Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Just because something is symbolic doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Even things like 'gun' or 'chair' can only be thought of as symbols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
MAKE EARTH GREATER THAN EVER BEFORE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNlby8jiSug

Ancestors PLUS

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Are there D&D Hillarymen castaways in this thread or something?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yossarian-22 posted:

Are there D&D Hillarymen castaways in this thread or something?

Nah those ninnies aren't here - we cool. The real Hillarymen won't criticize Obama because *the legacy* and party unity.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

MizPiz posted:

And since then, the Pakistani government has been fighting against the Taliban, with members of the military arming and training independent groups (usually tribal clans) to fight against them. The exception to that are the members of the military who are arming and training clans that are a part of or allied to the Taliban, which is why your assumption that the Pakistani government is a hegemonic force is adorable.

actually the Pakistani government fights against the Taliban mostly because the US tells them to and threatened to bomb them back to the stone age if they don't.

the Pakistani government knows that the US was gonna leave Afghanistan because that's what americans always do: leave after a few years, they need the Taliban and other Islamist militant groups to fight proxy wars mostly against India specially in Kashmir and in Afghanistan although sometimes they go further than that (i.e Mumbai). The reason why they backed the most fundamentalist group of Islamists is precisely because those guys will never defect over to Russia or India.

So Pakistan basically fights them just enough so the US don't get too pissed but on the long run very much want to preserve those groups. Pakistan sees itself as in an eternal war against India which it can no longer match conventionally because the Indian economy is doing so much better. So it resorts to two asymmetrical weapons: Islamic militants on one hand and nuclear weapons on the other, because it's no longer capable of fighting and winning a real war against India.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

rudatron posted:

No they loving do not you psycopath.

the only states which places equal or higher value on non-citizens as its own people are basically countries which are poor enough that a US/China/Russia/w/e citizen being killed in their country would decrease tourism enough to hurt their economy that they have to care about them more

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Typo posted:

the only states which places equal or higher value on non-citizens as its own people are basically countries which are poor enough that a US/China/Russia/w/e citizen being killed in their country would decrease tourism enough to hurt their economy that they have to care about them more

yikes

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

"Drone (strikes) come at you fast." - Obama

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

rudatron posted:

Just because something is symbolic doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Even things like 'gun' or 'chair' can only be thought of as symbols.

you can say a chair doesn't exist but I can still sit on it

the government can say my rights don't exist and then I'm dead

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
typo is wrong but less wrong than most

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

spacetoaster posted:

Except for all the money, guns, and bombs. Yeah.

Then there was the whole "red line ya'll! don't cross that line, or else!" lol

Obama was the best.

Isn't the entire reason ISIS is so strong because Obama went ahead and armed and funded everyone who didn't like Assad and then they turned out to be Radical Islamic Terrorists (tm)?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

uh no they are Moderate Rebels

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Trumpenproletariat posted:

Isn't the entire reason ISIS is so strong because Obama went ahead and armed and funded everyone who didn't like Assad and then they turned out to be Radical Islamic Terrorists (tm)?

Obama would never use the term islamic terrorist. :colbert:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Typo posted:

States are a political structure, they exist to serve the needs of actually existing human beings. If the nation-state system does not serve the interests of actual human beings, then it should be abolished and replaced with a system that can. If that's not possible, it should at least be constrained from committing atrocities. An example of such constraint would be to deny the right of 'states' to do whatever the gently caress they want to people who aren't citizens, because that's dumb.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

rudatron posted:

States are a political structure, they exist to serve the needs of actually existing human beings. If the nation-state system does not serve the interests of actual human beings, then it should be abolished and replaced with a system that can. If that's not possible, it should at least be constrained from committing atrocities. An example of such constraint would be to deny the right of 'states' to do whatever the gently caress they want to people who aren't citizens, because that's dumb.

nice! :golfclap:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

No, but I'm sure that will be the narrative forever because only America has the power to make anyone do anything anywhere.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

obama's about to go to loving jail forever :getin:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Obama had no problems with the saudis.

trump would never bow

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

also because they got a huge chunk of manpower from people we threw in prison in the iraq war and then just left there

http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/06/26/the-great-iraqi-jail-break/

american and russian weapons have been flowing into the middle east for decades through all sorts of vectors

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Typo posted:

the funny thing is obama actually really pissed off wall street cuz he wouldn't do poo poo like have dinner or take photos with their ceos while at the same time pissing off the liberal base and the tea party by not punishing any of them for 2008

centrist governance appealing to moderates!

They live among us, the moderates, if what they have can be called life. You’ve probably seen them, strolling on the streets and driving in their cars and looking every bit like the human beings they aren’t; maybe you happen to be one yourself. There are (but why?) people who will go out in the evening and drink exactly one half of a bottle of wine; people who think the new Simpsons episodes are still pretty funny; people who can look at the sheer swirling insanity that surrounds us, the artificial famines and the drowning refugees and the suffocating alienation, and declare themselves to be moderate in relation to it. Things aren’t perfect, but a few tweaks here and there should set things straight: raise the top income tax bracket (but not by too much), legalise marijuana (but not any of the interesting drugs), overthrow the Assad government in Syria, casual Fridays at the office and police action against internet trolls; forge a world that’s basically the same but a little bit nicer. For those of us suffering from compulsive self-destruction, chronic back pain, vague and unexplained sexual guilt, amphetamine withdrawal, and a quiet but persistent voice in the back of our heads that regales us with a nightly lullaby about every lovely thing we’ve ever done – in other words, for those of us with a normal and healthy response to life under late capitalism – the moderates take on demoniac proportions. There’s nothing quite so revolting as another person’s happiness. In the United States prescription drugs are routinely advertised on TV: the pictures show attractive middle-aged white people taking picnics, riding bicycles, not being dead, etc., while a cheery voice quickly runs through all the drug’s potentially lethal side-effects. It would take the forbearance of a coma patient not to wish every single one of them – from dizziness and erectile dysfunction through to thrombocytopaenia, atrial fibrillation, and instant death – on these blithely fictional ghouls. The foundations of social and biological life are collapsing around them, and they ride their bikes through a verdant meadow drenched in sunlight, just so grateful to finally be rid of their osteoarthritis

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe Democrats will take the way the GOP is treating Barack despite the fact that he practically kowtowed to them as proof that they should stop acting like compromise is po-Bwahahahahahahehgaspsnorthahahaha

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

rudatron posted:

states are simply outgrowth of tribes and tribalism, they exist to serve specifically groups of human beings in a world where different groups of people love to kill each other. It does not serve the needs of every single person on the planet.

the alternative is of course one-world government, every attempt at establishing something like it have resulted in incredible amount of blood spilled for very disappointing results

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

no one has ever tried to establish a "one world government" wtf are you talking about

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

the black husserl posted:

no one has ever tried to establish a "one world government" wtf are you talking about

Remember that one time George Bush Sr said something about a New World Order. That was totally him signally that the Illuminati has taken over the world and to start releasing chemtrails.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

the black husserl posted:

a whole lotta empires in the ancient world only stopped expanding because they failed/couldn't afford to go any further and if they hadn't fallen apart would've gleefully conquered the world as they knew it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo is one of the morons in the dumb & gay LF thread who thought he'd finally be the one to defeat Marxism with liberal logic. You're all wasting your time.

Even the premise that the United States has a right to kill anyone they believe is a threat to its citizens, including all potential collateral damage - is specious. Because the vast majority of people we're bombing aren't a threat to the United States and probably were never going to be. What we're really doing is bombing people considered enemies by our "client" states.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I thought black quarter backs were supposed to be all Jiving and juking op

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Typo is one of the morons in the dumb & gay LF thread who thought he'd finally be the one to defeat Marxism with liberal logic.

lol you still not over the communism thread

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Coolness Averted posted:

a whole lotta empires in the ancient world only stopped expanding because they failed/couldn't afford to go any further and if they hadn't fallen apart would've gleefully conquered the world as they knew it.

or even modern ones for that matter like the nazis and the early ussr: one of the reasons why the ussr was federated is cuz lenin thought if there's more conquests like poland or revolutions they could incorporate them into the ussr as SSRs

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Typo posted:

or even modern ones for that matter like the nazis and the early ussr: one of the reasons why the ussr was federated is cuz lenin thought if there's more conquests like poland or revolutions they could incorporate them into the ussr as SSRs

no that's nonsense Lenin was totally faithful to the principle of self-determination*

*except in cases of georgia, ukraine, poland, azerbaijan,

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

lol you still not over the communism thread

The point is that you're a sociopathic sophist and your posting is bad.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The point is that you're a sociopathic sophist and your posting is bad.

*marxposter bursts into thread* "let us not forget the many extremely reactionary posts that forums user 'typo' has made in the hoxaism thread, which should be more than enough to discredit him"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Typo posted:

the funny thing is obama actually really pissed off wall street

lol, whatever.

Obama was bailing out wall street immediately after taking office. Like, he is literally a corporate whore.

I stand by my statement that he was a great republican president.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

*marxposter bursts into thread* "let us not forget the many extremely reactionary posts that forums user 'typo' has made in the hoxaism thread, which should be more than enough to discredit him"

Go away.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 08:07 on Mar 6, 2017

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

spacetoaster posted:

lol, whatever.

Obama was bailing out wall street immediately after taking office. Like, he is literally a corporate whore.

whores can still get bad yelp reviews, I think

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Coolness Averted posted:

whores can still get bad yelp reviews, I think

It's just word of mouth with corporate whores.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

spacetoaster posted:

lol, whatever.

wasn't the bailout passed by Bush?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Typo posted:

yeah obama actually didn't do anything he gets credit for

Bailed out banks on bush's terms & did nothing to fix anything
left iraq on Bush's terms, still in every other goddamn country
Did hillary's healthcare plan and never ever sought to improve on it after it stuck
Osama was actually already long dead, due to diabetes

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vladimir Putin posted:

The more I found out about the Bin Laden raid the more that I came to realize how special Obama is. The Bin Laden raid took a lot of guts because the downside risk was so great--so many things could have gone wrong including but not limited to Pakistan F-16's shooting down the helicopters or American jets shooting down Pakistani jets to defend the helos, the SEAL team taken captive, the whole SEAL team dying, a poo poo load of people dying but Bin Laden was never really there, a poo poo load of people dying but Bin Laden got away, the Seal team walked into a trap, a shitload of civilians getting killed in the operation, etc....

And the thing is, a shitload of advisors, including Biden, told him not to do it. He could have just walked away from it and nobody would have faulted him. Certainly the American public would never have known. If he cared about himself or his own image, his own legacy, he certainly wouldn't have done it. but he went ahead with it anyway, and like a gangster went to the correspondence dinner like nothing was going on. I'm convinced that he did it because he thought it was the right thing to do for his country, and was willing to risk his own legacy. And you look at all the other decisions he's made since then, and you will see it's always driven by what he thinks is best for the country, even if it puts his own image or legacy at risk. Even more amazing to me is that he was maybe 48-49 at the time. If you take into consideration the time he spent in law school, there's no way that he could have ever encountered a situation previously that prepared him for something like this.

Like I said, I voted for him in 2008, but at the time I wasn't a real big fan. Since then, I have been amazed at how courageous, self-sacrificing, and how dignified he is. I feel lucky that he is (until this Friday) our president.

You're an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Typo posted:

Bush passed one, yes.

But Obama had his very own called The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

He also bailed out GM too.

Like I said. A good Republican.

• Locked thread