Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

One more way to get burned on AliExpress: Buy what you want, then two days later there's a sale. Congratulations on the feeling of being ripped off!

I feel like there’s something on there about making up the difference in cases like this? Not sure if you have to formally file for it or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I bought a knockoff competition recurve bow from Aliexpress.

They sent it in two packages; the limbs went in one and the handle(riser) went in another. Where it gets weird is that even though I'm in California, the riser ended up going all the way to customs in Chicago and it's just now getting on its way back to me.

But the limbs got to me in like a week?

Maybe the riser qualified as some kind of imported weapon idk

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

codo27 posted:

Anyone hosed with car stereos? I got an ATOTO deck for my old CRV but my dad's '11 Silverado just has an aux port and no Bluetooth. Pointless to bother with Android auto or anything for him but a unit with Bluetooth and built in storage or a port for a card or flash drive would be great to provide him with some music. A remote for volume/song skip that could attach to the wheel would be great as well as it doesn't have those either.

just get a bluetooth fm transmitter for the cigarette lighter, also means you don’t have to suffer any weird software car play

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

codo27 posted:

Anyone hosed with car stereos? I got an ATOTO deck for my old CRV but my dad's '11 Silverado just has an aux port and no Bluetooth. Pointless to bother with Android auto or anything for him but a unit with Bluetooth and built in storage or a port for a card or flash drive would be great to provide him with some music. A remote for volume/song skip that could attach to the wheel would be great as well as it doesn't have those either.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EuVLglp
I installed one of these and it's been great

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Jel Shaker posted:

just get a bluetooth fm transmitter for the cigarette lighter, also means you don’t have to suffer any weird software car play

Instead you can suffer with two times the connectivity and sound quality on par with am talk radio

A bluetooth to aux adapter is the way to go on the cheap

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If the car doesn't already have aux you can probably find an aftermarket adapter that plugs into the back of the stock radio to add a port

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

codo27 posted:

I have an 8th gen Dell as my htpc, but video playback can be a bit laggy sometimes. Outputting to a 4k TV, these n100 boxes can't really be better can they?

I dropped my 8th gen dell optiplex down to 30 refresh rate instead of 60 and it's been great on my 4k TV. If you do other stuff with it like try to game at 60fps this may bother you but since TV/movies are below 30fps it doesn't matter for that. Also doesn't apply if for some reason you have a 120hz TV & watch content actually at that refresh rate I guess.

El Fideo posted:

The drama department I teach in is opening Xanadu at the end of the month, and I want to dress up for the performances. I have a black and gold velvet track suit that should do nicely, but obviously I need a tank top to go with that. Any suggestions??? Gaudy/tacky is good, but it's a high school play, so not too far outside the bounds of decency.

Are you guys... doing the roller skating for a HS production? Weird choice of a show

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 15, 2024

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

If the car doesn't already have aux you can probably find an aftermarket adapter that plugs into the back of the stock radio to add a port

I have an adapter that connects to the "multi disc CD changer" port so the track skip controls on my steering wheel work. I don't think the CD changer was still an option when my car was new, but the port was still there.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

I don't even know exactly what I'll use this for, and I'll need a US adapter, but this is a killer enough deal to give it a shot. Thanks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Troubadour posted:

I don't even know exactly what I'll use this for, and I'll need a US adapter, but this is a killer enough deal to give it a shot. Thanks.

Lmao I hit buy so fast I didn’t even realize the adapter part haha

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Is there anyway to calculate how much power I will be saving with this N100 box instead of my Dell refub OptiPlex box running 24x7 on an annual basis?

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
It is absolutely possible to estimate, but you might need more hardware to get an accurate number.

I just checked my power bill and it cost 8.something cents / KWh last month at the winter rate. I could look up older bills to find the rate year-round, but :effort:

The power draw for these small systems is something like 10-15W at idle (https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeServer/comments/173sygj/guess_the_power_consumption_of_intel_n100_machine/) and let's say 20w at an upper bound under load. Let's assume it is pulling 20w every hour of the day every day of the year.

$.08*(20/1000w) * 24h * 365d = $14.02 for a year. I think this is a safe upper bound for just the machine.

If you compare this to a machine that takes, say, 50w for the same time frame, you'd be saving about $20 per year. It really depends on the power draw of the other system.

If you want an accurate measurement, you can pick up a power draw meter like in the linked reddit thread. I don't own one but Kill A Watt is mentioned regularly in reviews that measure power use.

Keep in mind though that your optiplex is also probably powering hard drives with platters and that will change your calculations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is there anyway to calculate how much power I will be saving with this N100 box instead of my Dell refub OptiPlex box running 24x7 on an annual basis?
Yes but you'd need to know how much power your current OptiPlex draws.

My Optiplex is like 35W (but has a GTX 1070)
The N100 is 6.5W

Multiply by hours in year (8765) and it works out to about 57kWh vs 306kWh, or about $50/yr at my prices. I don't keep either running nonstop thuogh.

MarcusSA posted:

Lmao I hit buy so fast I didn’t even realize the adapter part haha
I didn't realize it was EU only, usually they have an option to pick a different plug/adapter. If it's using the same power supply, it's good for 100-240v 50/60hz so you would be fine with just a simple plug adapter. Worst case, it takes 12V from a barrel jack.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sentient Data posted:

Yeah this is very model specific obviously but I hacked a BT receiver (from ali of course: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001570712073.html) into my car's aux input and it's worked flawlessly for years. My phone just connects automatically and plays through the speakers.

For a different car I got an Android head unit (not Anroid Auto, it literally just runs android so you can do whatever) and it acts as BT sink too if I don't want to play music from its storage. A decent and pretty cheap option too: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005744062871.html (not this specific one)

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

This summer I’ll be drilling more holes in my car so I can install the 360 degree camera kit that came with my newest AliExpress android radio.

Those radios are insane value even if they usually only last a couple years before they become obsolete. I’ve never had one stop working though.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I brought a couple "15A" power monitoring outlets from Amazon. I don't know how much is 15A but they should be enough to calculate my closet box power consumption in real life before I buy this N100 box.

Btw are the AMD mini pc more power efficient than N100 since those Zen chips are fabbed by TSMC instead of less advanced intel fab?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

you multiply the amp handling by your outlet voltage to get the max power rating, 15A * 120V is 1800 watts max, but you should ideally stay well below 1000 watts because those amp ratings are usually exaggerated and I would not trust a cheap smart plug not to melt if you pull 1800 watts through it for more than a couple minutes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah this is very model specific obviously but I hacked a BT receiver (from ali of course: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001570712073.html) into my car's aux input and it's worked flawlessly for years. My phone just connects automatically and plays through the speakers.

For a different car I got an Android head unit (not Anroid Auto, it literally just runs android so you can do whatever) and it acts as BT sink too if I don't want to play music from its storage. A decent and pretty cheap option too: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005744062871.html (not this specific one)

Walmart has this one for $54 :shrug:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/32...=9383&sharedid=

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the heads up about the N100 sale. Got the 16/512 model for 120€ shipped instead of the usual 160€.
About time to replace the ancient Intel NUC I've been using as a server.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

I brought a couple "15A" power monitoring outlets from Amazon. I don't know how much is 15A but they should be enough to calculate my closet box power consumption in real life before I buy this N100 box.

Btw are the AMD mini pc more power efficient than N100 since those Zen chips are fabbed by TSMC instead of less advanced intel fab?
Yes 15A is more than enough to measure a PC. (see post above)

The Zen is probably going to be more efficient if you're running it at full load but if the PC is going to be idle 99% of the time, it doesn't really matter. And I doubt AMD is going to do better than like 6.5W idle.

Yeah or something like that. Pretty sure I've seen them on ali too.

Check the specs though for a reasonable amount of RAM and non-garbage CPU. The one I got ages ago from Banggood is struggling to run the latest version Google Maps. Though otherwise it's still working fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

The Zen is probably going to be more efficient if you're running it at full load but if the PC is going to be idle 99% of the time, it doesn't really matter. And I doubt AMD is going to do better than like 6.5W idle.

Afaik the amd ones are significantly more expensive as well so it would take years to recover the extra cost.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I ordered the cheapest airbrush I could find...for something. not sure what yet but one day I'll know

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MarcusSA posted:

Afaik the amd ones are significantly more expensive as well so it would take years to recover the extra cost.

I bought one of the less than $300 AMDs so I could off-load my transcoding from my day to day use machines.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

PokeJoe posted:

I ordered the cheapest airbrush I could find...for something. not sure what yet but one day I'll know

Sick wizard van

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I bought one of the less than $300 AMDs so I could off-load my transcoding from my day to day use machines.

Yeah but these n100s are like $80-100

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

big black turnout posted:

Sick wizard van

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hell yeah

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Really solid deal for the 16gb / 512 model for $100.

I just ordered one.

Yeah so did I - it was showing "1 left" when I did the checkout so I figure there's a 50/50 chance I get one.

More like $200 in AUD though :(

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Ok do I need a EU plug to US plug adopter to use the N100?

Somebody give me an ali link

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Troubadour posted:

If you want an accurate measurement, you can pick up a power draw meter like in the linked reddit thread. I don't own one but Kill A Watt is mentioned regularly in reviews that measure power use.

It's also not uncommon for local libraries to have them to lend out too! :eng101:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

someone in the replies is running GTA 5 in that tiny box PC lol.

never looked into these much are they actually kinda decent? 🤔 don't want a EU plug but the concept intrigues me

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

someone in the replies is running GTA 5 in that tiny box PC lol.

never looked into these much are they actually kinda decent? 🤔 don't want a EU plug but the concept intrigues me

Someone in another thread mentioned it could be powered by usb c but I didn’t check that claim

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im considering getting one as a gift for a friend who is lacking in the gaming PC department if they can play reasonably modern games at low settings and can be had for ~$150. is this a thing that exists?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You won't need to use the eu plug, you can use any wall wart as long as the specs and pins are correct. Once you receive it you can see what the plug is supposed to spit out, DC is DC so long as you have the right number of pixies going on the right direction (my guess is a 19.5v laptop brick, but that's just purely a guess)

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
You can get 2 EU-US plug adapters for $6 on Amazon, assuming the supplied adapter is normal and supports 120-240v. Or get a random universal power adapter for around $10.

BTW here's a report from an author on Ars talking about his experience with these boxes.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/what-i-learned-when-i-replaced-my-cheap-pi-5-pc-with-a-no-name-amazon-mini-desktop/

Troubadour fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 16, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

im considering getting one as a gift for a friend who is lacking in the gaming PC department if they can play reasonably modern games at low settings and can be had for ~$150. is this a thing that exists?

You’d be looking at the AMD offerings which are roughly $200 ish but the problem is something like this would blow all of them out of the water

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

where do i find that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

where do i find that

Looks like the deal just expired.

https://slickdeals.net/f/17427489-c...&src=SiteSearch

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I feel like there’s something on there about making up the difference in cases like this? Not sure if you have to formally file for it or anything.

I can't find anything like that on their web site, at least. If anyone knows, please let me know so I can save $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006663378626.html

I love that you can stick an oled display panel in your 25 year old gameboy now. I think it's 640x640 internally and using a 4x integer scale with optional pixel grid effects