy for me :allears:

There was lots to like in their match on Sunday but seeing Otten slot back in and look completely natural was one of my favourite things. It's easy to forget how drat good he was in his first full season (second in the rising star in 2009) before having two ACLs, one in each knee. Brilliant to see him back and playing quality footy :thumbsu:

NTRabbit posted:

Telstra AFL live is stupid, I'm logged in to my account on my phone and it says I have a free subscription until 2018, I log in to the same account on my desktop and it says I have no subscription

Yeah, it's a disaster trying to use the same account on multiple devices.

The free Telstra subscription seems to be linked to the phone itself, not the account. Of course it will then offer "free registration" which of course doesn't actually involve any subscription, just the creation of a username itself. As if any service in the history of the internet has charged you money to create a username and then charged you extra to use the service.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

pkid posted:

Robbo wrote a story about the photo of Erin Phillips kissing her wife at the AFLW awards night and why we should embrace marriage equality.
But he started the article like this.....

:ughh: :ughh: :ughh: :ughh: :ughh: :ughh: :ughh: :ughh:

Perhaps more than anyone I've ever seen, Robbo seems to regularly have Correct Opinions almost entirely by accident.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Periphery posted:

I have no idea how it happened but Jack Steven has a punctured lung after the game last night.

Looks like the Saints will be without Steven, Roo and Armo for the next few weeks.

I think Josh Jenkins used some black magic to transfer his injury to Jack Steven. After being taken to the hospital Jenkins apparently doesn't have a punctured lung or broken ribs, just bruising.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Not a good week to be leading 6 goals to 2 at quarter time, apparently!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Fremantle have played one of the worst quarters of football I've ever seen, but have jagged the last couple of goals........

Port currently leading 6 goals to 2 heading towards quarter time :getin:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

The Deadly Hume posted:

Now, I've another weird new thing on the boil, although it's so new and weird that, well, for some reason it thinks Adelaide are 72% to finish first, which doesn't sound right.

Blue is first, Red is second, Green is 3rd/4th, Yellow is 5th-8th

The Deadly Hume posted:

I'm not happy with my model from this early in the season, basically. It's spitting out some ridiculous numbers, not just for positions, but for the scores and percentages, like 226% for Adelaide.

:getin:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Yeah, he's a bit of a prick.

We have our own equivalent in Adelaide in Michaelangelo Rucci who has succeeded in pissing off both the Crows and Port, so now he just makes things up saying "The Advertiser understands that" and if he's right he acts like it was a scoop, and when it's not (which it almost never is) he acts as though something dramatic must have happened for it to change.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Jesus, what are they doing putting those two on TV? There's obviously something not right in both of their heads.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

https://twitter.com/Rob_Lucas/status/851463088393998337

Also 'what game was Ashley Porter watching?' springs to mind

Have to laugh at literally every person giving Sloane the 3 votes except for Porter who doesn't even list him at all. I will be very happy for the Crows to claim Byrne-Jones though :3:

Very sad that this racist bullshit has continued to occur at Showdowns. I don't think it's a South Australian problem in particular, but it sure as hell is a Showdown problem. Not acceptable and the people doing it need to barred from attending the football ever again.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Also a new set of scans this week finally revealed Jenkins has broken ribs as well as cartilage damage, so Cheap Shot Miles really is shaping up as a worthy successor to Knees Mitchell and Good Bloke Hodge.

I don't know much about medical scans and stuff, but how could it take literally weeks to diagnose broken ribs when you're literally looking for them?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Oh, North. Again??

realbez posted:

The deliberate out of bounds/rushed behind and holding the ball interpretations this year are really bad. Add in the idiotic ruck stuff, and I think the rules are the most confusing and annoying they have ever been.

Every year the AFL seems to come out and say "GREAT NEWS GUYS WE'RE GOING TO BE EVEN TOUGHER ON DELIBERATE CALLS!" as though it's a good thing. Honestly, short of a player literally turning 90 degrees and booting the ball to skid out of bounds in a paddock I'd be happy to never see a deliberate call paid again.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
This GWS vs Port game is actually really good!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Good ol' Burkey. Next he'll declare that trading for Darren Jarman was a good choice in the 90s, too.

Betts silenced critics of the trade within about six weeks of his first season at the Crows.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

strap on revenge posted:

drat we snatched top of the ladder from adelaide

Shenanigans!! :argh:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
How many times has North done that now in the last few years? It's staggering how often they manage to lose unloseable games in the last minute of the match.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Is there any reason they did the B&F so late? The season finished a month ago.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Daniel Talia hobbles off the ground the first minute of the game with a hamstring injury. Riley Knight leaves the game with minutes left in the last, and has his hamstring iced as a precaution against a slight twinge.

Riley Knight is going to miss a week with a hamstring strain. Daniel Talia has no hamstring injury and will play this week.

:what:

Coming off and not playing the rest of the game probably helped. Reminds me of the time Brodie Martin did his ACL, played the rest of the game and was best on for the Crows, and then didn't play a match for over 12 months.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

The CBA has been done, I think the top 10% of players who benefit at the expense of the rest got most of what they wanted with Free Agency changes

Rookie changes need to be explained better though, not sure if that mean the rookie list is going or just the playing restrictions.

So wait, does this mean there will still be rookies as there exist at the moment but only for category B rookies?

It would be kind of absurd if we had a situation where Paul Hunter would be eligible to play AFL footy but Hugh Greenwood wouldn't.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

racing identity posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/nathan-brown-sledges-a-player-on-every-single-team

Stick to shilling for bookmakers Browny

I feel a bit thick but I genuinely don't even get some of them. What am I missing in these zingers?

Brisbane: Allen Christensen - "I'd wander over to Allen Christensen and question why he was driven out of Geelong"
GWS: Toby Greene - "I hear they do a great parma at Zagame's"
Hawthorn: Ty Vickery - "I'd question whether Jake King was trying to extort money out of Hawthorn to get it back"

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Shmoses posted:

The rumour is Christensen was sleeping with someone's wife

Greene faced court for belting a bouncer at Caulfield Zagame's

Ty enlisted Jake King's help to try and get some money back from a business partner who'd been rorting him

No wonder I've never been any good at sledging - I don't keep up with gossip enough!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Another funny team.

We really ought to copy the NBA all star model, and have selections decided by 50% fan vote, 25% player vote, and 25% accredited media vote, that way we can stop pretending the AA selectors have any credibility and treat it like the agenda and bias driven exercise it's already been for years - except have a lot more fun in the process.

You're just pissed that Matt Crouch has been rightly recognised for his AA-quality season :3:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Rance is excellent at the role he plays, no question about that. It is a little annoying that Talia has been overlooked the last few years in favour of Rance when Talia is an infinitely better stopper. I know I'm biased, but Talia is the best stopper in the comp bar none and has been for several seasons now. It would be nice if the AA side was actually picked for balance. Still, I get it. Rance is an excellent defender in the same vein as someone like Scarlett, that is, an above average stopper who also has a bunch of other extremely useful assets. Deserves his place in the AA side.

Now, what on earth he's doing as AA captain, on the other hand...

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 30, 2017

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Ryder is exceptional, he was the only real contender for the ruckman spot besides Jacobs in my opinion. Jacobs is a considerably better ruckman, but Ryder has more strings to his bow. That said, I still think Jacobs is underrated as a linkman, especially given the way the Crows play, looking for turnovers and then streaming through the middle. I haven't checked but I bet Jacobs' involvements in scoring chains is huge for a big man.

I genuinely think it's reasonable to say that Ryder is the largest reason that Port went from their lackluster 2016 form to knocking on the top 4 this year.

Gray is an interesting case. He's a lot like Betts in that he will play a handful of games each year where he completely obliterates a side, and also a handful of games each year where he's practically invisible. He probably benefits being in a non-Victorian side, where his invisible games go unnoticed while the highlights packages of his BOG performances end up on every footy show.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 30, 2017

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
By and large I don't mind the footy media, but it is annoying how often "<journalist x/news outlet x> believes that" is used as a fancy way of saying "I spoke to someone who speculated that something might be true".

If you think something might be true but don't have evidence (yet), just say so. We'll still read the columns.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
We might still win. I'm trying to work out who GWS will try to tag instead of Sloane. Brad Crouch, maybe?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I am very happy the Crows won :) The last (and only) time the Crows had a home prelim final in 2006 I was overseas and had to listen to us lose it on a lovely internet radio stream.

Devastated for Brodie Smith though :( Looks almost certain to be an ACL, which could see him miss all of next season as well.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Apolis posted:

I thought Milera looked promising when I've seen him play?

Sure, but he's not going to play McGovern's role.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I feel like such an idiot for genuinely believing the "Sam Newman is actually a decent guy who just plays a character for the camera" line for so long. gently caress him.

I'm really scared the Crows might lose tonight :ohdear: Prove me wrong boys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
But if we lose we open the door for Geelong to get their assed kicked by Richmond again in the GF. I think we have a responsibility to Australia to close the door on that possibility.

• Locked thread