Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I really want to buy something but last night, Google Pay stopped me to verify my Visa. Now when I try to check out, I get this error:

"Please check your outstanding orders as the discount has already been used."

I'm 100% sure no orders have gone through, so I've definitely not used the discount before. The store coupon is perma-applied to my account so I can't even remove it. I can un-apply it at checkout, but it still gives that error. Just let me spend my money damnit! I might have to make a whole new account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got this thing this week:

Blueretro is an open source standard for connecting bluetooth controllers to retro consoles. It's somewhat easy to DIY, but this storefront sells pre-built units and dongles for really cheap (maybe cheaper than DIY). It's $12 for the receiver, and $9 for each double donger. I was so pleased using it on Gamecube I went ahead and ordered N64, GEN, PS, SNES, and Wii adapters. It supports several controllers on one receiver, and they sell 4 player adapters for N64 and GC (and it emulates a multitap)

Only problem I've had so far is sometimes my controller doesn't connect automatically and I have to re-pair.

Aliexpress link

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Are any of the cheap Chinese mechanical keyboards recommended? Anything on Ali? My mechanical from 2013 just died and it was the cheapest one out there at the time ($80). I was shocked to see there are options as low as $30 now.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

yoloer420 posted:

Do they work well with 8bitdo controllers? I'd be keen to get something like this so I can use those with more consoles but buy less adaptors :o
I'm using it with a 8bitdo pro 2 and it works great. I've tried it on Gamecube, N64, and Genesis and the buttons all mapped logically without any futzing. You need to flash the universal firmware when you get the device. I move the core between consoles and it has no issues (it remembers the controller pairing), so you really only need one core unless you want multiple for convenience.

8bitdo is on the high end for latency, but it should still only be 1 added frame of lag at the worst.

Some other fun things it does is it will emulate a multi-tap on consoles that support them, so you can pair 7 controllers through one adapter. Also it supports BT keyboard and mouse for things like the Dreamcast and PS2 and SNES mouse. The developer is very active and the feature set will likely keep expanding.

A few issues I've had: figuring out which mode to use on the 8bitdo was tricky. X-input was giving me wacky mapping on Gamecube and non-analog sticks. Switching to one of the others made it work fine. I couldn't flash the thing with Windows for some reason, but flashing via BT on my phone using the web interface worked fine, and was easier than using a PC anyway. Finally, there's been a few instances where I had to re-pair because I was getting weird inputs - once on Gamecube and once on Genesis. In both cases it was obviously messed up upon boot, so it's not like it interrupted gameplay or anything.

I'm re-doing my retro game room setup in the future and all the old controllers are going into storage. I'm planning on using this going forward for everything.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cascadia Pirate posted:

If you're in the US I feel like the Harbor Freight ones are cheap and fine but I've never used one myself.

Harbor freight ones are $10 right now for black Friday. I think that goes for another day or two.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cable Guy posted:

Torch chat might come up again so I'll post what I bought a couple of years ago in a three-for deal...

https://www.nanoflashlights.com.au/collections/best-sellers/products/nano-t-pro-aluminium-3-pack

It's small enough to fit on a keyring so it's always with me, charges of USB micro (a charge lasts 'forever' if you don't use it too much... I've chatged mine like three times since I bought it and it didn't really need it), is fekking bright (has 3 levels) and has an easily switched on strobe function to dazzle the poo poo out of any muggers.

Pricey, but worth it.

I have the Rovyvon equivalent and it's fantastic for a keychain light. Fairly cheap too:
https://a.co/d/jd8HbEL

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

deong posted:

I'd like to get one of the super reflective jackets for cycling; but any one have any idea how long they last? Do I need to start out with two? Are the Adidas/Nike ones better longevity?

e: Actually, not sure nike/adidas even make them. I'm surprised.

I don't have any experience but you might want to check your local Walmart because they've had high-vis stuff on clearance for the past few weeks in sporting goods.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

deong posted:

Thanks.
I'm looking at this type at Walmart.com, but it just looks like the Ali brand (this is DECILRO).

I think the in-store clearance items were mostly things like hunting vests, rather than fully reflective windbreakers like those. Sorry!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Im assuming those mini pcs are piss easy to install Kodi on like most mini pcs are? I’m needing something since raspberry pi’s have been non existent for years.

Chromecast with Google TV might be a decent option.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The anniversary sale has me eyeing two retro gaming products and I'm torn between them:

RetroScaler 2x is $49 (normally around $52) -$5 -$1 = $43
OSSC is $122 (not sure normal price) -$20 -$15 -$1 = $86

The Retroscaler is their ripoff of the Retrotink 2x. The OSSC should just be an ossc since it's open source.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I used that 2x for a while before I got a real Retrotink 5x. It does a perfectly respectable job.

I ended up going with this because my TV is really old and is picky with resolutions, and I couldn't find any compatibility info on the OSSC so I'm guessing it won't play well at higher resolutions.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I bought one of the CuteBee book nook kits and it was pretty great:

This one was music themed and it came with a bunch of fake album covers, half of which were Coldplay for some reason. So I printed up some custom albums and pasted them onto thinner cardboard and they turned out great. They also include a bunch of weird-looking vinyl records they expect you to use, but there's enough normal-looking ones included as well to substitute. One of the pieces was a disc with Michael Jackson's hollywood walk of fame star printed on it, and you're supposed to put it on the Victrola. :confused: (I just used a record piece) So if you get this kit, don't be afraid to customize so things make more sense.

The instructions on these kits are perfect. The 3D renders exactly match the pieces and I was never confused. The tolerances are pretty tight, so you need to file some things down sometimes, but it all holds together snugly. The LEDs look great and there is a touch-sensitive on/off button in the front. It took me maybe 10 hours to put it all together. Highly recommended for <$40.

link to the one I got

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

everdave posted:

That would look so cool installed in a fake mouse hole type thing somewhere in a house. I remember my library as a kid had a little living room set up in a mouse hole I just loved when I was super young

It looks great in my bookcase!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

This look loving amazing.

Are the lights run on battery and manually turn on/off or you can do motion activation?

It runs off a AAA battery pack that hides in a trap door in the back. There's a touch sensor in the floor at the front. The LEDs plug into it, so maybe it would be simple to wire it into a 3v power supply and some sort of motion sensor?

I think some of the older kits have a physical switch on the back, which seems like a pain. I'd recommend one with a front switch at least.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's the Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steel Edition dice!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Thanks again to the goon (flashy_mcflash?) who recommended those soft, lightweight blankets/throws. We keep ours on our bed year-round, either by itself in summer or under a duvet for extra, adjustable warmth in the colder months. And it's great to cozy up with on the couch, too. Incredibly soft and comfortable. One of my best Ali purchases!
I bought one from the second vendor and it's true - these are great blankets. Perfect for summer sleeping.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

Has anyone had good experiences with printed aliexpress mouse pads or do they all fall apart? I'm most concerned about if they are inkjet printed and end up staining everything with ink.

I heard about http://www.vintage-mousepads.website/index.htm in a LGR video and ordered a couple mousepads from the vistaprint service the website suggests, but it gets expensive if I want to collect all of the designs.

You missed the good old days of artscow selling custom mouse pads for 99 cents shipped. that code was around for years and they were good quality.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I bought this solar pendant light for my shed, which has no power to run any lights:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804805134422.html

It works pretty great! It's motion sensitive so as soon as I open the door, the light turns on.

Note the light is much dimmer IRL than my photo makes it appear. It's plenty to see inside the tiny shed, though. Probably brighter than using my phone as a flashlight, which is what I had to do at night before. The remote is useless - you'll want to set it to motion sensitive on the brightest setting and just leave it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Anyone ever bought storage shelves on Ali? I'm looking at something like this:

Ali $34: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804961450537.html
Amazon $50: https://www.amazon.com/Topeakmart-Utility-Shelving-Adjustable-Shelving/dp/B0BQ6LGWRB/
Looks like in-store at Walmart and Home Depot is closer to $100.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

I wouldn't bother with heavy stuff like that from ali though.

Noted. I'll probably just keep an eye out for local second-hand units.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Do you need a really windy place like a beach to move it?

You can just gently blow on it and it walks. Here's a video of one I put together a few years ago (albeit from an expensive Otona no Kagaku kit):

https://i.imgur.com/qgyNUfe.mp4

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

didn't know these things existed before, and they're real useful as a "remote" for the chromebook i use as a sorta TV when it's not being my travel laptop

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805026843764.html

I just ordered one of these for $4.49 because it showed up in one of their "pick 3 'choice' items" sales. It was from this listing:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805669009569.html

I can't figure out any rhyme or reason to their sales. It seems like the "pick 3 items under 1.99" listings only show up on the mobile app, and it's usually deep discounts on things I've viewed recently. I got an Android endoscope camera for $2 shipped last time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got my generic macro keyboard today. It's 8 bucks on the listing I used, but it showed up as $4.50 shipped in one of the "pick 2 CHOICE items" pages for me.

The preferred way of programming these is using a program called ch57x-keyboard-tool on github. However I'm too dumb to get that working via command line in windows, so I ended up using some shady chinese software the guy in this youtube vid linked to. It was super easy but you might want to use an old scrap computer to do the programming if you're going to use that software (the mapping is saved to the device).

I just set mine up as a media keyboard and it's working great.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

It's a flexing bicep dummy!

If they wanted it to look like a bicep they would have added more veins.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

If you care at all about beam shape/quality, tint or CRI this is not remotely true.

For 90% of the population, flashlights were a solved problem once they got a smartphone. Of the remaining people, 90% are happy with a $15 rechargeable flashlight.

The 1% that are left are the only people who care about the stuff you listed.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Anyone planning on buying anything during the 11/11 sale? I'm thinking I might buy a Master System flash cart and maybe a Nextool multitool.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 10, 2023

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

There's some pretty good deals today. If you spend $100 $116, you get $16 off automatically and you can also apply $15 off with the AEUS15 code.

As always make sure the sellers aren't pulling any funny business with increasing prices, but at least for the items I'm interested in, the prices are down to normal today or a few bucks cheaper.

edit: here's what I went with:

wa27 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 11, 2023

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

I cant fault you for cheaping out on the multi tool. If I squeeze the pliers on my leatherman too hard, the rivets will pop right out. Had to replace it once already.

Supposedly that DL30 is a pretty good ripoff of the Leatherman Charge, except 1/5 the price and it has a full size bit holder and better scissors. We'll see how it feels.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

You can get a fake YouTube play button on Ali

1pc Customized high-end medals Honorably made aluminum alloy zinc alloy metal medals for home decoration
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKa7xQs

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Just use ear plugs.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

I found a doodoo CRT TV and picked it up, somebody help me pick a nes and SNES flash cart from ali
I would grab these
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOtrt4M
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtHQBXa

Or whatever the cheapest everdrive knockoff from a reputable seller is.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

namlosh posted:

I’ve never ordered from Ali but follow the thread for some reason and this caught my eye.
Does anyone have any experience/know about an Intellivision flash cart on Ali?
It may be wayyyy too niche, but thought I’d at least ask since last time I looked anywhere online there was like, one guy making them and they were $$$$

I don't think anything like that exists that's mass produced. I also keep hoping for a cheap Chinese Atari flash cart since there's a DIY open source one out there now, but no dice.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

Never got a bedframe from Wayfair but I've gotten a lot of other stuff and you get what you pay for. Lots of it is perfectly serviceable though and usually the same or even better than Ikea quality ime.

For what it's worth i replaced my steel frame w a wood slat one from Amazon last year and it's just fine. Don't need a box spring.

E: one of these specifically

You can easily assemble and disassemble this inside the bedroom too, it comes flat packed

I had one of these and after several years the middle supports started failing and tore the hell out of the vinyl floor at my last apartment. I replaced it with the metal foldable prison cot style someone mentioned above and it's been very good.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I got a battery eliminator, and I can report that it works fine. I got tired of charging the batteries to my two sets of battery-operated string lights, so I got the one that has 3 power leads, so I have both covered plus one extra. The link is to the one I bought on eBay, but they're also available on AliExpress.
Gonna use this as a really stupid way to power a Sega Game Gear.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zenostein posted:

Do combined shipping items get the same tracking number on ali? I can't tell if the thing I got in the same package as something I ordered is just a random thing that got packed in by mistake, or if I've been shipped the wrong thing — I ordered a laptop stand, and this package has what I assume is some sort of cellphone holder.

The other thing in the bag was correct, but looking on ali they've got two different tracking orders (and also both unhelpfully say they're at usps).

Typically mine get the same tracking number.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Obviously you can't look at the percentage or dollar discount amounts because it's almost always calculated off an imaginary MSRP. It's all up to the sellers and it should be no surprise that chinese storefronts are going to do that.

I looked through my recent orders and have noticed a few things that are cheaper now than when I ordered.

BlueRetro cables are a dollar cheaper: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804475562445.html

Cheapest I could find this microscope was $28 a few weeks ago. Now $23. It's sold by several retailers so don't necessarily use this link: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805829058053.html

Gamecube modkits are a few bucks cheaper: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806050693035.html
Actually it seems like Bitfunx has decent prices on most of their stuff during the sale. Around 10% off usual prices.

NES Everdrive is $2 cheaper than I could find it in December: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804843662470.html
Game Boy everdrive is $1 cheaper: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803430349796.html

I would say the best way to get ultra-cheap stuff is to use the "$1.99 choice" promos that's constantly on their homepage. If you add stuff to your wishlist, the algorithm is actually really good at serving you up things you might actually want, including things that are on your wishlist. Usually you have to add 3 things to get free shipping (or sometimes $10 worth of stuff). The last order I placed was this, this, and this. Buying these three things in the anniversary sale would be $19. Buying them all as part of the Choice listings was $8 with free shipping.

This only works for <$10 items though. Anything larger you're better off just watching prices. The sitewide coupon sales they do a few times per year like "$4 off every $20" are good for the more expensive stuff.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Just have faith and worry about it after 10 days.

I didn't even know there were American sellers on Ali.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This $4 piece of plastic is great and lets you attach your joy cons to your Switch in portraite mode. It's a knockoff of the Flip Grip, which is normally $15.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mN9snx8

It's nice for pinball games and vertical shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Manky posted:

As a proud owner of an original flipgrip, I think it's worth noting that it doesn't fit the OLED switches and they warn you against trying. I'm going to pick up one of those ali ones since I did upgrade to an OLED.

I should say I'm using an OG switch with the Ali one and it fits snugly and locks in. I'm guessing it's an exact clone of the official one, but the Ali seller just doesn't have any problem advertising it as compatible with both. From googling it sounds like a lot of people use the official one as well with the OLED.

Or maybe the clone has been tweaked to fix whatever the issue with OLEDs is. For $4.50 it's probably worth trying.